Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TheHolonet Slack channel

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I'm a doctor, not a Jedi, Jim! What you're asking for is impossible! Oh, wait, I am a Jedi.

Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Kaman
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MiriyaCailis Steam ID: Gyndar
    As an alternative to Slack, I highly suggest Discord, as it's completely free... and has a nice, dark interface, as opposed to Slack's blinding, unchangeable white. I use it for the majority of my gaming and RP-related chatter, already. It's also definitely not a resource hog - very low impact on the CPU. I leave it on all the time on my phone, and it doesn't devour the battery like Skype does. I've had absolutely no problems with notifications between desktop/phone/what-have-you. And it's also designed for use while gaming. Neat thing, that you can also set different nicknames for yourself for each server you're in, and you can have countless servers.

It's available for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. Also, they're working on making it available for Linux!

Also, Holly - It works for browsers other than Chrome. I've thus far tested it in Firefox and Edge, but if on the off-chance you use a different browser from the three already mentioned, I don't foresee issues popping up.

My Slack troubles continue. On both the desktop app and the mobile app, it refuses to accept what I know 100% to be the password I entered, and will not let me change it. Then I get stuck in infinite sign-in loops when I try to do the "magic link." It only happens for our group. I am able to use the mobile app for my basketball group without issue, and for that group I am able to connect to Slack on PC via a browser tab, not needing to run the desktop app.

So, for now, I give up on Slack for our group entirely. I've tried various solutions, none work, and I am no longer interested in trying more. Seems to work great for everyone else, just not me.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    I know you have an account that works for the other group, but I would say, for curiosity's sake, try a temporary new account for our group. The problem lies in the password/sign-in/magic link situation, by the sounds of it.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    I'm finding myself wondering if it's worth continuing with Slack. For a start, Mitch has issues connecting to it, so by using it, we're excluding him. Secondly, people seem to be continuing to use AIM anyway (even when Mitch isn't around), which says to me there's no real attachment to the Slack chat and means it's necessary to have 2 chat clients on the go at all times. It is at the point were it seems a bit pointless. I like Slack, but does anyone honestly think we gain anything of real value by using it?

I still need my invite to the second email so I can try it again. Holly, did you get my DM?

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Geoffrey
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Karagane Steam ID: Davendude
    I think anyone in the chat can invite others. So feel free to message me that second email and I'll get an invite sent to it.

Got an invite, and it seems to work now. Looks like Slack was having major issues with my other login for our group, despite it working flawlessly for my basketball group.

Been using this for a couple of days. Gotta say, it's pretty gentle on my sick-brain. The AIM chat got pretty overwhelming for me, but Slack's different channels makes it a lot more manageable, and being able to set up little notifications for character names and partial thread titles and such makes it a lot easier to keep up while AFK. The app support is pretty great too. Super impressed with this thingy deal.

Excellent techno-find, guys.
    It's like that, and that's the way it is.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    Glad you like. It's been really useful for me too. Compartmentalizing chats is a huge boon, even if it doesn't archive everything with Stasi-level ruthlessness like AIM did

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    Guys slack is mostly wonderful except for the stupid that is forced lower case names. Ya'll should come hang out if you have not.

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    Slack is a good time. Come hang out

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Blog Entries
    I'm glad we finally went to a chat platform, but I am already on 8 chat platforms so I'm not in a position to add another. If we go to Discord or Groupme or something else, lemme know. Till then...

ms_trinket@yahoo.com is my email

Discord, Kik, Groupme, FB, text, ym, skype, hangout.... PM me an id and I'll be happy to hook up there

It IS nice to know folks are still around, though

Meli
    Mobstress

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    We have started using Discord. I am not going to post a link invite but if you’re in the Slack there is one there, or I can PM you a link.

oh what a tangled web I weave

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    If we're actively not using Slack anymore, we should unstick this?

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    Sure

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12