Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Familiars

Hybrid View

Thread Semi-Open Familiars

Jaminere

She stood over the sink in the small kitchen area, scrubbing at her hands with a sponge. Sometimes the red pigment of jolla root just didn't come out. It was as tenacious as a bloodstain. Thankfully there was no blood to contend with, and frankly, this mission had not included the need for her to get her hands dirty in anyway.

'Protect the girl'.

That was all that she'd been told.

And well, after a long enough time, protecting 'the girl' had become something more. She felt close to this woman who seemed so fresh to the galaxy. So pure. Maybe it reminded her of herself? Before she'd followed her brother?

That was a thought for another time.

Pursing her lips and giving a shake of her head, Senni Cyer reached out to turn the faucet off.

"You think this is a good idea? Going out and trying to find her?"

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    Member of the Arbitrary Apostrophe Club

Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    Jaminere was only to be a layover for the young woman in white. Industrial mechanisms and political maneuvers to gain control of highly sought exports and location by trade routes. Off of it was stifling for Saricia but what made her want to thrive here were the people. They were beautiful souls stuck between the bonds they have together as a whole and the ones that managed the factories and oil rigs. She was surrounded by technology and the threads of life sensed was weaved by beings making ends meet. Untouched life was felt in the distance, kilometers away, trying to shine brightly through smog and metal and civil unrest. The Tion Cluster was always on the cusp of civil war but for now, things were tempered with appeasements with the People's Union and sector authorities.

It was the most unlikeliest of places for her to be, but Saricia felt that she belonged here for now. People she conversed with got used to the cheerful woman that made ends meet with repairing and making clothing for the locals. She was able to afford a small studio close to the roofs for quick walkway access. Sometimes she doubled as a babysitter to help struggling families earn precious overtime. It was quite the sight Saricia hemming a dress when a little one was running around the flat flapping unused fabric like a magic carpet or using it as a cape.

For now she traversed the walkways with a basket lightly swinging off her arm. She was out of blue threading and need to replenish it to finish her latest order. Neime, a young mother, was giving all her money to keep her children fed and clothed, barely taking care of herself. Saricia considered it an honor to repair her clothing and needed the proper tools.

She climbed down the fire escape towards the streets, noticing they were a little slippery from the earlier rain.

"Hallo, Miss Sarica!" Kael shouted from his window across the way.

He was five and couldn't quite pronounce her name right.

"Hello there! Where's your mom?"

"Makin' lunch. Wan' sum?"

"Oh thank you! But I need to run errands. I'll see you tomorrow night when I watch you and your sister."

"Yay! Can ya make dos fun hats 'gain? Da pirate ones?"

"Even better," she said, watching her steps with each rung. "I still have them!"

"Dat's gweat! I see you morrow, Miss Sarica!"

She chuckled hearing Kael calling for his mother excitedly, the conversation drowned out with the distance as she reached the street. She made a face as a speeder sped by, the exhaust making her cough, hopelessly waving the pungent fumes away. She was still fighting the tickle in the back of her throat as she crossed the street ...

Moving to an empty table in one of the sidewalk cafes, Senni watched the woman. Watched Saricia Ask'lan. The other was a kind soul, from everything she'd seen so far. Always concerned for those younger, and always trying to help look after them.

One hand around her disposable cup of caf, Senni reached out to give a gentle tug at Saricia's sleeve before she could step away.

"Excuse me, Miss?"

Senni smiled easily, the expression an easy one to adopt. She usually remembered those old days at home when she wanted to project an unassuming air.

"Do you know where the local physician is, around here?"

SW-Fans.Net Poster

It was not that often that Saricia was taken by surprise, but the unexpected tug on her sleeve did. Out of reflex she sniffed the unfamiliar being, the strong scent of caf hitting her as she moved her arm away. Eyes widening, they asked the unspoken question that was soon answered.

Immediately her eyes turned kind with concern. "There's one not too far from here."

Sarcia took in the sight of her, looking for any obvious signs of injury. "Are you all right?"

She still smiled.

"Mostly, yeah."

A shrug, and she took another sip from her caf.

"Just a headache, is all."

Saricia looked so innocent. So kind-hearted and pure.

"I have a friend though, who's a bit worse off than me."

Another sip, and she looked at Saricia from over the rim of her cup.

"She's got a problem... well, had a problem."

