Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Casting the Net

TheHolo.Net Poster Shana Ghemenaux's Avatar
    AKA
    Natacha
    Shana was pleasantly surprised with how Maize could be funny and borderline-but-not-really flirty, in between being serious about business. Most of the time men - and even women at times - had to take everything too far; but the Corellian appeared on the same wavelength as she was, which made for a pleasant trip.

She offered him a mock-serious stare when he jested about getting him drunk.

"Mr. Wayne, I am a woman of principle. I promise I would buy you flowers before I intoxicate you for inappropriate purposes."

She burst in laughter as she went back to his speeder.

"Thank you. I am looking forward to seeing the factory!"

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Cameron
    Maize stopped and laughed. Hard.

Shaking his head as he climbed into the 'speeder, he quipped, "Good. So when the man-eating plant is delivered, I'll know it's not from you and not one of my enemies then!"

He laughed again, one of the first really hard, genuine laughs he'd had in some time. Wiping his eyes, the Corellian suppressed one more ripple of laughter and proceeded to get them back into traffic and on their way to the factory.

"So," he asked conversationally, "how affiliated are you with Imperial affairs, can I ask? Is the corp. a direct extension of the Empire?"

AKA
    Natacha
    Shana couldn't help laughing as well when her retort cracked Maize up. Their goofy and snarky senses of humors appeared to be solid matches. She cackled at what he said about the man-eating plant delivery.

"You'll know it's the one from me if you see it muzzled!"

It was quite likely that she'd have to pull turn that joke into a reality for the sake of it. It was too good not to make happen.

She eased back into business when the Corellian inquired about her business.

"My companis remain private corporations; but I do have an active role on Sillesk as administrator and talent acquisitions for Admiral Bismarck."

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Cameron
    "Have your cake and eat it too, I see," Maize remarked with a grin.

Thus far, Maize hadn't paid too much attention to who was in power within the Empire - especially in the military branches - since he paid other people to be lobbyists and keep track of such interests. So, at the mention of this Admiral Bismarck she reported to, the Corellian only looked perplexed.

"What? I thought it--? He? She? Sunk," he asked, stumbling when he didn't even know said Bismarck's gender (and truly thought it was the name of a ship). "I guess I've got that one mixed up."

AKA
    Natacha
    "Buying public companies that are collapsing and making them thrive as your own, providing new jobs for imperial citizens is a good way to keep companies private," Shana remarked earnestly.

She was a loyal imperial citizen, but she still appreciated having a modicum of overseeing powers over her businesses. The Ghemenaux name was a known one in the Sillesk system.

Maize's next quip made her roll her eyes but the grin on her face made it clear she was amused rather than offended.

"Well the Admiral's father definitely sunk into oblivion years ago; so you might just be mixing generations, Maize."

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Cameron
    At that, Maize looked away from the road - they'd just passed the security gates into the factory complex - and arched an eyebrow at Shana.

"You did not just suggest I'm old, did you?" he asked.

Maize smirked. Age was all perspective, and he was kidding anyway.

"Anyway, here we are," Maize said as he pulled into a reserved parking spot. "Time for the guided tour with the brains of the operations."

AKA
    Natacha
    Shana chuckled at Maize's question and gave him a look even though he was still driving.

"If I had to say you were old, Maize, I would tell you. I have said bolder and more annoying truths in people's faces in the past."

Oh how some of them hated the fact she spoke her mind, especially as a woman. But her hard work had always paid off and she maintained good relations with the bureaucracy, so pompous idiots and assorted obnoxious brats could do little against her.

"You are just fine, and I look forward to you terrifying everyone if need or want arises," she added with a grin as she left the speeder in the parking lot.

She was very curious to see the factory.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Cameron
    Maize chuckled and led Shana to the security checkpoint into the building. Despite being who he was, he subjected himself to the security screening as well to ensure that protocols were followed.

"You're lucky," he teased. "They only do the invasive scan every other day."

The guard stopped short, holding the scanner wand in front of Shana, looking back at Maize questioningly. The CEO rolled his eyes and gestured for the being to continue his work. Maybe it's good that humor is not his best skill, he thought. That, or I'm a lousy comedian.

AKA
    Natacha
    "It must be my lucky day. I avoided bland salads for lunch and I don't get probed in uncomfortable ways," Shana retorted with a sarcastic grin.

Their banter apparently left the guard unfazed, which was a good thing with his job. At least she was able to banter with Maize while doing business. Both could go hand in hand together, and it didn't prevent her from being a cold and difficult-to-deal-with professional when need be. Tragedies had a way to make some people enjoy the little joys in life more, and she was one of them.

Once she had been checked, she followed the Corellian inside, and she was taking in everything. While her priority was whatever tech she was permitted to see and the whole industrial aspect of it, she always kept an eye out for office and factory organizations. She was keen on bringing new ideas to the table and improve what was already going on back on Sillesk.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Cameron
    Maize introduced Shana to Gormak and Grell, the two senior officials at this particular factory. Gormak specialized in miniaturization technology and Grell was oversaw the business operations, under Maize's watchful eye. With their boss' nod of assent, they were more than happy to field whatever particular questions Shana had about their.

As they toured around, Maize was mostly quiet and lost in his own head, thinking about this potential deal and what the contract might shape up to be like. That was good because it kept him rooted in the moment, a place where he had trouble staying, given the matters of his absentee wife's whereabouts. He quirked a brow in Grell's direction at something he only half-heard the Corellian say, then went back to thinking about how many credits they could make, and what the implementation might look like...

AKA
    Natacha
    Shana appreciated how Gormak and Grell explained things not only clearly but concisely, and they seemed eager to answer her questions, although it likely had to do with their CEO tagging along. She wasn't going to complain as she was able to get a good picture of what the company could offer and how effective they were.

Her mind was already running with various options for contract ideas, which would be mutually beneficial for the Corellian company and for imperial development back on Sillesk. She was fairly excited about it, even though she kept it quite muted as enthusiasm was one thing; but practically bouncing up the walls with giddy business ideas was a whole other beast, and she tried to stay professional.

She was so engrossed in the discussion with the senior officials that she didn't realize that Maize had gone quiet, until the conversation was about over after a solid hour of touring what she could see of the building and its operations. She grinned at her host after thanking Gormak and Grell.

"Between our conversation earlier today and this tour, I have enough materials to draft up two contract options, which we can discuss while I am still on Corellia. I believe we have solid potential for a good deal. One thing we didn't discuss though is how long some of your employees who would have to teach Sillesk personnel about the proprietary tech, would be able to stay off-world. I want to make sure I take that into account besides the equipment aspect."

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Cameron
    Maize smirked and replied, "They'll stay as long as I tell them to."

He wasn't really that ruthless with his employees, but it didn't hurt to have that image. In reality, WayneTech employees were that devoted to doing their work and doing it well. After all, he paid them well.

"So then. May I return you back to your hotel, and we can hike the mountains like we discussed?" he offered.

AKA
    Natacha
    Shana nodded to Maize's observation about his employees. She had witnessed a lot of dedication among those she had encountered today; and the whole operation seemed to be running fairly smoothly, which was something she was highly seeking to ensure further Sillesk developments would go as planned, and even beyond that.

"This sounds like a plan, Maize. That will give me time to review everything and be in contact with my people on Sillesk. And our hike will allow me to test some of this new tech you mentioned."

She grinned to the Corellian, so far quite pleased with how this business trip had unfolded.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Cameron
    Some time later...

After taking time to thoroughly review details Shana had shared about the potential business deal and dispersing those details to his research, legal, and galactic affairs teams to vette out, Maize finally returned to his private penthouse atop WayneTech Tower. For a change, he did not obsess at the holoprojector. Instead, the Corellian stared out at the night sky. Polluted clouds obscured a clear view of the stars, but that didn't matter so much to Maize. He knew where to look, even if he couldn't see.

With a sigh, he turned away and strode back into the penthouse. He passed hours in the gym, practicing with his vibroblade staff, fighting imaginary opponents. Then, the lonely tycoon retired for the night, dreaming of the stars...

AKA
    Natacha
    Shana went straight to work once she made it to the hotel where she was staying while on Corellia. She reviewed the notes she had taken during the past hours and added more. She hummed to herself and poured herself a glass of wine that she had ordered along with some room service to nibble one while putting together drafts for potential contracts. She foresaw formidable opportunities for WayneTech and the Empire, especially with the project of Model Society the Admiral had for Sillesk.

She submitted the proposed documents in due time, and took the rest of the evening to review some reports that came straight from Sillesk, for she was often juggling multiple projects given her position. She also made sure to send a message to her sister-in-law, making sure that Elarys remembered to take breaks. While Shana was a workaholic, she knew when to cut herself some slack, which was why she had happily agreed to go hike in the mountains with Maize the following day.

++++

She was ready in front of the hotel, waiting for her transport as Maize had said he had arranged for something, the next morning. She had a giant cup of caf in one hand, and a backpack over her shoulders. She wasn't sure what he had in mind so being somewhat prepared was good. A far cry from her business fashionable from their previous meeting, she was wearing pragmatic and weather resistant clothing, in various shades of blue with black pants and boots. Her unruly mane was somewhat plaited. She would definitely look more in her place during the hike that in the middle of a busy upscale Coronet City street.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Cameron
    Backpack tossed in the backseat, a cap on his head, Maize cruised to Shana's hotel with one hand on the controls, the other cradling his tall mug of stimcaf. He looked at-ease for a change... at least for now. He spotted Shana waiting in front of the hotel and smirked, making a hard stop in front of her, startling the taxi he'd queued up behind.

"Good morning!" he boomed out the open window at her. "Your chariot awaits!"

AKA
    Natacha
    Shana burst in laughter at Maize's hard stop before her.

"You know how to make an entrance!"

Grinning, she hopped in after placing her backpack in the backseat. Taking a sip of her caf, she was amused that the Corellian apparently had the same idea - or addiction depending how one looked at it.

"Alright, there's no way this speeder isn't customized given how it roars!"

She wasn't the greatest about vehicles, but her father had loved racing speeders and that was how she had first developed her love of engineering as a kid.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Cameron
    "Well, of course," Maize replied to both of Shana's comments.

He smirked, then gave an approving nod to her choice of apparel for the hike. Either she'd gone shopping or she always traveled for any possible activity on a world she traveled to. Maize supposed if he tried to invite her to a black tie affair, she'd whip an evening gown out of her backpack just as spontaneously. The thought made him laugh.

"Glad you're ready to go," he said without explaining what made him laugh. "I have the comm devices in a case in the trunk, so you can try them out when we get there."

AKA
    Natacha
    "Industry secrets about how this speeder was customized, mmmh?"

She couldn't help teasing Maize besides being genuinely curious about what special changes had been made to the vehicle.

Taking a sip from her caf, she grinned afterwards at the Corellian's remark. She wasn't sure what had made him laugh but whatever. It was way better than being met with frowns after frowns!

"Getting to try new tech is one of the best perks of my job. Brings me back to my engineering days and when I get to spend time with the Ghemenaux prototypes."

She chuckled. "And a good hike doesn't hurt either."

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Cameron
    "Oh yeah?" Maize asked, in reference to her apparent engineering past. "What kind of prototypes did you work with?"

The Corellian understood a lot about engineering because he was interested in understanding what his company produced, but "the big picture" was his actual talent, and why he was CEO.

Maize gunned the engine and roared into traffic, quickly showing off one of the neat, experimental innovations that WayneTech had created. The top was down on the 'speeder and while they could feel and smell the air around them, the noise that was typical with a convertible 'speeder was gone. It was as quiet as if they were seated in a soundproof room.

He glanced at her, waiting to see Shana notice this phenomenon, certain that she'd notice quickly!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast