Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sifting the Detritus

Old Zem
    He followed Lok at a slower gait, content to allow her to introduce herself in a way that was easy for him to see coming. For the lead pilot's sake, she took a punch well, and came up to her feet looking like she might aim to dish a few out. Her companion clearly wasn't having any of it, though, and her shrilling rang out in the hangar.

The old man addressed the Chiss girl.

"Your General? I'm not sure what we have to offer him. We're two old souls. Our battles are behind us."

It was more an act than anything, a response designed to test the resolve of their visitors.

Siloo Jaska
    Siloo's shoulders eased some of their tension when she realized they weren't about to trade shots. She relaxed, pausing a hand to brush gingerly at her jaw where the older woman had rocked her.

"General Meorrrei said you were one of her most trusted allies during the civil war. Maybe she just had her rose tinted glasses on."

Her eyes narrowed at the mention of Taataani, and s'Il crossed her arms over her chest in slow, calculating fashion.

"Maybe she did, at that," came the reply.

There were a few moments of silence that passed, as she looked to the Chiss woman. She let Zem's words hang in the air, mulling over what the elderly Meorrrei matron could possibly want from her. There was no telling, really. There were notions, but with Taataani Meorrrei it could really be anything.

She let out a long breath, her eyes still on the Chiss despite her voice addressing the other pilot.

"Names."

Siloo Jaska
    Siloo's jaw tightened up, keeping her mouth in check that would rather pop off than take a near-interrogation lying down. The only glue holding her together was the mission. This was worth putting her people into harm's way. The General said so.

"Captain Siloo Jaska. Gold squadron leader."

She indicated in Sansa's direction with a head nod.

"This is Cadet Alis'ans'amey."

She'd remembered the girl's actual name, which came as a surprise. Not Diva, not Sansa, not Cadet Bimbodoll. That was a testament to how much she'd started to respect the young hot shot.

A Chiss. Even out in the Expanse, one didn't come across a Chiss very often. It was intriguing, and s'Il blinked.

"Don't see many Chiss about," she spoke to the other pilot; Alis'ansa'mey.

Alis'ans'amey
    God, this woman was rude! So who cared if she was some big hotshot super pilot or, like, whatever! She was still being totally rude! And if she was some super old Rebel member, then she should know her Mom and stop being rude to her about that too. Her Mom had flown for Rogue Squadron! And, well, okay, used to be in all the gossip holozines. Which she doubted a grumpy old woman like this ever read, but that was beside the point!

"I'm only half Chiss." She replied. "And like, my family haven't lived on Csilla for three generations." She added, because most people were seeking explanations for why Sansa was, well, anything but the typical Chiss. Even 'half Chiss' was technically a little off, but she didn't want to get in to the extreme maths involved to work out what she technically was. Her mom was 3/4 Chiss, her father human, the combination got overly complicated. It explained the lack of fully glowing crimson eyes both her and her mother had, however. Just red iris's. While Sheena, her Mom's, would often glow a soft red in low light, Sansa's were much more natural looking, and her blue skin tone a shade paler.

At least to Sansa's math-phobic mind. Flying she could do. Anything else she struggled with or found boring. Still, she was pleased that Siloo got her name right. Most humans struggled with Chiss full names. While on Csilla, it was cultural to expect only those close to you use your core name, her Mom had long ago abandoned that practice out here in the galaxy after so many people tripped over the proper pronunciation, and Sansa followed suite.

A single brow raised, and s'Il gave a longer than normal look to the halfbreed. Presently though, her gaze shifted back to Captain Jaska. A huffed breath, and she folded her arms behind her at the small of her back. Normal procedure at this juncture would've been to introduce herself and Zem, but after so many years of isolation, the elder Lupine had somewhat fallen back to old, contrarian habits. Which meant that she dove into the heart of the matter at hand.

"What does Taataani want."

Siloo Jaska
    Siloo gave her squaddie a glance to make sure she wasn't about to boil the pot over. In a weird way, they both shared the same thin skin. The only thing that differed was how they responded when it got rubbed the wrong way. When it became clear that Sansa wasn't continuing into a comeapart, Captain Jaska met s'Ilancy's pointed gaze.

"What do you think, ma'am? There's a war on. The good people of the Republic can act like a bunch of kaadus with their heads in the mud and pretend it isn't happening, but it is."

Siloo's eyes moved from Lok to Zem and back. She was going to have to say it, wasn't she?

"She needs your help. We all do."

Silence was Captain Jaska's only answer. Certainly not a long one, but it was present and apparent regardless. s'Il blinked, eyes narrowing as she looked up at the taller woman. She studied the face that stared right back at her, noting each line and tick. There was no outward indication that Jaska was insincere, and the Force gave credence to the honesty in her words.

Finally.

"She does, does she."

Words spoken quietly and in a level tone.

"What does she think I can do for her... ?"

Siloo Jaska
    The old Jedi was playing too coy for Captain Jaska's taste, and she shifted her feet with irritation in response.

"I don't know. You'd have to ask her yourself. All I know is that she's been looking for you for a long time, and has put a bit of effort into it."

She took the answer in silence, her brow furrowed in thought as she mulled over the other woman's words. That Taataani had apparently been looking for her for a while was intriguing enough, but now that the she'd been found, as it were, there was more desired than a simple bout of quiet contemplation.

A long breath escaped her lips, and the Lupine half-turned to Zem. A single eyebrow raised in invitation for him to put in his own opinion.

Old Zem
    There wasn't any hint of duplicity in the woman's words. That didn't mean there wasn't a hint of duplicity in Taataani Meorrrei. Far from it. The Cizerack woman had never been short on charm or charisma, but she'd never been one to make a habit of full disclosure either. Caring and benevolent. Prideful and vengeful. Even with the force as an ally, she was nearly impossible to fully read. But even as pessimistically as Vymes could interpret the woman, he couldn't see her as an antagonist.

Of course, the road to hell was said to be paved with good intentions.

"I think," Zem began, his voice a bit dry and croaky before a cough. "Mrs. Meorrrei has helped us in the past enough to hear what she has to say."

It was the same grudging conclusion that she herself had come to, and s'Il gave a slow nod as she turned back to Captain Jaska.

"Very well."

A single finger went up then, as if to forestall any further interjections from their guests.

"However, there are other matter that must be attended to before beginning down that route." She sent her eyes to KHER then.

"Time until we reach the rendezvous point?"

Seven minutes, Ma'am. No word yet from Master Vymes' contact, however.

Not surprising, and the Lupine didn't even bother to give her husband a rueful, questioning look. He'd seen it enough times before to know that it was there despite no outward delivery.

"I'm sure they're playing it safe. Can't say as I blame them," finally she turned her attentions back to Jaska and Sansa. "Seems you're stuck with us for now, Captain."

Siloo Jaska
    "Contact? What contact?"

Siloo's eyes moved from KHER, to Vymes, then to s'Ilancy. It appeared that whatever the old timers were doing over Raxus, they weren't simply laying low out of the Republic's sight.

She could afford to wait, but the more she knew about this, the better.

"That... " she frowned at the question, casting a critical look to Jaska.

"... is my business, and none of yours."

The Resistance had found them it seemed, but in the here and now, s'Il had no interest in bringing them into this particular endeavor that Zem and his parties chose to busy themselves with. For her part, the Lupine was content enough to stay in the shadows, away from the much more illuminated galactic stage. She was always ready to help; to provide the muscle that was needed in their small push-back against the First Order, but beyond that? She had set herself to helping root out and snatch away so many young souls from the clutches of the First Order that actually going toe-to-toe with them was never considered. And those that did choose to do so... well, she had other matters that more often than not took her attentions.

Hells, they'd still not been able to track down Markos and Rocky; a heartbreaking fact that still haunted her as vividly as that awful day. The day that they left. The day that even Teagan seemed to wither away and shut herself off from the rest of the galaxy, retreating to Schwartzweld to live with Erasmus.

She turned to Zem.

"In light of recent events, I'd rather not land my ship, if it's all the same to you. Whatever it is you must do to bring your friends out of the woodwork, then please do so as soon as you're able."

Old Zem
    Zem gave his partner an understanding nod of his head.

"I doubt we'd find any suitable landing site on Raxus for your cruiser at any rate. A shuttle would negotiate the junk wastes far better than any star cruiser."

The old Jedi Master was already eyeing a suitable craft in the hangar bay opposite their guests' X-Wings.

She gave a nod to a shuttle that sat nestled towards the back, tucked up into a recessed portion of the bulkhead.

While it was not the old Nu-Class shuttle that they were most used to, this one was a bit more suited to the task at hand.

"Are you wishing to fly, this time? Or shall I call for Ms. Varin?"

Old Zem
    The old man cast s'Ilancy a dirty look at that suggestion.

"I may not be much of a dancer on my own two feet, but I can still make a ship dance on the clouds. Come on."

Zem jerked his head in the direction of the shuttle, and began to heel-toe in it's direction. He paused, glancing to the two Resistance pilots.

"I hear the pilots in the Resistance are supposed to be pretty good?"

Siloo Jaska
    A pilot's ego was always burning. Sometimes it was a full blaze, and sometimes it was a few red coals in a heap. All it took was an occasional turning-over and a feeding. Sansa's eyes brightened a bit. Captain Jaska's mouth fell into a cocksure smirk.

"Word travels pretty far."

Old Zem
    An old familiar smile strained against gravity and wrinkles. Zem's eyes turned back to Loklorien but for a moment, before turning back to Captain Jaska.

"Maybe you can keep up with an old timer, then. Raxus Prime may not be First Order territory, but there's bound to be a bad egg or two."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast