Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Theory of the Force

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: W4BSY Steam ID: ApexLupine
    They were starting down a road that Zem had warned her of, and s'Il blinked as she thought on her response. It was difficult to send through a filter of patience, considering she had been involved in the old madman's death. She knew how terribly the sickness of pride had eaten away at his mind, and how it had turned him into a monster.

"For some, those roads did indeed lead to the Temple. But not all."

She gave a bare frown then, as she went on.

"Master Davola was quiet the times that I saw him, but he was also very knowledgeable and kind."

TheHolo.Net Poster

Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Charley
    "He carried with him a great knowledge of the history of the Jedi and the force." Zem added, spearing a bite of food but being noncommittal about it.

"Knowledge is also tempered by one's experiences. You may say that all roads lead to the temple, but by that point you can also say that from the temple, roads can lead anywhere. I think you'll find among those who survived that no two paths are the same."

"Like the two of you," she mused idly, her eyes going from Master Vymes to the Captain, then back to Master Vymes.

"Did you know back then, that you would be here, now? Master Davola used to tell me that he could see the future through the Force, and had told me that he'd foreseen my family's arrival on Helska IV years before it happened."

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

"Core be blown, no," she couldn't help but chuckle. It was a bit of light-heartedness that she allowed herself, since the subject matter was decidedly deep. It would do no one any good to maintain too serious of an outlook here, now, over lunch.

"As a matter of fact, I found Master Vymes to be completely insufferable all those years ago, and was convinced that he would get himself killed within a week of the Sieges."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    Zem conceded that point with a smile and a nod towards Lok, but he was thinking about the larger question Farran had asked.

"There are those among us with a talent for foresight. Sometimes, it can appear clear and plain. Other times, we only see a part of the full view. It is one of the most difficult things a Jedi can comprehend, because the future is not a static thing. It exists in frames of possibility - moving and shifting and becoming all the time. The future changes as we ourselves change."

"Oh."

With a piece of whatever it was Master Vymes had made on her fork, Farran brought it to her mouth. She chewed as she thought, and after swallowing, speared another bite.

A question nagged at her, then, and she looked squarely to Master Vymes.

"Did your master ever... try to show you... how to see the future?"

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Now that was an interesting question, but not for what exactly Farran had asked. An inquisitive look was sent to Zem in that moment, as she swallowed her own mouthful, and s'Il allowed herself the informal act of resting an elbow on the table, and her chin in her hand as she looked intently at him.

"And while we're at it, who exactly was your master?"

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    Zem pivoted his head deliberately at Lok, arching an eyebrow at her question.

"You never knew who I trained under?"

A moment passed. Nothing.

"Huh."

Vymes turned his attention back to Farran.

"Well, something new for you both then. I trained under Master Saessee Tiin. As far as seeing the future went, I think the furthest we went in depth on the matter was being half a second ahead of a missile when in the cockpit of a starfighter."

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

"You were a knight when we first met," she mused idly, taking in this bit of news with interest.

"... and as such, the matter of your tutelage never... came up."

Was it that strange notion of Fate that so many Jedi and Sith clung to? That both of their masters had gone to confront Darth Sidious, and were both killed by that mad, dark creature? For her, it was a fairly interesting coincidence.

"Hm."

It was an almost airy sound as she looked upon him in a new light. It was refreshing.

"Master Tiin was a consummate swordsman."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    "Well," Zem chewed on the thought as he chewed a bite of food. Eventually, he settled on the downplay, "We can't all be attentive students."

He couldn't fully commit, however, and a little smile creased on his face.

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

It was a strange expression that she gave him in that moment, and s'Il couldn't help the look of feigned admonishment, though the glint in her eye was the true telling of her amusement at his words. She herself allowed the corners of her lips to turn up just a small bit, and the Lupine finally gave a shake of her head as she returned to her food.

"Well, be all of that as it may, I think that this new revelation is quite enlightening."

She turned her attentions to Farran, then.

"Tell me, has Master Vymes blindfolded you and made you run through the woods yet? Or perhaps thrown overripe fruit at you?"

She was in the middle of chewing, but the Captain's question was enough to catch her slightly off-guard, and she stopped for a brief moment before hurriedly swallowing.

"I... no?"

Blinking as she looked from one to the other, her eyes finally settled upon her master.

"Will you be throwing fruit at me?"

It was a perplexing notion, and a shade less austere than what Master Davola had told her of the Jedi.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    Zem's expression went unreadable as he turned over another forkful on his plate.

"We've already established that I'm only so skilled at seeing into the future."

He relented with a smile, taking another bite.

"Teaching finds yourself alive in the moment. If you're asking if I have a curriculum, young Farran, I'm afraid I'll have to disappoint you. I doubt you'll disappoint me, however. What I've learned this far along is that it isn't just what you teach, but how. Everyone responds differently."

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Her meal was half-finished, and the Lupine kept her words to herself, instead opting to chew, swallow, and enjoy the meal that Zem had prepared. She looked at Farran from over the tops of her eyes, curious about the girl's reaction.

Again she was stumped, and her expression pinched into one of unsure thought. The first stages of unlearning everything she had ever been taught was... arduous.

"As you say," she finally got out.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    "Is it?"

Zem raised an eyebrow in curiosity. Setting aside his utensil for a moment, he laced his fingers together in front of his plate.

"You sound uncertain. Talk out your conflict. What's holding you back?"

"Not conflicted," she said around a mouthful, and swallowing, Farran went on.

"Just curious."

Her fork stilled, as she pursed her lips in thought.

Eventually, she found herself at a point where those thoughts had coalesced into something she could put to words.

"Am I supposed to forget everything I learned from before? Whatever you teach me now, is that what I should've learned from Master Davola?"

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    "If you forget what you've learned, you are imperiled to make mistakes that wisdom wards you against. No, what you have learned from Master Davola is important. It is the background into which you were formed. However, we all must continue to learn. That eternal pursuit makes us better Jedi - better people."

Zem smiled, looking from Loklorien to Farran.

"I see a lot of similarities that bind you. When I taught Loklorien, she herself carried knowledge from her former master that often times was at odds with my own experiences. I did not assert myself. I offered what I could give and what could be learned, and trusted my student to grow with it."

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

She only offered a fleeting, ghostly smile at his last words, and s'Il allowed herself to sit back in her seat for a few moments. Her fork was set down, and she pulled in a long breath, as if she was relishing the words in the air as much as the scents swirling through her olfactory senses. All of this was fascinating in a way, to see now, from the outside, how Zem chose to go about teaching a student.

She could still remember so many long years past, of their time on Pakuuni, in the small hut and the days spent learning. Happiness, frustration, melancholy, contentment, there had been many emotions found there, as well as many lessons learned. Lessons she could never forget. Lessons that she had grown from.

"What you learn before will always be with you. It learns to meld with what you learn after,. It is a unique understanding that belongs to no one but yourself."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    "Farran, when we first met, you were scaling a cliff. That was what Master Davola taught you. And though I may disagree with some of his teachings, there's a fulsome kernel of understanding in focus an perseverance that you were taught early on."

The Jedi Master laced his fingers together in front of him.

"Doing what is hard to do, this distills who you are. Almost every task that is worth doing is hard."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast