Thread: The Mandalorian

The Mandalorian

Anybody seen it?

Trailers have been good, and it seems to be getting good buzz.

I don't have Disney+, and while it looks like this has promise to be a really good series, I don't know that it's enough for me to deal with yet another streaming service. Just curious if anyone here has seen it and what the thoughts are?

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: W4BSY Steam ID: ApexLupine
    It's fantastic. The beginning really feels like a Sergio Leone opening, and the rest is just an absolute feast for the eyes. The run time also flew by, and didn't feel like 40 minutes at all. It left me wanting more, I gotta say.

TheHolo.Net Poster

Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Charley
    Really strong opening. Like Christin said, the Sergio Leone vibes in this are heavy. Also there’s more than a few big surprises already

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Silver-Tongued Devil

Has been a member for 5 years or longer

Its pretty high quality. The make up, the effects, everything's on the level you would expect from a Star wars movie, or a premium Tv network.

Disney+ isn't available yet down under, so I had to acquire the episode via ... other means.

As the others have said, it's a great opening - 'space western' for the win. Looking forward to the next episode.

"A Jedi must remain focused. Mastery of the Force requires that all unnecessary activities be purged from daily life."

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Episode 2 was fantastic. Had a very Lone Wolf and Cub vibe, and the sparse dialogue is perfect. The sandcrawler chase gave a delightful nod to Last Crusade, and the Jawas were just great

I feel like the quality has dropped off slightly after episode 1 and 2. I still love it but I hope by the end of the season it doesn't feel like episode 1 and 2 were from a different series all together.
    "There is no force, only Akagi."

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

The last two episodes for me have been so fantastic. Between Gina Carano and Amy Sedaris, I'm just in love. With Gina, I got to see a badass woman with my body type, not some magically strong waif of a woman. And with Amy, I felt like I was pretty much watching myself at work, trying to rig something up without the proper tools (which happens a LOT).

Watching Mando interact with the Sandpeople was awesome, because the simple act of using sign language and trading for passage gave them quite a bit more dimension, imo. No longer are they just some one trick pony that raids homes and kills folks, and I'd actually like to see more of them in the future.

There are some very specific western motifs being used in this series, and as an extreme western nerd, they keep me fully engaged in the worldbuilding.