Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Of space... and Time... (Jeremy Varin)

Trinity moved the wheels and cogs and springs and pins as Jeremy instructed. She laughed as she missed something and bit her lip as she concentrated on others. At one point she lifted a lower gear and two came up together. But Jeremy reassured her that the two were next to come off, so no harm had been done.

It took some time, by which point she was close enough to him for their legs to be against one another, again. Soon she set the final wheel down and looked into the emptiness of the time piece. Glancing around at the myriad of pieces and the small, pristine sets he had placed each one in, it amazed her enough to comment as she handed him the pliers. "I never would have guessed that all those," she nodded to the pieces, "fit into that." She looked at the empty watch bezel.

He hadn't asked, but Trin felt a need to tell him about the precious heirloom before them. "The watch had been given to my great great-grandfather before he left our home world. His Lord had given it to him as a reminder that 'in time' things could return to how they were." A finger reached out to lightly trace the edge of the watch. "I bet neither of them imagined how much time would pass. The Chrono was broken during a fight my grandfather was in. Hunters had tracked our family down. Grandfather and my mother were out hunting. He sacrificed himself so my mother could escape. But she hadn't run home. She circled back and found him, dead. She took his watch and House Signet and home to my father's family estate. They were engaged to be married. He was from a Lesser House. Marrying my mother gave our House strength, and their House prestige. My mother gave it to my father on their wedding night as a symbol that all her time was now his." She moved her hands to clasp them in her lap as her eyes rose to meet his. "I took it from his body the night Hunters claimed my family bloodline once again."

She hasn't meant to blurt it all out. But once begin, it couldn't be stopped. But despite the tragedy of it, the steel he had spoken of earlier, was certainly evident now. Whatever the Hunters had done, she had it set on her mind that she wouldn't let it happen again.

Once more a smile crept up her face. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to bother you with history lessons or hysterics of family tragedies. I guess I just wanted to say it's precious to me and means more than you know that you're doing this. I'll never be able to repay you, you know." She laughed at the final words knowing it was true. There was no value she could place on what he was doing for her.

"Every little thing in this galaxy has value for someone," he smiled in answer, "... and for some it's old chronos that have deep family history."

Her retelling of the old timepiece's origin was deep and filled with underlying sentiment that was both spoken and unspoken, and it was those parts that had no verbal telling that tugged at him. There was more to everything that Trinity was saying - that much was apparent from the nature of the Captain and the shared species these two were a part of. But he wasn't one to press too far into things, and so he simply listened and did his best to understand.

At least Ms. Sundergotte was easier to suss out than the Captain; not to mention she was more talkative than his commanding officer, as well.

This mention of Hunters was interesting, but he didn't poke more into that subject; who knew how sensitive it was.

Instead, Varin began to assemble the necessary parts for putting back into the chrono.

"Don't worry about repayments, Ma'am. It's just as well that I get to have a gander at an old bit of a chrono. Call it sated curiosity," he smiled.

"Besides," he couldn't help the chuckle that tumbled out, "... I'm pretty sure the Captain would appreciate it if no life-debts were sworn on her ship."

Trin couldn't help but laugh. "Well, perhaps a life debt is a bit much. You are right. So how about simply a dinner debt? I'm sure there is a place where I can talk a cook or two into letting me use a real kitchen. I can't make anything fancy, but I am sure I can make something palatable enough to pass for dinner, sometime." She smiled. "And please, just call me Trinity... or Trin. I'm no soldier, like the La... I mean like the Captain. There is no need to call me Ma'am."

Trin watched in fascination as he set the cogs and other pieces in a precise pattern close at hand. "I'm guessing you are going to tell me how to put these back in, right?" She laughed and bit her lip, reaching up to press a strand of hair behind her ear.

"And ruin the fun of watching you stumble through it all?"

He was teasing at this point, his smile genuine and warm.

"Here," his free hand lifted up a small pair of tweezers, handing them to her.

"You'll need these, and this - " he also held out a needle for her to take.

"... you'd be surprised how handy they are."

Rolling his shoulders, Varin allowed himself to lean forward a slight bit so that he could point to each and every part.

"Now. Take this, and put it here," he made sure that his finger was solidly pointing to the empty spot in the very bottom of the chrono without touching.

It didn't escape Trin's notice that Jeremy didn't comment on a dinner pay back. But that was fine, she was enjoying herself. Or rather... she was until he reminded her that she was going to be the one to rebuild the chrono.

She took the given tools, the tweezers in her right, needle in her left. "Wow... all these years I avoided fine needlework and you are the one who gets miniature tools in my hand. My mother would thank you a million times over." She laughed and looked towards the pieces he was referring to. "This one?"

As he nodded, she picked up the tiny cog with a pin in the middle of it and laid it in the bottom of the watch body.

Piece by piece, little by little, the cogs, pins, wheels and pieces were slowly put in. After about 30 minutes, though it felt like hours already, Trin sat back and rolled her neck. "I need a minute." She laughed softly and laid the tools down ever so carefully and flexed her cramping fingers. "I can see why you enjoy this," she motioned to the large number of pieces still to be placed. "It's like a giant puzzle, but in a small package. I had no idea this much went into such a small space." She shook her head and turned to him. "Though I admit, I still have no clue how all those pieces work to make it keep time. Seems an odd piece of machinery to do something so trivial."

He smiled as she took a moment to relax.

"Each little piece compels the other to move, which in turn drives the next. Everything in here depends on the part that came before it, which is why it's so important to make sure that when you start, you do it correctly."

A reassuring smile, and he turned his attention to her handiwork. It was as it should be, everything placed precisely, and he gave an approving nod to no one in particular.

"All of this looks perfect," he rumbled, letting his eyes continue to inspect the timepiece.

Taking up the small tools that she set down, he began to continue the work, but paused as he remembered a small, almost inconsequential gear that he'd pulled from the old chrono while taking it apart. It had been fairly worn down, the wafer-thin teeth worn heavily. It had taken him a fair bit of time to repair it, but in the end he knew that his efforts had been successful. He also had a suspicion as to what it was meant for, and Jeremy set the tweezers and needle back down before getting to his feet.

"I forgot," stepping around the low caf table, he moved once more to his workbench.

"There was a piece in there that I'd never seen before. It was pretty banged up, but nothing a little bit of elbow lubricant can't fix."

A solitary set of small shelf-drawers was accessed, and he pulled open the tab of one of the drawers. Careful fingers pulled out a tiny cog that looked insignificant at best.

"I asked the Captain about it, since what it turns is a plate that has a small hole in it. The base face of your chrono has a lot of stuff on it. The numbers for the time of day of course, but it's also got a lot of flourishes and a border of individual designs that I wasn't sure what they meant. Which was why I asked her. Guess they're supposed to mean the changing seasons on your homeworld."

He returned, once more sitting down with his prize in tow. It wouldn't be placed in with the rest of the chrono's inner workings until the face had been set it, and so he set the piece slightly to the side.

"I have to admit, it's been a learning experience."

Trinity backed a little to let him look at her work. "I just did what you told me to," she laughed and watched him move across the room.

As he spoke of the extras on the watch, she frowned. "I imagine there is something in my book about it. I can't imagine their meaning isn't listed someplace. I'd be happy to share once I know." She smiled then added, "I mean, if you want. Don't want to bore you, though." She laughed nervously.

As he sat back down, she realized how close they were and scooted back a few inches to give him room. "I don't know how it was a learning experience. Aren't they all put together the same way? I mean, at least the ones like this?" She pointed to the piece on the table.

His smile only seemed to grow then, as Jeremy let a laugh escape.

"Well, most old chronos are, but this one is different. The basics are the same, but it's got a bit more built in that I'd not really ever seen before."

Leaning forward a small bit, he beckoned for her to join him in another round of inspection. The tweezers were taken up, but rather than actually using them to pick something up, he used them to point out certain pieces.

"This right here," the tips hovered a whisper's edge over a plain looking cog that seemed much the same as all the others inset behind it, "... it's for driving the seasonal plate, and these... " the tweezers shifted so that they were over another set of small stop tabs, "... these are for counting the hours of daylight on... "

He paused then, trying to remember what the Captain had called it. He momentarily drew a blank, and opted for trying to explain.

"... a planet. Apparently it's small, and hardly ever sees the sun. The Captain said it was a graveyard world, where the dead were taken. She also said there was a monument there, a gate of sorts- " the name returned, and he let out a tchah sound from between his teeth.

"Weit-fält. The Captain called it Weit-fält."

Trinity leaned closer, their shoulders nearly pressed together, as she looked at the pieces of the chrono as he pointed them out. "Seasons and days.." she murmured trying to made sense of it.

When he mentioned Weit-fält she frowned slightly. "It itches the back of my head like I'm supposed to know what it is. But honestly I don't remember." Her apology was a bit more sincere as if she was truly upset to disappointment him with lack of additional knowledge.

Leaning back, breaking their close contact, she shook her head slightly. "Why would someone need to mark days and seasons? I mean, I can tell that today is spring, I know in two more full moons that it will be summer. Why would you need a mechanical piece to tell you that? And especially on a dark planet that's half forgotten?" While there was a small undertone of laughter in her voice, her mind was trying to figure out why her family, her father in particular, treasured the oddity with such reverence. And why he was so adamant that she keep it close, like the family tome.

"Good question," he gave her a sideways glance before turning his eyes back fully to the chrono.

"Some things I guess are very important for one reason or another. The reasons for this one," he gave a light tap to the chrono, "... you'd probably have to ask the Captain about. She's much more qualified to answer that bit of questioning than I am."

He sat for a moment longer, then let both hands fall to his knees in a show of energy. He used the motion to propel himself upwards to stand.

"But, all of that is lost on me. What isn't though, is a good lunch."

He smiled down at her.

"You hungry?"

Trinity sat back and pondered the idea a bit. "I'll go look for her later. I don't want to intrude on her when she's working." She laughed realizing that on the ship, the woman would always be working. "Well, not in the middle of something, anyway."

Lunch... Trin had come down just to say hi and hadn't really had much since waking. Nodding at his query, she smiled once more, a hand moving to brush hair from her face as she watched him move. His fluidity reminded her of her shape shifting kind. If she hadn't known better, she may have thought he was part kin in some way or another. "I could certainly eat," she said and nodded.

"Well good!"

Moving away, closer to a pile of as-yet-to-be-washed clothes that rested unceremoniously on the floor beside a small chair, he dug through to the bottom before finding a pair of old sneakers. He slipped them over his feet without thought, making sure that they were secure enough before straightening back up. He rolled his shoulders.

"Because I'm starving."

Another wink was sent her way, and stepping to the door, his hand swiped over the palm reader, opening it in swift fashion.

"Thankfully the ship's wondrously delightful cook has a stellar lunch menu."

Still he smiled, and with a gentlemanly gesture, bade her first exit.

Trin laughed and rose. "I admit I haven't been in the dining hall but a couple times. The quick food trays for the shift personnel have been sufficient." In truth, she had felt out of place amongst the crew. Without a real purpose, other than passenger, it seemed odd to mingle with folks who all had a job to go on the great behemoth of a ship.

She smiled and nodded as he offered her to go first, "Thank you, Sir," she laughed and headed into the hall and waited before they turned towards one of the common rooms. "So do you have a recommendation for lunch, Jeremy?" She nodded now and then to others as they passed them.

Anything that the old Kaleesh woman Idiri prepared was leaps and bounds above the quality of the old auto-chefs that had once populated the mess hall, and Jeremy had more than a few recommendations to give. Of course, it all depended upon what they'd been able to pick up on their last stop at Jovan, and whatever the Captain and Idiri had managed to wrangle from not only Alliance stocks, but from the Cizerack livestock merchants as well. It always seemed a delicate balance of finding the right long-term ingredients for the sorts of foods that would feed a ship for months at a time. It was one that the old Lupine and the old Kaleesh seemed well capable of though, and there never seemed to be an end to the sorts of delightful food being sent out from the mess hall kitchen. Whether it was spiced nuna skewers with brown juba rice and lenfel gravy, or vegetable medleys covered in explosively tasty curry sauces, or even hunks of roasted dewback cubes in a hearty stew, there was really no end to what Idiri could make.

He set a casual pace, sending a few gestures of greeting to those that passed.

"Honestly, it's what Naani has on the menu for the day."

It was strange, Idiri Su'ul Ahan'war was as crusty and no-nonsense as she was warm and inviting at times, and had - after the first few weeks of her settling into her new position as the ship's cook, insisted that most all aboard call her 'Naani'. The Captain had said it was an affectionate honorific of sorts, but Jeremy had had no desire to question further; so long as the food kept coming.

"We're about a month away from our next stop at Jovan, so she's probably starting to begin her rationing."

He sidestepped another crewer that passed by.

"My guess is that it'll be something along the lines of steamed redtail mynock chunks over twice-fried juba rice; or maybe even spicy jakrab nuggets with some buttered flat bread and mixed tuber pickle."

Up ahead, a waifish, wisp of a woman rounded the bend in the corridor. In one hand was a paper bag, clutched tightly as she was focusing on the datapad in her other hand. Her seemingly oversized coveralls smelled of ozone and lubricant, and a smudge of oil could be seen on one cheek. The welding goggles perched over her forehead and overladen toolbelt only rounded out the picture of a mechanic fully taken over by the subject matter of her job.

At least she looked up in time to spot the two, her pale silver eyes widening.

"Oh!"

Jeremy gave a genial smile even as she seemed to fumble with giving a harried salute.

"No need for that, Lakali."

"Sorry Sir, just looking over the repulsor modulation software that we installed into your shuttle... "

"Is that so?"

"Oh yes. It's rather interesting, as I've never seen anything quite like it before. This new Verpine tech is just - "

He held up a hand to stop her, and she blinked in mild confusion; usually he was keen to hear her thoughts on the modifications she made to his favored nu-class shuttle.

"No need to get into all of that, Lakali. But... "

His eyes traveled down to pointedly stare at the bag she held.

"... what does Naani have, today?"

"Oh!"

There was an instant lift to the half-Arkanian's features as she let her gaze sweep from him to the young woman at his side.

"It's a good one today," she started, "... seared shaak belly and fried tuber shreds with onions and creamed asa peas! She also has some tuber stew and crust-bread left over from yesterday, if you want that."

He gave a smile, first to Lakali, and then shifted his head to look at Trinity.

"Sounds good, yeah?"

Trinity followed Jeremy listening to him absently comment on the various dishes he'd had in the past. With the admission that meals we're truly up to Cook's discretion, she laughed. "I've never had half of the things you just mentioned. But I'm adventurous enough to try anything...I think. Well, 'maybe' anything."

As the distracted woman came towards them, Trinity adjusted her pace slightly so she could step out of the way if the woman kept coming. She'd been distracted like that before and knew that sometimes even a plascrete wall wasn't noticed, much less a couple of people in the middle of the corridor.

When the woman acknowledged Jeremy, Trinity did take half a step to the side to give them a moment. Apparently the woman was a mechanic of his and she had monopolized Jeremy enough that she feared he had neglected his duties to keep her amused.

As Jeremy stopped the woman's report, Trinity took a breath, about to excuse herself. Lakali obviously had something to discuss and she was intruding. But then Jeremy asked about the food and Trinity held her goodbye of a moment. Lakali's rendering of the limited menu still made the lupine realize she hadn't eaten in a while. Jeremy's gaze made her smile and nod. "I've never had...sha..shaak belly, is it? But I'll trust your decision on that," she nodded her comment to the mechanic. Clasping her hands before her so Lakali wouldn't feel obligated to shake hands, she nodded back at the woman. "I'm Trinity, by the way. It seems even in the far reaches of space, men sometimes forget introductions." She winked to the other woman as she hoped Lakali wasn't running scenarios of her and Jeremy thru mind. It was obvious, to Trin, that the mechanic admired Jeremy. She just hoped she wasn't stepping in the middle of something with her meal time with Jeremy.

Lakali's silver eyes shifted to the young woman, and instantly a smile spread across her face as she let out a laugh. She gave a soft closed-fist nudge to Varin's arm.

"This one? He's just an old Core-world bumpkin with no real manners."

For his part, Jeremy gave a light scoff, then a half-step back with a slightly raised hand in supplication.

"Reeda Lakali, this is Ms. Sundergotte - " His eyes went to Trinity.

"Trinity, this is Reeda Lakali. You won't find a better mechanic than her, this side of the galaxy."

Trinity relaxed as Lakali smiled. It made her feel better that the woman didn't primp and preen over her familiarity with Jeremy. "I wouldn't say old..." she laughed and winked at the man who had been kind to her when no one else had reached out.

"Please, call me Trinity. And I fear my only claim to fame is the ability to be completely lost and useless on a floating ship in space." She glanced around and mock shock lit her face. "Oh look! The perfect situation." She nodded once more to the woman. "I'll keep your skills in mind next time I need a shuttle. I fear I am pretty useless around mechanical things." She was coming to realize that while she had had an amazing education, it lacked anything that made her useful in real life. She could keep books and looks over statistics. And she was great at research. But something told her that on a ship like this, those skills were probably duplicated several times over in both personnel and computer banks.

She was being modest, and Jeremy smiled easily, the crow's feet at the edges of his eyes crinkling.

"Either way, I'm sure it's nothing you need to worry about right now."

Lakali too offered a smile, tucking her datapad under one arm.

"Captain is usually a patient gal, so don't fret. If you're here, she's got her reasons for keeping you aboard."

Turning to Trinity, Jeremy nodded as he deftly stepped to the other side of his mechanic.

"Can't argue with that," he chuckled.

Lakali used the opening to gesture with her now-free hand.

"Best get to the galley. Don't know how much longer Naani will have today's menu."

"You're kind to say so. Thank you." Trinity saw Jeremy's smile and wanted to slug him. If nothing else, at least she wasn't feeling ignored.

"I am sure you're right. If nothing else, I heard strays are good luck on deep space ships." As Jeremy stepped aside, Trinity nodded. "I'll hurry him along. Would be embarrassing to show me where to eat only to have it all gone."

Trinity nodded respectfully at Lakali. "It was nice to meet you. I'm sure if you aren't in a restricted area, I'll see you in my random wanderings."

She moved past the girl to stand by Jeremy. She hasn't wanted to dismiss woman out of hand, but she felt her stomach growl and worried the others would hear.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast