Thread: New Beginnings

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Natacha

Closed Roleplay [WoD] New Beginnings

The summer had been too long for Vahika's taste. Even with cooler nights and regular breeze, she longed for the fall season. The warm colors and the crisp weather would be welcome. She had never experienced it in Chicago, so that would be a first. Her favorite season would hopefully make the transition to a new place and a challenging assignment easier.

At the thought of easier, she stared at her reflection in the mirror and scoffed at it.

"Since when do you do easy?"

Her reflection stared back and right on cue her beloved cat Tedinka jumped on the bathroom counter, pawing at the Fae's mascara.

"Tedi," she growled at her obnoxious tortie who only gave her the most feline smirk.

She picked the wandering makeup product and returned it to one of the decorative containers she had brought along with her. While most of her condo was still pretty much full of unopened boxes, she had set up her work station already, and her bathroom. Even her wardrobe still mostly lived in open suitcases. It had only been a few days since she had arrived from Virginia. Tedinka had actually taken the long drive pretty well. After all, the cat had gone through several moves and lives with the Watcher, so she knew the drill, and she knew her mistress would never abandon her.

It was still early morning and she had several hours before scouting for her new protegee. It had been a few years since the Fae hadn't been on the field for a long-term assignment with another immortal. She had trained a lot of new Watchers back on the East Coast, with a few travels to Europe. After so many centuries on Earth, she had found herself alternating a few decades in the field and on the research side of the Watchers' work. It had worked well, even though part of her still thought she had lost her marbles for volunteering for her new assignment.

Walking to the kitchen, she made herself some tea, before feeding Tedinka. The cat had already fallen in love with the view outside the windows. It didn't take her long after eating to go curl up on her favorite blanket and watch the birds and squirrels.

Vahika always thought that having a cat was the perfect pet for a Watcher. They both did the same in some way, except birds and squirrels caught on being watched more easily than immortals, she thought. She knew that her new assignment was aware of her previous Watcher and that it might cause issues, or have Vahika reveal herself earlier than planned. The Order always hated that; but at the same time it had proven somewhat practical on several occasions. She had worked in the research unit with Maria for a while, especially after Hawkins had poofed from the face of the Earth for several years.

Maria had put Vahika's name at the top of her recommendations for the Immortal's new Watcher. Vahika had volunteered without hesitation. Fae Watchers from House Liam who had her longevity, hadn't been surprised, but most humans had stared at her in shock.

Taking a seat on her couch, which currently lacked enough cushions, she took a careful sip from her black tea before setting it aside. Opening her laptop, and grabbing her notebook and pens, she wanted to go through Hawkins' files again before starting direction observation.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

*holds up sword* Okay, so let me see if I got this right. The pointy end goes in the other person, right?
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Dani
    Hello there my reader friend. Been a long time, right? I'm sorry about that. I'm not sure where you last left off with my story but here's a little summary. Well, more of a long recap if I'm honest.

I'm Michele Hawkins. I used to be a normal Midwestern Girl going to Northwestern University on a sweet scholarship ride because of my musical talent. I'm a really gifted pianist, dabbling a bit with other instruments, but piano is my passion. Mrs. Ceffaclio was my music teacher at school and was my guiding light, encouraging me with my studies and knew just what to do to push me without hovering. I was kicking ass and rising to the top of my class. Honors were for sure.

Then one day, some odd blonde was in the back of class waiting for my teacher and ended up staying to hear me perform. She annoyed the shit outta me at first but her quirky personality hooked me over time. Back then, I would've called it fate that our paths crossed. I know better now.

Fiona Devlin, the quirky blonde, and Maria Ceffaclio were in on the whole fucking thing. What fucking thing you ask? Both knowing I was pre-Immortal. Yeah, Immortal. Can't die just like you're thinking but one way for sure. I'll get to that in a second, but here's some things that are important to know about this Immortal business. Maria was what you call a Watcher - literally that's what she does. Watches Immortals and takes notes to be kept on the Game's progress. Now the Game is the blood sport between Immortals where we duel with swords to the death, it ending when one of us looses our heads. It's the only way to kill one of us and at that very moment, all of the power the dead Immortal has is claimed by the victor's in a crazy ass electrical display. There are rare cases when an Immortal dies like that an there's not another one of us close by to take that energy. They energy just dissipates into the ground, lost.

So if I happened to win in your neck of the woods and the power went out? Yeah, sorry about that. Totally my fault, but rest assured that me winning was a good thing. You don't want power crazy assholes winning and causing suffering for all you human folk. Bad enough you've got power hungry mages, vampires and tainted werefolk doing that for centuries.

But I digress. Fiona, the one I keep talking about, was an Immortal too. And we fell in love. It happened before I knew I was an Immortal and it wasn't something Fiona was expecting to happen. She just wanted to make sure I was taken care of. Keep a close eye on me. I was a bit of a pet project since she and Brigid, another Immortal friend of hers that she trained, saved my life when I was kid. My mother was not so lucky, dying under the blood red moon by a vampire ... But that's what I mean about it not being actually fate that our paths crossed. Fiona already knew of me and if I wasn't born the way I was, we never would have met. Perhaps I wouldn't have had this emptiness still inside me when I think about her and be blissfully ignorant that I would feel the greatest love and loss with one person.

One day Fiona disappeared on me and to this day I have no fucking idea if she's alive or dead. It tore me up at first as I scrambled to figure out what happened. Maria had no idea and neither did the Watchers. No Immortal came forward claiming that they took her head, and with how old Fiona was, someone would have. That girl had made as many enemies as friends in all her years alive. Which was well over a thousand, for real. So was it business? Fiona would have told me that she had to leave and after calling all of her antiquities contacts, nada. So what was it? What was so fucking important that she abandoned her fiancee?

It's been about a decade later after I stopped searching for her ... I still got nothing. And you know what? It is what it is. I've accepted that I'll probably meet her in the life that awaits me if I fuck up and lose my head.

I dropped off the grid during that time, making sure the Watchers couldn't find me for the most part and decided to do what Fiona always wanted to do with me. Travel. I went to Ireland to see where she trained - passing through Belfast and disappeared into the Connemara. The place was majestic and quiet ... tranquil. Just what I needed to get my shit together inside my broken heart. I did go to Cumbria in Britain for old times sake, wanting to see the land that birthed my love. Then it was the long European tour of Milan, Vienna, Leipzig, Berlin, Prague ... god it was incredible to be where music flourished! I got to see it for myself, experience the ageless history of the countries I visited with every step under my feet.

It was all I did. Soak up history, music, and oh my god the food was fucking fantastic! I've never tasted so many different flavors unless I was force fed, no I wasn't really, just highly encouraged, by Fiona. And of course the occasional head had to roll. Unfortunately we Immortals can sense one another and there were times a fight was unavoidable. I kept up with my katas and practice like Fiona showed me. It's how I've accepted life without her because she really isn't gone. How I fight is thanks to her and it is due to her diligent training, that I've lived this long and gained in strength. I know she'd be proud of me that I pulled my ass out of depression and didn't take the easy way out by another Immortals blade. That I embraced the second chance of life I've gotten - whether it's another day or century that was gifted to me.

And now I'm home. Back in sweet home Chicago. I've decided to replant my roots now that I'm done mourning. When Fiona and I stayed in Europe, I found out she had a fund that ensured the antiquity store was maintained. Now of course that wasn't feasible with what my plans were so I had all of the antiquities and our stuff from the condo put into storage. Monthly rent was paid through the trust that Fiona had set up, and holy shit, I had no idea there was that much in it! I had sole rights to it as her heir so it was simple in that sense to take care of our belongings. Not so simple saying goodbye to it.

But all of our furniture is back, as well as my things, in a new condo that I bought in Evanston near my alma mater. Everything that is Fiona remains in storage until I know what to do with it. Maybe I'll never do anything with it. Who knows. What I do know is I went nostalgic for someone as young as me and went back to everything that used to be familiar when I was human. I'm not sure where my old Watcher teacher went, but I was basically hired on the spot as the new piano instructor at the Northwestern Bienen School of music, to take Maria's place.

Lucky me there was an opening, right? Yeah, I know it wasn't fate. Wanna take bets the Watchers are happy I'm back in action and decided to do me a solid in getting me this job? There was a caveat that I had to work on my PhD while teaching since I only got my Master's. Oh! I forgot to say when I was in Helsinki I got my Master's at the Sibelius Academy. Unfortunately that made me a blip on the Watcher's radar for awhile but it was so worth it. Was a bitch to learn Finnish at first, but I eventually got the hang of it.

So now you're caught up because right now I'm decorating my new office since school starts next month! I'm teaching the undergrads musical performance/theory, basic stuff for now, and the rest of my time is taking classwork.

This should be fun ... Yeah, fuck it. I'm gonna be honest. I'm already stressed out thinking about all the shit I gotta do. No. Really. I'M FREAKING OUT! I rather be fighting some dickwad Immortal then creating lesson plans.
    Last edited by Michele Hawkins; Aug 17th, 2019 at 01:30:33 PM.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Natacha
    Vahika wasn't a woman who liked idleness. That went against everything she was. It was why she always needed a solid activity when working in the field. While some Immortals were fairly rabid about traveling and going after new foes, most remained set on establishing a life somewhere. That meant that as their Watchers, they had to build a life that gave them time to keep tabs on their assignment, but also one that was fulfilling for the Watcher themselves.

She had been debating her options, and when the opportunity had arisen for her to also be hired by Northwestern University, just as the organization had not necessarily so discreetly had arranged for Hawkins, she had eventually accepted it. She bet that the musician Immortal had figured out that the Watchers were behind it. Of course, she was a fantastic candidate for the position, but the timing was just too practical. At the same time, Hawkins had certainly known that with her brilliant antics in Helsinki, she'd return on the Watchers' radar.

The good thing about Northwestern was that it was big enough a university for new hires to get lost in the midst of the dozens of instructors. Also, of two positions she could apply to, Vahika had actually fought her way to obtain the one that called to her soul: an assistant professorship in the Slavic Language and Literature department, as part of the Weinberg College of Arts and Science. She had never forsaken her deep love for Eastern Europe, the memories still vivid up to this day, even after several life cycles.

While she had to help with one First Year Russian section, she was set to teach Visual Arts in the Context of Russian Culture, and Studies in Old Russian Literature. It would help her make the transition to a new place after having enjoyed life between the DC and Richmond areas in the past decades. It definitely was a good thing that she had maintained some teaching gigs every summer semesters and sometimes some last minute replacement at various universities.

Of course, she would be impeccable in her assignment with Hawkins; but having more to do with her life than handling the hot head was something important to her. As much as she liked creating a new home, her career was important. She loved putting to good use previous experience, and teaching had become embedded in her DNA, especially after so many centuries spent training various Watchers. And she knew she was damn good at it.

Classes were going to start the following week, and she needed to get her office ready. That meant she had brought several boxes full of books. She wished that some university would allow her to have her cat, who always did so well with a harness and a leash if need be - despite all the nasty side eye Vahika earned in the process - but drawing too much attention to her would be stupid.

She would have to come back to her office to finish preparing it, but for now the blonde Fae had to head to an information meeting for new hires for all humanities and arts. She foresaw it would be a lot of self-patting on the shoulder; but she was always happy to be positively surprised. Besides some networking, she was mostly looking forward to it because Hawkins would be present.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

*holds up sword* Okay, so let me see if I got this right. The pointy end goes in the other person, right?
    AKA
    Dani
    Time for bureaucracy! All new staff have to go for an orientation welcome thing, just like the new students. Rather curious how it looks like on this side and compare as I sign myself in. I write my name on a sticker and smooth it along the lapel of my jacket by the check in table outside the McCormick Auditorium, deciding for the black suit, white blouse look - my attempt at being professional. It was a great attempt if I do say so myself. The university was my home away from home and it treated me well. So... I'm wanting to make a good first impression as faculty. Its the least I can do despite all the Watchery strings being pulled in getting me the job.

Makes me wonder where the hell Maria was. If she were still, ya know, watching me, she would've contacted me in some way. She was like a mom to me and it sucked I hadn't heard from her. Her old number wasn't working so I have to accept the worse case scenario is reassignment. I couldn't expect her to officially wait around since I was gone years at a time, and she certainly knew I was around when I was in Helsinki. She didn't pop in to say hello so then, or now ... makes me wonder who is actually around keeping an eye on me.

I walk in with other new staff as a flood of memories come. I'm filing in with other Freshman all over again, all wide eyed, scared as fuck, and wrote down every shred of information that would make my first year successful. Instead of a notebook full of nervous notes, I've got a fancy clicker pen with the Northwestern logo on it and a few sheets of orientation material to doodle and take notes with. I'm not quite as nervous this go around.

I feel more than prepared walking down the aisle and looking for a place to sit. It was your typical auditorium ... sloping down so everyone could have a good look at the front stage regardless what row you sat. The stage was raised about a foot and a half off the ground, and the burgundy curtains were pulled back with a podium stage right with someone from IT making sure the mic was feeding into the speaker system. So far, no feedback.

There were a few small groups of teachers mingling, some that I didn't recognize. The ones I did gave small waves of acknowledgements that appeared happy I was back and after looking around for a seat, I went for an end one on the far right, middle row, liking the distance. It didn't look too eager being so close, but I also wasn't so far away to be completely anti-social. I gently pull back my sleeve to check the time on my wristwatch and five minutes to go ...

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Natacha
    Vahika had chatted with Maria just earlier that day. She knew it was difficult for the other Watcher not to be in charge of Hawkins; but she was genuinely happy - and relieved - the Fae blonde had agreed to take on that challenging case. Vahika was grateful for Maria's information besides solely reading the immortal's file over and over again. As much as she understood the need for chronicles and research, the field was still a different beast and provided unique insight.

She arrived when most people had already taken seats, because one of the advisers had decided to chat with her on the way. Vahika caught sight of Hawkins at once. Not only was she used to find her target; but Hawkins was easily recognizable.

And the damn Immortal was even more stunning in the flesh.

Vahika excused herself and walked to take a seat two rows behind Hawkins, when somebody suddenly made a ruckus that she had to take that seat.

"Then you could have arrived earlier," Vahika retorted.

The middle aged brunette almost shrieked and said that she was the assistant dean's wife or whatever.

With a groan, Vahika stepped back right when the presenter began his speech.

Great, just fucking great.

Not hesitating any further, she walked up to where Hawkins was sitting, politely apologized and took a seat two away from the Immortal, so they both retained their space.

The woman behind them was complaining about Vahika to her neighbor who was one of the old time music teachers the Fae knew had been among Hawkins' instructors back in the day.

That wasn't how she had pictured it; but really she had better things to do than pick a fight with an obnoxious bitch married to a higher-up. For now.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Dani
    I know that shrill voice anywhere. That was Mrs. Mia Bryne, wife to Mr. Steven Bryne, the Associate Dean of Students. She was that brown nosing wife that was at all the faculty and staff functions, trying to act more important than the actual person who has the, ya know, real clout at university. I knew she had further aspirations then office admin work and yay (sarcasm here) she's a fucking teacher now.

Frantically I flip the agenda over and look for her name and breathe a sigh of relief that she is not affiliated with the music school. The woman didn't have an ounce of musical talent so it was a long shot. Just with her ability to pull strings I had to be sure. I relax back into my seat and turn the paper over, ready for note taking and doodling. I could care less about the posturing going on behind me.

Then the woman who presumably was the thorn in Bryne's existence had showed up and apologized for disturbing me. Apparently I had the closest free seats. Ah well. I shift my legs to let her pass and definitely take note of the newbie. The glasses made her cute and I really liked the way her bangs weren't quite behaving. And I'd have to admit, the one sided tiff making her cheeks flush with anger was kinda hot.

Oh and trust me. It was anger. Her glaring eyes told the story as much as thinly pressed lips holding back a lot of choice words. I wish I could help because that woman was an obnoxious bitch.

As the provost began the welcome speech, I doodled an arrow and underneath in block letters lightly shaded I wrote 'Bitch Right?' Next to that was a rather proud stick figure being smacked over the head with a chair.

I tapped my pen gently to get her attention. Once I had it, I showed her the note with a quirked brow and lips pursed together absolutely mischievously, curling the paper so she only saw it.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Natacha
    Hopefully this bitch doesn't work close to my department or I'll end her when I shouldn't make waves, at least not too many. Why is it always the pests that held powers they didn't earn who were the most pathetically obnoxious?! It is infuriating. There is only so much I can do, especially during a welcome briefing; but she isn't going to bark too long. That, I swear to myself.

Vahika was fuming. She could work as part of a team, as she had shown it for all her life, whether in the Fae world or on Earth; but there were limits to her patience with incompetent brats.

She took a deep breath and retrieved her notebook and pen from her purse, still thinking she'd rather whack it into the bitch's head. At least she had made a very strong impression on the husband who held the real power, so that should help. Sadly, she knew all too well how such idiots could be: they tended to whine enough to turn the spouse as a doormat, blinding them with fake admiration whose only goal was to be queen of the chicken yard.

The blonde Fae crossed her legs and her hand tightened around the pen, ready to scribble notes. At this point, it wasn't just about being casual with Hawkins; but she was just bloody pissed.

Of course, out of habit, she still had some of her attention on Hawkins, out of habit. And she was good at discretely taking in the surroundings anyway.

So she noticed when the brunette unexpectedly tapped her pen. She glanced in Hawkins' direction and sees the doodle, which brings a devious grin on her lips.

Wlady, can you explain how you made contact with your target even before the beginning of the semester?

Well, sir, it was that or I sent a bitch to the ER.

Vahika is fairly sure that Maria would find it hilarious and a good sign though. And it wasn't as if the Watchers weren't used to her sometimes unorthodox methods. Hell, they kind of had to put up with them because of all the work she had put in for centuries.

The blonde scribbled into her own notebook into block letters "I'm in," which she discreetly turned to the Immortal with a smirk. She guessed that's how human teenagers might feel when bored in the classroom.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Dani
    So far, liking this one and the perfect response. Oh if only I could beat the shit outta Bryne with a chair like main event material. Alas.

With an approving nod, I doodle some more as the next speaker was going over the university's philosophy and values - nothing new here. I'm a graduate after all. I keep my ears perked up when the next part of the agenda comes up with understanding available tools for the teachers - emails, posting grades, troubleshooting. I kinda have to learn that but at least I know the system as a prior student.

I sag into my seat in the most unladylike position with legs spread and my shoes tucked under the seat in front of me. This is me bored. Doodling a laptop screen around my fabulous stick figure, praying that no one wants to walk past me before the break. And let me tell you, we will ALL need a break after the HR segment or risk the entire room sleeping.

Now I want more coffee and start drawing a mug, shading in the blessed liquid brew with little wisps of steam coming off of it. Then I realize I'm hungry since I barely ate anything this morning, too nervous to really eat more than a handful of grapes and a lot of coffee. Hence me thinking about and drawing coffee. I peek my head up and take a quick glance around the room and see there is a nice spread of food and drink laid out on a table against the wall closest to me. I saw some water, coffee and fruit ... and some other stuff but couldn't make it out due to heads being in my way.

Sweet. I won't starve. Because I'm not entirely sure if they're providing lunch for us or not. I'm going to have to look at that but I brought cash for the cafeteria worse case. I honestly didn't read much of the welcome letter... haha...

I flip my artistic endeavors over and look at the outline and YES! Food is provided in the hall next door. Wonder what they got catered cuz there's lots of options since Chicago has sweet choices for food.

"And we'll reconvene in twenty minutes. Thank you." Said some HR person and I look confused. Because was I really doodling and lost in my thoughts for an hour?

So I nonchalantly tuck all of my 'notes' under the crisp scribble free outline, set my pen down and head up to the snack table, mingling with a few others that were heading that way and dodging other new faculty that had to go in the opposite direction to go take a piss probably.
    Last edited by Miranda Tarkin; Sep 24th, 2019 at 12:02:34 PM.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Natacha
    Vahika easily kept Hawkins at the periphery of her sight while giving a modicum of attention to the presentations. She had already worked on and off in recent years at a few universities, and she had already familiarized herself with how her new workplace worked in terms of educational tools. Besides the meeting being mandatory, she had mostly showed up as the Immortal's Watcher, and to get a better idea of the crowd of skilled and annoying colleagues she was going to interact over the next year or likely more.

She found herself amused by the very unlady like attitude of the brunette. To say the Immortal was bored would be the understatement of the century. She couldn't help grinning just a little.

The blonde spent most of the rest of the presentation scribbling notes about how to arrange her new apartments, some to-do lists, a few things to organize, which would make no sense to most people for she had put most of them on paper in her mother dialect; but that did to her. She had grown used to scribble things that would mean nothing to the greater public, but would make sense to her. Writing in her birth language, at least the adapted version to human alphabets, helped her stay focused but not on edge.

Her stomach suddenly growled and she shrugged it off. Hopefully the food would be decent. And she needed tea, black. She might even put some sugar in it for once. The moment they were allowed to take a twenty minutes break, she felt so relieved.

She caught sight of Hawkins's confused, but her expression remained neutral. She watched the brunette scamper off, one of the few against the flow, much like her. She didn't care about using the bathroom for now. She would probably be making a rush for it at the next break, but not this time.

She was about to pour herself some tea, when someone cut in front of her. Lo and behold, it was the bitch from earlier on.

Vahika was done being trampled over.

"Stand in line like everyone else," she said icily.

Mia Byrne glared at her, in shock.

"Mind your place, I am..."

Vahika raised a hand, finished to pour herself a cup of tea, the pest too astonished to have been interrupted.

"Your marital position does not excuse your lack of manners."

She reached out for a sweetener and poured it, still standing in front of the shrieker who was doing her pissed and obnoxious number again.

"I would also appreciate if you don't render me deaf before the semester has already started, thank you."

"Who do you think you are? You are nothing..."

Vahika took a step forward, aware that a few bystanders were witnessing this.

"I am Vahika Wlady, Assistant Professor in the Slavic Language and Literature department. If you are in need to see more detailed credentials, I am sure your husband would oblige."

Ignoring the pest for now, she walked away, only making a quick stop to grab a cookie.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Dani
    As I'm minding my own business making myself a cup of coffee and loving the creamer choices. Thank you hazelnut! But needless to say, I couldn't enjoy a sip because there was a wee but of a commotion beside me. Pretty new hire was putting Mia Bryne in her place and it was fucking AWESOME!

I've never ever seen or heard Mia Bryne run out of choice words to throw at someone. I finally had that chance to take my desperately needed sip of coffee and witnessed history. Mia's mouth just flapped open like a fish trying to gasp for air outta water while Wlady grabbed her victory snack. It was marvelous! Course Mia will try to make her life miserable now, though I'm not really sure how. I've got zero idea how faculty politics work besides seeing Mia puff out her chest and flaunt being married to a fancy smancy admin during some functions.

Main thing is Wlady made a fool outta Mia so... something would come down the pipe for sure. Just not with anyone that saw what happened because everyone was smirking and loving it with amused looks. Professors had no time for her bullshit which was good.

So with the self proclaimed faculty queen standing there short circuiting, I decided to follow our heroine and once I caught up to her, I leaned over in a whisper.

"Tento slovný útok bol lepší ako plán, ktorý som nakreslil.."

I picked up the language during my hiding from being an Immortal sabbatical. Basically saying that what she did there was way better than the stick figure head bashing with a chair that I drew. Also was curious how good the new assistant prof was with the Slovak.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Natacha
    Vahika had always had a tendency to take the hard path; and her altercation with Mia Byrne was yet another testimony to it. She had no regret though, because she had no interest in being a doormat. And she was well aware that her qualifications and expertise would make her a solid addition to the Slavic Studies department, and that no whining or empty threats would change that. After all, a Fae did not live life after life, including putting up with Fae machinations as well as human ineptitude, without growing a thick skin and learning to stand one's ground.

Also, the look of total loss on that bitch's face made the blonde feel a significant measure of satisfaction, and the grin on her face didn't conceal it as she left the immediate area.

What wasn't her surprise when she heard Slovak whispered in her ear. She turned her head and looked at Hawkins. That was a surprise, and that was one she didn't know what to make of. After all, she hadn't expected them to sit close by and be human teenager making fun of Mia Byrne, nor that latest development. Also, there had been no note of the brunette being fluent in that language, making it all the more obvious that Vahika had her work cut out for her.

"Nie je to vzájomne sa vylučujúce, viete,"
    she replied with a mischievous smile.

While the humans in the Watchers' Order were all set on how they should be fully separated and hidden in plain sight from the Immortals, her people had disagreed. They understood that secrecy was a strong way to preserve one's self, but they also had greater survival resources than humans if they became targets from other immortals.

Vahika had got in trouble centuries ago when revealing her identity to an immortal she had followed until their passing. Yet she knew that it had made Abasaron's life easier, and she had gleaned more from that partnership than if she had been a simple and treacherous observer. After all, Hawkins had known who Maria was, and maybe it was why the other Watcher had wanted the Fae to take the case.

She was off a better start with Hawkins than she would have ever expected; but given how the immortal was, she bet all hell would break loose if she lied to her face for the brunette to eventually figure out. Really, she bet that Hawkins knew she must be watched again.

"Maria ma poslala," she boldly admitted in a whisper.

Hawkins wouldn't see her Watcher's tattoo even if she suddenly grabbed at her wrist, for it was concealed by glamour, so Vahika could only reveal it when she chose to, another skill she had that human Watchers didn't have.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Dani
    I chuckled loud enough that Mia probably heard and if she did, fuck her. This was fun. And giving me some nostalgia. It was nice speaking tongues with a person here in the states. Reminded me of the home I used to have before being teleported to fucking Europe with Fiona. Learning and being all worldly while remaining mostly safe here in Chicago. Then I got all worldly for awhile and I'm right back where I started - just older and still none the wiser. I just happened to know more stuff and hope I'm doing the right thing for my Immortal ass by coming home.

"Nájdem najťažšie kreslo na akademickej pôde, aby som mu rozbil hlavu. Dúfajme, že jej dá aj ďalšie spôsoby."

Totally meant every word about finding the hardest chair to smack some sense into Mia's head. She could use several mental adjustments.

Now I'm not always the best judge of what's on people's minds but the new prof was brooding. And brooding more deeply than was needed for someone of Mia's lack of caliber. It's fun taking shots at her but really Vahika was looking too serious for this now. Sadly it had nothing to do with her but everything to do with me.

I blanched. I mean, I knew the Watchers knew I was back and had someone following me around taking notes, and I really hoped it was Maria. Also of note, I was totally right that the Watchers got me the job. Fuckers!

Shit! I'm torn. I hate their secretive bullshit but this one just right off the bat told me she worked with Maria. Cuz why the fuck else would you say she sent her?

I can feel the anger boiling inside me before it was overridden with fear. Did something happen to Maria while I was gone? Was she dead? I had to know.

I look up at the clock and see we've got ten minutes and counting so I look back at her and speak softly, "Follow me ..." and make it clear she has no choice with my no fucking nonsense tone.

We head to the exit and of course there's the wave of professors coming back from the pee break, but I push my way through in a hurry until we're out and across the hall in a smaller group room. Once Vahika was in, I lock the door and set my watch to go off 2 minutes before the next panel was starting cuz no way was I gonna show up late to that. Especially with Mia being on an asshole roll right now.

"We don't got alotta time so here we go ..." I look up and stare straight at her ready to pounce of I don't get my answers. "Where the fuck's Maria?"

Okay that was really my only question but they kept spilling outa me.

"Is she okay? Please tell me she's not dead. And if she's fine and not dead, why the fuck send you?!"

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Natacha
    While Vahika had hoped to eventually find someone to speak in other human languages now that she was in Chicago, she hadn't expected this person to be Hawkins. Hell, she hadn't expected any of how things had been going down since she had stepped into that damn auditorium for the meeting.

Sure thing she had heard and read reports about how the Immortal was a handful; but the Fae had been told that about herself often enough. Playing by rules whose use she failed to see and get proper and clever explanations about the reasoning behind them, had always annoyed her. She was willing to change her mind if given valid and sensible reasons to; but when not, she was unlikely to play by the rules, much to the Watchers's ire at times. Yet they couldn't do away with her; and it displeases a few of them, though at least humans eventually died and new generations of Watchers rose.

She couldn't help laughing at the Immortal's continuous remarks about what they could do to that Mia pest. Oh she would for sure entertain herself with such thoughts for the upcoming semester.

"Možno by na jej mozog stačilo celé hľadisko. Určite to stojí za vyskúšanie."

She doubted that even all chairs from the auditorium would suffice to deal with Mia; but she liked the idea of trying.

Hawkins's reaction was to be expected after Vahika had blurted out what she was supposed to keep secret, per Watchers' protocol. Her eyes glanced at the clock too, and she followed the Immortal without hesitation or argument. What they would say was better kept private.

She navigated the crowd they were going against with ease, and was glad that Hawkins had a good knowledge of the campus already, as she was still learning it. Time was of the essence at the moment.

She didn't hesitate when the brunette asked her. She let her finish, then spoke up.

"Maria is safe and in D.C. She's at the East Coast HQ. They refused to reassign her to you. Many didn't want me either; but Maria handpicked me and I have enough seniority for them to shut up."

She paused unsure of exactly how to formulate the next bit.

"Maria and I have worked together for decades."

She had already let enough cats out of the bag, so she could as well be honest with Hawkins.

"They can't live without us but there's been growing distrust for our kind."

She pursed her lips, a fire in her eyes. She wouldn't speak the words in a public setting, for she was still protective of her fellow Fae.

Instead she pulled her sleeve up, showing a naked wrist where a tattoo should have been. She released the glamour for a moment for Hawkins to see it, then it vanished from the naked eye again. The air was crinkling with whispers of inhuman power. Whatever Hawkins would make of it, she would know for sure that her new Watcher, or her old one for that matter, was no human.