Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NFL pickem Week 9

TheHolo.Net Moderator

Stealing planets with a cunning use of flags!
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer Park Kraken's Avatar
    Well, at least Tampa Bay, Houston, and Pittsburg won their games, but I'm still dissapointed by the Colts losing to New England.

Although I'm going to slug anyone who says that New England had a clean game.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

The [original] Black Sheep of SW-Fans
    Mmm, cheap beer good!
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

Pittsburgh doesn't play til tomorrow. And I don't think the Pats deserved the win, but I'm guessing God is a Pats fan...

It was a hard thought good game.

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    Summer Box Office Contest 2008 - Winner!
    Try the root stew, you will. Taste good, it does.
    DragonCon 09

Quote Originally Posted by Kale View Post
    Came home to learn that Adrian Peterson finished with 296 yards, breaking Jamal Lewis's single-game record of 294! Not bad for a rookie...
    Not only was it a NFL record, but it was against the CHARGERS! I can't get over that. This is the team everyone has trouble running against.

And I don't think the Pats deserved the win, but I'm guessing God is a Pats fan...
    Pretty much. It seems God has been a Pats fan for years. I wish he would stop that!

On a more serious note, I really do think Pats willl remain undefeated this year.

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    Summer Box Office Contest 2008 - Winner!
    Try the root stew, you will. Taste good, it does.
    DragonCon 09

Here is some really good news. The CT scan of Chad Johnson showed nothing bad. He is already on the charter flight back to Cincinnati.

.. also, really enjoying the Eagles / Cowboys game right now.

TheHolo.Net Moderator

Stealing planets with a cunning use of flags!
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer Park Kraken's Avatar
    Week 14, Steelers VS Patriots, is the next opportunity I'm looking for a New England loss.

jjwr
    Pats didn't deserve the win? They outplayed the Colts no question, the only times the Colts scored anything significant was off Pats mistakes or the fluky long run by Addai. Two underthrows by Brady(both were spectactular INTs though) and the 7yd pass that Addai took to the house were pretty much it by the Colts. No question that was a great run by Addai but we all know 19 times out of 20 that goes for 7-10yds at most.

Pats deserved a number of the Penalties they got but there were a LOT of phantom calls there, the first long Pass Interference was questionable and the 2nd was completely completely bogus as Hobbs beat Wayne to the spot and then Wayne tackles Hobbs before he can make a play on the ball. On the Moss PI it was clean as well, Moss does push off but he didn't on that play. All I'm saying is the penalties were a bit ridiculous for a team who is in the top 5 in the league for least amount of penalties and to set a record? At one point it was something like 130yds for the Pats vs 10 for the Colts? In a game this huge to call that many questionable calls one way?

As a whole though the Pats were pretty sloppy, I didn't get a lot of the playcalling. On both of the INTs they were in good position and were bleeding the clock so rather than keep that up they throw questionable passes which ended up hurting them.

A lot of runs against that quick D which they just gobbled up, seems like they completely ignored Welker for most of the game as well, his quick slants and adjustments seemed like they would have worked well against that D.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I might return to RPing if those scrumptious Gue twins would come back. Figrin Sandwich, am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by jjwr View Post

... the first long Pass Interference was questionable and the 2nd was completely completely bogus as Hobbs beat Wayne to the spot and then Wayne tackles Hobbs before he can make a play on the ball.

The first one wasn't questionable at all. Gonzalez was tackled before the ball got there. That will get called every time.

The second one was called because, in the process of getting into position to make a play on the ball, Hobbs undercut Wayne at about the 6-7 yard line and impeded his progress enough to cause him to stumble. It didn't matter that Hobbs was playing the ball at that point... a DB can't impede the progress of a receiver through excessive physical contact before the ball arrives (beyond 5 yards from scrimmage). Realistically, it's probably 50/50 as to whether or not that type of play gets flagged. It's hardly a bogus call though.

Either team deserved to win, they both played well enough in spots to claim that. The Pats can say they were sloppy, but a lot of that was because of Indy's defense. New England made a couple of big plays late and was able to pull it out. There's really not much to it beyond that.

JMK
    If the Colts had their full healthy roster, it might have been a different game. I didn't think either team played particularly well, but the Pats did what they needed to do.

Could someone please tell Evil Hoodie to lighten up? A pack of starving hyenas are friendlier than this guy. Sheesh.

I think the only interference pentality was wrong was the Moss one. He didn't even push off that much, no more than the defender.

jjwr
    The first one on Sammuel was questionable, he had good position and barely touched the outside shoulder of the WR and he goes down? That was a flop that was worthy of the World Cup.

The 2nd one was a joke, Hobbs beat Wayne on the route and was going to beat him to the ball but he was tackled. He did not undercut Wayne, he beat him on the route and had position and then Wayne tackled him and Wayne gets the call? It was a completely bogus call, I could see the first one but the second was a joke.

The Moss PI was just as bad, again he's gotten away with some but thats no excuse to call one on that play.

As a whole the refs were a joke all game. The early completion to Moorehead is another example, two refs within 10yds, both watching the sideline and his feet(watch the replays) and both called him inbounds even though his foot was clearly out of bounds. Pats had to challenge it.

Numerous horrible calls against the Pats and then on a crucial 3rd down in the 3rd Quarter Faulk gets mugged going over the middle and no call? At one point the Pats had about 120yds of penalties to the Colts 10? This is a team that is near the top of the league in Penalties and these weren't the sound induced type like False Starts, etc....

Quote Originally Posted by JMK View Post
    Could someone please tell Evil Hoodie to lighten up? A pack of starving hyenas are friendlier than this guy. Sheesh.
    He's become insufferable. He was all smiles when the final whistle blew, and then as soon as he got to midfield to shake Dungy's hand he turns into Bellijerk. Honestly, I'm praying they go undefeated in the regular season and then lose at home in the playoffs. It's a stretch, but I can dream.

Meanwhile, the Steelers are humiliating the Ravens. 3 turnovers and it's 21-0. And I'm pretty tired of seeing Ray Lewis and the boys get all pumped up after every single tackle. You're getting spanked boys, even with the turnovers your defense is a sieve tonight, stop acting tough and try playing that way.

"Dad, you killed the zombie Flanders!" "He was a zombie?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jedieb View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JMK View Post
    He's become insufferable. He was all smiles when the final whistle blew, and then as soon as he got to midfield to shake Dungy's hand he turns into Bellijerk. Honestly, I'm praying they go undefeated in the regular season and then lose at home in the playoffs. It's a stretch, but I can dream.

Meanwhile, the Steelers are humiliating the Ravens. 3 turnovers and it's 21-0. And I'm pretty tired of seeing Ray Lewis and the boys get all pumped up after every single tackle. You're getting spanked boys, even with the turnovers your defense is a sieve tonight, stop acting tough and try playing that way.
    My father hates Belichick for that exact reason, he considers him to be a poor sportsman. Seeing him treat a classy guy like Dungy like that is just pathetic.

Speaking of pathetic...did anybody here pick the Ravens to win this game? I'm too lazy to go back and look. If anybody did pick them, ooooo, sorry. :evil

I had a crappy weekend overall football-wise, to me the worst shocker was seeing the Chargers choke so badly, especially after Cromartie's runback of the missed FG. That was just horrible to watch. If it weren't for Buffalo winning and Oakland still playing like a bunch of losers, my weekend would have been a total loss .

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Did I tell you about the time I stole fire from the gods? I couldn't fence it, it was too hot. I really got burned on that deal...

AKA
    Andrew
    Ryan Pode picked them. It's team loyalty, so I don't fault him for it at all. Heck, I'm definitely picking the Steelers to beat the Patriots, regardless of how they're doing by then.

James Harrison is having a blockbuster day - three forced fumbles, an interception, and two and a half sacks in the first half. The Steelers didn't lose anything by waiving Joey Porter, who was a beast in his day, but seems to be losing his step.

Meanwhile, Ben Roethlisberger has tied a franchise record with five TD passes in a single game and has tied the NFL record with 5 TD passes in a half (Tom Brady did it earlier this season). The only two things the Ravens have going for them so far are that they're continuing to stifle Willie Parker and they're getting good yardage out of their return game. If the Steelers can get Parker untracked, or just set up a solid rhythm with Najeh Davenport, they can mail this one in.

Wondering if we might see Kyle Boller in the second half - not because Steve McNair is directly causing the Ravens' woes, but because it'll be a different look for the Steelers' D to cover.

EDIT: ESPN just showed a fan in a Ravens jersey sitting among a bunch of empty seats and yelling at the field. Props to that guy, seriously. I wouldn't enjoy being an opposing fan at Heinz Field under the best of circumstances.

EDIT EDIT: Eesh, the Ravens are dropping like flies right now.
    Last edited by Kale; Nov 5th, 2007 at 10:39:21 PM.

jjwr
    Nothing says coaches have to be friends. How friendly would you be to a guy who called into question everything you had done the past 7 years and compared you and your team to Barry Bonds?

Nothing says coaches have to be friends. How friendly would you be to a guy who called into question everything you had done the past 7 years and compared you and your team to Barry Bonds?
    They probably don't like each other like you said. I have seen examples of that in other sports. I know Riley didn't get along with the Celtics coach in the 80's and treated him the say way that Belichick treats Dungy. There are other examples but they escape me right now. I want to say Marty Schottenheimer never shook hands with Shananan as well, but don't quote me on that. He didn't treat Joe Gibbs like that last week for example. So, I think it is partly personal anomisity between the two men.

My father hates Belichick for that exact reason, he considers him to be a poor sportsman. Seeing him treat a classy guy like Dungy like that is just pathetic.
    And that might as well be my response. If Bellichek doesn't like his accomplishments being called into question then maybe he shouldn't have CHEATED. They got busted and they got the fine and the criticism they deserved. They can play the disrespect card all they want, but if you cheat and get caught you have no one to blame but yourself for whatever comes your way.

And speaking of sportsmanship, the Steelers were up 35-7 at halftime last night yet only finished the game with 38 points. Imagine that, not piling it on despite being up by 4 TD's. What a non-New England way to play the game!

Quote Originally Posted by Jedieb View Post
    And that might as well be my response. If Bellichek doesn't like his accomplishments being called into question then maybe he shouldn't have CHEATED. They got busted and they got the fine and the criticism they deserved. They can play the disrespect card all they want, but if you cheat and get caught you have no one to blame but yourself for whatever comes your way.

And speaking of sportsmanship, the Steelers were up 35-7 at halftime last night yet only finished the game with 38 points. Imagine that, not piling it on despite being up by 4 TD's. What a non-New England way to play the game!
    Truthly, Pittsburgh got most of those points as gifts. When you start inside the 20 on like 4 possesions you should score TDs most of the time. The Steelers don't have an offense that can score points consitently like that so that is why they didn't do anything in the second half because the Ravens stopped turning the ball over. Also ESPN and other sports writers aren't bringing up anything with Bellechek. I think you guys are just reading too much into it. And stop with the cheating argument. I think most of the teams did that. The league just wanted it stopped and used the Pats as the example.

jjwr
    I forgot how Classy Dungy is, this is the same guy who's Colts offense would consistently run up the score on people right?

I have brought up the scoring issue. The Niners routenly run the score up on teams in the 80's. What about what Kansas did to Nebraska on Saturday? That was more embarassing than what the Pats have done to anybody this year.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast