Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Audacia Gaudio

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Its good to be Queenie

Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    Adraudia chuckled with the slightest hint of wickedness that ebbed through, as if she were in on some piece of knowledge that neither of her guests were privy to. Though truth be told, Alice probably had some inclination to the monarch's proclivities.

"And I appreciate that, Alice." Court would be court. There would be those that passionately agreed or disagreed with her decision after providing counsel on what is best for the kingdom, but there would be others constantly focused on her breeding. An heir for House Basillie was vital for planetary stability if something should happen to Adraudia. There was no clear line of succession and it would cause an uproar as to whom would take the throne. As far as anyone knew, she was the last of Freedon Nadd's line. The line would be broken and that truth crippled the court with fear.

Eventually she would have to address it, as she was not getting any older, but it wasn't today.

Or was it? Varyan was quite astute.

"Yes. But in my case it's a bit more grave in their eyes. I've no siblings, nor children, which means researching distant cousins if something were to happen to me... " She waved her hand with elegant annoyance, as if gently swatting away a fly. "I now the situation can feel just as pressing for noble lines when parents get to meddling."

She and Varyan shared a knowing smile before she regarded Alice.

"But ... back to matters of importance." She nodded to her new commander. "I concur. Though ... this is a prosperous and calm time for the kingdom. There are no threats that I'm aware of. My spy network is quiet too. Sealed documents would have to be discussed before the court. Despite my rule, it is customary to present you before you're allowed clearance."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Natacha
    Alice grinned slightly at the Queen's reaction. The monarch definitely intrigued her way more than expected. Of course, it might prove dangerous depending how things unfolded; but the Sith liked to be kept on her toes. It was how she grew stronger. It also amused her to a degree that the finer dark side ripples were lost on Varyan. She had had the intuition that he was sensitive; but it had never come up in a conversation, and she even doubted it was something he had ever realized. Granted, she could be proven wrong one day. It wasn't as if she hadn't kept secrets from her friend either.

As for the matter of marriage and lines, the agent was grateful that such considerations were secondary to her. Granted, she was expected to marry and continue the Di Scarra line at some point, for she was her parents' only child; but at the same time, they were minor Theselon house, so she didn't feel so bad if the line was to end with her. Generally speaking, she had had much more interesting things to do than getting married or having an heir. And she wasn't planning on having that change any time soon.

She gladly let the Queen and Varyan discuss the matter, and enjoyed the food until the conversation returned to her.

"Of course, Your Majesty. I simply prefer having a course of action already in mind. The unexpected always happens; but the better prepared, the more time and energy one has to handle the surprises in life."

That was true whether said surprises were dramatic or positive.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Natacha
    The Queen's line was such an ancient and powerful one that many paled in comparison, even in the Cluster. Varyan could understand why the court would be anxious over it ending with the current monarch; but at the same time, he believed that appointing a list of non relatives might be a solution. Granted, it would likely cause uproar and turmoil more, as well as rouse the level of intrigues within a court. It sometimes felt that they couldn't really win with courts.

"I hope that the court's anguish eventually settles,"
    he said with a nod.

He shrugged slightly at the mention of parents.

"Hopefully my people find that I do well enough by them, even without being married for the time being. I hope that by focusing on diplomacy and trade I nurture my planet's strength and build new alliances that benefit both sides."

He smiled and took a sip from his wine, wondering how the court would react to Alice being appointed new Commander of the Royal Guard. Would they take it well that an outsider occupied the position? He knew that Alice could be abrupt at times, although she had the greatest manners when she wanted to.
    Last edited by Varyan Starfallen; Jun 30th, 2019 at 09:36:39 PM.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Its good to be Queenie

She smiled thinly, approval reflected at Alice. "As you should. As my commander, it is your duty to anticipate such things. I'll confer with court to set the date to officially present you. I anticipate no dissent to your appointment, as we all are allies within the consortium. Though there may be concerns that you are not of Onderon, but it will be a passing issue. Court members have to debate everything, after all."

She took a moment to drink her wine, enjoying the vibrant fruity flavor that delighted her. Varyan's comments were entertaining and she shook her head as the goblet was set down. "It won't. But that is for me to deal with."

Varyan's shift in discussing his own tribulations with marriage made Adraudia feel less alone in her verbal war with court. "You have the right mindset, Archon. What good is securing an heir if we leave them with disorder? Of course there's always something that needs a ruler's decision, and one cannot foresee every divergence that could cause strife among the people."

Which was not entirely true given Adraudia's talents. But as her master had taught her, the ebbs and flows of the Force can bring insight to possibilities. With what you saw you had to make the best choice to secure the path you wish to walk.

"Though that argument only gets me so far seeing that the people are happy. Onderon's trade thrives with its allies. We are safe and secure. Just missing that little caveat, hm?"

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Natacha
    Alice valued that the Queen had a solid idea of what the role of commander entailed. While it seemed like a given, the Sith knew too well that higher ups didn't necessarily knew enough to make interaction go smoothly. This was another point in favor of the Onderon monarch.

"Too many people like to debate for the sake of it,"
    she observed curtly.

"While blind devotion can cause its own set of issues; debating for sheer pleasure has never ceased to baffle me."

Of course, she would present herself before the court and answer any question that came her way, especially since she wasn't from Onderon, as the Queen had pointed out. Yet she hoped for her sanity that the nobles wouldn't talk her ear off for endless hours.

She took the opportunity next to focus on her drinks and especially delicious food, while Varyan took the floor in a manner of speaking. The delicacies were outstanding; and while she knew such a banquet wasn't an everyday event, the idea of being located on a civilized planet in a permanent fashion appealed to her, and not only for the cuisine.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Natacha
    At the mention of ever-debating court members, Varyan could only agree, even though he kept that to himself, for the Queen was mostly speaking to Alice. He hoped for both nobles and his friend, that their exchanges would be on the short side, even though he knew that the brunette could be extremely patient. At least, she could do that in the way a voracious predator eyed its prey until it could finally tear it down.

He nodded to the Queen's words about his mindset. "And any hasted marriage for the sake of producing an heir can participate to unrest if not outright disorder. Yet the court and families can sometimes ignore that fact, too busy believing that the line is what matters above all else at any given time."

He used to think that love shall be more important than political entanglements; and while he had slightly revised his youthful views, he maintained his decision not to marry someone he hated or that only viewed him as a politically appropriate breeder.

"Theselon's views on gender also tend to cause issues in the Consortium anyway, giving me another reason to focus on keeping order and encouraging growth on the planet."

While men and women weren't fully equal as in other parts of the galaxy, things were more egalitarian on his home world, too much by many Hapans standards.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Its good to be Queenie

Alice's comment coaxed a hardened laugh from the queen - it was laced with bitterness stemming from years of unnecessary debates. "They would correct you and explain it's devil's advocacy, Alice. There is a time and place for it. Can offer new and unique perspectives. Just the circular nature ..." she paused to trace one in the air before gesturing her hand as if swatting away the idea, " ... of them are so ... trying."

She lowered her hand to enjoy the food on her plate. "Mhm. My people are happy. The unrest that is discussed is the nature of the court. I will concede Onderon was ... joyful when I had found a consort. But they were also understanding when it was for the good of all involved that it had to come to an end."

There was no scandal and Adraudia had spoken of Dejan's departure plainly. She understood that Victer's passions lay elsewhere, despite her emotions hardening at his loss. That lay deep where no one knew - except confidant Razielle. Her mind wandered in curiosity if she'd ever find another to stand by her side, or if she'd eventually have to relent to the will of the court and marry out of duty.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Natacha
    Alice nodded gravely to the Queen's observations on the court and its incessant debates. She definitely dreaded having to put up with them, although she knew that she had to undergo proper protocol. It would just prove an exercise in patience, which was a strong teacher, as her late master had ingrained in her, as well as her various Intelligence superiors. She was grateful for the background she had for it would come in handy with the nobles, at least as much as with the rest of her actual work.

"I will make sure to answer to the court to the best of my abilities, although I consider that following my official approbation, a certain amount of matters will not be shared with them unless I have your direction command to do as such, Your Majesty."

She repressed a smirk when Varyan talked about how Theselon could prove a thorn in many a Hapan female's side due to the views their planet held. That was also a reason why Alice had done very well the few times she had worked on missions outside of the Cluster. While she still held dear the notion that women remained the superior gender, she considered that men had more brain cells and uses than simply eye candy and breeders.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Natacha
    While Theselon had an ancestral governance under Archons, including the Starfallen bloodline for two centuries, the court wasn't as extensive as the one on Onderon for what Varyan understood, especially after speaking to Queen Basillie. He nevertheless understood all too well the concept of "cyclical" nature of debates, for it had driven him to the edge of sanity on several occasions, although he would credit his own relatives to do worse, as much as he appreciated the education he had received to prepare him to hold the position of Archon.

His parents hadn't been the greatest rulers of the planet, and much of the continuous prosperity of his planet until he took the reigns, were to be credited to both his grandparents and generally speaking the Matriarchs who had overseen the whole Consortium in the past decades.

He had accessed to the role of Archon younger than most, but his parents had shown little interest in keeping it. It had been trials and errors at times, but having grown up witnessing his parents' leadership style had made sure he wouldn't do the same. It had also motivated him to eventually give up on any sort of bridal hunt for now.

He nodded to the Queen. "It is good that parting ways could happen with as little drama as possible, Your Majesty.."

While it didn't make everything easier or better, the lack of theatrics was always a good thing. Small measures of peace of mind were rarities at times.

"You must have had quite extensive proposals since then though,"
    he observed politely, but without hiding his curiosity, for there was no reason to. After all they had been discussing the issues of producing heirs for a while now.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Its good to be Queenie

The queen nodded towards Alice with earnest eyes. "As it should be. It was the same with my previous commander."

Her word was law. There was no debating this.

Though her serious gaze softened at Varyan's remark. A laugh bubbled forth that made Adraudia sound so free and pure. "Sadly, yes. Oh they gave me several months to myself out of respect for my previous consort, which was quite generous of the court to be truthful, but soon it was back to the way it was. Is."

Bold eyes looked to Varyan with playful challenge that spoke of only jest. "Admittedly the proposals have quieted as of late. Unless you're here under false pretenses, Archon? Not conspiring with my court are you?"

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Natacha
    "I appreciate the confirmation, Your Majesty."

Alice paused for a moment, knowing that weaving the different aspects of her life had always been tricky, and knowing what to reveal was very much the same.

"While I am not certain of what my former superiors have transmitted to you about my history as a member of Hapan Intelligence, I can admit I am known to be a free thinker and come up with outside the box solutions at times, especially in times of emergency. Yet, I value following protocol for the most part."

She was reliable and got the job done, even when it meant putting her life on the line, but she wasn't afraid of doing things in an unorthodox fashion. Granted, the Queen had briefly caught part of the reason behind such choices when they had briefly sensed each other's presence through the Force upon first meeting.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Natacha
    Varyan felt privileged to witness the early interaction between Alice and the Queen.In an ironic way, he was certain many Hapan women would consider that if he found any diplomatic grace in the Queen's eyes, it was only because of Alice's achievements. While he knew it not to be the case, he nevertheless felt immense pride for the new Commander. And he was also willing to admit that he had embraced the opportunity for establishing greater diplomatic bonds between Onderon and Theselon. After all, he would be a poor Archon if he did any differently.

He nodded to what the monarch said about having suitors tossed left and right towards her throne.

"I am expecting it, although to a lesser degree, to happen soon enough, once my family and the court realize that I have other priorities than bride hunting."

He chuckled at the Queen's quip about his intentions.

"I am far from perfection; but I pride myself in my honesty, so this visit is no smoke screen in hope to vie for your hand, Your Majesty."

He grinned, still amused at Basillie's sense of humor, a very appreciable trait he mused.

"I am honored to spend time with you, but I rejoice as not having to conspire or even interact with your court."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Its good to be Queenie

Adraudia found Varyan's wit delightful as he rolled with her humor. "Well, the crown appreciates confirmation that you're not conspiring for my hand. I suppose we can allow further interactions with one another."

She chuckled before features smoothed over in regards to her new commander.

"Hm. I'm sure the court will be delighted to hear that, Alice. They value protocol, as do I to an extent." The food was forgotten for now as she leaned back to critically regard the woman. "But there is a time and place for everything. Why your skills impressed me, I am curious that once you organize the guards to how you sit fit for my benefit, what then?"

Adraudia rest her elbows as fingers met its counterpart before her. "Will Onderon provide enough incentive to keep you here after such lively assignments?"
    Last edited by Adraudia Basillie; Aug 5th, 2019 at 07:36:34 PM.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Natacha
    Alice was mildly entertained by the banter between the Queen and Starfallen. While she didn't make any comment about it; she was glad to see him be able to do what he did best, being a leader who cared for his people and went the extra parsec; with even the opportunity to actually enjoy himself. Removing himself from the bride hunting process seemed to be doing him good.

She focused on the monarch again when a sensible question was asked. She had mused over it; for indeed she had been traveling and been on the field for several years. Her choice to relocate and accept a position in a specific long-term location might seem an oddity compared to her file.

"Besides assessing and organizing your guard, I see opportunities to also review their selection and training process. And due to my operative background, I would like to collaborate with your intelligence services as well, and consolidate how every aspect of your security works for the best of Your Highness, and by extension of the planet."

She took a sip of wine and added another thought regarding the monarch's question.

"Even though several of my assignments are classified, I will say that being able to serve and make a difference in a specific place does feel like a new challenge. And while traveling can bring its lot of excitement, I seek to make a long-term difference somewhere, and am honored this place shall be Onderon."

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Natacha
    Varyan bowed his head, although he couldn't hide the grin on his face.

"Your Majesty is too kind."

Good banter without ulterior motives was refreshing. He considered it was what adults should be able to do, even when in leadership positions. They remained human beings; and he found value in building ties through socialization as well, and not just going through diplomatic check lists.

He wasn't surprised by the Queen's question to Alice, or his friend's response. He also knew that as much as she could have worked with him back on their home world, leaving Theselon meant she would get away from her own familiar pressure. He knew she very rarely mentioned it; but he knew the Di Scarra had had traditional hopes for their daughter, even though their house was minor nobility.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Its good to be Queenie

Her attention honed in on Alice, though Varyan was far from forgotten. This was a serious conversation that required her undivided attention.

"An interesting long term proposal, Alice. My concern is if you're stretched too thin by taking on too many positions. The court may believe you are doing this on purpose to gain power over me - by not only being in charge of those that are sworn to protect my life but also know Onderon's secrets. You said it yourself, you would have access to everything pertaining to my security and that could be unsettling ..."

It made sense given Alice's background but the queen would not easily give her new commander such power immediately. Alice needed to earn it and prove her loyalty, and Adraudia needed to unravel the unspoken understanding between them.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Natacha
    Alice was pleased by the Queen's response to her potential long-term plan. She had the impression that the monarch was not only intelligent but a well-calculating woman, and this was comforting her in her assumption.

"This is why I am keen on collaborating with others heading your Intelligence services, and also look forward for it to be an evolving plan. I prefer thinking ahead of future possibilities, out of habit."

She also knew that at some point, sooner than later, away from anyone else, they would have to address their experience and training as Dark Siders, which would likely influence the working relationship between them.

"I also prefer earning my place and taking required time to prove my worth. As much as words as important especially for people in political positions such as you, or Archon Starfallen, actions can speak louder than them in my case."

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Natacha
    Oblivious to the dark side ripples in the blossoming interaction with both women, Varyan nevertheless listened with great attention to the conversation. Observing was something that came to him naturally, which had forged much of his character as a child, when seeing the mess his parents had left in their wake for his home world.

It was why he had learned to find voices of reason where some might not expect them, being attentive to unexpected mentors and new ideas. Finding a right balance between useful and revered tradition, and bolder progressive ideas that could serve his people, had been at the core of his work as Archon of Theselon, and he believed that getting to watch proceedings such as the ones between the Queen and Alice, was a privilege, even if it might appear tangential to his own duties.

He had hopes and plans to expand on Theselon's commercial and diplomatic relations. His planet had been known for some archaic fashions, that while fancy once upon a time, had been but a relic from olden times in his view, and the numbers confirmed it. He hoped to encourage more artistic endeavors, as well as expand on trade of furs and fabrics that were among the great riches of his world.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Its good to be Queenie

"Indeed they do." The Queen pursed her lips. "Though it is true for all stations."

She raised her hand, beckoning her handmaiden Jaynie over. The woman had been by her side for years, since before Razielle had first stepped onto Onderon as the Queen's ward. Adraudia trusted her implicitly and had more duties than just being a simple handmaiden. She was the age as the queen, with similar frame and hair color, tho Jaynie's hair was more wavy. Jaynie's eyes were a shade darker than Adraudia's and looked at the queen's guests with curiosity and underlying suspicion, but she was not overly rude.

Jaynie curtsied. "Majesty?"

"Please make preparations with the court so Alice can be welcomed properly as my new commander." Her eyes never wavered from Alice's. "Make sure that time's extended so all questions and concerns can be asked during one session. This is not a matter that needs to be dragged out over days."

"Of course, Majesty. You will also be delighted to know that both the Commander's and the Archon Starfallen's quarters are prepared."

There she looked up with fondness. "Thank you, Jaynie. We'll speak again soon."

Jaynie smiled before curtsying again and taking her leave.

"If there's nothing else pressing, perhaps you two would like some time to rest?" Any journey could tire oneself, but there had been enough food, drink and conversation that could make a mind weary.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Natacha
    Alice observed with interest the woman called upon by the Queen. The interaction between monarch and handmaiden spoke of a longtime trust, and easy communication, which Alice noted for future reference. She looked forward to get properly acquainted with the woman as well, Lady Jaynie she believed, based on the information she had read upon the Queen's entourage which had been provided to her.

Her assumption was eventually confirmed. She gave a polite nod to the handmaiden when she said that her quarters, as well as Varyan's were ready. Alice didn't have that many belongings, after a busy life as a traveling spy in the past few years, but her Archon friend had made sure to bring everything aboard his ship during the visit to make the process easier.

Upon the monarch's offer to rest, the brunette nodded.

"I have addressed everything needed for now, Your Majesty. Rest sounds like a good idea, thank you."

She gave a look at Varyan, curious to see what he would do. While she was privy to some of his desires for his planet, she wasn't his closest aide or confidante either.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast