Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Across The Sea

TheHolo.Net Poster

Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Natacha

Closed Across The Sea

It had been six months since Sebarek and Yoko had move from Brentaal IV to Phindar. While the imperial agent missed their home where they had lived for many years, the change of place might be a good thing. As an agent he was used to travel a lot but he hadn't expected to change base. They were still in imperial territory, so he didn't fear too much for his adolescent daughter. They had discussed the possibility of a private instructor or attending a private school, since they lived in the capital city of Laressa. He had respected his daughter's choice.

Standing from his desk, Sebarek look outside the window. Having worked for enough years to earn a better paycheck, he wasn't going to express issues with the good location of their personal residence. On top of a nearby hill allowing to see all the way to the rain forests far away from Laressa, he valued the calm and quiet. He hadn't traveled as much in the past year, but his new assignment had him supervise a few teams who scouted the unallied systems not far from the imperial border north of Phindar. He had never pictured himself as any sort of instructor but things changed.

He had always done his best for Yoko since he had adopted her, but he'd lie if he said he felt no guilt. It was ironic that he was very confident in his work, and overall in his parenting skills. Yet he hoped that the move would go okay in the long term for his daughter. And he was still adjusting to her being a teenager. It sometimes felt like yesterday when she was but an adorable toddler. Of course, she was still adorable, but also smart, and growing up. The Dalenak-Veros valued giving room for offspring to find their own way, although hard work was always encouraged. His sisters and their parents were always available to Yoko as well, even when two of the quadruplets were married with children now. The Dalenak clan was as tight as ever.

Hearing footsteps in the hallway - his attention always ready to pick on whatever might come up, he looked over his shoulder toward the entrance to his study.
    Last edited by Sebarek Veros; Feb 10th, 2019 at 12:34:17 PM.

AKA
    Lindz
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: LindsayG85 Steam ID: Lindz85
    It had been eleven years since her biological parents had been killed. Eleven years since she was adopted by Sebarek Veros, whom she had called 'Papa' for a long as she could remember. For reasons not fully understood by Yoko, her biological family had chosen to leave the girl to fate and abandoned her. If it wasn't for Papa adopting her as his own, her fate would've been sealed long ago. She was eternally grateful to him for caring for her, even though he didn't have to. He gave her a home and a family that loved her. She knew full well that she was adopted, but young Yoko was never made to feel like an outcast that didn't belong. She had grown from a rambunctious toddler to a determined, independent 13 year old teenager that was starting to find her feet in her ever changing world. She had the best education and extra curricular activities to burn away any boredom possible and it showed in her grades from Brentaal IV, which were all A's. At school, she studied technology, maths and sciences, while outside school, Yoko had music lessons along with gymnastics. She was able to continue such classes and activities on Phindar, but there was one thing Papa insisted that she learned and kept honed... Weapon usage. While Yoko didn't enjoy using such weapons like Blasters, knives, swords and such, the girl did as she was asked and had trained heavily in them since she was 10 years old. She was quite proficient in defending herself now with such weapons though still had some ways to go to be anywhere near as good as Papa. As he would often tell her 'Practice makes progress!' so she would just have to keep training until she got it right.

But training was not a priority at the moment for her. She had just returned home from school and wanted to spend a little bit of time with Papa. Going to the kitchen, Yoko went to the fridge and made herself a fruit salad before having a couple of cans of cola for them both, tucking one of them under her arm and holding the other in her free hand before moving toward the study, where she knew he'd be hiding. She smiled as Papa turned and meet her gaze. Just as well as she threw the can of cola to him announcing it's flight to him with her usual "Look alive! Cola incoming!" She then moved to the spare chair in the study and sat down, kicking off her shoes underneath the desk before crossing her legs on the chair and resting her bowl of fruit salad between them. Taking a bite out of some apple, she offered the bowl to Papa to pick something as she asked "Had a good day Pops?"

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Natacha
    The warning line had Sebarek grin and catch the can with ease. It was one of those father and daughter private jokes he cherished a lot. Opening it, he smirked at Yoko. "When you call me Pops, I always feel ages older than we you call me Papa." He laughed, knowing she likely did that on purpose. They were both utterly serious in their studies and jobs, but they the Dalenak quirky and humorous side. Yoko was growing so much and she was so intelligent. He was very glad that she had an interest in music besides studying. She had a scientific mind and it had blended beautifully with her musical talent. Her aunt Sabriyya had been particularly influential in that. Sebarek wished he had been able to meet a life partner in all these decades but fate had decided otherwise. At least he was relieved that Yoko had grown up with a true family and not just him. As much as he was grateful for their father and daughter bond, it was important to him that she had other close people she could turn to when needed, as he knew how important it was. He was still so close to his quadruplet sisters, and their parents were still a hoot, stern hoot at times, even though the five of them were grown up.

He took a seat on the other side of his desk and opened the can, taking a sip from it. "I did. Busy with too many people needing to learn how to address basic aspects of their job, but it's nothing new, right?" He had heard Yoko want to strangle a few team mates in the past. He valued team work, but dealing with incompetents got on his nerves. For the most part, the imperial system weaned it from morons, but it sometimes required more time than necessary.

"What about you, sweetie? How did this morning' exam go?"

AKA
    Lindz
    Gamer IDs

Yoko grinned when Papa complained of feeling older everytime she called him 'Pops'. Ever since Papa had adopted her, she'd called him Papa to differentiate him from her biological father, whom she'd called 'Daddy' or 'Dad'. It had helped her separate the two, despite no longer remembering neither Mum nor Dad. Her memories of them had long since faded and while it didn't matter much to her before, now that she was a teenager, many questions that could never be answered creeped into her mind. What were they like? Did she look more like her Mum or her Dad? Was her personality more like one or the other or the product of nurture from her adopted family? Forcing them aside as she munched on her fruit salad, she listened as he spoke about having to address the basic aspects of everyone's jobs in his workplace. "Common sense is a rare commodity these days." she said with a cheeky grin. "As Aunt Sabriyya keeps saying 'If brains were dynamite there wouldn't be enough to singe an eyebrow!'. Its a funny quote, though I think I'm starting to see why she uses it so often."

When Papa asked about her day, Yoko seemed to pause in thought for a moment. Today was her music exam and as far as Papa was aware, she hadn't studied for it. The truth was, she really had... Just not at home, and if it was, it was when Papa was away. There was a good reason for it though. Sabriyya had suggested the song on question that she played for her exam and she thought it was so beautiful that she wanted to play it for him, but only when it was perfect. Only when Sabriyya nearly wept did Yoko think she nailed it and the examiner seemed to struggle emotionally too did she think that it was perfect. It truly was a beautiful song. "I nailed it!" she said happily, putting a fist up in the air before pulling it back to her chest. "I made the examiner cry as she commented on how beautiful the song I played was and how well I played it! She gave me an A for it! Means I can surprise you with it and not feel embarrassed that I got a chord or two wrong."

Jumping off her seat, she moved toward the piano at the other end of the study and sat down on the stool. She then danced her fingers across the keys producing beautiful, emotionally charged music that tugged at the heartstrings of those that listened. She had come a long way from the little toddler that banged on keys to create a terrible sound. When she was done playing, she looked over her shoulder towards her Papa and smiled. "What do you think?" she said with a hopeful smile. Was it as perfect as she hoped?

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Natacha
    Sebarek chuckled as Yoko brought up one of Sabriyya's favorite sayings. "Your great-great mother butchered an expression and it turned into this. Lady Aranea Dalenak was very piratey and dynamite-enthusiast for a noble." He grinned for he had such fond memories of his grandmother. A pity she passed away before Yoko was brought into the family, because the two of them would have certainly got along. And she was also quite the accomplished musician, which had passed to two of his sisters, but not much to the rest of the brood. He was so happy that Yoko discovered a passion for music.

Speaking of music, he waited to know how said exam had gone. Being Lorrdian he was gifted with great skills of body language analysis, and tricking one another with his sisters had always been a game with it growing up. Sab had kept up a really good sabacc game, but he had had the distinct impression that Yoko had been up to something in regard to it. He hadn't asked any question because he knew that Yoko not being Lorrdian placed her sometimes in a different position than the whole Dalenak clan. The fact he was also an efficient Intelligence agent had only honed his natural skills. And that was part of his life he hadn't revealed to his daughter yet, though he knew it would come at one point.

He waited for Yoko's answer and he smiled with unabashed pride when she said how successful she had been. He was so happy that his daughter was hardworking and talented. He truly admired her. He chuckled at her explanation. "This is very you. Next thing I'll know you'll be an accomplished spy and no one will have seen it coming." He realized the slight lapse but didn't show anything else in his demeanor, also too engrossed in hearing more about his daughter's performance.

He followed her towards the piano, standing by it, as she played a stunning and moving piece. The rendition was outstanding and he would have probably mused on how natural it was she had got the highest grade, if he wasn't too deep enjoying the song, and struggling against misty eyes.

When she asked him what he thought, he smiled and hugged her tightly. "It was magical, Yoko," he said truthfully.

AKA
    Lindz
    Gamer IDs

Yoko smiled with pride as she melted into her father's hug. His encouragement and approval meant more than anything to her and because of his life and encouragement, she thrived. Yoko knew how lucky she was to have Seb in her life as it could've been so very different. Best case scenario, Yoko would've been sent to a monestary for orphaned children with little hope for a future other than in slavery. Worst case, she'd have been pushing up the daisies long ago. She did often wonder what made him decide to take her underwing and raise her as his own but never asked him for his reasons. In some respects, she didn't really want to know. She was content with her life as is and learned that the past was the past. Didn't matter what it was or what she felt about it, nothing could change it so why worry about it? She had a family that loved her for who she was and for her, that was enough. If her biological family didn't want to know her, then screw them.

"I'm glad you like it Papa." Yoko said happily. "You've no idea how long it took me to get it right. Its been worth it though if you approve."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Natacha
    "I love it. Your musical talent has only bloomed over the past years with your hard work. It is the most stunning I have heard you play, and I might be biased." Sebarek chuckled, though he knew that he had raised Yoko with principles. The Dalenak-Veros-Viniera expected dedication and work was as important as play for them. They overall had a good sense of keeping balanced, albeit sometimes chaotic lives.

"I am glad that school is going well here on Phindar." He had been concerned they would both take longer to adjust, especially Yoko. He was used to adjust on the go, as it had been part of his job for the longest time, since he had worked for Imperial Intelligence for several decades now.

"Also, if time permits, I have something I would be happy for you to do, with the help of one of your aunts...." Little did Yoko know that Sakara was going to visit them for a few weeks very soon. Sakara was the most elusive of the quadruplets, so time with her outside of great occasions wasn't as common as with Sabriya or even Sajita.

AKA
    Lindz
    Gamer IDs

A small chuckle escaped Yoko's lips as he praised her for her hard work. Satisfied that she'd done good work today, Yoko pulled her knees to her chest and spun around to face Papa as he expressed his happiness about her adjustment to school here on Phindar. "I like it!" she said happily. "I've made several new friends here and the teachers are really nice. They actually want to teach class rather than boast about their abilities and try to backstab like those at Brentaal Four. I never really enjoyed school there." Yoko never understood why they insisted on teaching the kids at school about how bad the 'rebel scum' were and how the Empire will crush them. The intelligent girl wanted to learn, not be turned against people for what they were. She didn't care about that. She wanted to simply be herself and decide for herself what she thought about people, 'rebel scum' or otherwise.

As Papa spoke of something interesting, Yoko looked to him with great curiosity and interest. "Oh? What did you have in mind?" she asked. "Something fun?"

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Natacha
    While Brentaal IV had been a good home, the teachers had indeed been quite lackluster in Sebarek's view, even though he had made sure to put Yoko in the best available institution. He valued and served the Empire with all his heart and believed in the Empress and the Bureau, but petty propaganda wasn't something he had much appreciation for. Teaching history, civilization, and nurture the students to think critically was how the system would create more people who would see the value of the Imperial system. Just telling kids "we are the good guys, the others are idiots," sometimes in barely veiled ways, was counterproductive and outright lazy education.

"They were all talk. And if you are so obvious that people see you coming from three parsecs as you aim at backstabbing them, that was definitely not something you should have even tried. And there are way better ways to solve situations."
    As an agent, he had a vast array of making people talk and do as a mission required. He was not against backstabbing per se, which often could be in the eye of the beholder, but there were so many more manipulative options. Backstabbing required elegance and precision, and if lacking either of them, it was barely theatrics.

When Yoko looked inquisitive about what he was hinting at, he smiled warmly.

"We've not been able to do much with some of the house decoration since our move. So I'd be happy if you were interested in working on that outside of school.... With your aunt Sakara."

AKA
    Lindz
    Gamer IDs

Yoko looked at her father with excitement when Papa spoke of Aunt Sakara coming over to help with decorating the house. It had been a long time since she'd seen Sakara and was excited to see her again. "Oh my God! Really?! Of course I'll help decorate and it'll be so cool to have Sakara around! I wonder what she's been up to?" she said excitedly. "When it's she over?"

Yoko was also curious when he spoke of much better ways to solve situations than backstabbing. "Telling the truth really hurts too! Yoko asked. "Remember that time I got put in detention and wouldn't tell you why? It was because I told the Mister Asskov... umm... I mean 'Maskovich' that I wasn't in school to listen to his bullshit stories. He boasted about being a Moff that was praised by the Emperor himself. I considered it unlikely so did a bit of fact checking. Turns out, he never made it to Moff... he was a bilge recruit and got kicked out for 'Accidently killing a Moff while sorting a jammed rifle.' I... may have called him out on that the last time he spilled out his drivel."

Yoko grinned slightly at the memory. Boy did she get into trouble for it but as far as she was concerned, it was so worth it, especially as he never boasted his crap again afterwards.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Natacha
    Sebarek smiled fondly at Yoko's reaction to the news of her aunt visiting, and actually staying for a while, instead of being a mere quick silver coming and going. "She should arrive tonight. We wanted to wait to tell you once you had completed your competition. She has been busy as always, with likely means a lot of work." It ran in the family to spend more time with your career than with your family, except for gathering pulled by their parents who were still set on maintaining traditions. The irony was that none of his quadruplet sisters had children, or even stable significant others. Yoko was the exception, the only Veros of her generation, which was another reason the imperial got to see his family at times, because everyone adored Yoko.

"I remember this story. Telling the truth also has its time and place. Diplomacy and learning to read people and truly understand how to best approach them is crucial to succeed in life, regardless of the professional field you choose." There was much he couldn't tell his daughter, although he was very proud of his own achievements in the Imperial Secret Services. Their work was paramount for the Empire being safe and successful.

"I am glad that you are enjoying Phindar, Yoko. I know it has only been a few months since we arrived. It is too early to know; but we might not stay as long as I had first expected."
    It was still very much up in the air, and he was very intrigued by the possibilities. At the same time, if it meant getting more field work down or more responsibilities besides mostly training new recruits, he would take it.

He felt it was awkward to tell Yoko that since one of his sisters was about to show up and they would redecorate together. "Of course, any new decor accents, or furniture you and aunt Sakara purchases can be applied here as well as somewhere else."
    Last edited by Sebarek Veros; May 2nd, 2019 at 08:08:13 PM.

AKA
    Lindz
    Gamer IDs

Yoko couldn't help but feel disappointed at the thought of leaving her new home so soon after arriving. It almost made the thought of decorating the place in a way they'd like it pointless. "Aww man...and I was thinking maybe I'd go all out on the decorating...even adding a bit of colour..." she sighed with disappointment in her voice. "I guess its all neutrals then until we know what's happening then... No use adding personal touches if we're not around to enjoy them for more than a couple of years."

While she was indeed disappointed at the thought of moving, she was somewhat glad he told her this now rather than dropping the ball after she'd finished decorating. She'd get some decor that were portable for sure, but even she didn't like to be burdened with so much stuff if they were moving from place to place. She sold many of her possessions from Brentaal Four, only keeping the things she needed and what was important to her. Would make the next move so much easier if they had to move again, which now seemed highly likely. In fact, the only things she possessed these days were little things that were meaningful to her... and one thing that Papa said 'should' be meaningful, though at this current time, she failed to see how. It was a picture of her with her biological parents. The only connection she had left to a family that she lost...and a wider family that chose to abandon her. While she did keep the photo in her room, it was often put in a cabinet drawer and left there, buried under her clothes that resided there. The reason for it one would ask? Her answer generally was that she did not want to look at it and think of what life would've been like had her parents stayed alive. She did not want to be reminded of the fact that she was simply discarded by those who should've stepped up to the page and taken care of her. Papa had been a complete and total stranger to her family, yet he had stepped up where they did not. He took her underwing and raised her even though he didn't have to. As far as she was concerned, Papa and his family were her family. Those who abandoned her to fate were cruel people that she wanted no association with. She was happy with her life and didn't want to be reminded of her painful beginnings time after time. In truth, she didn't want to keep the photo but Papa was insistent that she keep it, saying that, one day, she'd regret it if she didn't. Yoko was doubtful of that sentiment but chose not to go against it.

Letting out a small sigh once again, Yoko looked at her Papa and asked, "So, any ideas of what you'd like, whether it be colour or ornamental?"

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Natacha
    Sebarek hadn't expected to be contacted for another position in another section of imperial territory. It was still pretty hush hush; and even him didn't have all the details yet. What he knew was that it was a big deal; the kind of opportunity that might not come around again before a few years if ever; if he didn't make the best of it. He had learned the hard way how luck was only worth what you made of it, and how much hard work was required to keep it going.

His heart ached a bit as he witnessed his daughter's disappointment; though he had preferred letting her know in advance. "I'd love to see you go all out when we know for sure we're somewhere for a good while. I've always enjoyed your sense of color. You definitely take after your grandmother in that regard."

He smiled fondly. While he had encouraged her not to forget her birth family; he had always been happy how the whole Dalenak-Veros clan had welcomed Yoko as one of their own from the very beginning. He was so proud of her. "Also, Aunt Sajita should be able to apply for a transfer in the upcoming year. She said that once we know where we're staying, she'll do her best to be assigned where we live." One of his other sisters had been serving in the imperial Army, mostly as an explosive technician, but also lately as an instructor.

When Yoko asked him for input, he mused over it for a moment. "A few shades of blue might be nice." He looked around the room and shrugged. "I'd be happy to see some nice portable touches that aren't pure steel and sharp lines. If I had wanted that, I'd have enlisted in the military." He had great fondness for the Empire, including its military and its remarkable fleet; but it didn't mean he wanted that look for his home.

AKA
    Lindz
    Gamer IDs

There were times when Yoko couldn't help but wonder what it was her father did that forced them to move around so much, but she was also smart enough to not push the matter despite her curiosity. As a child, Yoko considered her father to be a superhero that saved the galaxy from bad guys. As she grew older, she still considered him to be the best man in the world to her, but her brain was maturing. The bragging her instructors did on Brentaal IV. Force users and rebels were named scum by those same instructors... Yoko's eyes were slowly opening to the truth around her. It was starting to make her conclude that something was amiss, perhaps more than she cared to admit. Were their people really a force of good for the galaxy? There had to be a reason there was a rebellion in the first place... right?

Questions for another day Yoko... now it's not likely a good idea to ask such questions. Yoko chastised herself in thoughts as her father spoke of another of her Aunts being able to apply for transfer soon. A smile pulled on the teenager's face in light of this. She loved seeing her aunts as they always spoilt her and looked out for her and often missed them when they had to move around. She liked Sajita the most, mainly because she didn't sugarcoat her answers and she was the one that taught Yoko to verify everything her instructors bragged about. Technically, it was Sajita's fault Yoko ended up in detention in the first place after Maskovich bragged about being a Moff and Yoko proved otherwise thanks to this lesson Sajita gave her. When Yoko told Sajita of this, she howled with laughter and praised Yoko's smarts, wishing she was 'a fly on the wall' watching that moment. "Careful Papa... you know I'll get up to mischief with Sajita once she arrives right?" Yoko said with a giggle before quietly adding, "I hope she doesn't bring those Cesi..." Yoko shut up suddenly, realising she was probably going to get herself and Sajita in trouble if he heard it all and turned to the holonet to research colours for their walls. "So... what kinds of blue were you thinking of? A pale blue? A bright blue? A blue that 'pops'?" Yoko opened her hands and closed them to emphasise the 'Pop' before shrugging her shoulders, "Or a dark blue that would make the army proud?"
    Last edited by Yoko Veros; Mar 28th, 2020 at 10:36:27 AM.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Natacha
    Sebarek knew that his daughter would have rather stayed put in a given place for a while. He understood that. They had been lucky to live on their previous planet for most of her childhood. It was a lot of changes in a short amount of time for his daughter; but he had faith they would both pull through as a family.

"The good news about the possible new posting is that it would be a long-term one for certain."

It wasn't a given yet; but he had hopes for it, and the other sector was actually a good fit in terms of schools, given the Moff's strong support of educational resources for both students and professors.

He laughed at her remark about Sajita, and quirked a brow at what his daughter tried to stop saying, though a syllable too late. "We don't have a pond for you two to make go boom, young lady. Should I include a secluded one if we move so you and your aunt can make random chemical experiments without risking to tear the house down? Or let's be grand and have a lake house!"

He grinned slightly, for he was only half joking. And he trusted Sajita to keep Yoko safe. And if he got that new position, there would be more money. Even though he didn't have utter luxurious tastes, he loved space and quality.

He caught Yoko's jab at some of the Imperial apparatus; but let it slide for now. He knew she was now a teenager and had gone through recent changes. Time would tell how she fit in the imperial world. Her lineage was imperial and her adopted family were all loyalists too, maybe eccentric, but they all upheld the Empire.

"Bright blue sounds like a perfect option. I like color details that pops," he replied with a smile.

AKA
    Lindz
    Gamer IDs

Yoko couldn't help but cringe as her father caught onto the cesium quip though did snigger a little too. "For the record, I was only seven years old and didn't know what that stuff was nor what it would do!" Yoko said. "I didn't realise it would break the toilet so thoroughly like that..." Yoko couldn't help but grin, however as she added, "Seeing the look on Sajita's face though.... she doesn't know whether to panic, laugh or scold me... it was totally worth it!" Yoko couldn't help but laugh. It was a hilarious memory, though she definitely learned not to mess around with that stuff again.

In regards to the new house if they moved? A large house with a pool sounded nice for sure, but Yoko didn't think it was wise. "A house with a pool would be great, though I think we'd be lonely in a large house with just the two of us... unless you want to bring a lovely lady into the house someday!" she said with a playful wink. "In that case, it'll be wise. That way, I won't get grossed out when you rattle the house!"

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Natacha
    Sebarek laughed and gave a one-arm hug to his daughter. This had been a crazy episode; but definitely in line with the family's history! There was no doubt that Yoko was a true Dalenak-Veros.

"Sajita, and the rest of your aunts, remain extremely proud of these particular shenanigans; even though I got worried sick when hearing about it at first. You did all by yourself something of the level the quadruplets pulled as a team!"

His teenager didn't need any encouragement for experiments; but at the same time the whole clan was known to be thick-headed and want to experiments things for themselves, even when the older generations had to take deep breaths and remember how they had been themselves decades prior.

He was happy that despite dreading an upcoming move, Yoko seemed eager to consider options about it. He couldn't help laughing about her teasing about him eventually getting into a committed relationship. He had had his share of casual partners, but between his job and parenting Yoko, a steady relationship hadn't been in the cards.

"Well now, young lady, I do not plan to gross you out," he teased back with a smirk.

"I am grateful that you're cool with me eventually bringing a lady home to introduce to you."

AKA
    Lindz
    Gamer IDs

Yoko couldn't help but laugh at her father's comments about out doing her aunts with her shenanigans and resting her head on his shoulder as he hugged her. As she pulled back from the hug, she pulled a mischievous grin. "And here I didn't put any effort into it at all. Just my curiosity and my naivety." she said. "Still, I don't plan on pulling a stunt like that again anytime soon... not unless Sajita has something a little more...tame. I think blowing up the toilet is enough excitement.... indoors at least." Yoko winked playfully at at get farther after that little quip. Better to keep him a little on edge in her books. Even at the age of thirteen, Yoko still liked to provide a little mischief in his life. She was his kid after all.

When her father spoke of one day bringing a lady home, Yoko smiled at the thought. She didn't remember ever having a mother figure in her life as her birth family died when she was very young. She had no memories of them, nor of any other members of her birth family. While she didn't let it bother her in her day to day life, Yoko did start to feel irked by their lack of involvement in her life the older she got. Still, she reminded herself that she was lucky. Most kids that lost their families ended up in orphanages or worse, dead or experiments. She was a smart girl and knew full well that she was adopted long before she was told of it. Yoko understood that he'd adopted her after something big had happened that left her parents dead and he owed it to them to protect their little girl and make her his own. Whatever 'big thing' that happened, however was not spoken of, no matter how curious she was. It had to have been something really bad that would prevent him from speaking about it, or something so dangerous that if she caught wind of it, it would put her in great danger too. If there was one thing Yoko took to heart from her father's teachings, however, it was that the truth would come out eventually. Whether she was prepared for it, however was an entirely different matter. For now, ignorance was bliss and as the thoughts turned to how grateful her father was to get Yoko's permission to bring home a lady. "I just want you to be happy is all." she said, pulling a soft smile. "I mean... I'm not exactly a baby anymore Papa and while I know I've a few more years yet before I'm conscripted into the military or something...." Yoko swallowed her words a little. She still hadn't quite been able to find the proper words to describe what she felt at times. She was very much aware that time would eventually mean she'd have to spread her wings... she'd just be much happier inside knowing that her father had someone in his life that both of them cared for. Someone that made him happy in times when she could not.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Natacha
    "Tame? Sajita? In the same sentence? Oh, sweetie, I doubt this will ever happen. But I might have to make sure she stores any explosives at a secure facility when she comes stay with us!"

Sebarek chuckled, so grateful that the whole Veros clan had adopted Yoko as one of their own from the moment he had adopted her. She was the first of her generation and she was spoiled; but also challenged to meet her potential. That was the Veros way. And no one messed with any of their own without getting into dangerous if not deadly trouble. Lorrdians were extremely family-oriented and the Veros were exactly that.

He could see the uneasiness when his daughter mentioned her future when she would have to fly on her own.

"You'll never have to enlist in the military if you don't want to. You can go to university, or start a business, or spend some years to figure out what you want to do. You still have several years before this happen, and I would never force you to leave home until you're ready."

As for finding a partner, he had no idea when that might happen.

"I am sorry you never had a permanent mother figure though. My main focus was you and then work."

He paused, unsure of whether to disclose something else.

"I had opportunities for marriage before and after you came into my life. While the Veros don't generally do such things, it is still common for us Lorrdian to enter marriage as mutually beneficial arrangements rather than a matter of the heart. I just didn't want to do it. If I'm to get married I want it to happen organically."

AKA
    Lindz
    Gamer IDs

Yoko, despite being a young teen, still had childhood worries and fears. As a result, Yoko did need reassurance at times, even if it were for the silliest things. Moving closer, Yoko stood behind her father's chair and wrapped her arms around him in a hug, nuzzling the left side of her face into the right side of his. It was comforting to know that, if she didn't want to, she wouldn't have to join the military. In truth, it was the last thing she wanted to do. Yoko had dreams of helping others, whether it be by healing them of body or mind... Doctor Yoko Veros... yes, that was who she wanted to be. She was working hard in class to fulfil that dream, especially in maths, physics, chemistry and biology and when she wasn't studying hard at those subjects, she studied her music, trained in gymnastics, martial arts and weaponry, mainly for defensive purposes. She did get a day off from lessons each week, which allowed her some time to decompress but in some respects, she wouldn't have it any other way. She enjoyed being busy. It meant there was less time thinking about things that make her sad. Less time thinking about things that could not be changed and more time on the things that could be. "In that case, in ten to fifteen years time, you're going to be Papa to Doctor Yoko Veros!" she said happily. "I want to help heal other peoples wounds and ailments when I'm older."

When it came to Papa not marrying anyone and wanting it to happen organically, Yoko understood that well. It was something she wanted too when she was older. A happy marriage meant a far happier home than one of convenience. "Its the best way to be." Yoko responded. "No one wants to be in a marriage of convenience if you can't get along. Its better for your mental and physical health to let things happen in their own time." She looked to her Papa and grinned at him before hugging him once more."You'll just have to teach me how to do my hair and make-up real nice if we have to go to a social party until then!" she planted a kiss on Papa's cheek before letting go and skipping a couple of steps back. "Oh! And since Auntie Sakara is coming over, I was thinking of making a traditional Lorridian meal for us. Will you teach me how to cook one such meal?" she asked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast