Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Keep Me From Blowing Away

"About like any animal that's meant for riding," he answered easily while taking another sip of caf.

Lips pulling back over the fronts of his teeth, Quarles set the mug down.

"But you, what brings you from... Carshoulis... " he dearly hoped that his pronunciation was as close to hers as possible, "... to this station?"

TheHolo.Net Poster

Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Charley
    Kalleeiha deflected with a sip of tea. She daubed her lips with the corner of her napkin to give her another moment to consider an answer to a delicate question.

"The ansswerr to that quesstjion majy not be ssatjissfjyjing. Therre arre a lot of loneljy people jin sspace. jI have a talent forr eassjing loneljinesss, well, forr a whjile at leasst."

"Oh?"

Easing loneliness... that could mean anything.

"Something like a community center?"

There was one such place back home, where many folks went to spend time with others; every week there was dancing, and most times there were home-grown bands playing. Mostly covers of the more popular Core songs, but there were a few that had put together playlists of their own original works. Those were always the funnest nights, as everyone seemed to squeeze into the communal building to hear. Locally brewed beers and even a few home-stilled liquors came out, and everyone had a good time. It was wholesome and plain, and it was comfortable.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    "jYess, jusst ljike that."

Her ears perked, and the Madame leaned in slightly, propping her elbows on the table.

"A place forr men and women to meet afterr worrk, mjingle, couple, and rrelax. Mosstljy jI'm jusst therre to facjiljitate everrjythjing. A good hosstesss."

He nodded in response, his smile ever-present.

"Sounds like a wonderful place."

He finished the last of his caf, letting out a long breath after swallowing.

"Perhaps the next time I'm visiting this station, I should pay a visit."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    "jI'd be honorred to have jyou asss a guesst, Arr Dage."

There was something there in that moment as he finished his caf. A sigh. A certain look.

"jI hope jI'm not jimpossjing bjy asskjing, but arre jyou okajy? We've onljy jusst met, but jI've sseen that look beforre. jIf jyou want to talk about jit, jI'm a good ljisstenerr."

Talking with strangers about such personal matters had never been something that he did. But, here on Jovan Station, it seemed that he'd found himself opening up to those that he was sure he'd never see again. He'd certainly done so with the Twi-Lek woman, despite her brusque and curt nature. It was something that he'd not expected to happen, to say the least. And now, here was another; though, Mrs. Maillanaarro seemed for more willing in the matter. It was strange, to be encouraged to speak of his own worries and hurts.

"I... wouldn't want to impose," he resisted weakly.

Looking to his empty mug, Quarles moved to set it down on the table.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    "jYou'rre not jimpossjing. Mjy alterrnatjive jiss that jI take mjy brreakfasst alone, and that makess the experrjience all the morre bland."

She reached to his side of the table, putting her hand on his mug but not making a motion to move it.

"Black caf?"

It was as though she'd read his mind, and Quarles blinked for just a moment before nodding.

"... yes, actually."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    Kalleeiha's grin widened slightly.

"jI had a feeljing. Neverr had a tasste forr jit mjysself, but jyou sseem jusst the tjype. Can jI bujy jyou the next one?"

For a bit longer he was struck speechless, but it didn't last long as he finally collected himself.

"Well, I'd hate for you to be out of pocket, Ma'am... "

Her kind smile was enough to assuage his misgivings, and Quarles relented.

"But if you would like, I will happily accept."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    The Madame wordlessly took Dage's mug, returning to the counter to tend to the matter.

A few minutes later, she returned, placing a refreshed and steaming mug in front of the human.

"Now," she again took her seat, testing the temperature of her tea, which was thankfully still warm enough to be pleasant, "what'ss trroubljing jyou?"

Taking back the mug she'd so graciously refilled, Quarles let out a long breath as he turned his eyes back to the view before them. It really was beautiful, and for the first time he found himself starting to understand why Quentin loved it.

"It's not so much that anything is troubling me," he finally started after a tentative sip.

"I would say that it's more an issue of readjusting."

The mug was set on the table between them. Gone was the previous easy smile; in its' place was a somber expression.

"It seems that I find myself in the unenviable position of a... widower."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    There was no sign of hand-wringing emotional commiseration. No look of pity met the Madame's expression. She maintained a neutral expression as she listened.

"How long hass jit been?"

"Too long."

The words tumbled out before he could stop them, but far from being some sort of call for companionship, they were much more akin to the sorrowful lilt of someone who held the deep-seated wish to rejoin their loved one.

One hand cradled his refilled caf.

"I am sorry, Ma'am. I don't mean to hang my worries on you."

His eyes went to the stars and their vastness.

"I'm sure you've enough to wrangle, what with your community center here, and all."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    "Ssometjimess jit helpss to be worrrjied overr, jif onljy forr a ljittle whjile. jI know."

The Madame drew in a thoughtful breath, letting her shoulders rise then slowly fall.

"jYou assked me what brrought me herre frrom Carshoulis, and jI wassn't completeljy honesst about that. Mjy lasst few jyearrss therre werre loneljy, terrrjibljy loneljy. jI don't mean that jI djidn't have frjiendss, acquajintancess, jI've neverr had a sshorrtage of thosse. But jI became a wjidow on Carshoulis - twjice."

With sombre understanding he dipped his head.

"Then you've known the heartbreak twice over."

He sipped from his caf, then held it in his lap as his eyes went back tot he stars.

"... and here I am burdening you with ugly memories."

He made a face, let out a long breath, and took another tentative level from the hot drink.

"I'm sorry."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    He'd misunderstood and Kalleeiha shook her head.

"No, jit's not that wajy at all. Am jI gojing to tell jyou that jI don't hurrt overr lossjing them? No. jI won't get overr that. jIf jyou love them, jyou neverr wjill. But jI'm alsso not brroken. Ssometjimess jit hurrtss, trrue, but jI thjink about everrjythjing good we djid togetherr, and jI'm all the rrjicherr forr jit. Honesstljy, jit helpss to talk ljike thjiss. Ssometjimess a ljittle hurrt jiss okajy."

He sat in silence, digesting her words. They made sense, and he couldn't help but nod.

A slightly rueful grin that seemed to also be a grimace flitted across his features, and he took yet another sip of his caf.

"This station is very lucky to have you, Ma'am."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    "jYourr sson jiss luckjy to have jyou, Arr Dage."

The Madame sipped her tea and set it aside.

"jI neverr had cubss. That moment hass passsed. But jI thjink jI'm a good enough judge of charracterr to know a good parrent when jI ssee one."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast