Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Casting the Net

TheHolo.Net Poster Shana Ghemenaux's Avatar
    AKA
    Natacha
    Shana grinned at Maize's question about her engineering past. "I mostly work with shielding devices and assorted mechanisms, first for starships during my early internships and then for mining equipment when my late husband and I developed our company."

She chuckled, looking outside the window. "I was good at it; but the business part of things, the logistics, team and resources management, that's what I was best at. I still get a kick out of tinkering with some stuff and understanding what I can; but sometimes it feels as if it was in a different lifetime."

Musing to herself, she noticed when the top was down on the speeder as they sped through traffic. The air was neater than she had expected as they still were in the thick of traffic. That was the first thing that surprised her, followed a few moments later by the realization of the soundproof atmosphere.

"Hang on.... What the heck is that? Speaking of shielding goodness, that's new!"

She stared at the Corellian. "Alright, how do you do that?"

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Cameron
    Late husband.

Of everything Shana had just said, that was what caught in his brain. He flinched inwardly, having a bad feeling about that. But, he didn't want to dwell on that feeling because it would make him think... and he was really weary of doing that. Maize did his best to concentrate instead.

"Good to know what you're best at and enjoy," he mused.

As Shana finally noticed the experimental bubbling effect, Maize grinned. Then, he feigned innocence and looked around.

"What's what?"

AKA
    Natacha
    Shana laughed quite loudly at Maize's antics. "Your fancy bubble effect, of course!"

With her free hand, she gestured around them. "It looks as if we're driving with the top down, it smells like fresh air, but the sound is still minimal compared to the roaring of traffic we should be experiencing!"

She grinned, waiting for the explanation. "There must be some tech making this possible! Or are you claiming it's just magic?!"

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Cameron
    "Why yes, it is magic, and also... may the Force be with you!" Maize said, barking with laughter.

The Corellian abruptly changed lanes and gunned the engine, zooming past the slower moving traffic as they finally hit the straightaway lanes out of the city. And of course, the convertible speeder was strangely quiet.

"You do know it's a proprietary, trade secret, and if I told you about this bit of magic, I'd either have to kill you or marry you with an agreement to keep your silence," he teased.

AKA
    Natacha
    Shana liked how Maize was both serious when it came to business but could also be hilarious. It wasn't as common as she would like it to be in her work. She laughed and shook her head.

"Well, something tells me that as often magic has to do with actual science and technology, at least in this specific case!"

She kept thinking about the possible options but was coming up empty handed and it was driving her crazy, although she loved a good challenge. She stared at the Corellian's next words, and cackled.

"Alright, I happen to dislike the murder option. As for the marriage one, well it wasn't on the agenda when I landed in Coronet City; but if our lawyers drum up a solid prenup, I might be able to know about this proprietary magic."

She had said the last part deadpan, before a mischievous grin lit her face up.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Cameron
    Your wife might have a problem with that, Maize's mind chirped.

Sourly, he responded to that inner voice: What wife?

To Shana, he mustered up as much of a smile as he could manage, then focused on the road ahead as they put the city behind them. As fast as he was driving the 'speeder, they'd reach the hills that opened up to the mountain ranges in no time.

"The tech does work pretty well," Maize finally remarked. "Still some tweaks to be made. I'm hearing a low whistle of air behind me, but not bad for the speed we're going."

AKA
    Natacha
    Shana was a little surprised at Maize's weird reaction when she returned the banter; but she kept it to herself. At least, she appreciated he was focused on the road given the high speed they were going at, much to her liking.

She nodded when he spoke again. "I agree the low whistle comes from the back section behind the driver's seat. I was wondering if it was at the juncture with the trunk or the backseats; but it feels almost at upper window level if the roof was still on."

She grinned and took the last sip from her caf.

"But yes, still impressive, and the whistle has been almost the same since you did that trick. There has been very little increase despite the higher speed."

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Cameron
    Maize smirked, imagining the whistle coming from a place where there was currently no hood or window. The idea of that made him chuckle wryly at Shana's sense of humor.

"It's some nice tech," he agreed.

At the speed he was piloting the 'speeder, they reached the foothills in no time. He guided them to his own property to afford them privacy in their hike; it was the land that his parents had owned and once held their considerable home. Maize had burnt it to the ground and had its remains removed, though, so the property only appeared to be open land now. Security sensors kept the acreage secure and private from scavengers and squatters, though the wildlife was free to call the land home.

"Here we are," Maize said as he touched a button on the 'speeder's console, ensuring the security measures recognized and allowed for their arrival. "Good hiking grounds and, depending on how high we go, a nice view of the region."

AKA
    Natacha
    To say that Shana was freaking curious about what new tech Maize and his teams were working on with that customized speeder was an understatement. Yet she knew better than to prod further. It would also keep her thinking for a while and she always liked having problems to solve. Sometimes it helped her beat insomnia.

As they made it to the foothills, she adjusted the straps of her backpack over her shoulders and looked around, excited about the hike. That was something she tried to do as much as possible when going off-world.

"It looks great already. I love my work on Sillesk but the natural beauty rather lacks, and I grew up with mountains and forests."

Grinning, she nodded towards the hill. "I hear water in the distance. Is there a river?"

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Cameron
    Maize nodded his understanding. He'd traveled to many places in his life, but none were like rural Corellia to him.

"There is. Depending on how far we go, a waterfall and pool as well that feeds into said river," he confirmed.

Maize jerked his head in the general direction that they'd need to go in in order to see all of that natural splendor. He popped the back hatch on the 'speeder and produced the experimental comm devices he was going to let Shana play with on their hike. Some were recording devices. Another was a prototype comlink; even he was curious to how the range would be, this far out. Maize tucked a couple other gadgets into his own pack, then checked the cap on his water bottle.

"Do you swim?" he asked.

AKA
    Natacha
    "This reminds me of one of my aunts' properties back on Commenor."

She had loved spending vacations there when younger. She had been meaning to go back for a while but she had been waiting for Elarys to have some free time, which was rare with how hard-working her sister-in-law was. She understood though, having been in early stages of her career around the same age.

"Lead the way! I'll do my best to behave and follow instead of just taking every twist and turn on the path," she added with a grin.

She nodded at his question regarding swimming.

"I do! Most of the time it's in indoor pools but I grew up not too far from the ocean. Do you?"

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Cameron
    "Well, really, you should lead the way, so you can test out the gear," Maize said with a chuckle. "See if the navigation features work to your liking."

He gestured toward the obvious trail leading away from where he'd parked with one hand, then slipped his shades down over his dark blue eyes. Maize hooked his thumbs into his belt and regarded Shana.

"Yes, I do swim. I'm not as much of a fan of indoor pools, though they'll do." Looking in general toward where the natural pool was in the hills, he said, "I used to like to come out here and swim."

AKA
    Natacha
    Shana beamed at Maize's reply. "I like this plan! I guess you'll just have to hand it to me then!"

She held her hand out and waited for it, before heading towards the trail. She wasn't planning to use the device to orientate herself right away but she still powered it up and began to inspect the user interface. She was curious to try it out and was already taking a few mental notes.

As they started hiking up the trail, she listened to Maize's comment about pools and outdoor swimming.

"This is great. Nothing beat swimming in the wilderness so to speak. Indoors pools are about the one option on Sillesk so it's better than nothing. I debated moving again a few years back but I loved the work opportunities, so I stuck around."

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Cameron
    Maize smiled at her enthusiasm for the gadget as they set off.

"I don't think I've ever been to Sillesk," he remarked. "Or at least, not that I recall off hand. What's it like?"

As they walked, he brushed his hand over a fragrant herb bush that was growing on either side of them. The air around them then was filled with its sharp, but not unpleasant odor. Of course, it was also an herb he preferred some meals be cooked with, and his stomach rumbled from the olfactory memory. He chuckled to himself, feeling half-Wookiee for that reaction.

AKA
    Natacha
    She took her time on the trail, enjoying the scenery and taking the whole thing in. The weather was perfect and very breathable.

"Sillesk is a weird system. Lots of asteroid and the main planet had lots of mining resources as well, and everything was built from scratch to be this beacon of imperial culture and success. I moved there after university after getting married. I stuck around for business reasons at first. It has really been blossoming over the last ten years, including with landscaping."

She began humming some tune when Maize's stomach growled loud enough for her to notice. She couldn't stop giggling.

"Well maybe we should have packed more food."

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Cameron
    Maize chuckled. "Sorry. I smell seasonings."

He circled back to Shana talking about life on Sillesk, though, as that was more interesting than his appetite.

"It sounds nice. I like the idea of somewhere being a beacon of culture and success. Whether it's Imperial or not--" Maize paused to shrug. "--Well, I don't get into the politics. Whatever makes me money is fine, right?"

AKA
    Natacha
    When Maize teased about smelling seasonings, Shana actually paused and sniffed - maybe a little too loudly. "Mountain red thyme? If you tell me they also grow wild droochmaries in this area, you won't be the only one whose stomach growls."

The brunette smiled at the Corellian's words about what she had described about Sillesk and his own approach. She may be an imperial loyalist, she also believed in finding new and promising opportunities.

"Lucrative projects are important and I believe in looking wherever there may be potential. Several true and tried contractors landed on my desk but I had heard about your company and I thought that you were the better option."

She raised a brow and grinned. "So far, I think my hunch was correct."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234