Thread: Star Wars vs Titanic......

Retro Star Wars vs Titanic......

Back in 1999, around the time The Phantom Menace came out, I got this thing called WebTV and it was the first time I had access to the internet. I spent my first days following the BO numbers for TPM in hopes it would pass Titanic which lead me to discover a site called Star Wars vs Titanic. Many of the people on that site would either role play as Jedi or Sith and have "battles". This was a new thing to me at the time and I was very interested in joining in on the fun. My problem was that I never really wanted to be a Jedi or a Sith, but I still wanted to join in. So I called myself Xizor (later Prince Xizor) and started up the Black Sun. My whole role-playing angle was trying to play both sides off of each other. It was a ton of fun at the time. Shortly thereafter most of us moved to a different site called SWfans.net for reasons I do not remember. Then a sort of online Civil War broke out on that site (again for reasons I don't fully remember) and many of us moved again to a new site called CorusantCity.net. Things were good for a decently long time.

However, things started slowing down until it got to the point that there would be days in between new posts. It got to the point where months would go by before I'd check in and see if anything was going on and there hardly ever was outside of maybe a post or 2. Eventually months turned into years and years turned into forgotten. I think the last time I visited the site was over 10 years ago.

Then earlier today, I was reminiscing with an old friend of mine about "back in the day" and we started talking about cc.net and before. I started wondering if it was still around. Curiosity got the best of me so I decide to look and see. I couldn't find the cc.net I used to know, but I was lead to this site and I may be wrong, but I'm thinking this is the evolution of the site that used to be SW vs Titanic almost 20 years ago.

Anyway, if I'm right, hello to anybody that was around back then if you are still here. I may or may not remember you and vise versa, but hello anyways.

If I'm wrong, then hello everybody. I'm the new guy and disregard everything else I just said.

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: W4BSY Steam ID: ApexLupine
    Goodness that's some ancient history!!

SW vs Titanic, CC.net, and TalkCity were all before me; I joined up when Fans was still on ezBoard back in '01.

But yes, you have most certainly found the latest form of SW-Fans! We've branched out a fair bit to include RP setting in the DC universe, Mutants, and a few one-off elements that included a homegrown fantasy setting and Western setting; a lot of it is subject to whatever genre we feel inspired to write. Of course, the bulk of the writing is still Star Wars, and that is most certainly still going on, heh.

We've still got some of the oldies floating around; LoungeLizard/Sanis, LD, Ogre, and a few others.

Welcome back

Been here since April of 99, when it was all on Jawafortress. Welcome!

I was looking through the archived threads and members list to see if any names jogged any memories. And I found some familiar names such as Darth Turbogeek, Yog (whom I believe was called Yoghurt at one time), Lady Vader, and Mu Satach (what I remember most about her was her love of Bruce Campbell). I also saw the name Marzullo, but the first name of the dude I remember wasn't Thol though, but Itala. He ran the Sith back in the day. Ogre also sounds familiar and I defiantly remember the name Lounge Lizard. I don't remember you though Charley. I'm assuming you went by something else then. A few names I remember that I didn't see are Gasgano, Jedi Master Princess, Tosha Ewok Spy (sadly I remember her passing away from cancer I believe), and Jinn Fizz. There was another guy that was something Vader or Vader something that also passed away. There was also some guy whose name I don't remember, but his flavor text was something like "Titanic killed my cat".

But anyway, I'm gonna check out the rules, tutorial, and whatnot over the next few days and see how things work now.

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Charley is LL

LV, Turbogeek, Yog, and Jinn (she changed her name to Rutabaga about... 5-7 years back iirc) are all still about, though pretty much exclusively on Facebook. Mu still posts here on occasion, though it's mostly blog posting. Itala came back for a little bit, then left again; I see him on Facebook every so often. Beldarine came back for a small bit as well, but I talk to her mostly on Facebook.

I very vaguely recall a Gasgano, but beyond that nothing.

If you have any questions about stuff, just ask and we'll be more than happy to clarify anything you need

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    Hey Xizor - I don't know if you're going to come back and check this thread again but we do have a history of the board typed up in our wiki!

https://www.sw-fans.net/wiki/index.php/Sw-Fans_History

I started here about a year after everything got going, I think in the fall of 2000, on the swvstitanic ezboard. And of course a few years ago we 'rebranded' ourselves from SW-Fans to The Holonet... although we all still call it SWfans

oh what a tangled web I weave

Hi Xizor, I remember you , I think we used to chat in CoruscantCity.Net's gaming forum about Baldur's Gate? You probably won't see this message but thought I'd say hello anyway.

CoruscantCity.Net remained online for years albeit in a dormant state but finally disappeared sometime in late 2016 (not sure when exactly, I just remember trying to go there to see if there was any discussion of Rogue One and found it was no longer online). As others have said above this place is the original SW vs. Titanic renamed SWFans.Net renamed SW-Fans.Net renamed TheHolo.Net.

"A Jedi must remain focused. Mastery of the Force requires that all unnecessary activities be purged from daily life."

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

I made a thing, and will be further mining Atreyu's write-up in the wiki about our history for to make more things ^_^
    Attached Images Attached Images

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

I am excited! I love it!

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    I'm old.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I'm a doctor, not a Jedi, Jim! What you're asking for is impossible! Oh, wait, I am a Jedi.

Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Kaman
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MiriyaCailis Steam ID: Gyndar
    Yeah. I think a lot of us are feeling old now. I mean, heck, I started RPing on TalkCity when I was 15 and I'm 35 now.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Inappropriate for Public Consumption
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

Me? Old? Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

You were “old” twenty years ago, Mark