Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What happened to The Gungan Council???

Hybrid View

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie

Question What happened to The Gungan Council???

I just tried to look at it and it's like, empty. I have to be honest, I never thought that would happen.

oh what a tangled web I weave

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Are you trying to start a war with Ceel again?

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

No! I never started anything I'll have you know.

But I am genuinely curious. It looks like when Yuku merged or changed into Tapatalk it was a Real Bad Thing?

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: W4BSY Steam ID: ApexLupine
    Oof, that's a harsh layout

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    That's what you get when you stick with ezboard/yuku

I do, for reasons unknown, occasionally get emails about people posting there.

It's a pity that the community there seems to have dried up.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Yeah, I've gotten the occasional email but I never looked at it until today. I'm part of the problem!

Maybe some of them need a home?

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninda Chae View Post
    Maybe some of them need a home?

Quote Originally Posted by Lilaena De'Ville View Post
    Now I'm checking out all the old forums I have in my "RP Groups" bookmark folder.
    Aaaaand?

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Now I'm checking out all the old forums I have in my "RP Groups" bookmark folder.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Star Wars Epics is still around, but barely. I can't figure out what's happening there. The Rebel Faction won't load so I guess they're gone. SW-RPG is still trundling along like us, so yay vbulletin Star Wars Evolutions is gone.

I'm sure there are a ton of newer boards that have cropped up in the last ten years, but it is a little sad to see the older ones disappearing.

::dusts off account::

TGC kind of fell off the cliff a couple of years ago, before Tapatalk came around. I've only lurked every so often so don't know the complete details but from what I've observed/read they suffered the usual decline as the years rolled on just like nearly every other SW board. But on top of that, sometime back in 2015 (I think?) Yuku apprently locked half the membership out of their accounts and never let them back in, which pretty quickly cut the legs off what was left of the community that was still at TGC. I think a few stragglers continued to make a go of it over the following months/years but by and large the remaining community died off.

There have been attempts at revival (probably why some of you are still getting emails) but it hasn't really led to anything taking hold again. From the looks of things it's just the General and a couple of old timers still chit-chatting away - the RP side of things seems to have completely died (and by the looks of it right now it seems the General has wiped away/archived all the old threads and has just a blank slate left - only a single rules post in the RP forum but that's it).

(on a side note, it also probably hasn't helped that a former TGC admin has since setup their own board with some TGC refugees moving over there)

Tapatalk was actually a saving grace in a lot of ways because Yuku was nearly buggared towards it's end and if Tapatalk hadn't bought it out and merged it with it's own board system it's likely the whole thing would have just gone offline completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilaena De'Ville View Post
    Star Wars Epics is still around, but barely. I can't figure out what's happening there. The Rebel Faction won't load so I guess they're gone. SW-RPG is still trundling along like us, so yay vbulletin Star Wars Evolutions is gone.

I'm sure there are a ton of newer boards that have cropped up in the last ten years, but it is a little sad to see the older ones disappearing.
    For other old boards, years ago I bookmarked one of those old 'Unity proposal' threads (remember that?), specifically the one on TRF as it had links to a heap of the old boards to try and keep tabs on them but a lot of them have now gone. From what I'm aware of:

* Old ezboard boards - pretty much all of them are long gone now. Most didn't survive the transition to Yuku in the late 00s and those that did were probably long dead by the time Tapatalk in turn took over. I think TGC is the only one actually left. EDIT: oh and SithLore still exists, it jumped ship onto it's own board software not long after Tapatalk took over Yuku.

* SW-RPG.Net - still kicking around as Miss De'Ville mentioned. I was actually chatting to Dara only the other week and unfortunately something has happened over there which has seen some leave but I don't know any details. A board software upgrade and rules revision is in the works apparently.

* The Rebel Faction - still online but the community is pretty much gone except for the odd Hello post and occasional RP post.

* Meras.org - went offline a few years ago (didn't someone from here own it?)

* Order of the Oaken Dawn - was still online up until last year but has now vanished as well. It's community had been dormant for a few years now.

* Star Wars Epics - went offline last year but just now appears to have returned with version 2.0. I guess we'll see if it can revive itself as my memory was that it had long been dormant when it disappeared last year.

* CoruscantCity.Net - went offline in late 2016. It had been dormant for close to a decade by that point.

EDIT: if anyone wants to try and find some of the old places in the thread linked above it would probably pay to try copying and Googling the name than relying on the old URLs (TRF for instance changed URL years ago).

Newer boards have since come about (such as SW RP: Chaos and Star Wars Roleplay - the latter resets itself every couple of years kind of like our old reset idea was proposed to work) but the message board roleplaying neighbourhood is a lot smaller and more niche than it was 10/15/20(!!!) years ago.
    Last edited by Atreyu; Mar 22nd, 2019 at 04:16:16 AM.

"A Jedi must remain focused. Mastery of the Force requires that all unnecessary activities be purged from daily life."

If we say The Gungan Council a bunch of times in this thread then maybe people searching for it will end up here. XD You're welcome to join us if you need a laid back home to do some Star Wars writings!

There is a curse.
    They say: May you live in interesting times.

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

TRF is still about, though they are a shadow. I need to pop in there and say hi.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

I couldn't get it to load.

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

I had to re-register, but I haven't gotten my verification email yet

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    What's the URL?

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    I still have accounts there, but at least one of them I guess is tied to an email address I don't use anymore?

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    * Meras.org - went offline a few years ago (didn't someone from here own it?)
    Yes, it was owned by Ogre. I think there was a group agreement that we would let the license on that one slip, as it was no longer being used anymore?

It's interesting to look at that list thought, and think about the 'family tree' of all of these boards... how most of them are in some way related to one another.

A few of us were from swrpg and part of that departure referenced. It brought us here.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast