Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Never Tell Me the Odds

I'nu

Star Wars Never Tell Me the Odds

Theed: Never Tell Me the Odds

This wasn’t Ord Mantell. The air was too full, too meaningful. All the buildings were marked with beautiful, elegant, lavish architecture. Green tops, vanilla bottoms, and bright paths lit the city in magic. This wasn’t Ord Mantell, this was Theed of Naboo. That was a fact, a truth, an answer, but the question was what I’nu was doing here. Dribbling out the stream of faces in the crowd into markets, old shops, and landmarks, the mixed breed seemed to be a vacation. Problem was I’nu never really did vacations. To be a bit general, it was like he was always on a vacation, but nothing this grand. Naboo was a planet of promise, splendor, and that wasn’t him. Adventure rolled in his thought bubbles, dreams, and Naboo was far too peaceful for such a restless mind. Even as he blended in, despite his unique looks, the question was still posed.

What was he doing here?

No one would ask it, though. No one cared enough. Nobody really wanted to go out their way and ask a young buck what he was doing on this side of town…or the galaxy, it wasn’t their business. Politeness over sincerity of course, because it was certainly on a few patron’s tongue. A Cathar and Zeltron mix wasn’t common, anywhere, in the galaxy. People were interested when they saw him, he was different. And maybe he was just too different.

The smiles he caught were a bit too pleasant. The lips widen a bit too far, like it was force. He felt uneasy. Naboo wasn’t like Tatooine, Corulag, or even Corellia. It was an earthy Coruscant. The political air was thick, and he hated taking in breathe sometimes. Running his credit, swiping, and walking out with bags caught each strangers attention. The uneasiness only built as he trickled back into the crowds of the street. Both his sharp, hazel eyes shot over his shoulder, catching a glimpse of the people behind him. They didn’t look at him spot on, but they were watching. They were all watching.

Of course, this was all in his mind…or was it?

The question kept rising, along with the reason with the one about why he was here. Truth was that he didn’t know the answer to either question, and it was that which unnerved him. Even though he hated school, as a child, he loved having the answer. I’nu rarely raised his hand; he was half-shy…coy. But he was slick, and his answers were witty, and when he was called on he was sharp. Not sharp like a knife or a blade, but like Krayt dragon’s fangs. There was something natural, potent, and unmanufactured about his mind. It worked quite organically. Sometimes thoughts balm succinctly, and other times the thought bubbles pulled like an endless thread.

This time the thoughts came like long threads.

He couldn’t sow it into words. He rather not try. I’nu hated sounding mumbled. He didn’t care about rambling, but he liked sounding like himself, and he was cool. Trying was not in his reservoir, only doing and not doing. That was a note he picked up from his dad, the Teras Kasi champ. Unlike his father, though, he saw grey, lived in it even, but didn’t like it all that much. Such complications made his mind like it was at this moment…complicated. All the mix of emotions and thoughts made his eyes droop down; look at the ground, and face go blank. It was clear, he was in thought.

I’nu was trying to remember.

It was about a day or so back. He wasn’t all that sure, really, it went by fast. I’nu got stuck at a space station again. This time, it didn’t blow up, but he was on the escape. From what was something he rather not remember, but he had to get away. Naboo was the closest, decent, place to go, so he put in the credits and headed off. Truth of the matter was he sort of regretted it. The Empire’s presence was big here. When his eyes did shoot over his shoulder, and caught those glimpses, he saw the insignias and suits. They were everything, and maybe that was why he felt watched. Either way, there was nothing he could do about it now. At least a day or so needed to pass before he went space bound again. Who he was running from wasn’t going to be giving him a hug when he finally found him, so there was no rush in going anywhere.

The next stop was the Parnelli Museum of Arts.

I'nu
    The art work littered the wall.

He smiled. Finally, his eyes weren't over his shoulder, just in front of him like they were suppose to be. I'nu gazed at the abstractions, extractions, collages, and etceteras. All the beauty carved, bottled, painted, and formed in ways he so happily had imagined. See, I'nu was an artist. That was his craft. He was not a salesman, spacer, pilot, or anything he offical did. All of it was a side job, a side hustle, hoping to one day amass the amounts needed to do what he loved.

This splash of paint, touch of Felucian flower, and absurdly ripped canvas paper was his passion.

Art was a world in itself. Sometimes it was physical, other times emotional. Either way, it was a place he could express and be truly himself. Or at least he could try to be himself. The philosophy behind it all was mind-boggling, but he had a boggling mind. I'nu rarely let his mind rest. It was alway in motion, always going. I'nu used that mind of his mostly for wit, charm, and all sorts of other attractive things. He was very aware of himself.

He was also very aware of others.

No one else was around. Art Musuems weren't exactly the most exciting places to visit. Mostly unimaginative tourist, silly locals and artist themselves found themselves in such large rooms with cold floors and weird works on the wall. All the focus was made to be on the art, not the people. Nobody would be found here looking to be social, at least not normally.

The weirdest part of it all, though, was that I'nu wasn't normal. Truly it wasn't the fact that he was a mixed mess of species, races, or his cultural background that made him odd. No, instead, it was that mind. Everytime his thought bubble floated over his head it was built in layers. On one layer, as he stared at one of the "unidentified' paintings of Padme, he imagined beauty. Then, on another layer, he drew a contradiction of ugliness. I'nu analyzed with many eyes, but deep under it all was nostalgia. Behind the scenes of his glazed, mustard dippped eyes worked his fond (and not so fond) memories.

Right there, deep in the back of his mind, beyond the invisible thought bubble, came the special effect. The world became a blur, a fuzz, until it phased out and all was as it was. The green of Padme's portrait was re-used, borrowed, and painted to the canvas of dark space. The old queen's silk gown was stripped of it's white, and taken to add more color to this darkness of outerspace by sprinkling it with distant stars.

Then, the stars became meaningless, because there was all green. This green was used for a world. And a very mysterious world at that. A world that I'nu did not cherish, know, or care too much for in retrospect, but he had visited. This world was Cularin, and what an experience he had there.

Oh, what an experience...
    ----

One week ago...

TheHolo.Net Poster

Tequila Satan
    Baroness Scorpion #1

DragonCon 09
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Sarah
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nuime Steam ID: Nuime
    It was the little flashy light that woke her up, the one that beeped softly on the console on the bedside table on her side. The one that no one had access to save for her most trusted assistant, who knew better than to use it for anything except something that might have been considered important. One hazel colored eye opened slowly and sincerely wanted to shut again. A small sigh left her as a hand reached out from under soft covers and depressed a small button.

"Yeah, Trina...?"
    "You have a call."

Emelie found herself torn between three things: aggravation, amusement that her assistant sounded almost as half-asleep as she was, and the overwhelming urge to just say "I'll deal with it later" and roll over and somehow work her way into the arms of the one (still hopefully) sleeping beside her. But again, few things seemed to warrant Trina interrupting her and the fact she'd mentioned a call meant it was coming through a particular line she just didn't go about tossing to just anyone.

"Ugh...fine."

Another sigh and she sat up, glanced over at her companion to make sure he hadn't been disturbed and then slipped out from the bed, instantly regretting the decision as she tugged a dark purple silken robe around herself and exited the bedroom. The only good thing seemed to be that her assistant had already sent the signal to the maker of a single-cup of stimcaff that sat upon her desk in the small office (that really was more set up for lounging than working). A hand was run through the candy colored locks before she took hold of the cup and took a sip from it before letting herself drop into the chair.

"Better be good...gorram solider-boy needing me to bail him out of something I swear to god..."

The small grumble was about all she let loose before finally pressing the button to activate the comm. And out of all the people she could call acquaintances, all the individuals she figured she may have had the pleasure to have to drag herself out of bed for...this one...well this was just unexpected. And despite the lingering cobwebs of sleep she actually managed to sit herself up straight and look a bit more presentable.

"Funny, didn't think I'd be hearing from you, to be honest."

I'nu
    The alley's black bent around I'nu. On the street floated lights. They mouthed at him, but didn't bite. Only sound made him known. The wheeze of the wind, the stench of the alley, and he was invisible. Lost in the terror, deep in the sunset's shade, I'nu hid. No thought was allowed, only haste. Each pulse was debunk with fear, thrown into chaos. If a man was close they'd hear his heart punch at his chest. Punch, jab, hook, uppercut banged at his ribcage while he tried to restrain himself against the wall. Pressed against the slime, his accent almost went blank with fear when he finally let his voice be known.

"HELP!!"

He screamed, but not loud. No eyes shot his way. The streets weren't barren, though, either. Only a blink before I'nu was flushed into the crowds, jumbling to a bleek future. Bounty Hunters were on his tail, and his eyes were useless. Even as he looked, searched, scoured the scene, he felt the presence but saw no one. Any trained hunter would go undetected, so his hazels were meaningless.

I'nu was in a bind. He needed help. He needed Emelie.

"I'm on d'run, I needya. I needya!"

I'nu looked over again. Nothing was there. Nothing had been there. All that was there was sweat, him, and the com link. Locked in the alley's shadows, against the wall, in the funk, he waited.

TheHolo.Net Poster

Tequila Satan
    Baroness Scorpion #1

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Sarah
    Gamer IDs

"Wait wait, details kid, details..."

The stimcaff hadn't worked its magic quite yet and that overall fog of sleep was muddling up her thoughts as Emelie's mind struggled to kick into overdrive. It wasn't that the mixed up mutt was a close acquaintance, or even someone she'd considered a 'valued employee' but he'd gotten under her skin and caused a general agreement somewhere in her head that couldn't help but want to generally make herself more agreeable to the idea of well...helping. Funny how that worked. Though to be honest when she'd given the boy the comm line she never really pictured herself hearing from him, and not in this sort of situation.

"Deep breath, deary...then get with the whys and hows and probably more importantly from whos."

His practically panicked state wasn't generating a whole lot of good feeling towards the call already and a few keystrokes brought up just where the boy was calling from but Cularin in itself didn't answer any immediate questions.

I'nu
    The fingers wrapped over like paper to muffin; tight. A sweetness ran down his face, and the cold air kissed it; sweat. The lights licked at him in this moment. He was a feast, smelling of fear. The words on his stuttering voice were plates beating together. It was not sure fact if they were plates of a planet, or a meal, but they did clank and click under that hard accent of his.

I'nu was scared, for once in his life.

"S-s-some o' bounty hunta'...Frack! I'm 'n an alley, damn, baby - I aint got no time fo' dis 'ere talk'n. Jus' help me...i aint done nuthin bad, dey jus' got me 'nna bind -- aiite! So c'monnn..."

TheHolo.Net Poster

Tequila Satan
    Baroness Scorpion #1

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Sarah
    Gamer IDs

Bounty hunter. It was really the only bit she needed. Not one she wanted to hear by any means, especially when part of her subconscious was gently nudging her to go back to bed and forget about this boy. Good thing for I'nu she never listened to that meaner streak.

The situation was unfolding before her rather quickly in all its lacking detail (which was a bit of an annoyance) but another few keystrokes on the console built into her desk brought up a tad bit more information. Her system was having a hell of a time getting a lock on the boy's exact location which probably was a good thing, meant that whatever hunter was tracking him wouldn't be able to just use the signal to pinpoint him either. Though she was certainly thankful she could at least narrow it down to Mikish. Not the worst city he could have been trapped in, but it narrowed down her ability to help out too. If he'd been in Lissken she could have probably directed him to an actual safe house she knew of. One of those places where a simple word would get you a room and some food with no questions asked. But since that wasn't an option...

"Listen, I know you're in a bad place right now but I need you to take a few deep breaths or else you're going to end up freezing up here and at that point you might as well attach a big blinky sign to your back."

Another sip of the stimcaff was taken to stop herself from beginning to bite the inside of her cheek in her typical thoughtful nervous fashion. She hated being forced to give up secrets to people she only considered casual acquaintances, especially secrets that even the man sleeping back in the bed she shared wasn't aware of. The thought of letting the hunters get their hands on someone who was asking for help though was an even less enjoyable thought.

"Okay..." The resignation in her voice almost caught her off guard. It didn't sound like her.

"You're going to have to move quick but steady. You make a run for it and they'll notice you right quick."

Next bit was risky but had to be done.

"I'm sending you some coordinates and a code right now, they'll lead you to a warehouse. Once there just hole up for a bit...give the code to the staff there and they'll take care of you."

Another deep sigh. It wouldn't be fair to just ditch him there. Who knew if her staff wasn't actually on someone else's payroll and might sell the boy out. Want something done right...

"...I'll be there in a day."

I'nu
    The air was sweet as she spoke. I'nu knew she wasn't single, but he started to daydream. Amid the fear, fright, and strain, she sustain. She was a beacon. She was why he called. I'nu hated asking for help (sometimes) but it was cool to depend on her. A nervous grin swept over his face, making his cheeks a hump for the sweat to sled across. The drip found a puddle by him and echoed.

Her voice fizzed back in.

I'nu grin subsided, but he held a weighty, apprehensive chuckle. With a nod, he let her lead him, sliding in a "yes" after she spoke. She was coming to save him. The very chance was laughable. Somehow he had gotten himself into a bind, and though it was mostly on his own push, it was disturbingly humorous.

He didn't get it.

Two blinks, shake of the head, and he forgot it. All that was left was the task at hand. He had to get away. One hand digging in his pockets, he waited for the codes to be sent and slipped to the end of the alley. The darkness tried desperately to restrain his efforts, but he only allowed it to tug at the side of him as the streets light claimed the rest. His eyes were shown to the world, peeping out into the stuffed walkway.

People were in a rush still. It was perfect tempo to just slide in and follow with. He'd disappear in the flock. Then, reappar at his stop, wherever that was.

TheHolo.Net Poster

Tequila Satan
    Baroness Scorpion #1

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Sarah
    Gamer IDs

As the comm link was closed she took the moment to pause, collect thoughts, and finish the contents of the cup in her hand. That odd pit in the bottom of her stomach was beginning to form as she realized for the next few hours the boy was on his own and there wasn't a gorram thing she could do about it. She'd helped as much as she could for now and in the end that's what counted, right? Emelie wasn't quite sure what good she would do in person aside from making sure her place was actually safe. It all would have to come down on just why the kid was being trailed.

But first thing was first and that was getting herself off the small space station she'd been calling home lately and more importantly: making sure it didn't look like she was just running off on a whim (even if it really in all technicalities did come down to that).

The call was made to her assistant to start prepping her ship and personal items that she'd need before she left the small office and returned to the bedroom. Another sigh left her as she entered it, instantly finding herself once more wishing she could just return to where was probably a more proper place for her to be. She'd get close though, sitting on the edge of the bed next to her companion and gently ran her fingertips across his forehead before placing a gentle kiss there, her usual manner of waking him up if she knew the reasons wouldn't go over so well.

"...I'll explain more later...but I gotta bail for a few days..." She let it linger in the air for a bit, "One of my boys is in trouble. No, it isn't D. New guy...seems to have gotten himself in a real mess. So I'm taking SPOT to Cularin for a day or two tops..."

It wasn't quite the truth, I'nu didn't work for her and she really didn't have plans on adding him to the little group of no-gooders that she had scattered about unless he showed an interest first...but it really wasn't worth pushing the issue and getting into specific.

"...I'll be careful..."

"I know you will... But I want you to take Matsu and L'urn from security with you."

She smirked slightly and gently shook her head. "You worry too much, Xi."

"Who said I wasn't sending them to protect people from you?" Xavier smirked wearily, "Take them... And be glad I'm not asking you to take entire detail."

"Uh huh..." Another small shake of her head was given before she softly pressed her lips to his for an instant. "I'll be back as soon as possible...promise."

Whatever response, if any he'd given any was lost to her as she got up and quickly exchanged the robe for more appropriate travel attire. Already her mind was a whirlwind, making the rest of the preparations a bit of a blur, filled with details that were remembered as she went along and quickly forgotten. Naturally that call to security was never really made and Emelie shrugged off the very notion of needing babysitters. But before she knew it, she was sitting in the cockpit of her highly modified A-Wing, inputting the coordinates and already starting to run over any possible scenarios as to how this all would go down.

I'nu
    The crowds were big, and I'nu was small.

He had a petite frame, thanks to his mom. She was a unique woman. A type of woman different, and elegant, and enough to pull his father's interest. I'nu never heard the story. It would be strange to know, but he understood their bond. Puberty hadn't made it any clearer, it was just obvious. They were an unusual match, and he was the sum. For him, at least, it added up.

Even amidst the crowd, he stuck out a bit. The black and white top was enough for anyone to take a gander. Surprisingly, that was all they did - gander. No long stares, or endless gawks, just simple glances here and there. Nobody was that interested in the weird kid from off-world with the accent. Cularin had their bunch of weirdos, and he was just another in the pile.

That ended up being a plus on this trek.

Somehow, and someway, he found himself at the destination. He was about a mile away, hands in pocket, darkness on his back, and eyes to the future. Hopefully what he'd see there would be safe...like it was suppose to be. There was no certainty that he hadn't been found, either, so there was much else on his mind beside the matters at hand.

He just had to get there, and in one piece.

Aree Ankarta
    Bender's End was an odd name for a bar. She couldn't get any meaning from it. Niruma's End - the name of the asteroid she was currently sitting on - was a different case; a quick database search had shown that Niruma had been a local crime boss who had died some 30 years in the past, before Riboga the Hutt had seized control of Cularin's underworld. Or rather: before Riboga had reseized it, since it had been his to begin with before he lost it in a bet to Niruma who had been some underling of his. The asteroid had been part of the deal, and it was supposed Niruma had found death on it somewhere, even if the details were a little hazy on that.

Her holonet search didn't find any matches for Bender, however. Maybe he had been some unfortunate underling of Niruma.

"Whatcha drinkin?" the grimy-looking humanoid barman interrupted her reverie with a grunting voice, leaning close enough forwards for her to see the ugly purple, pulsating boil on his forehead. If she'd felt hungry before this, she wasn't anymore now.

She would have waved him off, but on second thought realised that to do so was not a clever move; she was here for information, and to do so she'd need to blend in. "A Green Moon," she said after a moment's thought, ordering a beverage that wasn't very strong but had a pleasant minty flavor.

The barkeep shuffled off, nodding and grunting, and Nya settled into her chair. Her helmet, which she'd been holding under her arm, she put on her knees with its opening up towards her so that she could still see the display. The HUD was recording every sound it could pick up.

A moment later the barkeep returned with the same shuffling noise, grunting and smacking his lips as he set the green-coloured drink in front of her onto the bar.

"Fifteen," he said, eyeing her calculatingly.

She wasn't in the mood for arguing over a drink. The chip she threw on the counter next to the glass was worth 100 creds. "Ten for the drink. The other 90 for a message you're to deliver to your boss."

He stared at her, his expression changing from annoyed to a cheeky grin. She knew what he was going to say next. "It's gonna cost ya a bit more than that, gir--"

The next moment he found it wasn't so easy to go on speaking when ones' face was full of glass splinters and blood, from hitting the counter too fast. Nevermind the shootin' pain in his forehead and the burning from having chunks of hair ripped out. The boil on his forehead had burst and was oozing blood and yellowish pus.

"What was it you were saying?" she asked, cooly, and opened her hands to let the bushels of coarse black hair fall to the floor. The disgust didn't show on her face, but she couldn't bear looking at him - the sight of the thing on his forehead was something she didn't have the stomach for. So she busied herself looking at the hair on the floor instead.

"Uhhh... I'll.... I'll geg 'im. Wha' mess'sh?" Out of the corner of her eye she saw him grabbing a dishcloth and first wiping his face with it, then holding it to his forehead. Helpful. She looked up again.

"Tell him Yurga sends his regards. I need info on someone who's come through here or through the planet proper recently, and Yurga said your boss owes him one. I'm here to claim it."

The barkeep's eyes went wide. "Yesh, yesh..." he mumbled, his lip now swelling up fast from a nasty cut in it, and hurried off into a back room.

Nya leant forward and grabbed another cloth from behind the counter; with it, she swiped the glass and liquid from what had once been her drink off the counter. Then she assumed the same stance as she'd taken up before, and waited.

Last edited by Aree Ankarta; May 25th, 2009 at 04:48:40 AM.

TheHolo.Net Poster

Tequila Satan
    Baroness Scorpion #1

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Sarah
    Gamer IDs

Space travel was boring. Or at least, it was as far as Emelie was concerned. Fast, but not nearly fast enough in most cases. It was times like this that she often found herself cursing the fact she hadn't installed a faster drive in the silly thing. Sadly that was going to have to be something to worry about later. So instead she was left with down-time and little space to really handle it in. Strangely enough, the semi cramped space didn't quite bother her though. Sure a larger, faster ship could have been used...but there was something about the little A-Wing that she just found...homey. Maybe it was that whole 'taken from junk heap to...flying junk heap' that did it. Either way...

Her eyes opened slowly, pulling from the random thoughts and half doze she'd let herself slip into. The ontechii music that had been filling the cockpit was turned down a notch before a deep breath was taken. All the rushing about had caught up with her and reason, rather than impulse, was starting to rear its ugly head forcing the out loud musing of...

"The frell am I getting myself in to?"

It was that phrase that seemed to come up all too often, but overly fitting for the moment. And sadly there was only really one last little bit that could be taken care of before she got there. Fingertips glided quickly over a series of keys and a small yellow light lit up as the link was established.

"Boss lady, didn't expect to hear from you for quite some time."
    "Surprise inspection, Donos."
    "That what you're calling it?"

Her eyes rolled before she could stop herself.

"I was nice enough to give you a warning I'm on my way. Don't push it."
    "Suppose you're right, ma'am."

Emelie tried her best not to make a face. Ma'am..ugh. Donos...she didn't really know a whole lot about the guy and the truth could be said about him with her, most likely. Otherwise he probably wouldn't have gone there. Either way, he was the one she'd left her warehouse in the hands of. It was marginally bothersome to have people on her payroll she didn't quite know but there nearly wasn't enough time to sit and have a few drinks with all of them. A certain amount of professional trust had to be given here and there..all hopes were on the fact he was still in her pocket now and not someone else's. So far it seemed shiny.

"Look, I got a rep coming by before I get there. Might come off as kinda nervous. He'll have the codes though. Just get him settled and such until I get there."
    "Suppose you'll want me to clean the joint up too?"
    "Wouldn't hurt."

There was a mutual smirk of amusement that formed on both of them. One of those understandings that seemed to pass be and take place of any jokes of recommendations of getting blood stains out of things or placing out the good furniture.

"I'll make sure things are in order."

A nod of her head was all that was given in terms of whatever agreement or thanks could be given before the commlink was silenced once more. A quick look at the chrono revealed the trip still had another few good hours to it. Nothing to do now but let the ship do its thing and go back to idle thoughts.

I'nu
    All his hasty thoughts were getting to him. I'nu didn't care for pace anymore. The swagger he had in his steps, and the cool he reclaimed, was holding on a thread. His nerves shook and rattled like a good shot to a ship's hull. For some reason, this darkness, this solitude was getting to him. There was just too much space for something to happen.

The road was veering, and he followed. His eys shot in every direction. Cularin wasn't lush. Cularin wasn't dry, either. Off far, in the distance, outlined the city. Yet here, there was a quietness. Not even a ruffle could be heard, and it made him tense. Home was Corulag, and it was not a Coruscant or Anaxes, but it was big. People moved around, and even the homely places had sounds.

This place didn't.

Maybe it was for the better. The point was escape, so it was well fitting. Reassurance was all he was reaching for, and it wouldn't come. Not until his hand went out for the door and the code was given. Not until he was inside. Good thing he was almost there, too. Two steps away, his head bent. A slight pivot, fast look over, and he trotted. Not a word came out, just a knock, and code entry.

He did like she said. Now, he waited. For what, he wasn't sure? All he knew was that inside there was a sound. Someone was there, and safey was possibly near. A sigh was coming up in his chest, and his hands eased in his pockets.

They weren't fist anymore. He didn't have to fight anymore. This little warrior could rest a while. Or so it seemed.

TheHolo.Net Poster

Tequila Satan
    Baroness Scorpion #1

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Sarah
    Gamer IDs

Chalbran Donos, a man that was aged enough to not be considered a "young pup" by anyone's definition, but also just old enough that he'd just started getting a few stray gray hairs through his dark brown mop...on his head at least. The slightly scraggly goatee he possessed was still the same color it had always been since it had started growing in. He wasn't dressed fine by any standards either, but a jacket that had a few holes in it wasn't really doing him any harm. And it was this man that "greeted" I'nu when the door slid open with a metallic scrape that could set some people's teeth on edge. A look up and down and a grunt of acknowledgment were given before the man stepped back enough to grand the kid entry.

"Boss lady said you were coming...room's been set up in the back. Guess you're supposed to go and make yourself cozy like until she gets here. Listen, it's a straight shot back down the second aisle. Don't go wandering or I'll get one of the others to escort you back there and make sure you stay put, got it?"

There wasn't any semblance of kindness in the words, not even a smile was cracked. Seemed the kid's appearance was nothing more than a great means of interruption to Donos and not much else.

"Shadowstar should be here in a few hours, so you'll have to sit tight..." He paused in his little spiel just enough to add in an over reluctant tone. "You need something...holler though. Someone will get to you."

Aree Ankarta
    Within minutes Boil-face was back, having cleaned up his bruised face and conferred with his boss; now he scowled at her and brought an unmistakable stench of Hutt along. "Go ing, boch wangtch to chee you," he grumbled, staring at her hatefully. Then he brought up his hand and gingerly touched his forehead with it, grimacing in pain at every touch.

Apparently she'd done a good job.

She lifted an eyebrow and pointedly looked into the direction from whence he'd returned.

He got the hint alright, stopped checking his face for sore spots for a moment, and mumbled "corridor, chird door ong lef'g," without looking at her directly.

Yeah right. Wherever Riboga was hiding, she'd be sure to not to find him behind the third door on the left. Probably a couple of enforcers packing more blasterfire than braincells. Good thing she didn't intend to go there.

With a sigh of regret, she got up slowly from her seat, and slapped the helmet back down over her head. At once the HUD flooded her senses, but she was well used to it and adjusted within seconds. She'd hoped this would be the easier part.

It was a good thing she was the only customer of Bender's End this afternoon. There was no one else who'd care about not getting any service, which was a given by the time she entered the corridor, leaving the utreekov of a barkeep in a twitching heap of arms and legs in the small space behind the bar. Some people didn't react well to stun bolts.

It was a shame no one seemed interested in straight honest talk anymore, these days. At least she could say she'd tried to stay peaceful.

Thanks to a small bit of tinkering with her HUD, and a generous appliance of credits to the pockets of a techie back on ImpCenter, her helmet now came with full radar system, and she'd been itching to try it out on something. It was giving her a nice view of bloated heat-source 70 meters down the corridor, on the right side - the opposite side and 40 meters down from where the Hutt had his men standing in wait. That room showed four distinctive heat sources, too big to be human. For a moment she wondered if she should simply throw in a thermal detonator in passing, but there was always the risk of bringing down the roof on top of herself, and that wasn't worth the trouble. No - there were better ways around those four.

Whatever they were - chances were they had as little brain as their barkeep comrade; the radar showed them moving inwards, towards each other instead of focusing outward, towards the door. So, with a grin, she pulled a G-20 from her belt, and, once outside the door, counted backwards from 10.

At five the four shapes were still in the same position. She took off the pin.

At three she slapped the door control, pressing up close to the door frame outside.

At two the door started sliding sideways, opening up. Her arm shot out and threw in the grenade.

At one, she heard it bounce off something. She hit the door control again. One shape jerked.

WHAM!!!

The door slammed shut the same moment the glop grenade went off. The radar went blank for a moment, then returned showing a massive heat source, out of which slowly four bright spots crystalized while the rest dimmed. The shapes didn't move at all, and if the G-20's adhesive foam fhad done its job well, they wouldn't be able to move for the next ten minutes.

The shut door had kept most of the sound of the explosion contained - she'd stood right outside and it'd been no louder than maybe the sound a chair hitting a wall might make. Forty meters down the corridor no one seemed to have noticed the sound at all.

With a wicked grin, she advanced towards the room with the lone Hutt shape, not bothering to knock before entering.

Riboga just stared, his stubbly hand paused in mid-air, holding a live and wiggling gorg by one of its legs. The Hutt looked at her drawn blaster with an incredulous stare, his large mouth still open.

"You mind putting that thing down so we can talk? Not sure Yurga's going to appreciate your way of greeting one of his associates."

She pointed at the gorg. Riboga, reminded of it, let go but it dropped into his still opened mouth instead of onto the floor, and his great jaws automatically began chewing on it. The Hutt kept his cold eyes on her, but she saw fear written in them quite clearly.

She shrugged. Too bad for the gorg.

The Hutt went on masticating noisily, hurriedly - finally made a loud gulping sound, then at last spoke to her: "Hi chuba da naga?"

"I already told that utreekov out there: Yurga is looking for someone, and I'm here to get him. He thinks you can help me find the guy. Since you seem to be the one running the place."

Riboga picked up on the veiled threat in her words right well. It seemed Yurga knew his family members well enough - and they him.

"Ah'chu apenkee bosco?"

"Name's I'nu - a thin, nervous young male. His best feature is being an unusual mongrel who's half Zeltron, half Cathar. You don't see them running around much. Heard of him?"

By the time Riboga's Gamorrean bodyguards - freed of the rapidly dissolving foam - rejoined him, the Hutt had agreed to help her, and made some calls to some other underling who had promised to have some results soon. Yurga's name and patronship in this case went a long way; as well it should, if he wanted this piece of merchandise.
    Last edited by Aree Ankarta; Mar 31st, 2009 at 06:35:24 PM.

I'nu
    The door was open, but I'nu wasn't all that happy with the results. The mix-breed was a bit disturbed, actually. All that seriousness, the kid didn't need it. He already had his life going haywire, now this burly fellow wanted to give him a hard time. Impulse said to tell him how he felt. I'nu was nervous, but not that nervous. It was well known fact of how silly he could be, but also a bit critical. Insulting someone to their face was well up his alley. Although not as confrontational as his father's side of the family, he was not scared to fight.

Well, at least a fair fight.

Hands diving into his pockets, he trickled pass. For the most part, he ignored the atmosphere. The door-man had made it tense. There were bodyguards litter throughout. All in waiting, but also busy. Food was in their hands, and they were chomping away. A few had drinks, and the cups were all up. Despite the leisure, they weren't fond of him. No one gave him a generous smile. No one even looked in his direction without those terrible eyes. Those type of eyes and stares that go through a person.

Hurt more than blaster bolts.

I'nu's face scrunched up. A half-smile was there, but it was forced. That was an unusual act of his. He rarely forced smiles. It was hard not to, seeing the ridiciliousness in their manners. Emelie would get a talk for this.

"Jus' da back room?" I'nu didn't turn around. He didn't need to. The doorman could tell he was talking to him. "I can't eat no food o' nothin?"

TheHolo.Net Poster

Tequila Satan
    Baroness Scorpion #1

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Sarah
    Gamer IDs

Donos hadn't expected questions. He didn't really want to even talk to the odd looking kid that showed up in the first place and now he was going to answer questions? Bah. If the boss lady hadn't mentioned he was a client Donos probably would have just given the kid a glare in response. Instead he gritted his teeth for a moment before letting out a deep breath of air, taking a sharp intake to replace it and then spoke again in the same forced polite tone.

"Yeah just the back room. Wasn't told to show off any of the goods to you so you don't get to wander none."

Another one of those painful pauses was taken before he turned to catch a look of the kid again.

"I'll see if I can't get one of the others to russle you up something to eat..."

The door was locked and Donos finally turned away from it all, grumbling as he went down the hall, leaving the the mutt to his own.

-----

Emelie meanwhile was...well....

"What the frak do you mean he's in a meeting?! I didn't no about no meeting!"
    "I...I don't know. He's meeting with a..."

There was a pause as the woman on the link looked through what data she had in front of her.

"...a Mister Corrigan. Darren Corrigan, at that. Friend of yours, Em?"
    "Nope."

A hand was raised and tapped against her lips for a moment before she stopped and simply let it rest for a breath or two. She could feel herself beginning to nip at the inside of her cheek and sighed heavily.

"Just keep tabs on him for me...okay, Trina? I guess when he gets outta there let him know what's up with where I am. Rather have told him myself but I think this is just about the only time I'll have...just following the trade spine now, should be over in the Cularin system in the next few and dren knows what the hell it is that I'm actually walking in to. Something about this all seems like I should have just stayed in bed."
    "Probably. Know I would have."

A bit of a moderately amused smirk began to form on her lips as Emelie attempted to pull together some sort of smartass comment to toss back at her assistant when the other woman piped up again.

"Think Xi's got people tailing you, Em."
    "Not surprising."
    "I think it's...kinda sweet of him."
    "You would. Swear the both of you take the fun out of life some days."

A few more odd almost sisterly exchanges took place between the two before both said their "see you in a few days, then." and the call was ended. And despite the rather lighthearted conversation she'd had with her assistant Emelie couldn't seem to shake off that overall feeling of dread that only seemed to get a bit worse as the sensors finally told her she was at least in the system she needed to be in. Now to just bip on over to the planet of the same name and get this whole thing done and over with...whatever that would entail.
    Last edited by Emelie Shadowstar; Apr 15th, 2009 at 03:54:53 PM.

Aree Ankarta
    Being a mongrel Zeltron with black and white hair couldn't be a healthy thing, not even in a place like Cularin where no one seemed to care a tiff about newcomers. The bountyhunter, therefore, was beginning to get a bit worried when, three hours after Riboga had set his men to the task, there were still no results in. Either Riboga's underlings were particularly sloppy, or this guy was seriously good at hiding.

When she went to pay the Hutt's main lair another visit, there was a length of durasteel chain slung around her midriff, its ends held in place by magnets. Other than that and the blaster she had holstered at her side, she went in unarmed.

Surprises were what kept a Hutt on its tail.

"No kavaa je ulwani koose je spastika du freeta joppay me coe blastohs. Yanee da poo noo," she overheard Riboga scream, as she slipped into the room. The great slimy worm was having a conversation with someone she'd not seen before: a short, thin human male with a head of brown curls, his face sporting a beard and a set of some of the bluest eyes she'd ever seen. He was about her age, maybe older. He also appeared to be in some kind of trouble about a shipment of weapons he'd not brought - something about fruit? - and was slowly backing away from the Hutt as Riboga was belching forth in fury. "M-m-ma lor-lorda," he was stuttering, and a foot away from bumping in her now.

The Hutt had seen her now. His massive eyes stared, the reptile slits of his pupils widening for a moment, then retracting again as he shifted his focus completely onto her. The human man in front of her realised this, and gave a nervous look over his shoulder - then gave a violent twitch, and froze completely, his eyes locked in horror on a spot in mid-distance between herself and the Hutt.

Interesting.

"Kee chai chai cun kuta?" Riboga growled, but there was now a cautionary tone in his voice. That told her something.

"I'd think that'd be obvious, Riboga - I thought I'd come and have another chat about the bounty I'm looking for; and impress on you just how urgent Yurga wants this one carried out." She grinned at the faint twitch of one of the corners of his large mouth, which rose slightly and betrayed his worry.

Let no one say Hutts don't have any facial expression - I think I just found one...

"So?" she asked, and looked back at him, putting some more impatience into her voice.

"Dobrah nota ree napa cheen, murishani," the Hutt rumbled, trying to buy himself time. But she didn't care what he thought he was or wasn't involved in usually - all that mattered was getting him to cooperate.

The Mandalorian never for a moment believed her merchandise was good enough to hide so well. Which meant someone was lying, and it was either Riboga's men or Riboga himself. But if the scared-out-of-his-wits guy behind her was anything to go by, Riboga's men wouldn't dare keep their master in the dark, so that left only the Hutt. And she didn't have to think long of reasons why Riboga would try to keep her in the dark: likely he'd be trying to catch the little thief and turn him over to Yurga himself, hoping to curry favor with his uncle.

So she turned around, and pushed the man out of her way: pushed him until he was past the exit door which she'd obligingly opened for him, and then slammed the door shut behind him. Only then did she reply to the Hutt, as she rapidly closed the distance between them. "Be careful, Riboga - it wouldn't be wise to keep playing games with me. I don't care what kind of stinking osik is going on between you and Yurga, I'm only here to do my job, and I don't like it if some overgrown worm thinks he can use this as a chance to get himself on his uncle's good side again."

At that, the Hutt rumbled again, his eyes even larger than before. Obviously, she wasn't being direct enough yet.

So with a flick of her wrist, and a twist and another, and a couple of quick steps onto his other side, she'd undone the durasteel chain from around her hips, and thrown it around Riboga's head, estimating that the Hutt equivalent of a neck was somewhere about a foot below their mouth. The Hutt didn't have a chance against her: now that no one was around, and Riboga himself probably wouldn't know the difference, she put all the strength of her trained body into the choke-hold she was having on him - as well as tapping into the Force for an additional boost.

The great worm gasped and shuddered before her, his head pulled violently backwards. Nya was fairly sure Hutts had to breath like humans, too, and couldn't do long without air. "Chess ko, shag, if you don't tell me what you know this very moment, I'll see to it personally that you spend the rest of your miserable life strapped with this chain to a wall in Yurga's throne room."

It wasn't the greatest of threats, as these things came, but it was sufficient: The Hutt thrashed his slimy tail onto the floor, his useless stubby hands flailing in the air as he was desperately trying to get a word out past the constriction of his throat, and finally indicated with his fingers that he was agreeing, and going to give up the info.

Satisfied, the bountyhunter released the chain, and dropped it to the ground behind her - no way she was going to put the slimy thing back on now. Staying behind the Hutt, she commanded, "Then speak!"

When he did so, after a long relieved intake of breath, he actually spoke basic. "He's in Mikish... " - he gargled loudly, then made am utterly repulsive sound that made her insides squirm, and continued - "... no more, my informant wanted to send me the coordinates but he's not reported in since. I was waiting.... trying to wait for the juicy bits before bringing you the good news," he lamely added.

That at least narrowed it down somewhat. She'd go out there and look for the bounty herself, in case this informant wasn't going to contact the Hutt anymore.

"I'll go down there myself then. Make sure to let me know if your informant feels cooperative again."

And then, with another warning look at the Hutt, she walked off, passing the astonished underling on her way out; he'd probably peeked in to see what was happening, and witnessed his master's change of attitude.

She flashed him a grin that he did not entirely respond.
    Last edited by Aree Ankarta; Apr 16th, 2009 at 05:57:45 PM.

I'nu
    The mutt watched as the gruff man left him with food on his mind, and two feet to trail off with. A sigh slipped out. He wasn't satisfied. I'nu rarely was. Despite his rough, but charming looks, he had been a spoiled boy. Things were never good enough. Also, he had become a complacent soul. Things didn't compel a rise out of him, like they deserved to. Instead, he just kept his distaste to himself.

Matter fact, he swallowed down. Keeping his words at bay, while his feet made him drift away. Each step was in succession, bringing him down the hall. Faces litter the pathway, looking at him with suspcious eyes. No one was all that comfortable with his entrance. Even still, he proceeded. No halt was in his steps, he walked with a confidence.

Soon the door room was open, and he was on the bed. The place wasn't amazing. It didn't have to be. All it needed to be, it was. Simply a room. The walls were plain, the bed even more bland, and floors clean. Beside the bed there was no other furniture. Nothing to idle gaze at, or fiddle with, other than the light.

And of course, that wasn't enough.

So, he sat there, motionless, quiet, waiting for the food that might come.

"Frell...what did I get m'self inta..."

TheHolo.Net Poster

Tequila Satan
    Baroness Scorpion #1

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Sarah
    Gamer IDs

Flight time had been overestimated and as the A-Wing touched down in port Emelie found herself patting the console of the craft in some strange almost tender fashion. People from time to time in the business would ask why it was she had never upgraded to a larger craft, something with more room ...she only ever laughed in response. Though, it did sometimes amaze her what the silly thing was capable of when pushed hard enough, trick was to keep from pushing too hard and making the ship end up being a coffin instead. That grim thought was pushed from her pretty little head as fast as could be managed as she gathered whatever she thought was necessary and took a good stretch once feet touched solid ground.

"Lady Isley?"

The sudden unexpected use of one of her aliases that came from behind as her arms were being held aloft while trying to work that cramped up feeling out of her back was...annoying to say the least. Hands were lowered slowly and hovered just above the blasters holstered tat the loose fitting belt at her hips. A slight twist at the waist was enough to let her look over her shoulder at the woman standing there who had addressed her. The nervous fidgeting Emelie saw there wasn't helping ease her mind any but the look was enough to give the woman some sort of confirmation on identity, enough that she continued anyway.

"Mister Donos asked that I meet you here...he has arranged transport for you..."

Emelie wasn't sure what sort of odd story Donos had come up with to make this woman seemingly so worried about her but at least he'd had the decency to avoid giving out real names. Of course that did bring up the question of what other kinds of rumors Donos had gone and spread about her on this rock since she'd been there last. That could be...problematic.

"...it...is should only be about a half hour ride to the-"
    "That'll be fine. Let's go."

Normally not one to be so blatantly rude, Emelie was getting the distinct impression she was supposed to be someone to be feared, so interruptions and no nonsense were going to be the order of the moment. Some part of her almost found amusement in it...the rest was busy formulating whatever verbal trashing she was going to give the man who had been running her warehouse once she got there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast