Thread: Defend the Sanctuary

Anne de Ménessaire

Closed Roleplay [WoD] Defend the Sanctuary

Burgundy, France.

"Jérémie! How many times did I tell you to keep these doors locked?"
    The stern voice made the younger vampire startle and stare at the lady of the house, or rather castle in this case. He had been given protection with the Toreador clan located in the Nevers area, but struggled with getting used to his life as a non human and Lady de Ménessaire wasn't helping.

The redhead descended the stone staircases in the lower section of the castle which she had inherited after her husband's passing a couple of centuries ago. "I'm sorry, my lady...." He stuttered, lowering his gaze as she closed the distance between them, her pale hand lashing at his throat, her petite frame hiding uncanny strength as she lifted him off the floor.

"I haven't fought for this place to be a sanctuary for centuries for your petty insouciance to let stray dogs or worse infiltrate the castle." Her piercing gaze was even colder than the fingers on his skin.

"If you can't do simple tasks, I will have no other choice than to send you to another of our clan."
    She put him back on his feet and folded her hands before her, her noble poise intimidating. He bowed and was about to apologize again when she spoke first. "It might be better for you for one dire mistake of you and your eternal life won't last long."

She gave no further attention to the man and carried on deep into the hallways leading to what used to be the cells of the medieval fortress. There was no direct thread to the Toreador clan in this area, but she knew that her sire and longtime friend, Gabrielle de Montespan, had enemies lurking in the dark and scheming to make a move. Anne knew it made her a target due to their bond and she knew better than to lower her guard.

Anne de Ménessaire
    Anne kept making the round to ensure that everything was as it should be. While she wasn't eager to pick up a physical fight as Gabrielle could be, she wouldn't shy away from defending her people should anything require it. She had had a good teacher for that. While she prefered enjoying some carefree fun and relax, she was always a bit too focused on running the clan in the region. She liked the responsibilities and found purpose in her duties, but she wouldn't mind a kick in the ass to take some time off. She chuckled to herself as she recalled Gabby threatening to do just that. Her sire had tried to coax her into having some fun while Anne had visited Versailles a few weeks ago. It had been a good time and she had been glad to see Arabella as well, but in a way, she wanted fun by herself, or with certain kind of company. Sadly, no one had caught her eye in the Nevers clan nor any of the recent visitors. She was picky and she couldn't deny she had a strong liking for Southern European kind, where Gabby was more set on Americans, which baffled her to pieces.

Interrupting her thinking, her cellphone rang, the battle theme from the most recent videogame she played blaring in the old medieval hallways. She laughed as she saw the look on one of her handmaidens. "Claire, you're more scared of that tune than of an actual werewolf trying to eat you." The other woman smirked and gave space for Anne to take the call.

"Anne de Ménessaire," she said for the number was hidden, which she always hated, but didn't let it be noticed.

"Je peux à peine vous entendre. Parlez plus fort." She frowned, trying to make sense of the garbled call.

"Les Rénégats.... après vous.... en chemin.... deux jours...."

The communication ended and Anne's hand slightly tensed on the phone before she put it back in her pocket.

Even without many details, these were bad news.

Anne de Ménessaire
    The bad news meant preparing. Even in times of peace, there were always some foes willing to trouble the situation of the different clans. Anne despised such annoyances; though she would be prepared. Her sire Gabrielle was the type to almost rejoice at the perspective of a good fight, but it was not in Anne's nature. She would do what was necessary.

"Katia!" She yelled at her handmaiden who was entering the room. "Contact our hunters. I know two of them were heading towards Vezelay. I need them back. Send Isabelle to Nevers immediately. They need to be ready for a secondary attack."

The young brunette, who had been in Anne's service for a hundred years, bowed her head. "Bien sur, ma dame. What about Charlotte? She was scouting for a possible new recruit by the Mont Beuvray." Anne considered the suggestion for a moment but shook her head. "She's a good ace to have up my sleeve, so I'll leave her to her mission."

Anne then moved to the large kitchens nearby, that had partially been transformed into an armory due to the nature of most of its inhabitants. "Be ready for an assault. The renegades are coming. I want all the traps to be checked and replaced if need be."