Thread: Lincoln Bicentennial

Birthday Lincoln Bicentennial

Lincoln was born 200 years ago today. It is interesting watching the celebrations on TV, especially making the comparisons with Obama. There are similar comparisons, both came out of no where, had little experience, came from the same state, and came to the country in dark times. Of course Lincoln is Obama's favorite president.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    For some reason the title of this thread made me think it was going to be about an Abe Lincoln robot.

LOL I forgot about that film and book.

TheHolo.Net Poster

Sometimes I think about having you executed, just to see the expression on your face!

DragonCon 09
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Erin
    Ooooooo, Happy Birthday. Mr. President!

Always been my favorite President. I've read many books on him - and have several more that I own but have yet to read. A really fascinating figure in alot of ways.

Quote Originally Posted by CMJ View Post
    Always been my favorite President. I've read many books on him - and have several more that I own but have yet to read. A really fascinating figure in alot of ways.

Same here, by far my favorite and very complex figure like you point out. You hare about the Spielberg movie that might be out by December?

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Master Carr View Post

Same here, by far my favorite and very complex figure like you point out. You hare about the Spielberg movie that might be out by December?
    Of course. Not sure he should try and rush it though.

TheHolo.Net Poster

No, Mister Belargic. I expect you to... die.

AKA
    Vince
    Within the darkness just beyond the horizon; behind the shroud that blinds your sight
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: vinceisgreat
    Lincoln is by far one of the most well remembered Presidents. Not only Obama, but G. W. Bush has been linked to him as well, and not without reason in my opinion. War-time president, suspended civil liberties, continued a war against at times massive anti-war public opinion.

It was I think Lincoln's assassination which allowed people to look at the good he did; not to say that his being assassinated was a good thing. I personally disliked Bush, and disagreed with the reasons for his policies, but there is a large parallel between he and Lincoln.

Anyway...

Happy Birthday, Abe. You managed, for good or ill, to keep the USA together, and for that you'll never be forgotten.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I know Kung Fu, and orifices

AKA
    Charley
    I have trouble fully embracing Lincoln for a lot of the same reasons I dislike George W Bush. He's nowhere near as bad as the latter, but suspension of habeus corpus, even in the most dire of circumstances, is nearly unforgivable.

Same trouble with Roosevelt and the Japanese internments. Somehow our most beloved presidents have some fairly outright criminal failings.

I'm not disagreeing exactly with either of you. Some of the stuff Lincoln did while in office is questionable. Yet, nearly every President's legacy is marred by head scratchers.

No other president has ever been put through the furnace of leading a nation(and winning) during a Civil War. For that a variety of other reasons, he remains in high esteem by most people.

He's one of the most fascinating figures I've ever read about.

He was very popular in the north and out west during the war. The war was never only unpopular in the union for in 1862. CMJ is right name one president who hasn't had scars. FDR, Japanese; Jefferson and Washington, slavery; and Adams, Alien Sedition acts. All of those are just as bad as suspended the habeus corpus. I still feel Lincoln was a great man and our best president.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Master Carr View Post

Of course. Not sure he should try and rush it though.
    I meant to comment on this, well it was a rumor that I read. I guess if they started filming this month they could get it out by December. Maybe they have been working on preproduction for a while other wise they are better off holding off for next year.

I don't think it's a rumor. He's supposedly going to start filming on it as soon as he finishes shooting Tin Tin - which is his current film.

I don't think it's a rumor. He's supposedly going to start filming on it as soon as he finishes shooting Tin Tin - which is his current film.
    Well its doable. I know the script is done, just need to finish casting. I like the idea of Liam Neeson as Lincoln. He has the stature to play him.