Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Daybreak

TheHolo.Net Poster

Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Natacha
    Agatha looked unfazed by the officer's glare. It took more than a buoyant Cizeri to trouble her. Her eyes darted between the woman getting back to her feet and the alien nearby worker who had briefly joined the conversation. She noted how the officer didn't try to make any unwanted or abrupt movement with her wounded arm, which she appreciated.

"Let's go to the medbay," she simply added, gesturing for her newly met patient to come with her.

She smirked at the comment regarding mouse droid. "Save for being pesky trouble makers, I have rarely seen their use." She briefly rolled her eyes, recalling an episode of her earlier career. "Ten of them once malfunctioned on a medical ship I served on. It caused more patients to overwhelm us than the previous trip to the battleground. Ridiculous."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    T'yeellaa nodded in response to the good advice. She glanced back to Anauri, feeling heat glow at the tips of her ears in disappointment as she realized the mess caused by her spill.

"Ssorrrjy about jyourr..." T'yeellaa trailed off, not having any clue at all what exactly she'd knocked all over the floor, "...food, Chjief. Let me get thjiss taken carre of and next brreakfasst jiss on me."

It was a lousy feeling, to feel like a dependant agent of chaos. The Goddess usually spread around that misfortune, thankfully. It just meant that her number was up today.

Glancing back at Doc, T'yeellaa put on a good game face, even as she could feel every heartbeat radiating up and down her arm now.

"Well, jit'ss mjy own fault one wajy orr anotherr. jI get tunnel vjissjion when jI rrun."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Natacha
    Agatha keenly observed the interaction between the officer and the chief. There were times when being only half Lorrdian was frustrating because she couldn't read body language as well as her mother. Yet, between a strong sense of observation and years of interacting with a large number of species, the doctor was more than decent at reading people.

As she headed to the medbay with the Cizeri, she nodded to what the other woman said about having tunnel vision. "I hadn't realized that Cizeris had such a way to speed up to the extent you did. That was impressive." She had read about the species' physiology but having only been assigned to Jovan Station, she hadn't interacted with that many yet.

"Do you run every morning?"
    There was still several more minutes to make it to the medbay where she would take care of the officer's arm, so it didn't hurt to speak a little more.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    How do you respond to a compliment for your species? Thanks seemed a bit hollow, so T'yeellaa gave a small shrug. The question that followed was at least less about namanas and meilooruns between Humans and Cizeri.

"jIn the morrnjing?" she grimaced, "Goddesss, no. jI'm onljy up at thjiss awful hourr becausse jI have to. And jif jI have to be honesst, jI hate rrunnjing."

Her ears hung low a moment, then righted.

"But jI ssajid jI'd do jit, sso jI'm dojing jit. Ussualljy jitss jin the afterrnoon, when jI've had tjime to wake up. Majybe that'ss lesss jimprresssjive on the sspecjiess meassurrjing sstjick, but jI have no jidea how jyou humanss ssleep sso ljittle and rrjisse sso earrljy - and arre happjy to do jit."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Natacha
    Lorna had a tendency to make unexpected and quite blurt scientific observations about individuals and species at large, and she was glad that the Cizeri didn't take it the wrong way. The simple shrug was fine by the blonde's standards. She often needed a few weeks or months to adjust to new customs among different people too. She always tried to do well, but her tendencies to be a happy hermit between work and her life sometimes got in the way.

"Is there another kind of physical activity you prefer to running? Running in laps on the station is better than being stuck in a gym center, but it's not the same as doing that fully outdoors."

For frak's sake, Lorna, you're so rusty at being social sometimes, it's hilarious or really sad, or both....

"Without caf in my system, I'd probably be less impressive. I can nap like crazy when given the opportunity. I heard it's a family trait from my Lorrdian side," the doctor quipped.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    'Is there another kind of physical activity you prefer to running?'

T'yeellaa had to catch herself from laughing. Apparently the new sawbones hadn't read that chapter of Cizeri biology.

"Ssomethjing ljike that, Doctorr." Cryptic, but with a smile. At least the absurdity made the throb in her arm less pronounced. "But jI'm ssurre jyou'll fjigurre that out the longerr jyou'rre herre on Jovan."

Something stuck with the K'ohta'rrou in Lorna's reply, and she paused. "Oh, jyou'rre Lorrrdjian? jI had no jidea."

It came out awkwardly, and T'yeellaa bit softly at her tongue when it did. Had no idea, because so many forrda look alike. Good going.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Natacha
    Lorna raised a brow at the Cizeri's remark and chuckled softly. She might be wrong but the "something like that" had often meant certain things, and it amused her.

The other woman's reaction to her being partly Lordian only brought a shrug from the blonde. "Yes. My father's side of the family loved near-humans ladies, so we're a bunch of little half-breeds of various kinds. Some of us got some perks."

The blonde's expression turned kinda mischievous. "My cousin and I have definitely had a thing to rattle xenophobes' cages at times. In my case, some didn't like knowing the person who had saved them wasn't as human as they thought." Of course, it had got her into more serious trouble and discrimination at times, but she wasn't one for the sob stories.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    "Heh. jYeah." The K'ohta'rrou hid behind one sheepish chuckle, feeling the heat rise in her eartips in embarassment over nearly being outed by her own prejudices.

The next few paces passed in uncomfortable silence. T'yeellaa's brow knit as she tried to think of another subject.

"At leasst jyou'rre not to farr frrom jyourr homeworrld. Lorrd jissn't much farrtherr frrom Jovan than home clussterr..."

The slight roll in T'yeellaa's shoulders expressed as an although, as in, although it's on the *other* side of the border.

"jI guesss that jissn't much ssolace."
    Last edited by T'yeellaa Meorrrei; Feb 21st, 2019 at 01:37:37 AM.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Natacha
    Lorna didn't mind the silence that much. She easily fell back into just focusing on her running. The ability to switch from one thing to the other was something that come very handy in her career, and also honoring pauses when they occurred, even when they could be not the most comfortable, was something she had learned to do over the years. She wasn't always that successful but she never claimed to be perfect.

She pursed her lips briefly, caught off guard - so much for being adaptable she chided herself, at the Cizeri's remark about Lorrd. Her mother's planet was not on the Alliance side for sure.

"I've... I've only been there once when I was little. I'm not familiar with my maternal side. I grew up on Raaltiir." Ironically, her cousin Morgana who had some imperial business contacts at times as far as she knew, had all her Zeltron maternal side back on their home world.

"I did study on Coruscant a long time ago, but my interest in xeno biology and my "rebellious" ideas had me stay away from imperials since then." It was also one of the reasons why she had traveled so much to multicultural planets and outposts over the years. She found some pleasure in using what she had learned on imperial territory to help people the Empire considered like sub-species.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    "Well, jI hope jyourr jinterresst jin xenobjiologjy pajyss off." The K'ohta'rrou winced as they arrived at the infirmary. By now all of the adrenaline had ebbed, and the ache was deep, sending shooting throbs up the length of her arm with each heartbeat.

"Thjiss wjill be a fjirrsst forr me. jI've never had an aljien forr a doctorr."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Natacha
    As they arrived at the infirmary, Lorna looked at the Cizeri. "Well, hopefully I'll be on par with Cizeri doctors," she remarked, half jesting, half serious.

She led the other woman to an available room, and threw a lab coat over her running outfit, before washing her hands.

"Have you broken or sprained your arm in the past?" She inquired as she began the examination.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    The jesting nature of the Doctor's reply wasn't lost on the K'ohta'rrou, but it didn't leave her feeling reassured either. Cizeri doctors were some of the best in the galaxy. She felt justified in her initial unease, but swallowed it down. There was no sense comparing the two. Besides, a broken arm was hardly life or death.

The questions begin, and T'yeellaa nodded along, sliding to a sitting position on the examination bench.

"jI've brroken thjiss arrm twjice beforre. Once, falljing out of a bayossa trree at home. The otherr tjime wass asss a cadet, jin zerro-grravjitjy combat trrajinjing."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Natacha
    Examining the CIzeri's arm with care, Lorna ran a couple of holo medical imagery to have the best diagnosis possible. She sometimes remembered the days when she was in the middle of nowhere with close to none of the basic equipment that many people took for granted in the galaxy. The monitor soon showed results she had expected.

"It's a clear fracture, so I'm going to get you a firm arm brace, but I recommend you get some bacta treatment to help the bone heal faster."

She retrieved an arm brace from the nearby supply storage, and made sure it was set correctly on the officer's arm. "Would you like some painkiller prescription?" She wasn't sure of the other woman's response, which was why she asked.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    She nodded along to the bacta recommendation. It wasn't cheap, but you got what you paid for. She could accelerate her mending by multiple factors, or spend longer in a brace with cheaper kolto. Given her work, it was a no brainer.

The doc worked to form the brace on her arm. T'yeellaa endured it wordlessly. Only the occasional tightening of her jaw or the stiff switching of her tail betrayed the occasional sharp bursts of pain. The question of painkillers predictably followed.

"No thank jyou."

It wasn't that she had something to prove to the doc, it was more that she'd had something to prove for most of her adult life, and that was a hard habit to break. For a change, she lowered her guard a little, along with her ears.

"What'ss the leasst narrcotjic pajinkjillerr jyou have?"

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Natacha
    Lorna was used to find her way around about any medical facility, having worked in war zones with very few supplies, all the way to state of the art facilities. She was still in the process of getting settled on Jovan station in a weird way, because she had worked at different medbays aboard it, instead of having one or two places to cycle through at a given location or during a specific mission. She was still capable of doing her job well though, which was what mattered.

She was surprised when the Cizeri seemed willing to change her mind about the painkiller. The blonde wouldn't have pushed the matter though, if it had been a flat no. Yet, she brought up her datapad and checked for the available options on stock. "We have two that are as little narcotic as possible: standard BX-90, or a more recent remedy, the Arco 99. I would recommend the BX-90, because the other one is known for a greater risk of side effects."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    "The fjirrsst one." T'yeellaa agreed readily. "jI don't plan on mjisssjing anjy worrk on account of thjiss, sso jI'd ljike to rremajin fjit forr dutjy. jIf therre'ss pajin, then therre'ss pajin."

She tested the limits of her brace, finding the swelling and pain kept her in line more than the brace did at this point. That would probably change in quick order, but this would give her an idea of how impeded she would be in the short term.

"Now to thjink of a betterr sstorrjy to tell Gai'tou about thjiss than the trruth..." she said quietly, mostly to herself.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Natacha
    "Sure thing," Lorna took a few notes and soon produced a datachip along with the meds the Cizeri had opted for. "Here you go. I wrote you a prescription for two weeks, just in case."

From there, the officer was free to take - or not - the medication. She was already pleasantly surprised the other woman had changed her mind about painkillers.

Hearing the words about finding a "better story," the doctor didn't say a thing about it. She wouldn't tell a soul about it after all.

"Is there anything else I can do for you?"

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    The K'ohta'rrou sighed heavily, her ears lowering a she did.

"Otherr than ssmooth overr mjy attempt to rrujin both of ourr morrnjingss?"

T'yeellaa made an embarrassed face, then glanced down to her bound-up arm.

"Make jit up to jyou? Ssjince jI'm not gettjing mjy rrun jin todajy, jI feel ljike eatjing ssomethjing awful. Thjink jI can drrag jyou down wjith me? Betterr wajy forr me to get to know mjy CMO than brreakjing an arrm."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Natacha
    "Believe me, it takes more than that to ruin my morning," she remarked wryly. She had started several mornings with no sleep and with life-threatening medical emergencies on her hands. So all things considered, it was a fairly mild morning.

She hadn't expected the Cizeri to offer to "make it up" to her, especially as she didn't think the other woman needed tool; but the prospect of food won her over.

"You had me at food, especially awful food. I've not yet had it on the station, so I could use suggestions!"

Right on cue, her stomach growled.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    "How about, err...do notss?"

T'yeellaa sounded unsure, and her expression turned even more unsure as she said it. At least she thought that's what they were called.

"The thjingss wjith holess jin them?"

When she'd nearly bowled the chief over, seeing them in passing must have made an impression. T'yeellaa wasn't even sure what they were, other than certainly not health food.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast