Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shadows in the Stars (~8.329 ABY)

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Holly

Complete Shadows in the Stars (~8.329 ABY)

[ACTUAL TIME STAMP IS CLASSIFIED]

"Lieutenant Commander Davis?"

Bette looked up from the report she was writing on the last training exercise, and brushed her hair out of her eyes.

"Can I help you...Lieutenant?" She eyed the man's rank plate, and then looked down at her datapad with the half-written report in a pointed fashion.

"You're needed in the briefing room. Said your reports could wait."

"Who said?" Bette straightened up, but the lieutenant had already ducked out of the pilots common room. She sighed, tucking her datapad away. Better just get this bullshit over with.

Expecting to find her fellow wing commanders in the briefing room, Bette was surprised to find it empty when she arrived. After a moment's hesitation she found her usual seat and waited for the CO to show up and tell her what was going on.
    Last edited by Lilaena De'Ville; May 6th, 2019 at 09:37:43 AM.

yo ho yo ho a pilot's life for me

Nelaa Kyris had never been a big fan of star destroyers. They were ok when all you saw was the landing bay while you were switching shuttles, but actually having to walk around inside them wasn't for her. Every single one was the same. Same layout, same colors. They were just so...bland. This was one of those times, however, where she would have to just deal with it.

The ISD Admonisher was currently stationed near Bespin, which was pretty much on the exact opposite end of the galaxy from where Nelaa needed to be. The truth was she needed and pilot and with the mission that she was tasked with, you didn't settle for anything below top notch. And when you're going for top notch, it has to be done face to face. Plus, the details of this mission weren't something that you'd want to broadcast, even on secure channels.

She walked into the briefing room to find the person she sought had already arrived.

"Lieutenant Commander Bette Davis, it has been awhile..."
    Last edited by Nelaa Kyris; May 5th, 2019 at 12:35:32 AM.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Holly
    I should have guessed.

After a moment Bette stood up, standing at attention with her hands behind her back until the other woman waved her back into her seat.

"Agent Kyris. It's been a while." She looked around at the otherwise empty room and raised an eyebrow. "I take it this is classified."

It had been at least a year since Bette had seen Agent Kyris, but ImpIntel had never quite released the hooks they had in Shadow Squadron. She'd spent quite a bit of time with Kyris when she'd first joined the Shadows, learning hand-to-hand combat. Even though they'd spent a lot of time together, Bette had never quite warmed up to her. Kyris definitely knew her shit, though, and that had earned her respect.

"You know me too well."

Nelaa slid a datapad across the table to Bette.

"So classified that I can't discuss it here. I will say, with absolutely no exaggeration, that the fate of the Empire hinges on the success of this mission. If you're in, I have an agent in shuttle bay 2C waiting for you."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Holly
    "I'm in." Bette put a hand on the datapad, but Kyris kept a finger on it for a moment.

"Do not approach this flippantly," Kyris said, and Bette raised an eyebrow. The agent removed her finger from the datapad.

"You've got 2 hours to get packed and ready. Pack heavy, it'll be a long trip. Your CO has been informed of your absence already, and you are to say you're going on leave if anyone asks. I'll see you there."

"Shuttle bay 2C. Got it." Bette tucked the datapad away as Kyris exited the briefing room.

An hour and forty-five minutes later she was carrying her kit into 2C, wondering who she was going to be flying around this time. The bay was empty except for one shuttle, and she walked up into it.

The first thing she saw was a pair of boots. The agent had apparently made themselves at home in the cockpit and was kicking back with their feet up.

“Hey asshole, that shit is sensitive! Get your goddamn boots off the console.” Bette dropped her kit on the deck and put her hands on her hips.
    Last edited by Bette Davis; May 5th, 2019 at 01:40:38 AM.

TheHolo.Net Poster

And so I'm back, from outer space. You just walked in to find me here with that sad look upon my face

Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    James
    The man removed his feet from the console, then slowly turned around and stood in one motion. He gave a lazy salute as a grin cracked across his face.

"My apologies Lieutenant Commander. It won't happen again..."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Holly
    “What!” Bette grinned, still standing there hands on hips. “Silus?!”

She shook her head, finally walking forward and giving him a fierce hug. “Goddammit it’s been years.”

She released him, standing back a little awkwardly. “Is it Agent Xilarian now, or still Commander?”

TheHolo.Net Poster

And so I'm back, from outer space. You just walked in to find me here with that sad look upon my face

AKA
    James
    Silus nearly picked her up off the ground as they embraced.

"Agent now. Kellison made it clear that the Navy wasn't going to be a welcome home anymore, so Nel pulled some strings and got me over to intel full time."

He reached down and grabbed her kit off the deck.

"We've got plenty of time to talk, I'll take care of this if you want to get us out of here."
    Last edited by Lilaena De'Ville; May 5th, 2019 at 07:13:13 PM.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Holly
    “Of course.”

Bette stepped around Xilarian to sit in the pilot’s seat, and looked over her shoulder to watch him walk into the crew area. She grinned, turning back to the Lambda’s console, running her hands over the controls. He’d already taken care of the preflight check, so after double-checking a few items out of habit, Bette got permission from Admonisher for departure and fired up the repulsors.

As she eased the shuttle out of the bay there was a familiar jostle as the ship passed through the forcefield and into the black. Freedom.

Bette picked a vector through Blood Fang Task Group, keeping one eye on the HUD while she pulled out the datapad Agent Kyris had given her. Quickly scanning the mission parameters, she frowned. Task Group Centauri Delta was stationed outside of the Carshoulis Cluster. It was almost quite literally the other side of the galaxy from the Anoat system.

She raised an eyebrow and called back to Silus, “You weren’t kidding about this being a long trip!”

Bette punched in the coordinates into the navicomp. “It’s going to be at least four jumps to get there.”
    Last edited by Bette Davis; May 5th, 2019 at 10:24:13 AM.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    James
    Silus raised his voice to carry across the shuttle while he was stowing their gear.

“Could be more, we gotta keep a low profile and I don’t have a full report on which jump routes are secure yet.”

He came back to the front of the shuttle and plopped down in the co-pilot’s chair.

“Everything’s moving fast on this one, we’ll be getting updates all through the trip.”

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Holly
    “Just like old times.” She smiled at him, then turned back to the navicomp.

”I’m letting it calculate the best route, but only sending the first jump to the hyperdrive.” Bette accelerated past the last ISD in the task group as the navicomp crunched the numbers.

It pinged ready, and the hyperdrive spooled up, sending a vibration through the shuttle.

”Jump vector acquired.” She opened up the sublights to maximum, shooting away from the nearby gas giants and their enormous mass shadows, and then pulled the hyperspace lever.

They were both pressed back into their seats for the long moment while the stars stretched into lines and then smeared into multicolored swirls.

Bette turned in her seat to look at Silus. “So, what the hell have you been up to, Nomad?”

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    James
    Silus shook his head and looked over with a smile. It had been a long time since anyone had used his old call sign.

"Living up to my name. I've been to every end of this galaxy and most every place in between. I don't even know where I'm at half the time. Ever since Nel started riding a desk I've been out doing most of her legwork."

He caught a puzzled look from Bette.

"I guess you didn't hear, she got messed up pretty bad on a mission, nearly died. She's not cleared for field work anymore. Hasn't really slowed her down though. She's been eating and breathing this mission for months now, and she's just about ran me ragged in the process."

He reached into his pocket and pulled out a metal flask, took a drink and offered it over to Bette.

"I figure that's why they make us wear all this black. Can't tell when our ribs are starting to show."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Holly
    Bette looked at the offered drink, then the hyperspace timer. She raised an eyebrow and took the flask, helping herself to a long sip.

“Do I get to know what the mission is, beyond,” she looked at her datapad, “data retrieval?”

Bette handed the flask back, undoing her crashwebbing and getting more comfortable. “Actually, it doesn’t matter. I’d be here either way. Looks like you need someone to do some fancy flying and I don’t mind saying I’m one of the best in the fleet.”

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    James
    Silus took the flask back from Bette.

“I’ll tell you everything I’m allowed to tell you.” He took a drink. “Then I’ll tell you everything else.”

He looked around at the streaks in of light streaming by the shuttle.

“How’s the Navy been treating you?”

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Holly
    “Not too bad. Got kicked out of the Shadows for a bit, at least on paper. Our old CO, Captain Kellison, he had it in for me. Plus I may have drank a bottle of his favorite scotch. That I found in his office.”

Bette held out her hand for the flask and Silus passed it back.

“Taught nuggets for a while in Hellfire Squadron. Then we got the band back together, or Intel did, or who knows.” She shrugged, taking a sip and then holding the flask out to Silus. “It hasn’t really been the same since you left.

”Thank the gods,” she winked.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    James
    “No shit. I bet you haven’t even shot Tannis V’larr.”

He took the flask and took a big drink. When he was finished he shook the flask once or twice to confirm it was empty.

“That’s probably for the best. Gotta stay sharp for the mission.”

He got up and went back to his locker to put the flask away. When he came back he was holding a bottle of whisky.

“But it will be a long fucking flight...”

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Holly
    “The first jump ends in...thirty-three minutes,” she laughed, reaching for the bottle.

33.8 minutes later...

“Okay, got anything on the ol’ comm about our route? I’ve got, uh, the next jump almost ready.”

Bette swiveled around in the chair to face Silus, but kept turning until she was facing the bulkhead. She pushed gently with her toe to turn all the way around again.

Bette eyed the half empty bottle on the console between them. “I swear I’m not drunk right now.”

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    James
    "I think I got something hold on."

He rotated that datapad in his hands a few times until I finally got it right side up. He kept tapping on the datapad and muttering to himself.

"Just do the thing...the fuckin...the.."

A nav map with highlighted coordinates sprang to life on the shuttles viewscreen.

"There I did the thing.."

Silus set the datapad on the console, where it rested for the space of about a breath before falling to the floor. He found himself reaching for it, but ended up grabbing the bottle instead.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Holly
    “Oh, yeah, you haven’t missed a beat Xilarious.”

Bette scooped the datapad off the floor and squinted at it, carefully copying the new coordinates into the navicomp. There were quite a few new jumps to plot and it took a while to input them all. When she was done she turned to see Silus tipping back the bottle again.

”Hey, don’t drink it all without me!” Bette swiped it from him, spilling a little in the process. She made a show of wiping off the top with her sleeve and then took a swig.

”Th’ next jump’s plotted, better strap in.” She winked, tightening her crashwebbing across her chest with one hand, the bottle in the other.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    James
    As they made the jump to lightspeed, Silus popped off his crash webbing and reached over the bottle. With a wicked smile on her face, Bette held the bottle just out of his reach, causing him to stretch further and further until he was leaning completely over the console.

"Come on gimme a drin....Shit!!!"

He hit the point where his drunkenness and agility could no longer find any middle ground and tumbled over the console, landing on the floor behind Bette's chair laughing his ass off.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast