Thread: 1st Person vs 3rd Person

Tipp Gray

Writing 1st Person vs 3rd Person

I know this has been discussed countless times, but I am just curious to get the opinions of SWFans' current roster. Do you guys prefer to roleplay in first person or third person? The following statement is ignorant to the current members and their abilities, but LL is the only person I have seen who can effectively roleplay in first person. I am going to attempt it in a background roleplay with this character to see if I can do it with any skill at all.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    I prefer third, but first is really fun. My only problem in RPing it is that I usually RP in third and so I usually forget halfway through an RP which way I'm RPing, and change it back to third from first.

Tipp Gray
    Yeah, that is what happened to me earlier. I had to go back and change half of the post lol

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    I have a lot of fun with both, really... though I hardly ever use first person in our Star Wars stuff, outside of the occasional 'voice over' or internal monologue.

First person is much better at creating a unique voice and perspective, though, since you get to see the world through their eyes. Even if you don't like to write in third person in general, I find that if you are trouble getting into the mindset of a particular character then writing a little something in first person, from their POV, can really get you in the mood.

TheHolo.Net Moderator

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Dani
    I mostly write third person, but there are a couple of characters that I've decided to delve into first person. That would be my Immortal Michele Hawkins I find it a lot of fun but it's challenging at times to be descriptive IC. As Dasq said, you are looking at the scene through the characters eyes and you have to describe it how they see it. It's a good challenge tho

TheHolo.Net Poster

Chicks dig scars, right? Right guys? Guys? Hello?

Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Charley
    I prefer first person writing because I prefer writing characters that have a lot of inner conflict. It's almost like writing two things happening at once. The downside is that first person writing demands a high level of inspiration. If you don't feel your writing, it suffers tremendously.

Fiona Devlin
    Writing is my weakest area, so I just scrape by writing 'screenplay' style.

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    Quote Originally Posted by Byl Laprovik View Post
    I prefer first person writing because I prefer writing characters that have a lot of inner conflict. It's almost like writing two things happening at once. The downside is that first person writing demands a high level of inspiration. If you don't feel your writing, it suffers tremendously.
    It depends on the character. When I feel like it, Milivikal is easy to write first person.

Artisn
    I think first person is purposeful for certain characters. It matters more about the character in my opinion. Dasq hit it right on the nose. The limitations on first person, but the power of seeings through the characters eyes can give a lot more strength to the writing generally.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Quote Originally Posted by Byl Laprovik View Post
    The downside is that first person writing demands a high level of inspiration. If you don't feel your writing, it suffers tremendously.
    Truth, for me at least. I need to be in the mood to write 3rd person, but twice as much for 1st... and I think that is because of the fact that in 1st person you use the characters voice, where as 3rd can be distant and therefore doesn't require as much effort for characterization.