Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Familiar Taste of Poison - Holding on to Smoke

TheHolo.Net Poster

Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Natacha
    Lorna had no idea what Grace would say or do. As uncomfortable and off the cuff her admission of feelings had been, she felt freaking relieved. It didn't take anything away from how terrifying the upcoming surgery was but at least she felt she had cleared the air between the Director and her, despite how her confession had apparently been one hell of a bomb she had dropped on her partner.

All she could do really was stand her ground and hold space for Grace, waiting and honoring whatever the brunette would choose to do. She hoped that the door wouldn't close in her face right there and then - or ever; but she would keep her word and honor whatever Grace's decision was.

She wasn't sure what her partner was going to say when she spoke again, and soon found herself listening to what she said on the call with the restaurant again. It was a little confusing, but at least it wasn't a cancellation, so it had to be a good sign, right?

Her lips eventually curved into a little smile when Grace talked to her, and apparently what treating this as a date. She hadn't said the actual words but that was how Lorna interpreted it, between the awkwardness and the private setting at the restaurant.

"Sounds like a plan, although I am very curious as what it is you said you'd bring."

She nodded towards the door. "Will you tell me during the drive? Is it something we need to pick on our way there?"

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Call me... Sassypants.

AKA
    TOP SECRET DANI
    Grace scrunched up her face and lightly shook it, indicating Lorna was wrong in her assumption. She did move towards the door and pulled out a black rectangular device that easily fit in the palm of Grace's hand. It had two uneven antennas protruding upwards and several buttons that appeared they could light up.

"Got it right here." She gently shook it for emphasis before tucking the device away. "A jammer. I like private conversations staying private. Bechan has protocols in place since there's off the record meetings there. More than you can imagine really," she explained as they headed out in the main walkway, "but I need reassurances."

That held dual meanings. This was undiscovered territory for the director since that statement was clearly used for mission directives and working undercover. Not for a discussion like this.

"Depending on our conversation, I ..." she paused, tucking hands inside her front pants pockets, "... well, depending on what comes up during our talk ... I rather make sure it stays between us."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Natacha
    Lorna recognized the jammer the moment Grace showed it to her. They had had to use those from their very first mission. That brought back some memories.

"Good plan," she replied with a nod and a smile. It didn't surprise her that much that the Director would want to keep their discussion private. She wasn't sure what exactly they would end talking about, or what the brunette might reveal about her own red tape; but the doctor was taking things one at a time.

"I guess one of these days I'll need to learn the basics of these devices."

She was set on believing she'd continue to do field work. She'd have plenty of time to fret and worry about the upcoming surgery; but right now she wanted to focus on their dinner, and see how things would unfold. She knew that Grace hadn't said a direct yes or no regarding the possibility of their relationship changing; so she considered it wasn't a lost cause.

"Alright, then we're good to go."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Call me... Sassypants.

AKA
    TOP SECRET DANI
    Lorna's focus was admirable, especially of the future where operative equipment needed to be learned instead of on the fly. She needed that drive to get through the surgery and recovery.

"Yep. Standard equipment and all." She patiently followed Lorna out and towards the nearest exit where a speeder was waiting for them. "Course ... we, as in Alliance Intel, would be more inclined to offer more than a crash course if you'd be around on a more permanent basis."

This was nothing new. Grace had wanted to pull strings and get the doc here for months. Her talents were wasted on Jovan, regardless of how important her job was there. A brilliant mind needed to be challenged and Lorna craved it. And it were goals for her to latch onto than just keeping a job. It was a future career with Intel. Working with Grace...

That was going to be a long and challenging conversation that the director hadn't had since she enlisted. She had to spill her guts - all her fears, insecurities, and be vulnerable after her extraction. That made her heart pound with fear but on the outside? Grace just opened the door to the speeder and offered a hand to assist Lorna up the steep distance between the ground and foot rest.

Grace had to talk about her to Lorna and decide on what to do with these burgeoning feelings.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Natacha
    Lorna knew that she walked slower than usual, for the Director and her normally had a brisk pace. While it annoyed her, she knew that she couldn't do much about it now and she was grateful for Grace's lack of comment about it.

As they made it into the speeder, she took her partner's hand to help her. Once they were on their way, she mused over Grace's words about transferring to Bothawui. It wasn't the first time, the Director had brought it up, and truth be told, she had taken several professional leaves and sometimes transport had been a bit of a challenge, especially for missions that required quick response and solid coordination, while she was on Jovan.

"You know. When I pull through this shit, I think I'll want that transfer."

She paused, unsure of what more to admit. At the same time, it seemed to be the evening to divulge professional and personal things.

"I don't want to be stuck behind a freaking desk for the rest of my career; but being here even during my recovery, I feel like I could do more than if stuck on Jovan. I mean, I know I've done a lot of work that helped people but I want more and I think I've paid my dues for having grown up in an imperial family at this point."

Funny how this health crisis forced her to reconsider stuff; but it was exactly what was happening.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Call me... Sassypants.

AKA
    TOP SECRET DANI
    When Grace hopped in beside Lorna, she quickly snapped her head towards the doctor almost like an eager pup. She turned the speeder over and moved her eyes to the streets as she spoke. "Jovan's done everything it can for you. You can grow here. And stop with the Imperial shit."

She didn't mean for her words to have as much bite to them. "From one former Imperial brat to another, no one gives a shit as long as you pay your dues. We've both done that. Think I've done enough for two lifetimes and working on a third ..."

The last part was muttered because, in a way, Grace would never be able to make up for the transgressions of her brother. No one could.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Natacha
    Lorna was surprised by Grace's reaction to her admission that she was ready to move on from Jovan Station. It just clicked in her mind that she deserved the new assignment and that she could be more useful and grow in her career by admitting she wanted the damn transfer.

The brunette's words and tone hit home, more than she wanted it to.

"You've done enough for a few lifetimes as far as I'm concerned. I've worked in various crisis situations over the years, but you impressed me since that first mission."

This wasn't any flattery or even slightly enamored comment. It was the freaking truth regardless of how their partnership had grown over time.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Call me... Sassypants.

AKA
    TOP SECRET DANI
    "Likewise, Doc. Course your reputation preceded you. All you did was live up to it," she stated honestly before turning down the main road that would take them off base.

It was not as humid like most night since a cold front came in. Light jackets were required and wind combing through their hair was pleasant despite the dark turn their conversation and thoughts went. Evening lights were just coming on as the sun was about to set. Beings were on their way home from work or milling about with late night errands. Children were goofing around on their hoverboards and throwing a smashball between them.

Grace envied the normal life in that moment.

"Anyway ... we're almost there."

Just down another mile and off the main road was the Giska Vel. Expensive looking speeders and limos were being attended to by finely dressed valets as Grace pulled up in the basic model found on base. Several couples and business parties screamed latest fashions and money in front of the enormous picture frame windows trimmed with off white durasteel - and here was Grace parking the speeder and casually jumping out of it as if she weren't dressed in the tan and greys of her New Republic fatigues.

"Hey!" The scene was all so familiar to Lorna. Grace getting out of the speeder and firmly telling the valet to hold off on getting the door. Except this was real and not some staged setup with them acting as girlfriends.

"I got the door for the, doc." She slapped a sizable tip in the valet's hand and patted him on the back. "Thanks though."

This was real Grace opening the door with a half upturned smile as if everything was going to be okay. She offered her hand with no flourish and no roguish smile, just a gentle look and a small nod towards the restaurant. "Ready?"

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Natacha
    Lorna smiled fondly at Grace's response. She had worked her tail off to build that reputation and continuing to improve it and make sure that she lived up to it and grew as a medical professional. Work had been her whole life, save for her pets for the last fifteen years.

As they drove across the city, she took in the sights, having only made pit stops on the planet before. Between working on humanitarian frigates and then on Jovan Station, she hadn't been based in any city like that since her time on Rori many years ago. While she loved doing field work and hoped to continue to do that after her recovery from that blasted surgery, the thought of having her small apartment located in civilization was appealing.

When they arrived at the fancy restaurant, she was amused at the thought of what others might think. She didn't care about her frumpy clothes at all. And she was pulled from her brief contemplation as a sense of deja vu washed over her. She chuckled and took her partner'sh and to get out of the speeder. She knew the day had been full of turns and twists, and difficult conversations - with more to come on the later; but it was funnily refreshing that they were doing this as themselves.

"You had me at fancy sea food, remember?"

Chuckling, she managed not to fully limp as they made their way towards the front desk.

"Good thing I only need to stop eating tomorrow night, because I have missed good sea food in the past year or two."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Call me... Sassypants.

AKA
    TOP SECRET DANI
    Grace half smiled, shaking her head a little. "You can get a bantha bag to go too if you want. Have some seafood for lunch."

Whatever made Lorna happy at this point to get her through the next few days, Grace would encourage.

"Ah Director Van-Derveld and her guest," announced the Mon Cal maître d'.

"Dr. DeLatour," Grace gently corrected.

"Of course." The Mon Cal blinked and looked to Lorna. "Bechan says this is your first time eating with us. She hopes you have a wonderful time. And if there's something not on the menu, please let your server know. Perhaps we can accommodate your request after checking our inventory. Please ..."

With a flourish that was rather dainty for a stocky Mon Cal, the maître d' beckoned them to follow, "Right this way. The table you requested is prepared to your specifications, Director. Have you brought anything else?"

Grace nodded. "Standard issue. Nothing that won't affect your systems."

"Good, good." The Mon Cal and Grace ignore the stares of some patrons that were curious why the rabble were allowed to eat here or recognized the director. Lorna was the cause of a few whispers, some ignorant and petty while others were concerned about the limp. It was all gossip to be ignored.

"Here we are ladies!" the Mon Cal announced and pulled out the chairs for both of them. With a tap on the vertical rectangular datapads, the menu came to life and he presented them without hurry to them. "Our specials are a shrimp and artichoke amalfi - crisped to perfection with a peppercorn sauce. A sea scallop risotto, and freshly caught anchovies! Our finest from Dac!"

He clapped his hands together and inhaled with the characteristic gurgle. "Can I get your drinks started?"

Grace nodded and produced her jammer, hiding it behind the salt and pepper shaker holder. "Got Ak Ale on tap?"

"Of course, Director."

"I'll take that," she said absently, making sure the jammer was working on her wrist computer.

"Excellent." He looked to Lorna. "And you?"

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Natacha
    "A bantha bag sounds good! So I get all the good food before dealing with the hospital kind."

Ration bars generally tasted better than hospital meals, so she would make the best of it while she still could. There was still a possibility that her surgery happened late on the following day rather than the subsequent morning; but she would still likely have another meal before then. Time would tell.

She nodded with a polite smile to the Mon Cal maitre d'. "Thank you for your welcome."

She watched the interaction about the extra jammer between Grace and the Mon Cal. The Director was definitely well-known at the restaurant, which didn't surprise her that much if it was a favorite of hers and who knew what work she might have done for the owner of the place as well.

She swoons just at the mention of the specials. The whole menu looked fabulous as she caught sight of just a few more options; but she had the idea the specials grabbed her interest in a definitive way.

When asked for her drink choice, she mused for a brief moment before going for a simple but delicious choice.

"I will go with some Eldar cider please."

The maitre d' nodded and left them for the time being. Lorna looked up at Grace. "Everything working fine?"

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Call me... Sassypants.

AKA
    TOP SECRET DANI
    Grace absently pat the table after confirming the jammer was functioning. "Yep all good. That's working and everything Bechan has in place is a go."

Even their table was in a far corner away from prying ears. They could talk freely.

She went to say something but without any direction of where to begin, Grace ended up shutting her mouth and leaned back against the back cushion of the chair with outstretched arms. Fingers laced together before the grip went inside out and cracked her knuckles to release some physical tension, but did nothing for her emotional state and racing heart.

"Fuck," she hissed out quietly as hand fell to the table in defeat. "I got nothing."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Natacha
    Lorna nodded to Grace's answer and waited for her to say something, since they had agreed to discuss things during dinner. She wasn't sure what her partner wanted to share and wouldn't push her either. In her view, she had witnessed enough of the brunette's personality over the past year that she didn't see how her interest would change. Of course, if a romantic relationship wasn't something Grace wanted, she would respect that.

She quirked a brow when the other woman spoke at last. Their drinks arrived, which gave the medical doctor a moment to gather her own thoughts about where to take the discussion.

"Well, you know lots about me, maybe you even read things I forgot about in my file; but is there anything you need clarification on? Or do you have any question?"

By giving space for Grace to ask questions, she hoped to help a bit.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Call me... Sassypants.

AKA
    TOP SECRET DANI
    Grace acknowledged the delivery of the drinks with nod and a muttered thanks, glad for something to do instead of staring awkwardly at Lorna. She took a healthy swig, thinking this whole night was just off to a fabulous start. And she was actually drinking. Consciously choosing that was uncharacteristic of the director, but so was being kissed and having someone profess affections towards her. Did it really matter if she indulged for once?

"Ah ...hm ..." There was a long pause as Grace pondered what she didn't know about Lorna and came up empty. She knew everything about the doctor since it was decided they pose as girlfriends back on Zeltros. She scoured every untouched file that was unrelated to their first mission on Cona because as much as she trusted Lorna with her life, she wanted to make sure an intimate undercover job could be accomplished without unwanted attachments. Who knew that just being Grace would create those feelings after months of working together.

"Grav-ball," she blurted out after swallowing down the ale. "When ... when did you play last? Or why ... do you like it?"

Lorna saw her visibly wince. Interrogating a perp for intel was second nature but casual talk with someone that had feelings for her, which were returned, was a disaster.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Natacha
    Lorna took a long sip of her cider, appreciating that it wasn't too strong. She was happily going to stuff her face and could drink a bit despite the painkillers but she wanted to remain on the safe side. She hadn't completely lost her mind yet, even though kissing Grace probably looked like it.

She wouldn't say it aloud but there was something endearing to the way her partner was dealing with the talk she had wanted to have following what happened before they left for the restaurant. She thought that telling the Director she was bordering on cute right now would probably go weirdly.

She quirked a brow and couldn't hide her surprise when Grace asked her about grav-ball. She had to think for a bit about the first question.

"Sheesh, it was before I started working on Jovan station. They don't have an arena for it. We play the game in small indoors arena, wearing hoverboots and passing the darn ball from one repulsor baton to the other. It looks simple at first but there is so much strategy besides the physical workout. I miss it."

Relaxing in her chair to make herself more comfortable, she took another sip from her drink.

"I started playing when I was about ten. I even was part of the Inter-Academy League when I attended the university of Coruscant. I was a midfielder."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Call me... Sassypants.

AKA
    TOP SECRET DANI
    "Well ... more reason to get your ass healed up so you can play again." Lorna was Grace's sole focus even as biscuits arrived. The waiter was savvy enough to not interrupt and would subtly circle their table until he saw a proper pause. "We have an arena here. Multiple fields for multiple sports. Being the capitol of the New Republic brings a lot competitive sports throughout our systems."

She took a sip, feeling more relaxed as this conversation was safe. Feeling safe made her feel in control again. "More of a smashball girl myself. Probably not too much of a surprise."

Grace was a very physical person after all. "I paid my dues in the teen circuits on Corulag. Probably when most of my future competition at the academy started to hate me."

Furthering that thought made Grace scowl, but Lorna could presume it was because most Imperial men hated having their asses handed to them by a woman in any sport.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Natacha
    Lorna nodded more solemnly than she had meant to, at Grace's words. Then her face lit up at the mention of arenas in the city. It hadn't even crossed her mind but this made her want to get better as well and go play.

"This is great! I've been on remote worlds for several years so normal cities have been rarities."

She reached out for one of the biscuits, seconds before her stomach growled yet again.

"I've missed playing it so it would be great."

She chuckled at the mention of smashball.. It definitely was very Grace!

"Yeah this checks out. I've never really played that but watched games."

She groaned at the brunette's last words, sadly not surprised at all.

"I got in trouble with a league from the military academy a few times. They thought us university brainiacs couldn't measure. I handed their asses to them when we kicked them off their pedestal for two consecutive seasons."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Call me... Sassypants.

AKA
    TOP SECRET DANI
    For now Grace was happy with her drink and if Lorna wanted all the biscuits, they would be hers. It was delightful hearing Lorna brag about beating military cadets. A fleeting what if scenario came across her mind, curious if things on Corulag had gone differently, would Grace have seen Lorna sooner? She never played grav-ball, but she enjoyed watching it live and since they're close in age, there was that possibility paths may have intersected at some point.

"Yeah. They don't like losing. Or being showed up by a woman." She sighed and took a nice long healthy sip of her drink, flagging the waiter over. Her next thoughts were not suitable to admit now. Which means it was time to order. The waiter immediately padded over.

"Madam Director!" The waiter smiled, hands clasped behind his back. "You ready to order? And ah! The biscuits are a hit! I'll bring more."

Grace nodded. "We are. Lorna? Care to go first."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Natacha
    Lorna stopped her movement as she was to grab another biscuit when Grace spoke. There was something about the succession of sigh and flagging the waiter at once that made her wonder what was going through the brunette's mind. It wasn't the first time this kind of gear shift happened in conversations of moments, both during missions and off duty.

She placed the other biscuit onto her plate and chuckled at the waiter's comment, unable to hide her grin at the mention of more.

"I'll make sure to leave room for the main dish," she admitted with an almost sheepish look.

"I'll go with one of today's specials: the shrimp and artichoke amalfi with peppercorn sauce, please."

She took a bite from the biscuit while her partner ordered. She wasn't sure what else to say about grav-ball, or if Grace had other questions. And it seemed that putting her into the position to ask question had helped her relax a little for a bit, which might help with whatever she might want to share during the conversation they had agreed to have.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Call me... Sassypants.

AKA
    TOP SECRET DANI
    "I'll go with the taglioni with lobster. I'm sure it's still made with same day catch?" she inquired but the subtle smile said Grace knew the answer.

"Of course. Nothing but the best for one of our signature dishes, Madam Director," confirmed the waiter.

"Great. So that and biscuits. And maybe a fizzy lemonade. Yeah." She nodded and looked to Lorna who added a water before the waiter went off the place their orders.

It grew silent for a few beats because the grav-ball ice breaker only worked for a few minutes before thoughts turned dark. She wasn't good at this at all and didn't want to scare Lorna. Though it was foolish to think that because the doc was compassionate and understanding. They had similar struggles in some ways as former Imperials but their paths had caused trauma in far different ways.

"Alright, look." She scooted closer and hunched over the table, looking more the spy than a dinner date. "I suck at this too." She rolled her eyes and shrugged. "Obviously. I mean, I know everything about you and you can regurgitate it back to me from your perspective because that would help me understand things from your emotional perspective. Or ..."

It was a long pause as Grace inhaled deeply and stared at frothy top of her ale and when she spoke, it was quieter and not full of her usual confidence. "You can ... ask me stuff. You barely know anything about me. Which is how I like it. Though with you? What happened back on base?"

She frowned. "Doesn't seem fair that you don't."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast