Thread: X-men Apocalypse (2016)

TheHolo.Net Moderator

Stealing planets with a cunning use of flags!
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer Park Kraken's Avatar

X-Men X-men Apocalypse (2016)

Saw the film yesterday, I thought it was pretty interesting. Despite some liberties from the comics being taken here and there, I think it's worth seeing in theatres at least one time.

There was a lot of foreshadowing in this film for future installments. Perhaps most telling for me was setting up for the advent of Asteroid M, between throwing all of the world's nukes into orbit and giving Magneto essentially the ability to earth bend. Apart from that the after credits scene showed someone who looked like Senator Kelly walking to where they held Weapon X, retrieving a vial of his DNA, and adding to a briefcase marked by Essex Corp that had a bunch of other vials. One other possibility is the end scene where they're in the danger room beginning to fight a new breed of sentinels.

As for the film itself, they took a major liberty in having Apocalypse killed off, although they at least did it in about the only way possible, having Phoenix disintegrate him while enhanced storm and magneto blasted him, along with Scott unleashing his full eye beams.

Other tidbits through the film include another awesome Quicksilver scene, a possible killing off of Alex Summers, Psylocke possibly running off with Archangel after all is said and done, and at least seeing Jubilee, even if we didn't get to see her fireworks.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    I saw it today. I thought it was incredible. A strong, emotional, exhilarating close to the trilogy - if indeed it is a trilogy. Everything I felt was relevant was addressed, and it came full circle in some really sweet and poignant ways. Such a satisfying cinema experience. I felt like jumping out of my seat and cheering towards the end!

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    We went last week- I thought it was great. And Sophie Turner was perfect as Jean Grey. I loved Nightcrawler, too.

oh what a tangled web I weave

I definitely agree - great movie. The effects were amazing as well. Looking forward to Warcraft next Friday as well.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    There were some great bits to this film, but holy heck the pacing was weird. It felt so long and slow, ponderously introducing a whole bunch of characters, and then suddenly it was really intense fighting for a short, sharp burst.

Also, I felt like the entire time Apocalypse was on screen, it looked like he was rolling his eyes at everyone around him. I don't know if that was intentional but he looked like he couldn't be arsed with any of it!

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

I know the look you mean! He's sort of heavy-lidded, and he doesn't seem to move very fast at all. I don't think that's what Oscar Isaac was going for, but now I don't think I'll be able to unsee it. Jenny, you have ruined this film for me!

The pacing was definitely a little unusual. It kinda felt like the way stories are told in the comics, though? It was all broken up into little issue-length bits and pieces of story, and each "issue" had it's own little bit of action and plot advancement. Didn't necessarily work in the movie's favour, but I kinda see what they were going for.

Thoroughly enjoyed it, though. Fassbender was superb, Sophie Turner was great ([and that fuck yeah Phoenix moment was AWESOME]), and I really like the way they fleshed out Quicksilver: the fact that [he could have just told Magneto he was his son and literally fixed everything in about five seconds managed to play out as tragic rather than dumb]. Definitely agree with Droo though, the way things came full circle was handled really well. Even though the timeline has been altered, it still gives that "okay, I understand how the very first movie came to be now", what with [all of the familiar teacher faces ending up as X-Men by the end], and having Fassbender and McAvoy [repeat the whole "I feel a great swell of pity" exchange] was pretty friggin' perfect.

I feel like Oscar Isaac had more to give than the script allowed him, and I would personally have preferred a little more Psylocke and Angel (they were sorta just "there") and a little less Mystique (I love JLaw, just not personally a fan of this particular take on the character), but overall it was pretty awesome, and I would happily watch it again multiple times.
    It's like that, and that's the way it is.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

On Oscar Isaac: [I loved that he was allowed to go Full Skeletor on lines like "You can fire your arrows from the tower of Babel, but you will NEVER... STRIKE... GOD!" Freakin' chills, man! The Beethoven! That whole scene!]

To think - that's Poe Dameron!