Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arrow/Flash/Legends of Tomorrow

Minnie Starshine
    POC? I dunno what that means >.>.

I get having another evil speedster I guess, it's just... right down to the Flash logo flipped on his chest. If he isn't Reverse-Flash or related to him (or inspired by him), it just seems a bit silly to be repeated. Although I know he's called 'Zoom' and there's the whole 'Professor Zoom' for Reverse Flash name, so who knows?

TheHolo.Net Poster

Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Jace
    POC = Person Of Colour.

It's what white people call non-white people when we're trying really really hard not to offend anyone.

As far as Zoom/Professor Zoom... the Reverse-Flash character on Flash is actually an amalgam of two versions of the character. Eobard Thawne (Professor Zoom) is a big chunk of it, but the wheelchair elements, the idea of wanting to push the Flash to be better and better, and the working with the police to combat metahumans come from Hunter Zolomon (who went by just Zoom). Yeah, the reverse logo is maybe a little bit too on the nose, but I think if they'd gone with a different costume it would have been too much of a clue for the comic book nerds. A lot of what Arrow and Flash do is intentional misdirection so that nerds like me don't see everything coming a mile off... I'm kinda grateful for the effort they put in to make sure that the surprises are as agonisingly painful to me as they are to people who don't know the comics so well.

Minnie Starshine
    Oh. Where I grew up, that was considered more offensive, because it was implying that white people weren't a colour. Which they are. Then again, I'm pretty much half-caste so I just sit in the middle .

I will only excuse them if a) he turns out to be the Reverse Flash, or b) the Reverse Flash returns at some point and fights Zoom. Preferably kicking his butt

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Jace
    ...oh man. If Flash and Reverse-Flash ever team up to fight Zoom?

I may need to void my bladder before watching, else there might be excitement pee.

Minnie Starshine
    It would fit as Eobard/Harrison Wells kinda seems to like Barry, but I sorta just want to see Reverse Flash kick his butt and be awesome. I doubt they will though, due to the rule of escalating threats. Zoom has to be faster than Reverse Flash or its not as good of a threat for series 2.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Jace
    Unless it's full power Reverse-Flash because he's fixed whatever power seepage he was suffering from after travelling into the past.

Minnie Starshine
    Maybe he'll just have a growl off.
    "I can do a scarier voice than you!" "No! I can!"

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Jace
    Only if Thawne does that awesome stop............ in the middle of his sentences that he does.

Because damn it, it is impossible not to listen to him when he does that.

Minnie Starshine
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves how he does that >.>

They should just have an 'evil off'. "I wear all black!" "My eyes glow red for no apparent reason!"

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Jace
    So much about tonight's episode!

I really like Jay Garrick - he is instantly likeable (as he should be). I am surprised at how cool his costume managed to look: it's got a very Rocketeer vibe to it (one of my favourite movies of all time), which is how I've always hoped live action Jay Garrick would look... though I do have to wonder if he's wearing magnets in his hair to keep that hat on. I really liked the glimpses we got of Earth-2 - there's a very Fallout vibe to it, that whole "the future as imagined in 1940", and that is really really cool. [Was not expecting surprise Earth-2 Wells at the end either!!]

I love the vibe (pun intended) that the STAR Labs team has now. Everyone just seems to have their own little niche in the group, and while I do miss Wells being around, it doesn't feel like anything is missing. The banter between Cisco and Stein continues to be awesome, and I want to hug Professor Stein on a pretty much minute-by-minute basis, he has an awesome... "my favourite teacher" sort of vibe. [What the crap though Flash?! What did you do to him at the end there?!]

Also, of course there are 52 portals from Earth-2. The DC universe is nothing if not laughably consistent.

Having got a bit more of a glimpse at him... I'm not hating Zoom. He reminds me a little of Black Flash (the Grim Reaper for speedsters), which I'm sure is one of those intentional misdirects that the writers keep doing. The outfit isn't massively imaginative (just the Reverse-Flash but all-black), but that mask is awesomely creepy, and holy crap Tony Todd, I want to have his voice babies. I'm a little "hmm" about his suit resembling an Earth-1 Flash, but his origin being in Earth-2... I'm wondering if perhaps Jay wasn't being entirely honest about that origin story; there were a few moments where he seemed a little evasive.

And just... wow. Patty Spivot.

I just hope that if Barry/Patty becomes the new Oliver/Felicity, they'll have the decency to bring back Eddie Thawne somehow. Don't let Eddie and Iris become the new Tommy and Laurel.

AKA
    Jace
    And so begins Operation Lay The Groundwork For Legends.

SnowGarrick is still bugging me a little bit, but I'm going to let them off because a) Jay Garrick is awesome, and b) happy Caitlin is adorable. I really like the way that Cisco and Lisa has panned out too - before it was just silly/fun, but there's actually some substance to it now, and she's become an unexpectedly likeable character. Also, Barry and Cold having their little "date" talks is probably my favourite thing.

Probably not as super fanboy exciting for me as last week was, but that was some good solid well-written TV right there. That said, [I still think it would have been cooler if Iris' mother was still alive due to complicated time travel shenanigans rewriting the timeline rather than defaulting to "lie to Iris" as a plot device again.]

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Just hopping in to say that I am enjoying the second season of Flash... well, what I've seen of it! Only watched the first episode so far

Wish I had the time to catch up with Arrow, but I fear unless I'm struck by an illness that leaves me out of work for a fortnight, I'll never get back up to speed on that.

Scout Ravenwood
    I'm enjoying the show . I have a new theory on Zoom though:

I don't think he's from Earth 2 at all. I think he travels dimensions stealing the powers of speedsters. And I think he's going to turn out to be a version of Barry himself, from like, Earth 69 or something.

AKA
    Jace
    Pro tip: apparently Patty is always right. Never question her again.

Really like this Jax guy. The whole coach/quarterback dynamic makes a lot of sense (in some versions, Stein literally is a football coach), and I think the dynamic between Barry and Jax works better for Season 2. I love Ronnie, and Robbie Amell is great, but Ronnie has an older/stronger connection to pretty much the entire STAR Labs team, and he was a self-sacrificing big damn hero right out of the gate... that probably wouldn't have jived so well with Barry being in charge. I really hope he comes back at some point though - part of me is wondering if at some point, Ronnie will join with Caitlin. There's a version of Firestorm where the pair are romantically involved, and Caitlin Snow from the comics is an ice villain who is obsessed with Firestorm because he's the only guy who "makes her feel warm". Don't get me wrong, I absolutely want to see Caitlin on her own as Killer Frost... but the reason that Jackson worked with Stein and Hewitt didn't was because they were opposites, and that's something they've underscored a lot in terms of how Caitlin and Ronnie work as a couple.

I really missed Jay Garrick this week, and I'm sad that Cisco's new best friend won't be around for a little while... but holy crap Harrison Wells 2.0 looks like an effing badass, especially in the promo -

God damn it, The Flash. Harrison Wells is sexy enough already. Stop making him more so!

I took a screen grab of the better / non-vibrating version of Zoom we got this week. Definitely seems like they're trying to make comic book fans think of this guy, but I'm guessing that's a red herring. Part of me still suspects this guy (especially with the blue lightning)... but the guy in the suit is wearing contacts, his mouth is completely covered, and it looks like he's got black makeup on underneath to hide who he is. I don't think that it's Barry. There is a version (I think?) of Barry in the New 52 who is all blue and glowy... but Zoom just looks too beefy in that footage; and Speed Force or no, I just don't buy Tony Todd's voice being able to come out of Barry's mouth, no matter how much he vibrates his vocal chords.

What if instead it's either Henry Allen or Joe West? Fathers and father figures are a big part of the Flash, and with Joe possibly having another son, Henry's weird-as-hell exit from the show a few weeks ago, Jay Garrick being slightly paternal/mentor mode, and another Harrison Wells there to open old wounds... not to mention Colonel Cold, and the fact that we're getting a Jesse Quick soon, whose dad is a speedster in the comics... Zoom turning out to be someone's father would definitely fit with the pattern.

That said, Barry does have an evil twin associated with the colour blue, who in the comics is Eobard Thawne's 20th Century ancestor. What if Zoom is Earth 2's version of Eddie Thawne? Or, what if he's more like Black Flash and is some sort of "entity" that has hijacked Eddie Thawne's dead body after it got sucked into the rift?

Speaking of Wally West - I'm guessing that's this mystery son that Mama West had? If they're going that route instead of making Iris his aunt... I'm really intrigued by that. It makes for an interesting potential dynamic between Barry and Wally... instead of just being the guy his aunt is dating, Barry ends up being the "imposter" who was getting raised by Joe in Wally's place.

Something I'm intrigued to see is what colour Wally's lightning ends up being (and Jesse Quick, too). In the old comics, he has regular gold/Flash lightning, but in the New 52 his lightning is much more red, like Thawne's was. Will he recreate the experiment that gave powers to Jay and Barry, and get gold lightning? Will he get red lightning a la New 52, and if so will the way he gets his powers be connected to Eobard Thawne somehow? Or, will Wally's lightning end up being blue, because of some sort of Zoom connection, either because Zoom is evil older Wally West from the future... or because Zoom is Joe West, and the West family gets blue lightning?
    Last edited by Kid Flash; Oct 28th, 2015 at 01:36:27 AM.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    I lost it at [man-shark's appearance]

oh what a tangled web I weave

Not gonna lie, kinda hoping for a [King Shark vs Grodd] episode.
    It's like that, and that's the way it is.

Supergirl
    I thought the episode was fun, but fairly standard, expected stuff...

...until the last minute. That was so brilliant, and so unexpected lol. I loved it.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Jace

Hurry up next week.

Scout Ravenwood
    Just saw the latest Arrow. In terms of quality, it was a better quality episode than Flash, but then again, it didn't have a giant half-man half-shark so suck it Arrow.

In all seriousness, I feel like Arrow is actually better quality this year, but Flash maintains just being crazy comic book fun like no other show on TV (except maybe Supergirl, given the chance ). Looking forward to next week, although this just reminds me I need to actually finish watching Constantine the series. I love Matt Ryan as Constantine, although in that promo it does seem really weird seeing him hanging out somewhere as clean/clinical/hi-tech as the new Arrow lair.

I enjoyed tonight's episode, but switching up Doctor Light's identity didn't sit right with me. In the comics she's an astrophysicist (and STAR Labs employee) called Kimiyo Hoshi, and while I have absolutely zero qualms about the way that the CW mixes up characters for The Flash and Arrow, I guess this just felt like a wasted opportunity... the fact that she was Linda Park mattered for a grand total of about sixty seconds. I really hope the two Lindas is something they plan to revisit, and that we'll either a) end up with Doctor Light helping out with the fight against Zoom in future episodes, and/or b) get some scenes where Linda interacts with Linda. Otherwise... kind of a weird creative decision.

Oh and that girl, Wells' daughter? That's [the actress they announced as having cast as Jesse Quick, so... surprise, Harry, your daughter is / will be a speedster, I guess?]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast