Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The T'nuah Boxes: A Xanatos and Teagan Mystery

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Tak fanG
    ...my daddy smells like wine

Has been a member for 5 years or longer

Open Thread The T'nuah Boxes: A Xanatos and Teagan Mystery

The old library was a strangely comforting place to be. It wasn't like anywhere else in Sanctuary, in that it was old, had history, had books, and most importantly, it had life. It was so unique and separate from the rest of everything, and there was an energy that seemed to just permeate all around.

Of course, none of that really mattered when you were trying to study for an exam. No, the only thing that mattered was a desperate need to cram one's brain full of every single thing that might be on the test. No matter how big or how small, each nugget of information was furiously scrawled on a datapad, and a stylus was always pressed to flimsiplast.

There was a table, with a single, solitary girl. She was considered by some to be strange and 'off'. She was sometimes excluded from normal activities. But that never bothered her. She liked to be on her own, with the few friends that she had. She was not the sort to crave acceptance from everyone - just the ones that she felt mattered. Which was why she was here, now. She could've been in a cafeteria, with others, eating and laughing and not really caring. She could be out in the woods running about, with no real place to be. She could be loitering at the cafe that'd sprung up on the outskirts near the landing pad. She could be a lot of places, but she wasn't.

She was here, at the library.

Studying.

Except, she'd come across a strange book in her searches, and it had taken her interest.

Something about someone named Alex Khine. Apparently this Alex Khine investigated mysteries? Murders? She wasn't exactly sure, but there was a determination to find out.

Her studies had been put on an unexpected hold, and Teagan s'Ilancy found herself pulled into the book, her nose practically inside of it as she turned each page.
    Last edited by Teagan s'Ilancy; Jun 22nd, 2019 at 01:43:18 PM.

Xanatos stood outside the library, admiring it's large doors and intricate woodwork along the frame of the building before walking in. He'd been allowed to borrow a large amount of materials from here during his confinement and it felt nice to finally be able to walk into the location himself. Libraries were a wonderful place, peaceful and full of knowledge and seekers of knowledge. They were also excellent because they were free. As his first instinct upon being given his freedom had been to get a Tarkin sandwich he'd gotten as far along as the back of the line before realizing he actually didn't have any money that would likely be legal tender in this part of the galaxy, and even less so as he doubted the Empire had wasted any time in seizing his assets after his betrayal.

The cafeteria of course would provide him with at least a basic meal as long as he was he to learn, but if he couldn't satisfy a craving for another of those fantastic sandwiches he could at least satisfy his craving to finally walk into the library. Entering he was greeted by one of the Order, likely assigned to help run the library as part of a rotation, much like had been the case in those who kept watch over his cell on the Whaladon. He smiled at them as best the blue-haired former Imperial could as they considered the man in front of them.

"So... do I need a library card? And if so, can I go ahead and sign up for one." He asked with a bit of a chuckle.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Tak fanG

The young man at the front desk looked at the blue-haired man, giving him a strange expression. Not really contempt, as that wasn't the Jedi way, but more a look of puzzlement.

"We're all here to learn, Sir. The knowledge in the library is... free... ?"

Young Jakori, still what some would consider a padawan, made sure to at least smile somewhat.

"We encourage all to take what they can, and learn from those that came before."

Still smiling, Jakori finally lifted a hand to gesture further back. "We have many books, and if you find something that takes your interest, all we ask is that you tell us before taking it."

Xanatos raised a hand in a gentle My bad motion, following the motion of his hand around the spacious library. "Sorry, I'm still getting used to how things work here." He nodded and excused himself, leaving Jakori to return to whatever Xanatos had interrupted him from. There were a few others already busy taking advantage of the library, a few Knights standing near the back having a quiet conversation and someone sitting at a table by themselves with their nose deep in... that cover. He knew that cover.

Xanatos walked toward the table, trying to make out which one of the Alex Khine novels it was. He'd read Case of the Singing Sarlacc while in solitary, and had been on a waiting list for the others which always seemed to be checked out or otherwise unavailable. The cover of the second book in the series Alex Khine and the Coruscant Caper came into view.

The person reading it was definitely invested in it, and he felt a twinge of jealousy at what must be a great story. "I don't suppose there are any more copies of that around?" He asked sheepishly. He hated pulling someone out of their reading.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Tak fanG

Not exactly expecting the voice that cut into her consciousness like a razor-sharp knife, Tegan reared back in her seat. Her book, still held in a tighte grip with both hands, was pushed out somewhat as she felt her back meet the chair.

"Oh! Well, I don't... "

Eyes tracking to the side and up, she passed her gaze over the.. blue-haired...

She gasped, then opened her mouth as if to say something. Nothing came out, and she clamped her jaw shut.

A second later she found her voice.

"You!"

His eyes widened in surprise as a face came into view from behind the cover that he hadn't expected.

"You!"

He grinned in genuinely delight at his young Jedi friend. "Teagan!" He said with just as much surprise as she had expressed at seeing him. He grabbed the chair across from her at the table and sat, continuing to beam at the unexpected reunion. He pointed at the cover, "So have you read the Case of the Singing Sarlacc yet? ... Which reminds me I should have someone collect that from the Whaladon for me."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Tak fanG

Seeing him out of his cell, and pulling up a chair across from her was about the last thing she'd expected to see today. And then he went and started talking about the book she was reading, and apparently it was just one in a whole series?! What even was this?! The sort of day that crazy things happened during?!

Blinking, the young Lupine finally closed her jaw as she slowly lowered the book.

"I... "

Another moment of stunned silence, and she finally leaned back heavily in her seat.

"... this is the first one I've read," she started, "I've never heard of it until now."

The book was closed, and she gave a fleeting look to the small stack of books beside her before her eyes went back to Xanatos. Xan? Nat? Toes? She idly wondered if he had a nickname.

"I'm honestly supposed to be studying... "

"Oh I don't want to keep you from your studies!" He said abruptly, apologetically. Then reconsidered as she had been nose down in Alex Khine when they'd ran into each other again.

"Needed a break, I'm guessing?" He nodded his head in the direction of the novel. "I've read... two of them so far. Case of the Singing Sarlacc and The Holocron Heist. I've been wanting to read that one, but it always seems to be checked out." He considered for another moment before motioning at the stack of books.

"So anything interesting in there?"

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Tak fanG

Blowing out a long breath from one side of her mouth, she gave an almost helpless shrug while reaching over to pull the top book off the pile.

"Nothing too interesting, I guess."

She opened the old tome, and the pages crinkled as she idly thumbed them.

"I have to learn about Master Thon for some sort of report, since he used to live here on Ossus, but he used to train a girl named Nomi, and Nomi had a girl named Vima, and honestly, Vima is more interesting to learn about."

She flipped the pages of the old book, to a spot closer toward the end, then slid it toward Xanatos.

Her finger pointed to a passage.

"See there? Vima was trained by a man named Ulic, who had once been a Jedi, but he was cut off from the Force by Vima's mother Nomi."

He leaned over it reading over several passages under his breath. It was quite dry, and he could see where it wouldn't be quick to hold someone's attention. He'd read an awful lot of material just like it while he was looking to understand the Force after arriving on Ossus. His face wrinkled a bit in interest and confusion at the wording though.

"Cut off from?"

He repeated the phrase back to her, "I've seen a few references to that before, though I didn't really understand it. Does it say why Nomi would have done that to Ulic?"

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Tak fanG

"I haven't gotten that far yet."

She blew out a breath, pursing her lips as she thought over all of the stuff she'd read over so far. Admittedly it wasn't much.

"Or well, that far back, at least."

Pulling the book back, she idly thumbed further along in the book as she thought.

"I've heard a few of the padawans around here," she started slowly, "... they say that my mom did the same thing. To my... real dad."

It wasn't as painful a thing to talk about, and remembering her real father wasn't as heartwrenching as it'd been in the past. When she'd first come here, she avoided anything and everything to do with Dan, only choosing to remember him in private where she wouldn't have to worry about crying at the memory of him. Of who he used to be.

"Ulic probably did something really bad, if Nomi did it to him."

Pulling another book from the pile, she set it atop the first and opened it up.

"This here though, has some interesting stuff in it. There are passages about boxes that held old Jedi and Sith boxes."

She flipped through the pages.

"Not holocrons, but something else. Old wooden boxes that have trinkets and other things that used to belonged to the Jedi or the Sith, and then they're sealed with a bunch of dried wax. People apparently think they hold the spirits of those Force users."

Perhaps this wasn't the conversation to have so soon after reconnecting with his young friend. There was something personal there, even if she seemed comfortable enough to bring it up. The dialogue quickly shifted over to another book, and to Sith and Jedi boxes.

Now THAT sounded interesting, he titled his head a bit surprised at the notion of well, what would it be, captive spirits? It reminded him of some of the more unique stories and history of his own world, soaked in legend. Of things that you could find on the green hills and the rock formations if you looked hard enough, or walked where you weren't meant to. Of the 7-legged Dravik horse that would follow from the corner of your vision, beckoning you to take the last ride of your life. He had always had a fondness for stories like that, and hearing that the Jedi had similar tales piqued his interest.

"What are they called?" He leaned in quietly, as if this were secret and forbidden knowledge.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Tak fanG

"T'nuah Boxes," she answered immediately.

There was no way she could forget such a name, especially for something as strange and mysterious as these.

"I've been reading as much as I can about them, but it's really not much. There are a few mentions in this book," her hand gestured to the book she was flipping through, on a mission to find one of the passages she'd stumbled on.

"Oh! Here!"

Her motions stopped, and she carefully lifted the book up so that she could slide it to him. Her finger pointed to a paragraph.

"There."

'And I happened upon a box, worn and old, the wood scored by old runes and markings as though they'd been carved by fingernails. Of course, that was what I guessed. Some of the scratchings were obscured by the deep purple wax drippings that sealed the lid closed. It was as though someone had set an old Jassapai Prayer candle on top, then let it melt down until it had dripped over the lid seam, shutting the box away from everyone. I picked up the box once, and could hear a dread rattling of objects from within, but I could not tell you what they were. I was too apprehensive to actually open the box, as I did not know if the contents belonged to a Jedi or a Sith. For if I opened it, and the objects belonged to a Sith, then I would invite destruction to not only myself, but my entire family.

And so I left it as it was, sealed and untouched. I kept the thing, make no mistake. For such a find is rare, but for as long as I breath I will never open it.'

He read the passage, lips moving in time with his eyes as he become more and more intrigued with the concept, of the notion - a deep-rooted desire for knowledge and understanding flaring back to life inside of him. He remembered his time in the Whaladon, of researching the ways of the Jedi so intently he had transformed most of his cell into a place of learning and study for a great length of time. This was another great mystery to uncover, a truth to find and chronicle and work out.

As he read, finally, that the writer of this tome had decided not to open it, not to uncover what it held he felt a bit of sorrow burn within. A question struck him, suddenly and without warning then. "What would Alex Khine do?" Well, besides enjoy a roast nuna sandwich and a cup of herbal tea - he would insist on finding the truth, even if he had to stumble his way to an answer. Xanatos' eyes looked up at Teagan and a smile widened over his face.

"I wonder if we can find out anything more about these boxes? It feels a bit like an adventure, doesn't it? Searching out hidden knowledge." He rubbed his chin with the base of his thumb before looking back at the library itself. "But I really shouldn't pull you from your studies..." he rumbled, knowing that he shouldn't distract the Padawan from what she was doing. She had a test to prepare for.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Tak fanG

"Well... "

Immediately her attentions went to the next book on her pile, and Teagan pulled it toward her, opening it in the same motion before starting through the pages. It wasn't as big as the others, and seemed to be more of a journal than anything else.

"This one isn't as old as the others, but it's still old. Just not... old old."

Her eyes scanned the contents, searching page after page for something that she had read earlier.

Finally.

"Here."

She flipped it around, setting it atop the book he currently held, finger again pointing to a passage.

'I found a box, in the old ruins of a hut that was in the foothills of the Essokus Mountains.'

"Those are the mountains about east of here," she clarified, "... I looked them up."

'It looked old, and the wood was almost as though stone, but there were markings on it. I don't know. It's like someone scratched those marks on there, with their fingernails. They looked like old runes, I guess. Either way I'm not sure I should open it. It's sealed with wax, and when I shake it, I can tell there are things in it.'

He steadied himself. He had just gotten free of the Whaladon and was he really about to rush off to explore ruins and potentially dangerous haunted boxes? He rather wanted to, just to see what was there even if they did nothing else. "That's... that's exciting." He said letting the breath slip from him as his mind raced. He shook the thought off and made a more calming motion with his hands, more for his own benefit than for Teagan's.

"We should consider something like that carefully though. We definitely shouldn't do anything rash like rush off." Absolutely, definitely. He steadied his leg as he considered it, though - stilling it's thumping as adrenaline tried to push him on despite his brain insisting it was a bad decision. "And we definitely shouldn't go alone." Wait, had he already lost the battle with himself over even going? "We should see if we can find out more information about those mountains, if... and that's a big hypothetical if, we were to go looking."

Oh by the divines. How would that look 'Yes, sorry Master Vymes. I know I've only been out a day or so... but it seems I lost your daughter.' Forget the cell on board the Whaladon. They'd bury him under the ship entirely. Here lay Xanatos Etanial. Idiot. inscribed on the outer hull with an arrow pointing down.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Tak fanG

She blinked, staring at him in a strange and mild shock. She'd not even considered going off and trying to find a box, and here was Xanatos, already voicing interest in doing just that.

"Well, I hadn't really... "

Really what... thought about it?

Well, she was thinking about it now! And it was enticing enough to cause her to breath in deeply. She pulled in the scents of the old library; the mustiness, the crinkly papers, the bindings, the sheer age of the place had an olfactory tinge to it that was wholly unique. And then, the scent of Xanatos. He smelled clean and crisp and there was something else to him that she couldn't entirely place.

"... thought about going out to try and find the one in that journal."

She bit her lip, continuing to mull the idea over. It wasn't all that bad, and she wouldn't mind a small trip out as it was. A break in her studies would be nice; let her clear her thoughts.

"It might not even still be there though," she mused, but she was already committed to the idea so any resistance to it was symbolic at best. She pulled the journal back toward her, skipping ahead by a few pages.

"Here we go."

She angled the book so that they could both read it.

'I remember the hut being in the foothills, but I can only find it by following a certain set of guides. I tried stomping out without looking for the markings, but couldn't find it and so I had to go back and watch for the landmarks.'

"There's no map in here that I've found, and whoever wrote it didn't describe the landmarks... " her eyes tracked to the pile, "... but I did find another of these journals. It might be in there, I just haven't had a chance to look yet."

Xanatos' curiosity was at war with that voice inside of him reminding him 'You have a history of terrible decisions. A long, storied history.' At the same time it was in the pursuit of knowledge and learning. That was what he was here for, wasn't it? To learn more and grow. Teagan seemed just as excited about the prospect as he did, as well. He bobbed his head almost imperceptibly back and forth as he weighed it out.

"Well... it couldn't hurt anything to at least see what that other journal says, right?" He was starting to feel like a bad influence.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Tak fanG

She nodded absently, already pulling another few books from her pile.

"I think you're right," she started, "... I mean, it could all be... khe'seh'a... cautious worry? Cautious belief?"

She paused as her mind tried to think of the right word, and idly flipping through the old pages, the young Lupine did her best to remember her Basic. Her brow furrowed as she lifted her head to look at him, intense though clouding her eyes.

"Ohga'raub... super, superstitching? Superstitches?"

"Superstition." He said off the cuff, nodding at her in response. "Yeah, it could be. But.. still." Even if it was just old myth or legend it was exciting, it felt like being a part of a story of something larger and older than either of them. Xanatos had grown up, locked away inside the near palatial family estate reading exciting stories of adventure and mystery. He'd daydreamed about being out there one day, of seeing it all.

This new mystery in front of them, these T'nuah boxes? It felt like a step on that path. It felt natural and exciting. He leaned a bit trying to get an angle on seeing the pages as she flipped through them.

"And even if it were..." he thought, considering the stories he knew from Mithos, "There's always some kernel of truth to myth. Something it originates from."

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast