"The Shard..."

He began as he crossed the threshold of the chamber, stepping delicately through the space. Some might find the space claustrophobic, but he had never been afraid of tight spaces himself. At the other end of the room he touched one of the many identical durasteel panels that created the domed room. With a wave of his hand the switch was manipulated within and the panel slipped forward away from the wall and then slid aside. Behind the panel was a complicated looking series of tubes and circuits that culminated at the center where stood a large, sand colored gemstone. It was raw, uncut. Imperfect.

"...are a sentient silicone-based species. Living crystals, if you will. Not only do they possess the standard classification for sentience but some can even be force sensitive. I've even heard rumor that a Shard Jedi can be found at the Ossus Temple. Truly marvelous things, in their own right. A testament to the infinite creativity of nature. However, I find their existence lacks purpose with the exception of those who manage through incredible odds to procure the means of leaving their world. A very rare few. Beyond those force capable, the rest of the species lacks direction and just multiplies. I find that... unacceptable. Fear not, I have found a new purpose for them. Come."

Reaching into the alcove he ran a finger along one of the jutting facets of the gemstone. There was a stirring in the air, a dull vibration of emotion that was unmistakable as it reverberated in the force: Fear. A great and hallow fear. Like the feeling in the pit of your stomach when, as a child, you waited in your room for your parent to come to punish you.

"Can you feel it?"