Thread: The HoloNet Recipe Sharing Thread

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: W4BSY Steam ID: ApexLupine

Food The HoloNet Recipe Sharing Thread

Strangely enough, I don't think we've had an official recipe sharing thread before, and if we did, it is most certainly lost to the ages!! Which is why I will revive it with a whole new thread!

Do you have a recipe that you want to pass on, or think that others will enjoy? This is where to post it ^_^

I'll start off with my Cajun Crawfish and Alligator Stuffing. This started as a cornbread stuffing recipe of my mom's, but after being in the South for a rather long time, I have modified it pretty extensively. Now, I understand some folks won't be able to get some of the ingredients I use (like the gator or crawfish), so I'll even include the base recipe for others to tweak in their own fashion

Please note! This recipe is very much to taste, so I'll be listing the amounts that I normally use.

Mama Kim's Basic Cornbread Stuffing

Ingredients:

• 1/2 of a large white onion, finely chopped
    • 4 stalks of celery, sliced to whatever thickness you want
    • 1/2 loaf of bread
    • 2 cups self-rising Cornmeal (yellow or white)
    • 1/2 cup of AP flour
    • 3/4 cup of whole Milk
    • 3/4 cups of Buttermilk
    • 1 egg, lightly beaten
    • 1/2 cup of rendered bacon fat, 7 tablespoons of melted butter, or 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
    • Chicken stock
    • Thyme
    • Basil
    • Oregano
    • Parsely
    • Sage

Making the cornbread:

- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
    - Mix the cornmeal and the flower, and pour in the milks slowly while stirring.
    - While you're doing that, put the bacon fat into a preheated skillet and let it get hot for about 5 minutes or so. If you don't do pork stuff (<3 you, Morg), mix the vegetable oil into the mixture instead. Make sure that if you don't use bacon fat, coat the entire inside of the cast iron with butter so that it doesn't stick.
    - Add in the egg and continue to stir until it's consistent and there aren't any flour clumps.
    - Pour the cornbread mixture into the cast iron skillet and put into the oven.
    - Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown. Pull it out, then just turn over the skillet onto a clean cutting board, and the cornbread should fall out. If you do end up with chunks that stick, don't worry; you'll be crumbling it up anyway so it's not a problem at all - just scrape it out into a clean mixing bowl.

Now! While your cornbread is baking, toast up your bread slices, then once that's done break them up into chunks.

In your clean mixing bowl, combine the bread chunks with the cornbread crumbles and give everything a good hand-stirring to mix it up well. If you end up needing two bowls, that's fine; I usually have to do that myself.

Continuing with the hand-mixing, add in your celery and onion, and then the herbs to taste.

With your turkey ready to stuff, cram as much of the stuffing into the body cavity as you can.

Once that's done, grab a casserole dish and put the rest of the stuffing into that. Pour in a good amount of chicken stock, then cover with tin foil and stick it in the fridge. You don't put it in the oven until the last hour of the bird's roast. Once you reach that last hour, go ahead and slide it into the oven. About 15 or so minutes before everything is done, pull it out, remove the foil, then put some little hunks of butter over the top in different places, and slide it back in without the foil.

Technically, what's in the baking dish is more on the dressing side of dishes, but that's fine.

And that's the basic recipe; feel free to modify it however you want!

Cajun Crawfish and Alligator Stuffing

• 1/2 of a large white onion, finely chopped
    • 4 stalks of celery, sliced to whatever thickness you want
    • 2 cups self-rising Cornmeal (yellow or white)
    • 1/2 cup of AP flour
    • 3/4 cup of whole Milk
    • 3/4 cups of Buttermilk
    • 1 egg, lightly beaten
    • 1/2 cup of rendered bacon fat, 7 tablespoons of melted butter, or 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
    • Chicken stock
    • Thyme
    • Cajun seasoning
    • 1 pack of precooked crawfish tail meat
    • 1 pack of gator tail meat

Cornbread prep is the same, except you have the addition of the Cajun seasoning; so, go ahead and mix that in with your cornmeal and flour.

While the cornbread is cooking, cook up the gator in a non-stick pan with butter, light salt, and pepper. Once it's done, put it on a plastic cutting board and cube it up. Don't worry if you think it's underdone, it still has a round in the oven to make, so that will take care of that!

Get your mixing bowl and crumble in the cornbread, adding in the onions, celery, crawfish meat (with the juice!), and the gator cubes. Note that there isn't any loaf bread in this recipe; this version of the recipe actually benefits from no loaf bread.

Stir in the thyme.

Like before, stuff what you can into the bird, then the rest into a casserole baking dish.

Everything else from that point on is the same as far as cooking

And there you have it! I don't have any pictures sadly, but Charley had a good idea for furthering the Cajun theme even more, so when we test kitchen that one, I'll be sure to take pictures of the method and put them up in here.

I have other stuff I want to write out, like my Dip Day monstrosities and eventually my pasta sauce, but I want to see some of everyone else's recipes first!

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    Sous Vide Steak Fajitas

Total time: 2:30 to 3:30 hours
    Cook time: 2-3 hours
    Active time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:

Sous Vide device (Anova or similar) and container suitable for immersion circulation
    flank Steak or similar
    1 lime
    1 small can of chipotles in adobo
    kosher or sea salt

Optional:
    Any other fajita fixin's your heart desires. Or skip it altogether, you carnivore.

Pre-heat water bath to 132 F or 56 C.

Take a flank steak and lightly salt. Partially seal the steak in a vacuum bag or gallon freezer bag. Squeeze half a lime into the bag. Squeeze the other half of the lime into your beverage of choice. Open the chipotles and dump the contents of the can into the bag. Work contents thoroughly across the steak. Remove air from the bag either by vacuum device or submersing the freezer bag and pushing the air out. Place the bag into the water and let it cook for 2-3 hours.

Within 15 minutes of completion in the water bath, pre-heat a cast iron skillet as hot as you can get it. Also pre-heat a non stick skillet or small pot to a simmer. Remove the steak from the bag and finish on the skillet with 1 minute on each side. Set aside on the cutting board to cool. Empty the liquid contents and the peppers into the small pot or non-stick skillet and reduce to taste. I did this once where the sauce was both incredibly good and painful to eat.

Slice the steak against the grain, you barbarian. Add reduction to taste.

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Nzat
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nikita Satach Steam ID: Nzat
    Cheesy Pesto Chicken & Vegetable Stuffed Spaghetti Squash

Ingredients

1 large or 2 medium-small spaghetti squash
    2 chicken breasts, chopped in 1-inch pieces
    ˝ cup pesto, extra to taste
    1-2 cups fresh baby spinach, torn/chopped
    1 extra large carrot, shredded or chopped
    ˝ onion, chopped
    1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
    Salt and pepper to taste
    8 oz shredded cheese
    1-2 TBSP fresh parsley to garnish (optional)
    Instructions

1. Cook spaghetti Squash*
    2. Chop chicken into bite sized pieces and toss with pesto and then cook. Set aside.
    3. In a small pot, heat a drizzle of olive oil to medium-high heat and sauté your bell pepper and carrot for a few minutes until tender. Next add the spinach and the cooked pesto chicken and stir to wilt the spinach.
    4. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
    5. Next add your cheese to the hot mixture. Mix a little over half the cheese in with the chicken and veggies and save the rest for topping.
    6. To stuff the squash, you can simply pile on your pesto chicken and veggies or fluff the squash first with a fork and then mix the pesto chicken mixture with the squash.
    7. Garnish with fresh parsley and/or basil leaves and dig in!

*Cooking methods:
    – Microwave whole (poke holes or it will explode) for 20 minutes
    – Microwave in half: put a little water in the bottom of you dish and cook for 8 minutes
    – Oven at 450 for 20-40 minutes depending on size

"I think of my body as a side effect of my mind." - Carrie Fisher

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: W4BSY Steam ID: ApexLupine
    Is there a particular cheese you prefer? Like, shredded sharp cheddar, or moz, or parm or pepper jack? Do you think a goat or sheep cheese will sub in?

I really want to try this, but the only way I'd be able to is with something like Chevre, Pecorino, Berkswell, or Manchego.

I'm still going to attempt it if not, and just suffer the consequences because man, that sounds so amazing

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/...shredded-pork/

Best pulled pork recipe I’ve used. Good every time and great on everything.

oh what a tangled web I weave