Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Finer Points

TheHolo.Net Poster

Death to the enemies of the Empress is mandatory. Pants are optional.

Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Charley

Imperial - Open The Finer Points

Most Imperial Knights, when granted a furlough, tended to escape the confines of the Citadel, seeking to use their well-earned free time cavorting in the seas of sentient life through Coruscant's entertainment districts. For Matatek Sel Vissica, she found her escape in the Citadel library. Here, she was free to study things that did not necessarily relate to any specific mission. Things less practical than combat doctrine, interrogation methods, and restricted force teachings. For the Selonian, this meant books on anthropology and sociology, covering some two dozen species. Her reading table was further burdened by even less-practical material such as works of fiction. It was an impossibly large collection, one that would take a considerable amount of time to go through. Never easily daunted, Vissica set about the task, burying her nose in one text on Courtly Behaviors of Sho-Torun. She ignored the other denizens of the library, even as most were in the process of tidying up their books to prepare for their own planned furloughs.

Vissica calmly licked one of her finger pads, and flipped the holoflimsi page of her book.

Downtime was not something a Cadet took lightly, though Jensen supposed each had their own ways of taking advantage of it. The sparse moments of time were meant for relaxation in whichever ways the next generation of Knights found prudent and he didn't dare attempt to make assumptions as to what the other Cadets were getting up to, though he couldn't help but speculate that he was better off right where he was - the library.

He didn't consider himself a bookwurm per-say, but reading was one of those small enjoyments that were utterly private to ones self. Jensen wouldn't go so far as to say it was an escape from reality, but there was no denying the simple pleasure that could be found in sitting with a fine well-written novel.

Today, however, he wasn't looking for anything in particular. He wasn't even certain if the Citadel's open sources of knowledge and literature would even include fiction. That was fine, there were plenty of resources that the cadet was bound to find of interest.

The most curious and fascinating thing that Jensen stumbled upon, however, turned out to be none other than the Selonian Knight - Lady Vissica. He didn't find it curious that she was here with a large stack of material before her, but more that his curiosity was beckoning him to actually disturb her. Curious indeed.

The cadet wasn't an utter fool, however. A direct approach wouldn't entirely be appreciated, he surmised. Though, that was only in reflection of his own desires to be left be when in such a situation and it certainly appeared the Knight had more than enough to keep her interests occupied and demand that others grant her a moment of peace.

To intrude or not... The eternal question. Though perhaps one that could stand an answer this day. He settled for casual observation, a glance over to see if he could read the spines of the tomes she had selected to see if they would over an avenue first. If nothing else, perhaps he would find inspiration for his own reading selections.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    There were seventeen greeting waltzes in the Sho-Torun aristocratic class - each with its own meaning, and several with implied meanings that a host might announce to project a certain mindset. For the Yaristosa, it was customary...

For the Yaristosa...there were seventeen waltzes...

She had read this same paragraph three times now. Three times! She wasn't retaining any of it, because there was something else pushing into her awareness, and...

Vissica sucked in a sharp inhaled breath through her nose and slammed her book closed. With each paw pressing against the book between them, the Selonian's doll eyes remained fixed on the tightly-bound span of pages.

"I can feel your eyes on me."

The Knight let the book fall to the table on its cover, finally making eye contact with the source of her present irritation.

"What do you want?"

Such a simple question really shouldn't have given anyone any great consideration. A person went through motions and actions due entirely for a desire for a specific outcome. In this case, Jensen had no doubt of the very here and now nature of the Knight's question, but he couldn't help but muse on it in it's entirety. What did he want?

"Insight." The word wasn't nearly as definitive as he had wanted, but it would do. "Though towards what in particular right now? I haven't quite decided."

He didn't feel particularly ashamed of his being caught. It was a risk he had taken and given the very nature of most of the individuals within The Citadel, those that had earned the right to call themselves Knights especially, to think he would have gone completely unnoticed was foolish.

"Not that I expected you to exactly aid me in that effort. I'll be honest, my intent was not to disturb you. At least, not yet."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    Selonians did not emote in the anthropomorphic sense, and it was generally difficult for aliens to discern mood from their facial expressions. At a neutral state, the consensus was that they seemed stern or put-off or frowny. The misconception hadn't bothered Lady Vissica in the slightest since she had come to live among aliens. In fact, it served a kind of purpose. Of course, there were tells in mood if one were inclined to look. The general array of the whiskers was a giveaway. Splayed wide, they conveyed interest, curiosity, and engagement. Quavering could mean tension or anger. Drooped low was a good indication of annoyance.

Vissica's whiskers drooped particularly low at the moment.

"If there is not a purpose to our meeting, then you should leave."

If Jensen was like the other Cadets, then he would take the hint and vanish. Vissica's eyes drifted back to her book. In a thoughtful moment, she gently tugged at one side of whiskers with her finger and thumb, then looked back to Jensen with her whiskers now at broad array.

"Wait. I require your assistance."

She scrutinized the human, black eyes narrowing slightly as her posture straightened in her seat.

"Do you know how to dance?"

It should have bothered him how his face was unable to remain neutral, how he couldn't stop the series of conversations and images from flickering behind his vision.

Just because Mom and Dad don't know what you are, Jens...
    If you're going to play normal you need to learn these things and one day, you're going to find yourself in a situation and then you'll thank me!
    Maybe you'll even impress a
    girl.

Evie, this is
    ridiculous.

There hadn't been many perks to being the younger sibling and most days his far elder sister had seen it quite fit to just attempt to ignore his very existence. But there were times, when she had to mind to try and embarrass as much as help, Evelyne had stepped in with certain choice advice. All of it had been made to make him seem less like a freak, as she had so put it. Their family hadn't exactly been high society, but there had been a fundraising gala or two that the Par'Vizal had made an appearance at before everything had fallen apart. He'd only been a child then, but there had been others his age in attendance and as much as he had loathed his sister's methods, her teachings had helped him perform to expectations.

Dragging himself back to the present was more difficult than Jensen wanted, the clammy skin and shameful awkwardness of his dancing partner at the last fête had decided to stick with him a bit too vividly. A shudder that chafed against his Cadet uniform was the final tug needed to bring him fully back to the library and the Knight who was awaiting his answer in a span that seemed like ages to the boy, but was nothing more than a pair of quick seconds.

"Yes, Lady Vissica."

It was only after he answered that the curiosity of the question grabbed at him. Jensen kept his tone respectful as was demanded between their stations, but couldn't stop the slight narrowing of his eyes as his mind already began to ponder over what it could mean that he had been asked such a thing.

"Why?"

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    "I am studying the courtly dances of Sho-Torun. I have read enough of the process to have an academic understanding, but I need a practical demonstration of these waltzes to understand their nuance."

Vissica punctuated her sentence with a brief pass of her tongue along the cleft of her upper lip.

"For this, I require a dance partner."

The Selonian took a purposeful two strides away from the desk.

"Are you familiar with the Garevall Dross Gathering Waltz? I wish to begin with this dance."

Jensen prided himself on knowing a great many things, but as the universe was oh so kind to point out at times, he didn't know everything.

He had studied enough to know the names of most of the planets that found themselves under the banner of the Galactic Empire, but there was a blank where there should have been at least an article on Sho-Torun. The name itself was familiar, but nothing else. It must have been skipped over, not even spared a casual glance. The Cadet silently cursed himself for the oversight - something to rectify, at least he had that opportunity at his fingertips, even if not at that very moment.

"I'm afraid I am not," Jensen reluctantly admitted.

He knew he was digging himself into a very strange shaped hole, the words dance partner that had been uttered by the Selonian Knight were far from lost on him. Still, he knew better than to lie or withhold information, from this particular superior member in particular.

"I may, however, know of something that may be passably similar. I'm afraid I don't know the proper name for it, but it is a waltz that is frequently used among those who bother with such things here on Coruscant."

Yes, this particular chasm his mouth was so keen on excavating was going to be very strange indeed.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    The disappointment in Vissica registered as a low, but not pointed growl. She rolled her shoulders, as if shrugging it away.

"What is the purpose of this Coruscanti waltz?" She asked, when presented with an alternative.

"It is my understanding that dances serve as rituals to promote certain behaviors in humanoids. Dances can be done in greeting, as a display of gratitude, or as signaling in a mating ritual."

She thoughtfully tugged at the tuft of fur at her chin, and looked down at Jensen.

"A Coruscanti dance would prove useful to integrate among the subjects of Imperial Center. Show me."

He wasn't certain there was much to the waltz he had been taught aside from wasting time or embarrassing children at social events. Then again, Jensen hadn't exactly come to any full conclusion regarding such events as more than something individuals did as an excuse to flaunt their perceived status and power, all the while losing themselves to inebriation. The dances themselves serving as distraction from their otherwise meaningless existences.

True, such displays could have meaning in other cultures. But here on Coruscant? Whatever meaning could be gleaned was lost in play acting and pretend that it had a purpose other than to simply be. Thankfully he didn't have to attempt to explain this to Lady Vissica and perhaps insult her in some manner. Holding his tongue was wise at times like this, a lesson he had received from Lord Jibral on his first day at the Citadel. However it was the Selonian Knight's continued inference that saved him from such a thing. Saved and doomed all in one swift blow.

Show me. The sheer discomfort of the request he buried deep. The Cadet was more than willing to do as he was told by his betters, but this...

"Here?" He offered in way of counterpoint. "The library hardly has the required room. I do not think those who keep the tomes and isles in order would appreciate anyone blundering into them or treating this place like a ballroom."

Good. It wasn't an outright refusal and if the Knight so designated, Jensen would choke down whatever sense of wrongness or pride and do as instructed anyway, but he did hope that the Lady would see the wisdom in his objection.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    Jensen brought up good points. They annoyed her. They inconvenienced her. But they were still good points. The Selonian's small ears pressed against her skull in irritation but just as quickly relented.

"Very well. Perhaps this is not the correct venue. Some other time, perhaps."

Vissica moved to return to her seat, but she paused, looking back to the cadet.

"Wait. There is perhaps something else you can do for me. Understanding dance is merely one problem I am dealing with, and perhaps only symptomatic of the whole. I must learn to understand humans better."

If he had not been standing among the tomes and collected works of the Citadel, if one of the most infamous of it's Knights had not been the one to say such a thing, if Jensen had even thought he might get away with it, he would have laughed.

Understand humans better, well... That made two of them, didn't it? Par'Vizal had spent his entire life trying to observe, to understand that which - whatever was faulty within him - prevented the boy from picking up on such cues in the natural way that seemed to possesses most others. Granted, he had the benefit of actually being raised among his intended camouflage, he had experienced the social cues ad nauseam, enough that he could begin to describe them in details that most wouldn't ever pick up on - the way a lip curled when a smile was genuine rather than forced, the slight gestures that could indicate sincerity, the way someone's eyes could give away if they were experiencing pain from humiliation from excitement.

They weren't things he had ever expected to try and explain, however. Putting all that knowledge into words; well, that would certainly be a challenge. And to further explain why he knew these things, what was fundamentally wrong at his core as the reasons... With any luck that could just be glossed over.

"That I can do. Or, at least I certainly hope so."

The Cadet eyed the Knight with a certain respectful yet expected amount of consideration. Where to start without offending the likes of Lady Vissica?

"What can I make an attempt to explain first?"

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    "Everything."

Vissica painted with the broadest brush, then paused, as if knowing that she needed at least some clarification.

"That is to say, whatever you feel is important to remark on. On Selonia, drones are given a task to perform from birth. Only a few individuals are trained in languages, social etiquettes, and alien cultures. I was raised as a warrior. When the Knight General found me, I was given as much training in a short time to speak your language and to understand the military systems of the Empire."

She paused, wetting her lips with her tongue.

"I require a greater understanding. Humans enjoy a status of primacy in the Empire and make up the largest percentage of the population. It makes sense that I learn to understand them first."

"Humans are complicated. To actually understand them would take... Well, at least a lifetime, perhaps longer."

Everything. He wasn't making an effort to be difficult, but when faced with an enormous, possibly impossible task, it was wise to know your limits. Just like it was wise to not try and explain everything at once. Jensen didn't exactly expect that was precisely what Lady Vissica intended of him, but there were too many subjects to broach, even if he were to mirror her words and begin with language or social etiquette they could be in the library for days and not even begin to exhaust all areas of interest.

"One of the first lessons I learned here were that generalizations were dangerous, vagueness a waste of time."

He left the specific teacher's name unmentioned, no doubt if the cadet earned Vissica's ire for his forthright comments, it wouldn't exactly do to paint a giant target on Lord Jibral's shoulders as the one who had taught the boy such things. Not that it took a great deal of effort to figure out who had influenced Jensen's earliest thoughts about what it meant to become a Knight in the Empress' service. Still, at least the effort was made.

"So, I do mean this will all due respect, but you will need to be specific. You mentioned dancing earlier, seconded mentioning etiquette as important to your own society, maybe that is where we should begin? And since that alone could fill an entire library," Jensen paused to gesture - if only slightly - to the room they were in. "Perhaps addressing any concerns or things you have witnessed here within the Citadel would be best."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    The question gave Vissica pause, and the giantess crossed her arms over her chest, pivoting slightly away from eye contact as she considered Jensen's demand for clarification. A salient issue gradually floated to the top of her mind.

"Three times in the past week, I have encountered Cadet Hoob in passing. Each time he has said something infuriating to me, wishing me greeting and commenting that the weather on Coruscant today is lovely. Why would he say such a useless thing? There is a climate control grid that governs the weather patterns of Imperial Center, so good weather is a guaranteed constant. What is the point of mentioning it?"

Naturally it was Hoob, the very paragon of baffling humanity at it's finest that Vissica had chosen to use as an example. The Knight hadn't been the only one that Jensen's fellow cadet had turned that beam of optimism at. In truth, Jensen found himself confused by Nebbil's presence within the Citadel. The boy wasn't utterly inept, yet was infuriating all the same.

The sigh that Jensen felt leave him, the sort that almost growled with irritation, came before he could prevent it.

"Yes, about that."

Well, it was a good enough place to begin as any, he supposed.

"Not everyone feels so inclined, but outside of this arena, in perhaps a typical setting, such things are considered... Small-talk. A way of greeting and attempting to bring up something pleasant that both parties can relate to. It's an attempt to connect or simply greet."

He felt his eyes threatening to roll but Jensen managed to keep himself contained. His own personal opinions on such things weren't what the Knight wanted, after all. However...

"And yes, it is as pointless as you believe it to be, but it is considered polite. Though most would keep such commentary short and not nearly add the enthusiasm that Cadet Hoob does."

Jensen shrugged in some sort of display to hopefully absolve himself of the actions of his fellow human.

"In his case, however, I believe it may be quite genuine. He honestly believes such commentary will improve your mood if not just your viewpoint of that particular day. It's naive, if not commendable, I suppose."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    The Selonian Knight said little. She was struggling to keep up. Her small gimlet eyes flicked left and right as she weighed Jensen's interpretation.

"I...see." she commented, if only to populate the dead air left by her delayed understanding. The musteloid's heavy brows knit, raised, lowered, then relaxed.

"I...suppose...Cadet Hoob's commentary isn't dishonest on it's face, though his intent is...less than direct."

She took in a deep breath.

"I understand. I think. Commendable. Very commendable. I would not consider such an unorthodox method to shore up morale and unit cohesion."

The more she thought about it, the more Vissica seemed comfortable in this new mental skin. She nodded deeply.

"Yes. Very commendable. Perhaps I will draft a list of suitable small talk subjects myself. Do you have any recommendations?"

Watching the Knight process what he said was fascinating, even illuminating as she connected dots in a way he hadn't before. Morale and unit cohesion. If nothing else, it seemed some of the cadets had indeed bonded over mocking Hoob, so perhaps there was something to it, even if the end results were not perhaps the ones that Hoob was aiming for. It left Jensen pondering if maybe, just maybe Hoob actually was aware of this and had opted to keep himself the verbal punching bag of their group just for the reason that it gave the others something to find fellowship in.

Then again, that line of thinking would give Nebbil Hoob more credit than was due. The boy hadn't exactly shown himself to be shrewd enough to be capable of such insight.

It was something to ponder over later, however. For now, Jensen had other things to set his mind to. What forms of small talk could Lady Vissica benefit from? Talk of the weather was beneath her, asking how someone's day was or how they were would no doubt come off as suspicious and put most cadets on their guard wondering what sort of test they were under.

Jensen let a soft and short hum draw itself from his throat.

"I would not seek to emulate Cadet Hoob's inquiries. They don't suit you. Or, at least, they don't suit the you that others have come to expect. You are, however, an instructor of this institution. You could perhaps try and ask how a cadet finds their studies going, are they having any difficulties in any classes, things of that nature. As for your peers, the fellow Knights..."

Here he found himself blocked. He attempted to visualize a conversation between Lady Vissica and Lord Jibral but it seemed it would be short and full of sways towards avoiding speaking of classified information with each other, a dance around secrets. It would be a sight to behold, certainly, but it would hardly accommodate the end goal of enhancing morale and cohesion that was sought.

"Professional topics may be best, stick to shared information."

He found a small laugh attempting to escape but throttled it before it had a chance.

"And at absolute worst, you can simply greet someone and ask how they are. The standard answer is 'good' or 'fine', by the way. Typically a lie, but a necessary one."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    There was initial relief that Jensen warded her off of Hoob's specific tactic of small talk. While it was as mentioned, quite commendable, the thought of replicating such a tactic felt unpalatable. But as unpalatable as that was, the custom Jensen was now describing was worse. Vissica recoiled slightly from his descriptions of necessary lies, baring her teeth slightly in disgust.

"Why is it necessary to lie about your state of being if something is wrong?"

For a moment the Selonian seemed stricken and confused. Did she understand these aliens so little?

"Would you want to listen to a colleague bemoan situations you have no control over and cannot offer plausible solutions to?"

He answered too abruptly, with giving away far too much of the ever present bubbling annoyance that threatened to surface when he was dealing with peers. Despite all the lessons that he had forced himself to learn, this was one area that Jensen was still lacking. He could weather the games and portrayals of every day niceties that were demanded; but actually lending a sympathetic ear? Well... that required sympathy, at the very least a modicum to not appear totally callous. At least it was a zero sum that he was aware of, even if the Cadet hadn't yet learned to counterfeit such a thing.

A heavy breath left him as he reached up and dug his short fingernails against the side of his scalp. A soft shrug of a shoulder and a wandering of his eyes upwards served as the only hint of an apology for the outburst.

"Most individuals truly have no desire to actually speak of what perturbs them. Call it pride, if you like. Similarly, most individuals have no desire to actually be told the worries and concerns of another. That... Well, that is harder to explain, though I suppose pride comes into play there as well. So, rather than place oneself into an awkward position of either revealing or being told such things, we lie. Or, at least avoid the truth. Strangely, it's considered the more polite route."

It took saying it all for Jensen to realize how ridiculous human rituals were sometimes. Most times, if he was honest.

"I'm afraid you'll find that true for a lot of things that human culture has made the standard. Tradition outweighs logic more often than not."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast