Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Discomfort Zone

The moment the door closed it was like a huge weight was taken off my shoulders. No more performances, no one else to impress. Just me and Beck; just the way I wanted it to be.

Aaaaand then the stress can hurtling back at the speed of warp as she started asking questions that I didn't have good answers for. The truth was unflattering and maybe creepy. Hey, I was horny and thinking of you; doesn't exactly make the ladies go squee in my experience.

"I was doing a job on Torque and since I was in the sector... I really wanted to see you."

The truth was so sappy and gooey. Thank the goddess there was not anyone around to hear that come out of Abaddon's helmet. I can't afford for my reputation to take a bigger dive here. I mean, I hate Jovan with all my being but still, there might come a time or level of desperation in which I might have to take a job or two on this floating garbage can. Can't ruin that for Future Me.

It was... it was really sweet. And honestly not what she'd expected. Ori was the sort of person who had a seemingly busy schedule, and after their first meeting and minor adventure on Centares, Tamera figured that Ori would be off to do her own thing. But she was here now, standing in front of her.

A bevy of options seemed to dance in front of her mind's eye, but all she could think of in the moment was to offer the obvious.

"Wanna come to my place?"

Oh god yessss... It was everything I wanted. I could feel the blood rushing to my ear and the butterflies in my stomach. Fuck. It was like being back in that motel room again. Thank the goddess I have this bucket helmet on. I don't even want to know what my stupid face looks like right now.

"Yeah. That sounds cool."

Wait, did I wear my good bodysuit or the one with the holes? I had to have put on the good one, right? Why would I even wear that ratty one if I was seeing Beck? Oh shit, I can't remember. I should have brought a bag with some stuff on board. Goddess above and below I walked into this poorly prepared.

She gave a nod, and a slight smile as her eyes went from Ori's unreadable helmet to look past her. Hands clasping together in front of her, Tamera ushered her surprise guest along then, towards an open archway that would lead them both out into a yawning cavern of a general area. Alliance personnel and a smattering of engineers bustled about with their own tasks to complete, and the brunette expertly wove her way through the morass.

A few faces were familiar, and greeted her in passing. With Ori in tow, Tamera navigated their path out to the row of lift doors on the far wall.

"So a job on Torque, eh?"

Her stomach gave a slight rumble then, and she buried her free hand into the open bag of crisps. A few bites and a swallow later, she hoped that the brief respite of bad snacks was enough to alleviate her insistent gut. She'd not eaten an actual meal since the morning hours, and even then it'd been a glazed wampaclaw. Not even an 'actual meal' as she liked to tell herself.

The lift doors hissed open, disgorging a cadre of maintenance workers before she bulled her way inside.

And when the doors closed again, it was just Ori and her.

"You bring your regular clothes with you?"

Goddess this place was crazy busy. I'd been here before, but usually during events like that stupid love festival. Never had a good reason to come here before. I'd never seen just like a regular day, I guess? It was way more people than I expected. Everywhere I looked another group of people came crashing in like waves. It was claustrophobic, and that's coming from a guy in a full suit of armor! I'd taken part in some nasty scraps against bad odds and big numbers. Dirtmuth comes to mind. It felt like that. A little too much like that. Damn, I wish I had my blaster right now. I'd feel a lot safer, that's for sure. I don't need it or anything. I'm fine by myself, but yeah. It would be nice to have. If it wasn't for Beck to guide me through the throng I'd get lost in the middle of all this. I kept my eye on that ass and it lead me through the crowd like a lighthouse on the rocks.

"Yeah. Torque. It's a lot like Coronet but if Coronet had no working lights and everything was made of duracrete and sadness. Kind of a shithole. Lots of people go there to hide. Wouldn't be the first time I went there to pull a bail jumper or wanted fugitive. No big deal. Got my guy, got paid, and I didn't get shot this time, so that's a plus."

No sooner had the doors of the turbolift closed then I crossed my arms and spilled my guts about the Torque job. In truth, it had been a huge disappointment. I took the job thinking I was going to see some action. Torque was great for a little collateral damage while you chase some shlub through a overflowing gutter and have an epic showdown in a dead end alley. Nothing like that. I got really lucky on a shot and took his leg out right at the start and the guy surrendered immediately. It was a good payout, and I really needed the credits, but so boring. Like three hours of work tops. I didn't even know what to do with myself afterwards. Usually I have to patch armor or maintenance my weapons. I didn't have anything to do with all that free time, which kind of lead to me coming here.

"I don't have any on me, no. All my stuff is back on my ship in dock."

Duracrete and sadness. Yup. That was a good way to describe Torque.

At the admission of clothes being on the ship, Tamera gave an easy shrug.

"Eh, it's no big deal. We don't really have to impress anyone, and I know I've got a few clean pairs of sweatpants and a few shirts in the back of my closet that are still good."

She was already thinking ahead to a night of reruns on Holoflix and delivery, and with an entire afternoon and evening to herself and Ori, she was excited to show the other woman a... good time? Then again, what did her companion want to do? It was a strange and sudden thought that invaded her brainmeats, and Tamera bit her lip in concern.

"...Unless... were you wanting to go out tonight?"

I'd like to give you the 'ol in and out...

I couldn't help but smile underneath my helmet as that joke passed through my head meat, but then the full realization of her question sunk in. Shit. I really don't want to go out, because out means being out here where there are Cizeracks. A lot of Cizeracks! That sounds really dangerous for my mental health and my actual health. What if she's here? I mean, she would never be caught dead on Jovan Station, fraternizing with the peasants and the help. Women of good breed would never find themselves on a Space Station. ThE vErY iDeA! That's what she said, or something like that. I really don't pay attention to her when she's talking. It's always been two scoops of racism and classism underneath a powder coat of "life advice". No. She shouldn't be here, and I shouldn't be so scared.

Maybe going out will impress Beck enough to seal the deal? Goddess knows I want that. All of that.

"Yeah. Let's go out. You and me, to your favorite place on the station. No exceptions. Whatever you like. I'm sure I've got the attire to match. What we talkin', like a suit and tie?"

Her favorite place on the station? Honestly that wasn't a difficult thing to think on, since the Solarstorm Cafe was without a doubt the best joint - to her tastes - on Jovan. It was a dingy hole-in-the-wall establishment that served greasy diner food. The lighting was low, there was an old style music player that you could queue up your preferred songs to play on, and the clientele was mostly people who just wanted to enjoy their time, the food, and the ambience. It wasn't ever really packed out, but there were a steady stream of customers regardless. Tamera had her preferred meal, and the servers knew it by heart.

Shaak bacon bantha burger with Klatooinian-style fried onion rings and a chocolate malt that was always served in the metal mixing cup.

It was honestly the best.

And just like that, going out to the Solarstorm Cafe sounded infinitely better than staying in the evening.

As the lift slowed to a stop, she adjusted her glasses, leading the way out through the doors and into one of the many corridors of the habitation ring.

"No suit and tie, unless you really want to dress up," she grinned.

"It's a small place, really. Nowhere fancy."

Fancy places made her nervous as it was. The last place she'd been to like that, she'd accidentally taken a bite out of the overly-fragile Chandrilan crystal wine glass. That whole dinner experience had been a disaster as it was.

She stopped in front of a door, reaching out to key her code the entry pad.

"So long as you like greasy food and no expectations, you'll be gold."

Hell yeah, casual eats. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Beck doesn't exactly strike me as the type that wants to go in some fancy place with fru-fru meals that barely put a dent in your stomach. I couldn't even remember the amount of Galas and dinner parties mother dragged us to with dishes like that. Real disappointment. At least my dads always knew to bring a few snacks along if they wanted me to behave and not climb up the curtains or scale the fountain in the foyer. Sounds like this place won't have that problem. I was picturing a greasy spoon type establishment with food in a glass case and only old people eating there. That's fine. Old people start less fights. Also not the kind of place that Cizeracks frequent. They like their food in a pile on the floor, not on chipped plates on old tables.

"Sounds great. Would you guess that the chairs can hold my weight? That's a legit concern, and this armor weighs a mint."

Following her to her door felt like a dream. It wasn't how I pictured it. I had no idea what the domicile levels looked like on this station. I'd only ever been on the promenade. I figured that Beck was one of two kinds of people, either she kept a really cute place where everything was just so, or it was a disaster that she was way too busy to maintain. If there wasn't a pyramid of Praangal tubes in a corner I was going to be disappointed.

The door to her quarters hissed open to reveal a strange amalgamation of cleanliness and clutter.

One wall had been painted in an accent color of light slate blue, with a smattering of framed pictures hung on it. Some were old-style photo-flimsis, others were paintings. All were of the same subject matter - lothcats.

The furniture wasn't the standard utilitarian fare; instead, Tamera had put out the credits for a matching set of smart, mid-Republic modern style sofa and chairs. The endtables and caf table were real wood. They were also stacked high with parts manuals and picture books. A few candles could be seen on wall shelves, and a pair of mottled white 'wampa' slippers (complete with soft leather claws, even) were on the floor of the hallway that led to the back of her small quarters. Standalone bookshelves could be seen, glass-encased and full of limited edition figures from Jedi's Creed, Galaxy's Cry, and a few other hologames.

Ducking in, she let Abby follow at a comfortable pace.

"Your... armor?" She at least waited until the door closed before giving a strange look over her shoulder while heading into the small kitchenette to deposit her crisp bag on the counter.

They were on downtime now, after all. No need for armor.

There it was. Right there in her tone and question. She didn't want the armor around. I get it, I think. Not exactly the easiest thing to drag around the station but... there are people out there, just beyond that door, and I really don't know if I can deal with them without the armor. I mean, Abaddon can. He's kickass and doesn't take shit from no one. But Orianna isn't that confident, isn't that strong, and certainly doesn't kick any ass. She would need a stool just to reach some ass. It was one thing to be her in the privacy of a motel room with no threats other than some fat parole officer, but here there were genuine dangers to myself. God. I just know that somehow this will get back to mother and then I'll have to deal with another weird bounty hunter showing up and trying to take me back home.

I mean, Fook was pretty cool in the end but I'd rather not go through that again.

This place was nice. It felt a little like home. Pictures of cute animals and collectible figures. Kind of shit I'd have back on the Nemesis if I wasn't trying to cultivate a very particular look. Wouldn't really strike fear into my bounty's hearts if there was a lothcat on the walls smiling back at them through the bars of their cell. This felt safe, and even more so because Beck was here. She'd seen me; been around me and seen me do some stupid shit, and she hadn't run away yet. I was kinda expecting her to close the engineering bay door on my face. But she didn't. I guess I owe her for that much.

Reaching up I grabbed the sides of the helmet and twisted it, disengaging the neck seal and pulling the helmet free. The recycled station air wasn't much of an improvement over what my suit was already filtering, but one layer of filtering removed was better than none. Thumbing the activator in the now opened neck the back of the suit began unclamping and opening up. Yeah. I got it fixed. No more having to open it with a spanner and a butter knife. I slipped out of the back, right out of my perfectly regulated miniature environment and into the station air which felt much colder than I was expecting. If I wasn't self conscious about myself before I certainly was now as my body stiffened in the cold air. The body suit was not meant for warmth. It was designed to keep my skin from getting pinched inside the suit.

Reaching up I pulled the stocking cap free of my head and shook the sharp undercut out, letting my hair fall over the chewed up remains of my right ear. The blue was gone and now my hair was bleach fading into silver. Thought I'd treat myself with something different. If I didn't have a new crazy color every other week than my mother would win.

"Oh jeez, jit'ss sso cold. Sstupjid sspace..."

I crossed my arms across my chest and tried to force the warmth back within while I stumbled after Beck toward the Kitchenette. It always felt weird walking on my feet after being in the suit. Abaddon's boots hit different.

It was nice to see Ori's face. With a warm smile, Tamera reached out to the kitschy patterned blanket draped over the back of a barchair. Bundling it up, she tossed it to her companion.

"Here, get yourself warm."

Moving past Ori, she headed for the enviro controls.

"I'll kick up the temp a little. Normally I'm used to keeping it on the cold side, but I think we can get it warmer."

A cold home meant she could curl up in blankets as much as she wanted, as the myriad of throws gave evidence of. They were draped over the backs of the sofa, the chairs, and a few were even in crumpled piles on the floor. Each one was different and brightly colored, and at least one had a Pantoran fluff lining all on one side. That one was her favorite.

"So," she ticked the meter up a few levels, "... my place isn't spectacular I know, but I hope it's ok for now."

Grabbing the blanket out of the air I wasted no time wrapping it around my shoulders and closing it up in the front. The fabric was cold as I pulled it on but it still felt better than the naked air on my bodysuit.

Beck was bustling about the place trying to get it all right for my surprise visit. Maybe I should have commed ahead, but I have to say she looks really cute while she's working. Real cute. Too cute. Oh god. I shouldn't. I should wait until after dinner; but there she is, turned away looking at the temperature controls. She was real good looking from the front but from back it was irresistible. My legs are moving. I'm walking. I guess better now then never. I can't be afraid of what she thinks forever.

Slipping right up behind her I opened the blanket and wrapped my hands around her waist and rested my chin on her shoulder. Her hair was tickling the side of my face. She smelled like engine oil and snack chips.

"jYou'rre place jiss grreat. Rreal cute and cozy. jI love jit."

Taken by surprise, Tamera blinked, feeling Ori's hands around her waist. The other woman's chin on her shoulder felt... funny? It was a strange feeling, not like the sensation of a hand or arm. There was also a bit of a moment when she froze. Feeling another body up against hers was something that she wasn't entirely used to. No one here on Jovan had ever expressed interest in her, and if she was to be perfectly honest, she'd never really felt it necessary to show interest in anyone else here. Jovan was where she lived, where her job was. It was a good job, too - a fair step above the old body shop she used to work at on Nar Shaddaa, that was for sure.

One hand instinctively moved to rest over one of Ori's own, and the other fell away from the thermostat to reach up and adjust her glasses yet again.

"Ori," a moment passed before she turned in the other woman's arms so that they faced one another. The look on the Cizerack woman's face was so singular and earnest, with a tinge of apprehension at the thought of rejection. It was just so honest of an expression, and Tamera let her own features fall into a reassuring smile.

"You wanna order in?"

I could feel her body tighten as my hands took her and I waited with my eyes closed for the flying elbow. I didn't have a helmet on to protect my face. But it never came. Instead she rested her hand on mine. There was no yelling or hitting, so already this was going better than most of my encounters with ladies. I peeked open one eye before the other. This was going too well, there had to be something coming. Abaddon never had it go this smooth, and that guy is smooth as fuck; and yet this felt so much more real then all those other times.

She turned in my arms and I carefully placed my hands on her hips even though every synapse in my stupid little head wanted me to press into her and dig my hands down lower. I kept myself restrained. There were nagging thoughts at the back of my mind but I tried to focus on her face; in her eyes, but in her glasses I could see my own reflection, and behind me the headless armor. It was jarring to see both of me at once, and somehow that empty neck hole was looking at me with disappointment. I blinked, and refocused my eyes to see through the glasses instead. Beck's eyes were very pretty.

"S-Ssurre." I stammered out. Dammit. That's not how it sounded in my head before I opened my mouth. I want to be strong and confident, like Abaddon. That's how I always pictured this encounter, but now that I had my hands on her I felt like I was melting into goo. My stupid ear wouldn't sit still on my head.

"We can eat out anotherr njight."

I wanted so many things, but every one of them felt like an overstep, and I didn't want to ruin this. I can't remember ever wanting something this badly. I could feel my face and ear warming up, and my stripes did very little to hide a blush.

"jI... jI jusst want to sspend tjime wjith jyou. jI rreally djid mjissss jyou."

Tamera gave a nod, her smile still there. Ori looked like she was about to fall over from the tiniest breeze, and truth be told, she herself had her fair share of stomach flutterflies right now. The notion that anyone wanted to actually spend time with her outside of a work environment was just... well... it had never really happened.

"How about I order us some food, and you can get into some warmer clothes," she offered gently.

She was still hungry, after all.

"Might be nice to have something that isn't snacks and refueling station fare. There's a Cizerack place that I hear is good; something about a fuzzy box of 12 sajoi and 2 thimiar?"

Then again, Ori had been more than happy to eat the same food that Tamera herself enjoyed back on Centares, so she angled for options.

"Course there's also a Quarren place that delivers some great seafood platters."

The thought of eating live food made my stomach lurch. I mean, I would eat Sajoi if it was the only thing available, but I definitely didn't go out of my way to get it. I had tried really hard to distance myself from everything from my culture. Feeding pits, husband slaves, and that ridiculous accent. Abaddon's comm system helped with that, but I was getting pretty good at talking with very little accent when I put my mind to it. And snacks. Of course I couldn't give up my Cizerack snacks, but I mean. Come on?! When some other species starts making snacks as tasty I'll switch to those but for now it's the one thing I'm allowing to stick around. The rest. Buhbye.

"Sseafood ssoundss grreat. jI can't rrememberr the lasst tjime jI had sseafood."

Most of my food was whatever I could easily store and make in the confines of my ship, and it wasn't as roomy inside as it looks. That meant refreeze meals and a lot of boxed and canned goods. Which meant I was mostly eating Lavapockets and tubes of Praangals. I'd be a fat tub of lard if it wasn't for genetics and the natural physicality that came with the job. I had to work out constantly, or I wouldn't fit inside Abaddon. That was a pretty big incentive.

I wished my bodysuit was the kind of that zipped from the back, because then I could ask Beck to undo it for me. Sadly it was a front zip, or I'd never be able to get out of the damn thing on my own. Ooh! Maybe I could have some fun with this after all. I shouldn't. I really shouldn't, but I want to see what she does. I want to know how she sees me. She mentioned changing clothes into something warmer, but that would mean taking off the suit. I mean, I could wear clothes over the top of them but that wasn't very comfortable. The damn thing was slinky, tight, and pinched.

"jYou don't have to lend me yourr clothess jif jyou don't want. jI could rrun back to mjy sshjip..."

I opened the blanket and grabbed the zipper at my throat and began sliding the zipper down as if absently mindedly. I wasn't any good at it and I'm sure it looked awkward as fuck, but damn I was going to go for it! I let it slip down halfway to my navel so that the opening split would show a little something something. Not that it was showing more than the tight fabric already gave away, but still! Beck was gonna get a load of these stripes and scars one way or another. I should have probably warned her about the blaster hole scars. Those are usually really jarring for people. I don't know why. I think they look sick. A little cleavage and some scars. This felt like such an Abaddon power move. I could feel the blush growing, like my goddamn ear was going to catch fire. Oh goddess, this was a bad idea!

"Oh!"

Ori was already at her navel with the zipper pull when Tamera shifted her hand to stall any further downward movement.

"Clothes, food, then fun, I always say," she nervously laughed. "Well, sometimes I say that."

She'd never said that. She'd never even had a reason to say anything like that since the last time she'd even been with anyone had been... one... ? Two... ? Oh gods, it'd been five years. Five years since she'd participated in anything remotely intimate with another being. There'd been Clive, but he'd had the annoying habit of chewing too loudly and the first date was as far as she let him get. Then after Clive had been Joleen, but she had turned out to be a thief of the worst order (who stole bras and Corusca-Gem Light flavor packets, anyway?! That woman had been a menace).

Those memories washed away in the face of the here and now, and Tamera gave an encouraging smile to Ori. Ori who was Abby, Abby who was Ori. It was weird, but not the strangest thing that she'd encountered in this great big galaxy.

"You'll feel more comfy anyway, and I honestly don't mind sharing."

The cornucopia of snacks that they'd shared while on Centares immediately came to the forefront, and she pulled Ori with her.

"It'll be fun," Walking backwards toward the opening of the short hall that led to her room and the closet beyond, Tamera heard the first rumblings of a hungry stomach, making itself more than known.

"... I promise."

There it was! That reaction! She was so flustered. It was very cute. I couldn't keep the smirk from forming on my face. Thankfully the reaction came sooner than later. I wasn't sure I could pull that zipper down anymore than I did. It was all fun and games to tease a little but the action also brought on the dark realization that I had not been naked in a lit room with another person in a very long time. My rare moments of hot bangin' usually happened in the dark or to a blindfolded woman. You know, because they thought I was a cool dude in a suit of armor and it took a lot of work to maintain that image for a quick stress out sesh before putting the armor back on and moving on with my day. I don't even want to think about what's going to happen if things progress with Beck. I don't even have my kit with me.

I'd have to do it... naturally.

"Oh?" was all I managed as she grabbed and pulled me along after her down the hall and toward her room. It was giving me some real mixed messages about what was actually coming first on that list of hers.

Ori let herself be dragged rather easily, and Tamera was thankful for that at least. Stepping through the doorway into her room, she let go of Ori and sidestepped to her closet, opening it and practically diving in. A few pantsuits, a sundress she'd gotten at least fifteen years ago that she'd never worn, a bunch of old t-shirts from every speeder bike rally she'd been to on Nar Shaddaa (and a few on Toydaria). Along one side wall was a row of shelves with folded pants. Some slacks, some cargo workpants, and a mess of sweatpants. Those were her prize, and grabbing a pair, she pulled it out. It had a printed pattern of Stormtrooper armor on it, and the shirt she grabbed - a faded number from Cloud City Outfitters, were both shoved into Ori's now-empty hands.

"I'm going to order us some food, and you... "

She paused then, biting her lower lip in thought.

"... you get yourself into the proper attire for a lazy night."

That sounded so detached. It was like she was a robot.

"I mean, it's not going to be completely lazy, only just a little bit. Plus I'm hungry and plus we have the whole late afternoon and evening, and plus... "

She could go on indefinitely. Instead, she chose to end it with one more plus.

"... well, you know."

It had been so long since anyone had shone such an interest in her, and she felt only a little bit panicky. Like, the sort of panic that set in when one had no idea what to do in the face of the situation before them. She felt like a dewback, tossed into the seas of Dac during a storm.

Tamera gave an almost pleading grimace that was also a smile, and she reached up to take off her glasses.

"It's been a while, and I wouldn't mind getting to know you."

A strange thought then, as her brow furrowed a small bit in contemplation, and she cast a look back in the direction they'd come from; through the bedroom doorway and down the hall to where Ori's armor stood just out of sight.

"And well, I'd like to know about Abby, too."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast