Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Outlandish Voyage

SW-Fans.Net Poster

What a fine looking bitch.
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    "Once we're all so less displaced, it'll be easier. Not that my band's all organized and stuff, but we could set up and break down our gear quick and efficiently. Have to on the road most of the time," she explained rather proudly. Her kin were the best band mates a Galliard could ask for.

Now that her mind was a bit more clear, Nara appreciated this tête-à-tête. What really made this intriguing is that the both of them knew the other walked the path of the gifted. They were just dancing around the specifics.

"And that's why you were intrigued with me. Because of my musical preferences," she stated with understanding and had an idea. "Pick a favorite song of yours and I'll sing it. If you like it, how about I get that final say in performing here?"

She took a sip of her third cup of coffee, feeling the force wakefulness that she desperately needed.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Natacha
    "It can be difficult to stay in one place," Roxane mused. Due to what she was, she used to disappear and move around about every year, sometimes more often in some bad times. She had been able to stabilize in London in the last while, but she still went off the grid on a regular basis, needing it for her well-being. She was fine being considered too much to handle, and appreciated the complexities of her changing personality, but she had no want to fall prey to the insanity that her people could experience. That was a line she'd rather not cross.

The blonde grinned to Nara. "I'm the hard rock and metal gal around here. Isabelle has to pull me to other styles though at this point, she knows that we're not turning the place into a mainstream club." She chuckled, remembering a good many times Isabelle and her bantered over music genres.

She kept her bright blue eyes upon Nara for a moment, liking what the musician said. She liked a straightforward and bold personality.

"Deal. I wouldn't want you to perform somewhere you don't want to after all."

Musing over the song choice, she eventually made up her mind, for she always had a difficult time picking a favorite of anything. "Edge of Time by The Scorpions."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

She agreed with Roxane's opinion on the difficulties in staying in one place. Nara tried that in Chicago and it ended in war and heartbreak that had wounded the Garou's soul so badly that she ran away across the ocean. It was a difficult, but fresh, start and things were already looking up on day one. She'd have to remember to thank that lead of hers for the recommendation and Michele in convincing her to come to London.

"Good thing I'm not mainstream," she said with approval. "Classic choice too."

Carefully the Garou pushed the coffee cup, saucer and pot a safe distance away. The table would be her instrument to get a beat going and the taps and raps against the wood too close to the dishes might cause a spill here and there. She shifted her weight on the chair, spreading her legs so feet planted on the floor as if she were in front of a drum set.

"Not gonna be the same without the guitars, but I'll do my best," she admitted with a grin and closed her eyes.

Nara heard the opening notes and waited for the right moment to start using her hands to the table where the drumsticks would land on snare and toms, cracking against the cymbals as her foot tapped against the floor in place of the bass drum.

As she began to sing, Nara opened her eyes and remained riveted to her audience of one across the table from her.

Only the Lord knows the answer
    To the mess this world is in
    At the end of the rainbow
    We're scared to death once again
    Life's getting shorter every hour
    It keeps on feeding in my face
    Why can't we stop the evil power
    That will kill the human race

Nara hit the melody perfectly, mirroring the high notes with a little flare of her own, showing off her range in maintaining the syllable even longer than Klaus did during the chorus. A gift of being a Galliard blessed by the spirits.

Right, baby don't cry
    Keep on dancing tonight
    On the edge of time
    Right, baby don't cry
    Keep on dancing tonight
    On the edge of time

Her head bobbed as she hit the imaginary cymbal, hair swishing back when she locked gazes with Roxane again.

Only the Lord knows the answer
    To the mess this world is in
    This place has turned into Atlantis
    And it's already started to sink
    Life in the fast lane
    Has turned into a dead end street
    Let's turn the wheel back to the future
    Let's use the power of our dreams

She passionately belted out the chorus one more time, her feet and hands moving in perfect rhythm on the invisible drum set, harmonious with just her voice and hands, slight tapping of boots against the floor. If Nara could recreate this song so simply - imagine the possibilities with a full set of instruments and her band.

Hands quickly pummeled out a few notes to end the song. The Garou's cheeks were slightly tinged pink from the effort and the caffeine. She smiled, eager to hear Roxane's appraisal as she leaned back against her chair, an elbow hanging over the edge.

"So ... what didja think?"

Edge of Time lyrics by the Scorpions

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Natacha
    "I wouldn't picture you as mainstream for sure, though we're all composed of many layers," Roxane mused with a quirky grin. Going deep into other people' souls was something that always fascinated her, at least when the individuals in question earned her interest and hopefully her respect.

She nodded at Nara's words about her choice. "I was lucky to see them perform this one live during the tour following the album release." It remained some of her best live music experiences.

The blonde then kept quiet as she gave her complete attention to the brunette, watching her movements and then finding herself very easily enthralled in her rendition of the song. While a classic, she knew it was a tough pick, especially when working with no actual instrument besides the make-do ones the musicians relied on.

She had genuinely expected Nara to be good; but the world collapsed around her as she got lost in her version of "Edge of Time."

"Holy shit," was all that Roxane was able to blurt out when Nara asked for her opinion. She chuckled and twirled a loose strand from her blond hair, before tucking it behind her ear.

"That was bloody impressive. Wow, you'll have me speechless whenever I hear you with all instruments!"

She canted her head to the side, her mind suddenly connecting dots, based on that haunting way Nara had held certain notes.

"Galliard?"

She might be wrong, but she doubted it. It wasn't just outstanding talent, for the way she had sung certain parts was not only inhuman but had this throbbing quality that she had only ever heard from a group of Galliard many moons ago.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

That quip of seeing the Scorpions when the album was released made the Garou a little jealous. She was just a little kid back then and wouldn't have gotten near a real concert for another six years - albeit sneakily and so very much underage - at a Green Day concert in D.C. She had the time of her life and was inspired to write words to the songs that were just music in her head and written on paper. To give birth to lyrics cemented her future as a Galliard, the ground work laid out by her mother who was certain that her daughter was one of them. Garou.

Those gifts moved Roxane. Nara could feel her appreciation before praise was blurted out and felt triumphant that she won the cafe owner over. "Be careful, Roxane. If you're not careful, you might faint when you hear my band play."

With a grin, she pulled the saucer back and took a sip as her companion sussed out who exactly Nara was. Roxane had good intuition, a quality needed when running an establishment like this.

"Yes. I am," she admitted, giving Roxane a once over. "Not entirely sure what gave it away tho ..."

She chuckled, finishing her third cup of coffee and deciding that the rest of the pot wasn't needed anymore. Roxane had her complete attention.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Natacha
    Roxane gave a devilish grin to Nara when she was warned about what might happen when she saw the Garou play with her band. "Well then, I dare you to make me faint when I hear you perform with your group." Her feisty and intense nature was always present, regardless of what aspect of her personality was currently taking ownership of her moods. She meant every word she had said. She had especially done that because her intuition told her that Nara had the capacity to meet her challenge.

It seemed that the brunette was recovering from the jet-lag, given how she pushed the coffee pot away despite not having finished it.

She smiled to the musician's confirmation about her nature. Roxane pondered on what to say or not to say; but chose to speak of her experience with people like Nara.

"Centuries ago, some Galliards gave me shelter when I was on the run. The way they sang. I had never heard that deeply haunting quality until I heard you today. It isn't something one can easily forget."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Grinning back, she accepted the challenge. "Guess that means I got the job, eh?"

She folded her hands atop the table, riveted to Roxane's story, wondering what Roxane was. Despite her gifts, Nara had yet to master sensing other supernatural creatures. Garou and kinfolk were not a problem, anything else was a puzzle to the Black Fury. And this was an interesting puzzle. Roxane admitted to being as old as some Vampires, but the time of day suggested that was not her true nature. Ancient Garou wouldn't have given her shelter if she weren't to be trusted.

Nara hunched closer, her curiosity growing and a sucker for a good story. "Tell me about them. The Galliards that helped you."

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Natacha
    Roxane beamed at Nara's reply. "Since you accepted the challenge, very much so," she replied, winking to her new acquaintance. She still wondered who had recommended the place to the brunette. She would eventually find out. "You can see the main room here of course, but we also have space for you and your band to store equipment or get ready. And we arrange for some time off hours for you to rehearse so you can get a feel of the place." She wasn't venue manager so to speak, but the Cafe was still her baby.

A sad smile passed on her face at Nara's question. Yet she was willing to share. "Let me grab myself a drink and I'll tell you. Do you need anything else?" Waiting for Nara's response, she then went to retrieve snacks and drinks, choosing some black tea and some muffins from the employee stock.

Making herself comfortable, she took a bite from the blueberry muffin. "I'm a Bastet, one of the very last Ceilican. I spent my youth between France and Ireland. When my tribe was mostly decimated, I was on the run for many years. At some point, I was in England thanks to Ireland Bastets I knew. They vouched for me and a group of Galliards let me stay with them for several months." Then her yearly bout of near-madness had hit, but that was another story.

"The haunting quality of their chants was therapeutic, and helped me mourn a lot, as well as renew my longing to stay alive, no matter what had happened to my people."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Nara grinned at the affirmation, nodding as Roxanne went over the details. She looked at the room with new eyes, imagining how she would set the stage to give the band enough room to move, how many people could be packed in here, would the band get free drinks ...?

"Water please." She didn't want to test her stamina and start on the alcohol with most of her body fueled on caffeine.

She perked up at the snacks and plucked what she thought was a scone from the basket. Giving it a sniff, Nara bit into it and enjoyed the light sweetened flavor. She continued to munch on it as Roxane told her story. Nara felt a memory tickle her brain, trying to force its way to consciousness. It was similar to deja vu but these were ancestral memories trying to be heard. This happened on rare occasions due in part to her unique heritage prevalent in Crinos. She gave the Silver Fangs a run for their inbred money with being pure bred through natural means. She was blessed by Gaia, her body infused with potent blood and power.

Instinctively her hand went to touch the outside of her jacket. She clutched it and in doing so, felt the shape of the klaive hidden there. It pulsed with energy, since Roxane mentioned her true nature.

"Do you ... do you remember any of the Garou's names that helped you?" she asked, breaking out of her reverie.

What're the odds if she knew him ... she wondered.

Also Nara knew next to nothing about Bastet except through stories of the mothers and crones of her camp, but this Ceilican breed was new to her. All Bastet were secretive and being the last of a breed that Nara had never heard of, she had to know more!
    Last edited by Nara McKenna; May 29th, 2019 at 09:37:34 PM.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Natacha
    Roxane made sure to bring water back to Nara; though she couldn't help rejoicing at seeing her dig into one of the scones. She gave a Cheshire cat grin to her new acquaintance. "We staff might keep a few stashed baked goods every day." She chuckled, because it was obvious it was the truth. She was just feeling quirky, and her spirits were up again after the current time preceding her Priyo changing and the exhausting morning.

She noticed how at some point Nara's hand went to the outside of her jacket. It was a weird happenstance that Roxane couldn't figure out; although she kept her curiosity to herself. While she felt safe to reveal certain things about herself, especially after having survived for so long, and generally trusting fellow preternatural individuals coming to the Moonstone Cafe.

When asked whether she recalled any of the Garou's names, she canted her head to her side. She narrowed her eyes at the brunette before her. She was wondering about a specific someone. That, Roxane was sure of. What the connection was remained a mystery, but she felt all the more intent on learning more about it.

Regarding the question at hand, she pondered on it for a moment. Her memory could be as excellent as horrendous, and it could be random at times, although right before a Priyo change could be almost as bad as during the insane time of the year she had to juggle with.

"Danae was the elder. She had such a beautiful voice and a warm heart. Riordan was a pain in the ass, but loyal till the end." She paused, seeing faces in her mind as clear as if it had happened the previous day, but the names were eluding her for longer than she liked. If she had her journals she could go through it, but right then and then, her memory was a mess.

"I hate to admit it; but I see all their faces and can give you random facts, but the names are only well-kept in my journals, which are at home. Is there someone in particular you're expecting me to have met?"

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Nara couldn't help the disappointed look on her face after swallowing the water and setting the drink down. She also didn't hold anything against Roxane for her shoddy memory. It was centuries ago and the young Garou couldn't fathom what it was like having that range of information and keeping it all straight. She was attentively listening to anything Roxane had to say, but nothing she shared sparked any tangible connection to her ancestor. Cormac had ran with many Garou at various times so the names spoken didn't necessarily mean he was there.

But there was still hope.

"Yes," she admitted gruffly. "An old Fianna Galliard named Cormac. The odds are a long shot that you've met him but ... it would just really be something to speak to someone that actually met him."

She downed some more water and wiped a stray drop left on the side of her mouth with the back of a hand before continuing. "He was my great-great grandfather."

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Natacha
    Roxane saw the disappointed look on Nara's face, and couldn't help wishing her memory had conjured up more names, especially whichever the Garou seemed longing to hear.

She waited for the brunette to hopefully answer her question. She knew how private many of their kinds could be, herself included. The thin line between putting things out in the open with fellow preternatural people, and keeping things to one's self out of self-preservation or simple preferences, could be a challenging one.

The moment Nara said who she was hoping to hear about, memories flooded back to Roxane, connecting the name to a Garou that had crossed her mind only moments ago.

"You're Cormac's descendant?"

She smiled and couldn't help laughing. "I should give you a good few drinks on the house then, given how many times he let me snag his flask back in those days." Grinning, she relaxed in her chair and took another bite from the scone.

"He was so powerful and yet so ready to protect those in need. I know that first hand. He was among the first who chose to have me stick around. He taught me how to be a better fighter too. While we're different species, we had this kind of understanding of each other's, especially as time went on."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Nara watched the nuances of pensive lines smooth out as realization came to Roxane! She did know Cormac! She enthusiastically smacked the table with a palm while grinning, grateful for the good fortune in their paths crossing. Nara was meant to be here at this time and place to find Roxane.

"This is amazing! I've only heard stories about him that were passed down through the generations. But you were actually with him! Spoke to him!" Nara didn't care at all how fast she spoke or how much she gushed at the Bastet.

She laughed after the comment about the free drinks, not surprised that Cormac was one to share his own. That much she had heard and it was endearing to have it confirmed.

"Legends can lose meaning over time. Become these fantastic adventures that're heavily embellished. Sure there's truth to them but one wonders if the Garou deserved the praise, ya know?" Her eyes shined with controlled tears, full of pride. "It's humbling to hear just how great he was."

And did she really deserve to be part of that sacred lineage of Fury and Fianna? Doubts began to creep towards the surface as she wondered.
    Last edited by Miranda Tarkin; Jun 5th, 2019 at 12:07:19 PM.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Natacha
    Roxane couldn't help smiling fondly at Nara's reaction when it happened that she had indeed met the Garou's ancestor. Those who had such long lives could sometimes forget over time, or as the brunette said, stories were embellished, and so much happened that memories could fade and blend.

"He was amazing. This bunch of Galliards are among those who helped me most when I was on the run."

Roxane mused over these long-gone events. "Cormac was one of a kind; and I am glad to know his lineage carried on. It isn't always the case with us preternatural beings."

After all, Bastets born to Bastets often had health issues; and their mental difficulties generally speaking didn't make them the best kind of parents anyway, even if some offspring could come to life normal. She genuinely loved her long life, and she prided herself in having survived that long, and continuously preserving shreds of sanity, even during the hardest times her physiology plagued her with.

"If you'd like, I could go through my journals and share with you what I have written about him."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

"He must've found his wife after he met you since you didn't know he had children. They were all kin and never shifted. Until me."

Nara barely remembered her first shift - just the pain and flashes of movement and voices. After it was over, she learned who she really was by the Furies that treated her reverently. She had no idea who she resembled when she shifted. That wasn't explained until the newly shifted Garou was brought back to the Black Fury Tribe and properly indoctrinated with stories, song and preparation for upcoming rituals to prove she was as powerful as the ancestor she represented - The Great Black Fury Philodox Eoen. Hours were spent by listening to stories that span days, hoping wisdom would be instilled in the young Garou.

She had a lot to live up to but Nara was going to prove herself worthy in her own way. There were several generations between her and Cormac and Eoen but those two combined histories created unrealistic expectations for Nara in these modern times. The threats of the Spirals with Pentex as a driving force required creativity and patience. Her camp understood that but others wanted her to be more proactive and be groomed to lead. That was not her way. She loved traveling, creating music, and protecting her people from the taint of the Wyrm. Sitting around leading wouldn't accomplish that.

She wasn't going to allow the past to define her, but it was prudent she understood where she came from.

"I'd be grateful if you could. A chance like this.... it means a lot to see whatever it is you can share about him ..."

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Natacha
    Roxane nodded to Nara's observation about the timeline of when she had met Cormac. "I stayed a while with them; but was eventually on the move again. Most people still think my tribe is fully extinct now. I've not even run into anyone of my kind since then. Being hunted eventually faded out; but back then I didn't want to stay with anyone too long. I didn't want to endanger them, even when they were quite resourceful."

Shifting had become second nature over time. And it had even helped her move quicker when persecuted too. She found some solace into the shifting process, even when at certain times it could still be somewhat painful for unexpected reasons. Certain days when she really felt asocial, she would even roam the Moonstone Cafe in her cat form, hiding on top of one of the bookshelves, so she would keep an eye on her domain but wouldn't have to bother with human interaction.

Roxane nodded with a smile to Nara's positive response to her offer. "How long will you be in London? I could bring the journals to you here soon."

While she had a strong positive impression from the Galliard, it didn't mean she was ready to let her in her personal residence. Roxane very rarely let people do as such. Her home was sacred and she disliked sharing it with most guests.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

It was a throw away line but Nara glommed onto the fact that few knew that Roxane's kind still existed. She needed to take that to heart and do as her ancestor did - protect Roxane. The feeling was overwhelming, the results of past feelings of friendships reaching out through generations of blood. It was the potent ramifications of being a pure blood at times. The concealed klaive only heightened that link to Cormac.

"I understand the need for secrecy. Especially for you. I can't imagine what it's like to maybe be the last of your kind. I take what little trust you gave me seriously and I swear to you, on the blood of my ancestor who protected you, that your secret is safe with me." She declared, feeling that oath bound to the weapon of kin long gone.

"So... yeah ..." she shifted on the chair, leaning back hoping that very over the top display wasn't too much for Roxane. They had just met, or met again in the spiritual sense, and this had to be overwhelming since the conversation went from the levity of belting out rock songs and discussing job offers to oaths. Now she felt her words leave her. An ailment no Galliard should have!

Why did her passionate nature have to come out so awkwardly right now after being so focused with her declaration?

"London. I'll be here for awhile. New job and all." Brown eyes softened with uncertainty. "I mean, if I still have the job offer and stuff."

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Natacha
    Nara's oath took Roxane by surprise. It had been centuries since she had heard something as such; and she found herself at a loss of words. There was a searing pain that returned to the surface of her mind and soul, the old cry for her kind that would never be answered anymore. Even if scattered others had survived, which she entertained loosely every once in a while, it would never be the same again. There was no going back. She had formed connections over the years, more or less deep, often not as close as she might have wanted; but an oath brought her back such a long time ago.

Without realizing it, her eyes had turned cat-like, same deep blue hue, but in the way they would normally indicated she might shift. She eventually realized it, and willed herself back to pure human form.

"You are his descendant. There is no denying you're from Cormac's bloodline, Nara,"
    she finally said, her voice rawer than she wanted it to be.

She bowed her head with a solemnity that she rarely exhibited. Her sharp edge was common knowledge, but rarely exhibited in such a manner. "Thank you for your oath. It means a lot, and I didn't expect that."

She relaxed her posture a bit, her mind still processing what had just occurred.

When the Galliard answered the question about London, and wondered whether she still had the job, the blonde couldn't help laughing wholeheartedly.

"Of course you do! I'm very happy you agreed to this. And you still have a dare to handle."

She grinned to the Garou, before continuing. "Also, I want you to know that the least I can do for what Cormac did for me back in the day, is making sure you are well provided for while in London. If you need anything, please let me know."

She had had a tendency to play "mamma cat" to fellow preternatural in London for a long while. Many had specific relatives, allies, or leaders, to turn to; but she knew too well how burdensome isolation could be, and if she could help, she would.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Her posture straightened with surprise at the subtle shift in Roxane's eyes. She knew with Garou that deeply felt emotions can trigger a desire to shift. Was it the same with her companion's kind? Out of respect, she waited patiently and made no mention of it. This was not the time to act curious and point out the obvious, especially so with the emotion she was attempting to conceal in her voice.

Nara smiled gruffly with amusement. "Yeah, well. I wasn't planning on it either but ... it needed to be said. It was important."

And something Cormac would want, she thought, feeling the potent magic simmering from under her jacket due to the klaive.

She wasn't sure why this was so important to her ancestor. If she were fortunate, memories could be invoked as she slept. There were times when dreams provided glimpses into her past. Those memories helped her tribe find Cormac's weapon and it was gifted to her as his heir.

Roxane's laughter, though genuine, hid the rawness laying underneath. It wasn't best to pry as what happened here between two strangers bound by a common Garou was significant. Nara was not used to being so vocal about these things, keeping to herself after the way things ended with Brigid. They both had the same fiery spirit and the fights outweighed the passion for each other. That was why making the oath to a stranger took her by surprise.

Not a stranger. And old friend of the family's, she reminder herself.

"When I tell the band the good news, they're gonna loose their shit cuz I got us a gig so fast. But really, Roxane? You don't have to go above and beyond for me. Knowing that we got steady work and a safe place to be 's more than enough." She plucked another scone from the basket and grinned. "Well, having a large stock of these definitely wouldn't hurt though!"
    Last edited by Nara McKenna; Jun 13th, 2019 at 07:20:17 PM.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Natacha
    Roxane was fairly certain that the Galliard had noticed the brief shift in her eyes; but she was grateful she didn't pry into the matter for the time being. She would have answered questions; but she liked not having to. Time would come for them to discuss her kind in greater details. She had no doubt about it.

She chuckled at Nara's amusement about how the whole oath thing had gone down. "I'm glad you did. It brought me back a long time ago."

While she had made a name for herself over years, decades, even centuries, she had mostly remained at the edge of the grid, if not completely off, except in the recent while in London since opening the Moonstone Cafe. There was a certain irony that only a handful of people, only one she was still sure he was alive, knew her birth name. She had become Roxane such a long time ago that she didn't know if she'd even answer to her first name. By the time she had met Cormac, she was already Roxane.

"I rarely get to run back into old acquaintances, or even their lineage. It has to do with having run out of pack and tribe many moons ago,"
    she added with a dry chuckle, though there was a sadness in her eyes. She had made the best of her life, and had even managed to curb the madness with significant success for the most part; but fate could make things lonely.

She grinned when Nara said her band would be happy to hear the good news. "I hope your band likes the venue. I can bet my music manager will stare at me for bringing another rock band; but she knows me well enough to know it also suits the vibe of the place." While by daytime her establishment was the cozy magic kind, it turned into a growing dive bar that patrons learned to love by night.

"I'm happy to help when I can." She couldn't help laughing at Nara's comment about the scones. "Well, this is pretty much a given. Lila and I wouldn't have it any other way. And you might even become a guinea pig when I try new recipes." While she didn't bake everything herself at this point, all recipes were her own.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast