Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112

Thread: Fallout New Vegas nerd dumpster

Vault 22 is the first time I've actually found myself "scared" by a computer game. Don't get me wrong - it's not like I was terrified and went crying to my mother... but between the dark atmosphere, the odd noises, and those green critters that are suddenly RIGHT THERE when you turn around had me properly on edge the whole time I was there.

Some of the world building in this game is phenomenal. I never realised it was possible for a game to take "some tunnels underground" and make them feel so insanely different from one another. I love that the above ground is often so similar by comparison too: it makes the Mojave seem more barren somehow.

Charley - I owe you boozahol for getting me hooked on this thing.
    It's like that, and that's the way it is.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I... am... CHRISTMAS!
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Untouchable View Post
    Vault 22 is the first time I've actually found myself "scared" by a computer game.
    Play System Shock 2 next.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    L-l-l-look at you, hacker...

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I... am... CHRISTMAS!

As great as some games are today, my current fave being Skyrim followed by Fallout 3, System Shock 2 is - despite its aged looks - one of the greatest games I've ever had the pleasure of playing a bilion times. The enemies are creepy as fuck, the level design is great, the story as well as its method of delivery are superb. You basically learn whats happened by finding audio logs - Bioshock did the same thing more recently. And the music, while brilliant, can detract from the ambience and spookiness of the environment so I usually have it off. But there's no question that it's a perfect soundtrack for a cyberpunk game.

There are similarities between System Shock 2 and Fallout 3/NV. The RPG element, the looting of corpses, the hacking, But the experiences are very different. While Fallout offers an epic journey across an open landscape of discovery, System Shock 2 is a claustrophobic nightmare in deep space. If you ever played Dead Space and enjoyed Isaac's ordeal/setting, you really should check out System Shock 2.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Vince
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: vinceisgreat
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter McCoy View Post
    System Shock 2 is - despite its aged looks - one of the greatest games I've ever had the pleasure of playing a bilion times.
    System Shock 2 is one of the very very few horror-scary games I like, mostly due to the story's delivery. Bioshock did it well, making some very powerful characters (Andrew Ryan is my friend's libertarian hero, despite the fact he's the game's villain), and coupling it with the mystery aspect of learning everything about what happened and most importantly, getting the hell out of there.

One of the better decisions was leaving the player character mostly undefined (Which Bioshock 2 made the mistake of not doing, though the game was still fairly strong); it allows for the stickman comic vs. art dichotomy: the circle of the stickman's head allows us to make it into a mirror, whereas the more detailed the art, the less of ourselves we see in it. The more detailed the past of a main character, the less emotional connection we have with him/her. It wasn't the dude in the game that was being chased down by mutated people screaming "I'm sorry!", it was the me in the game being scared crapless by the emptiness of the surroundings.

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    Summer Box Office Contest 2008 - Winner!
    Try the root stew, you will. Taste good, it does.
    DragonCon 09

Fallout New Vegas on 75% sale today:
    4,99€ / $4.99

DLC also on 75% sale

http://store.steampowered.com/app/22380/

TheHolo.Net Poster

The Scorpion Prince
    Oil my peanuts, you blood-cursed bastards.
    DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Peter
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CrusaderJ11
    I am still playing Fallout 3 but I have so much fun being back in the wasteland after over a decade.

I now have the level 22 perk that completly refills your Action if you make a kill in VATS. Last night I mowed through a group of 7 super mutant brutes without ever running out of Action.

Vats really makes this game an awesome experience since the normal run and gun mechanics are very clunky and unresponsive... 3rd Person is still pretty much unplayable and this game is laking a good cover system.

It is kind of funny that I waited so long to wear power armor but now I do not use it because my chinese stealth armor makes me look like Grey Fox from Metal Gear Solid.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I... am... CHRISTMAS!

Fallout 3 has a great cover system. Stand behind something solid when you get shot at. Nuff said. I've been ambushed while on 1% health bygroups of half a dozen supermutants with nothing but a pistol and a tree to hide behind and survived.

TheHolo.Net Poster

The Scorpion Prince
    Oil my peanuts, you blood-cursed bastards.
    DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Peter
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CrusaderJ11

Good news guys the last episode of Nuka Break Season 1 is out and season 2 has been already anounced at PAX.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    I've been playing some NEw Vegas again lately, to get myself in the mood for cosplaying Veronica... and consequently ended up watching some of Peter's "Lets Play" again

TheHolo.Net Poster

Sssmoke me a kjipperrr, jI'll be back forrr brrreakfassst!

AKA
    Charley
    I have at last returned to New Vegas

Reloaded a save where apparently I was in a factory surrounded by 4 crazed Mr. Handy's!

Proceed to stun-lock every single one of them with Big Boomer and shred the robots with buckshot

And Stay Back is an awesome perk btw.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Just doing some research on Veronica and holy shit how did I not notice before (Dead Money spoiler) that Christine in Dead Money was the woman she fell in love with/was separated from?!

I am so oblivious sometimes

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112