Senni licked her lips as she lowered the cup.

"Had a couple of kids when she apparently wasn't supposed to have any."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Saricia looked perplexed. "Wasn't supposed to have any?"

That was so vague and could mean many things.

"Is she and the kids all right? Do they need medical attention?"

She was missing something and she wanted to help, but Saricia wasn't sure what that help was going to be.
    Last edited by Miranda Tarkin; Oct 14th, 2019 at 11:27:17 AM.

Pursing her lips, Senni thought about how to frame her next set of words.

"Well she would say 'no', but that's only because she can be a real... vornskr about doctors."

She watched for any amount of memory recall in the other woman.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

All concern fell from her face. The fury that shone in her eyes was brief but palpable. It was the only sign of Saricia's scorn of being betrayed and that her compassionate nature was being used against her.

"I want nothing to do with her. Or you," she said politely but there was a bite to her words. "You're wasting your time here... so just forget you ever saw me."

"Hard to do that, Ma'am."

Now they could speak plainly. Or at least, moreso than before.

"My boss would bust me back down a few rank pegs, and well... I'd rather that not happen."

Senni at least afforded the other woman an understanding nod, though.

"I got enough of the rundown of things, so I s'pose I don't blame you for not wanting to go back. But, I was told that the Captain isn't really demanding that. She made sure to stress that she's asking. Wants to beg your forgiveness in person, is my guess."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

The military hierarchy still baffled the young lupine. Saricia had done nothing illegal, thus the Alliance had no jurisdiction on Jaminere or with her. Sending this woman to speak with her was a waste of resources when there were far more important galactic issues she could be assisting with.

She was caught up in this petty personal war and Saricia didn't want her to get in trouble because of refusing to talk with her, so Saricia listened instead of storming off.

"Oh?" she scoffed with a exasperated chuckle. "She's asking?"

She shook her head and took a step backwards, done with this conversation. "It's not my concern how guilty she's feeling. I'm not going back."

For a moment there was a look of concern that crossed her features. And after that, confusion. Saricia Ask'lan was a woman who suffered little, and Senni couldn't blame her for that.

"Captain s'Ilancy must've done something bad, then."

She took a sip of her caf, still sitting in her high-legged chair and hunched over the outdoor table-counter.

"She kill your father or something?"

SW-Fans.Net Poster

"Must've done something ... bad?" Saricia blinked, incredulous that s'Ilancy's prior actions were treated so blase.

She was admittedly ignorant of the consequences and current agreement that the Alliance imposed on the lupine captain, but the personal grievances that Saricia had with her was not openly known.

It was not killing her father. Sadly, her parents and grandmother had succumbed to genetic madness. Saricia managed to escape that fate so far.

"No. Nothing like that..." She blinked and steeled her gaze towards the other woman,"... but my reasons are my own for not wanting to go back."

"Fair enough."

She wasn't about to pry into the particulars. She knew well enough the broad strokes of Captain s'Ilancy's crimes, and while she'd never agreed with leniency that she'd been given, she also knew that there were more than likely other powers at play that kept the once-Jedi out of a life sentence. And while she'd not participated in the Battle of Ossus, she'd had friends who did. She'd heard the stories they told. Seen the holos, seen the reports. It was all a convoluted mess to her that she decided to put on her mental backburner. It was just... one of those things.

"I'll let you keep your reasons, but I still have my orders, Ma'am."

Sipping her caf, Senni couldn't blame the other woman for wanting to just forget her involvement with this bizarre spiderweb.

"In my line of work," she mused with a shrug, "... trust is a rare gem. Seems to me that the Captain is trying to make amends in the only way she knows how."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

"Then she should be here herself," she added quickly. "Though the results would be the same."

With a defiant upward tilt of her head, she spoke with finality. "Good day."

She had errands to run and lots of sewing to get through to make the children she took care of happy. That was her priority and what mattered -not the orders of some Alliance errand girl that had been sent by a guilt ridden woman that Saricia had once considered a mother.

As she turned, tears pricked her eyes and the young lupine blinked away the painful memories.
    Last edited by Saricia Ask'lan; Feb 20th, 2021 at 03:57:07 PM. Reason: bump

A Few Months Later...

Senni stood at a window, staring out at the milling crowds below. Their lives all seemed so normal.

Very much unlike her own, as well, very much unlike Saricia's.

It was early morning, and she had made the effort to steep some tea; Jaminere Spring Tundra was the 'flavor', and it had grown on her during her time here. A sound from behind pulled her from her thoughts, and she looked to Saricia.

"I made tea," she offered with a cautious smile.

It was still touch and go between the two, but it seemed that Ms. Ask'lan had begun to tolerate her.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

This tolerable situation was the result of many days of Saricia seeing Senni sitting outside of the same cafe while on morning errand runs. Neither woman said anything but they acknowledged one another with looks. The young lupine could have found another route but was awfully curious how long Senni could keep this up.

Saricia was the one to finally relent and confront the woman on how idiotic this was and go home, but orders were orders. She commended the loyalty to duty but she also disliked being the one to cause Senni grief because the woman was caught in the middle of her issues with s'Ilancy.

"Morning." She looked approvingly at the tea. The pleasant aroma of Spring Tundra washed over her as she showered.

She padded barefoot across the small kitchen and poured both of them a cup.

She'd deferred the first shower of the morning to Saricia, and as such her own hair was somewhat still a sleep-addled muss. In stark contrast, Saricia was the picture of calm, collected, morning loveliness.

Senni smiled at the greeting sent her way, and nodded with a smile.

"It's a nice one," she furthered as her head turned back to the window, eyes going once more to the bodies below. Each one had a story, a life, a reason for being where they were.

And so did the two women here, now. Unfortunately their reasons were at odds, but Senni had opted to fall back to a particular aspect of her orders that she'd decided to interpret how she saw fit.

She could still see the blonde Alliance captain sitting at her desk, her hands folded in her lap.

"Please, find her. Make sure that she is safe, and bring her back."

"I'll do what I can, Captain."

"I know you will."

It was a memory that stuck with her, but it was one of those stipulations that Senni had clung to.

Make sure that she is safe.

Saricia had - in no uncertain terms - made it abundantly clear that she wanted nothing to do with Captain s'Ilancy, and so Senni fell back on that one other aspect of her reason for being here.

Of course, after the first few initial days of cohabitating, she found that reason becoming something that was instinctual. Saricia was, despite her grudging invitation, a thoughtful host. There'd even been a few unguarded smiles that Senni had been able to catch, and it only made the Alliance agent all the more intrigued by this woman that a disgraced captain wanted to reconnect with so desperately.

"Weather is supposed to be sunny today," she further ventured.

"... Might be nice to go see those blooms going on at the Gehr-tassi Gardens... ?"

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Saricia gave a non-committal shrug while sipping her tea. It was a lovely day and the blooms Senni mentioned would only be around for a few weeks - be a shame to miss out due to pride.

She set the cup down, cradling it with both hands. "I do have errands near there ..."

Her voice trailed off, pushing a thick strand of wet hair away from her vision remembering the fabrics she ordered arrived. "Me'la's a few blocks from the gardens."

Over the weeks, Saricia educated the woman on the business that not only paid the bills, but it was also the lupine's passion in helping the community - providing alterations and clothing for reasonable prices. When Senni asked questions, Saricia eagerly broke into detailed explanations, inundating the Alliance soldier with information. Me'la being part of that - the lupine's top supplier of goods.

Taking a tentative first sip of her tea, Senni let her eyes close as she savored the taste.

Her lips peeled back in a slight smile as she finally turned from the window to afford Sar her full attentions.

"And maybe you'll be able to teach me that weird double-loop half-stitch that I can never get right," she chuckled.

It was strange to admit, but Senni felt weirdly content in this new role. She still slept light and with her blaster under her pillow, but it was nice to have this amount of room to breath somewhat easily. It wouldn't last, she knew that much. But it was still nice.

Her mug was set gently on the countertop as she moved to open the cooler unit.

"You hungry? We've still got leftover Ithorian from last night."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

The lupine's brows shot straight up in concern at the thought of teaching Senni to sew. She was good at taking in the knowledge but ...

"Not possible. You'd be all thumbs with a needle." Saricia narrowed her eyes. "You've warrior hands."

She noticed they were calloused and rough with the few encounters that Saricia allowed Senni to be in her personal space. It was expected in Senni's line of work.

On cue, Saricia's stomach growled as answer to breakfast. "I can warm it up while you shower."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast