Thread: What We Do In The Shadows

TheHolo.Net Poster Rathalesh Sheegoth's Avatar
    AKA
    Geoffrey

Closed What We Do In The Shadows

Byblos. Sheegoth Technologies Headquarters. Tower 242:

The office was immaculate. A place for everything, and everything in it's place. No folder or pen cup out of place. Every knickknack was displayed with purpose and free of dust. Every surface was polished until it shined. There was no wear, no tear. Everything looked like new. As if it was only just brought in that very day. Alderaanian marble. Vortexen Glass. Kashyyykian Woods. A dozen materials in this room alone were considered illegal to own on many other worlds. Giant windows dominated the back wall of the office, and projected upon each was a much more pleasing landscape than the true one outside. No one wanted to see the neighboring tower block.

In this case, it was the rolling golden fields of Dantooine.

A figure sat behind the massive desk in an equally magnificent chair that of rich leather construction. A creature of fang and scale, wrapped in the finest OKWear suit; a cornerflower blue number that accented nicely against it's gray scales and blue markings. The matching jacket and it's finely textured golden tie were laid across the top of the desk together. Two tiny golden eyes high up in the ridged and craggy face rolled back into themselves. A brow like a mountain softened and fell away. Gods, the boy's hands felt magnificent! Beside the chair, at the top of a step stool, stood a well groomed individual. Between the dark skin, the complete lack of any visible hair, and the baggy clothing it was impossible to tell the identity of the androgynous creature beyond it's near human features.

It worked it's hands into the shoulders and neck of the mighty dragon, who moaned and cooed with at every touch and the slightest pressure.

A buzzer sounded from the desktop, a terminal lighting up to display the time in flashing aurebesh.

"Look at the time, Asimir. We got carried away. Again. I'm afraid I have a meeting. I will call on you tonight. Until then."

The lithe, ethereal creature glided from the room, disappearing out the door. Standing up Rathalesh Sheegoth squared his massive shoulders and rolled his neck before plucking the jacket and tie up from the desk and slipping them back into place with practiced precision. Cufflinks closed. Jacket buttoned in the center. Tie pulled tight. The CEO of Sheegoth Technologies, communication tech giant, had many pressing and important meetings on his schedule for today; but this one was quite a bit more important to his personal goals, and like many of his personal machinations it was being carefully hidden in plain sight right behind the façade of this legitimate business.

Resuming his place atop his throne, he stared straight at the door, narrowing his eyes.

"Send in Miss Vallen."

Aurora had only been on Byblos on selected occasions since her days as an exchange student. While a very long time ago, Corellia had colonized the planet before it reclaimed its independence, Corellian higher education, like many other institutes of good reputation, had agreements with the university of this high tech planet. It had been twenty ish years since her time as a graduate student, majoring in business and minoring in psychology.

Most people would think it weird that someone like her, who transported goods, both legally and especially illegally, would have such a background. It had allowed her to get started with her network, and learn to read customers better. A desk job had never been in the cards for her, but neither had been the farm where she had grown up.

Humming to herself, the blonde waited in the lobby for her appointment with Seegoth Tech's CEO. It could be one hell of a juicy opportunity and she was quite excited about it. Granted, she looked more nonchalant than her inner chatter went. Dressed in a practical but well-tailored black jumpsuit, her outfit was completed with a teal leather jacket with matching boots, which complimented her bright eyes and accentuated her blond curls. She had had to surrender the weapons she normally carried when entered the headquarters, which she had expected.

When the assistant told her that Mr. Sheegoth was ready to see her, she thanked them, and followed them into the massive office. As always her keen eye took in as many details as possible, before sweeping back upon her host. There was no other way to describe his seat except as a throne, which said things about his mentality, just as the fine quality of everything from his clothes to the general decoration of the office.

"Greetings, Mr. Seegoth," she offered politely, her Corellian accent not as potent as it was in her younger years, but still evident to anyone who had encountered her kind before.

AKA
    Geoffrey
    His deep voice was like thunder cracking as he spoke.

"Come in, Miss Vallen. Please, have a seat."

The menacing nails on his fingertips pointed to the chairs sat in front of his desk, which looked so very small by comparison to the furnishings they stood before. The unbalance of power and perspective was intentional and calculated. Every facet of his appearance was designed to impart fear and awe with the exaggeration of predatory characteristics and size. There was a certain satisfaction that was felt each and every time someone viewed him for the first time. To most they were awestruck; and for the more collected individuals he could see the gears turning in their heads and they tried to figure out just what he was. What species? From what planet? They would always come short. He was unique. There was no other creature in the entire galaxy like Rathalesh Sheegoth.

He watched with interest to see which of these two parties Aurora Vallen would find herself in.

"Thank you for meeting me on such short notice. I appreciate the courtesy."

There was an edge to his voice, a knife hidden in the pleasantries that said that he absolutely did not have to show such politeness and civility. It was a gracious choice on his part.

"I have need of the discretionary transportation of sensitive cargo. You come highly recommended by the Emerald Lady. The job is... sensitive, and complicated. It would require the recovery of the cargo first, which has been wrongfully stolen from me, and then the transportation of it into Wild Space; to the planet of Dartmuth. You would be handsomely rewarded for the effort and discretion. I will also be providing you with one of my most reliable security contractors to assist in the recovery of the stolen cargo. Interested?"

Sheegoth left no room for reply as he brought the entire mission brief down like a hammer.

Aurora had dealt with her share of individuals who had a thing for theatrics, although Sheegoth took them to greater lengths than most of those priding themselves in a sense of grandiosity. She also knew his reputation and had done extra research on him despite the short notice. She hadn't built her career without having some solid and very discreet contacts across several territories.

He was impressive and looked the predator he likely was. She would give him that for sure; but she was mostly curious about what he might be. It was quite the mystery and she wasn't the kind who would pry. As long as he paid well and they got an agreement, she was fine with whatever he was. But she couldn't help being somewhat intrigued. It was a natural reaction after all.

She took the offered seat, her eyes rising to hold his piercing gaze as he wasted no time to expose the situation and the opportunity. Cargo retrieval wasn't something she did as often as other professionals in her line of work; but she knew how to do it. The first thing that came to mind was the possible need for added security but he was willing to provide, which meant how much he wanted it to be done, but also that he could use contractors like her, which meant that this business could lead to more lucrative opportunities.

She didn't try to interrupt once, hearing and even sensing the edge in his voice. She waited until he was done to speak up.

"I'm in. Given the sensitive and complex situation, I believe you have an expected timetable but not a strict one. I will gladly take your security contractor with me but one thing must be clear: aboard my ship, I'm in charge. They're the muscle, but there is only one captain aboard. Similarly, I won't interfere with them leading during retrieval when their expertise may be needed."

She didn't ask about the money. This was a solid opportunity and if the Emerald Lady had recommended her, she knew that her on and off employer didn't mingle with those that paid poorly or were unreliable.

AKA
    Geoffrey
    "That should not be a problem. I have only two stipulations to add to the job. First, that is that you do not kill my Security Contractor. I admit that he is very likely to get himself killed at any moment, and I will hold no grudge if he brings upon himself his own demise. Secondly, that the cargo you are retrieving is not interfered with. It is extremely dangerous, high yield munitions that are rendered quite safe and inert while in their purpose build containers. My Contractor will know what to look for and I assure you that no damaged or unsafe materials will be stored upon your ship. If considered damaged beyond safe transportation by my Contractor, then I would like the damaged goods to be destroyed in space so as to not harm anyone."

It was more information than he was comfortable giving, but he had a respect for the good Captain and he did not want her stumble upon the nature of the goods and become upset that he had not disclosed their nature. Abaddon was sure to run his mouth and let something slip, after all. No, this was a calculated risk and one that would hopefully serve to keep her from snooping through the cargo and potentially figuring out what the cargo actually was. He did not like having to use a mercenary like this but it helped keep the eyes off of him and his operations in Wild Space. Still, he would by lying if he said he had not been tempted to take the Guardian's warship and use it to hunt down these vandals that had stolen from HIM, Rathelesh Sheegoth, the very payment he had received from the enigmatic people in exchange for building the ship.

Mana bombs.

No one could know of them until he was ready to sell them on the market.

"I am, of course, willing to pay whatever costs you feel are necessary for an operation of this nature and the provided dangers."

Aurora nodded to the stipulations Sheegoth laid out. "I will not kill your Security Contractor unless they attempt to kill me first. As for the cargo, I will do exactly as you ask. " The blonde meant every word of it. She wasn't interested in killing added muscle; but she wasn't going to go down like a stupid womp rat either.

She didn't ask for any further details, filing in the back of her mind what her employer had shared, which was more than she had heard on previous missions with other people. She took her jobs very seriously and was a true keeper of secrets, grateful for any details she could get on a mission; but also smart enough not to press for too much information. The cargo she was dealing with this time was of the very dangerous kind; and she would be cautious. After all if she wanted safety in her career, she would have chosen a vastly different one.

While the individual before her was one of a kind and looked everything the predator - she had no doubt he would likely be able to rip her throat out if he wished to, or had enough hidden muscle or weaponry to do so, this wasn't her first wild mission with those most civilized society would avoid.

She quickly did math to think of an acceptable number, which was twenty percent above what she would normally charge, for she had gathered he was loaded. Yet, it was a reasonable price, and if the mission was a formidable success, she definitely hoped to work for him again.

"Seventy thousand credits."

AKA
    Geoffrey
    Rath had not amassed his considerable wealth and power by being generous. However, there was a massive divide between paying your contractors what they are worth and grossly undercutting them. He always leaned toward the former. It built loyalty and returning customers and contractors; and if an individual decided to stab him in the back despite the handsome rewards heaped upon them, then they had truly and completely invited their own destruction upon their heads and there was no room left for interpretation. He took a great joy in destroying those who chose to wrong him despite how they were treated, and more so despite the reputation he had for ruthless retribution. The safest place is in the dragon's shadow, as the old Tusken saying went.

The resemblances between himself and the aforementioned Krayt Dragons of Tatooine would be more than coincidental.

"Done." He replied immediately, snapping his fingers loudly in the air. "The credits are already in your account. Feel free to check, if you so desire. Now, down to details."

His hands returned to leaning on the desk, steepled together so that his black talons all connected neatly. His sharp golden eyes looking over the tops of the scaly pyramid down at the ever so small human on the other side of the massive desk.

"My cargo load was hijacked on it's way to Dartmuth. It was carrying colony supplies to the backwater world along with munitions and weapons for my planetside security detail. I've tracked the thieves to Terminus, on the border of Wild Space. Are you familiar with the Droid Liberation Front, Captain Vallen?"

Aurora's expression remained politely neutral although she was quite impressed with Sheegoth not balking at the price she had requested. She knew it was a tactically reasonable pay but she had seen others, regardless of their fortune, haggle over lesser sums.

"Thank you," she replied with a courteous nod but didn't check. While he had offered her to do so, she trusted his word based on what she knew of him when it came to such things.

While the theatrics probably worked on most people, she mostly recognized the predator before her based on his shape and body language. He hadn't got to the point he was without embodying the threat others could perceive him as. She wasn't completely reckless, even though some people thought she was; but her observation skills had been built and fine-tuned the hard way on enough occasions in her younger days.

As he shared the details of the mission, she was already thinking about how it could shape up, always thinking as she was provided new information.

"I have dealt with some of their members in the past. I had heard they had been ousting smaller gangs in the region over the past five years, with more or less success."

AKA
    Geoffrey
    "And like all social-political movements it is a splintered, uncoordinated mess of infighting factions with one eye on their ultimate goal, and the other on each other. Some more civil and driven, but also quite a few wild and unpredictable. Violent."

Ultimately, Sheegoth had no qualms with the Droid Liberation Front. They were simply individuals that saw Droids as enslaved and wished for better. He could agree with that. He did not employ Droids in almost any capacity between his many companies and operations. Automated manufacturing lines? Absolutely. Not even the DLF would complain of that. He preferred a sapient hand, and in this massive galaxy there was more than enough eager and willing persons to fuel his machines without the need for Droids. A near infinite resource, and cheaper than the alternative.

"One particularly violent chapter of the Droid Liberation Front is helmed by the iconoclast known only as Athena. She has cut quite the bloody path through the edges of the galaxy. However, my chagrin is not with her but rather one of her subordinates. One of her lieutenants has raided one of my ships and stolen my merchandise. This is a particularly uncouth and unpredictable batch of droids that the rest of the Droid Liberation Front has taken painstaking measures to distance themselves from. Are you familiar with the degenerative Artificial Intelligence condition some call Rampancy?"

It was fairly well known that droids develop a bit of a personality after being in operation for longer than advised by the manufacturer. Droids were typically wiped clean periodically to maintain their peak efficiency. However, when not wiped they built up extra code. They evolve, one might say. They develop personalities and become self-aware. However, that is only the first stage. At the end is Rampancy, when the droid has a paralyzing amount of extra something inside them that builds like a cancer until there is too much of it to root out. At that point you were best to throw the whole droid out. There was no saving it from there. No amount of factory resets that would bring it back down to standard.

And then there were droids that want rampant and just kept going. Forever.