Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: It had to start somewhere...

Aurelia lifted an eyebrow, unused to being questioned like that. She waited a moment, truly trying to figure out how to respond. Obviously she did not have someone she trusted with the job; if she had, the Nystrom's would not be in her office, sipping expensive tea.

"Do you ordinarily require seeing a client's calendar before taking on a job? Claire thought you would be trustworthy and looking for easy work," Aurelia challenged. "If she was mistaken, then I apologize for wasting your time."

"No, but not asking questions about a job, regardless of how simple it appears to be, are how smugglers end up dead," she challenged back, brown eyes narrowed in all seriousness before she leaned over, setting aside her mug of tea.

Clearly the mystique of the executive was wearing off on Nikole.

Ah, there's the sister I know, Kalyn mused.

"I truly do apologize if you feel that way. Perhaps we are finished negotiating. Kalyn?" she looked to her sister and began to rise, her twin following suit.

"No... wait, what?"

Aurelia frowned, feeling dismayed, then bewildered by that reaction. She thought it had to be pheromones of some kind because it wasn't like her to be so caught up in someone she'd just met. Especially a woman!

She sighed. "I am not able to personally pick up the bag. The next two weeks are going to be hellish for me. I thought that was clear. And, if I had someone I trusted to take care of this for me, you wouldn't be here; I'd already have someone on this. The job is yours if you want it. Just name your price."

Kalyn paused, watching Nikole's expression become completely fixed upon Aurelia. She could tell that her sister was debating her words and the truth of them.

"You have to understand my suspicions. I understood you had a busy schedule, but you are also a woman of immense power and resources. It was ... difficult to believe that someone within your organization couldn't be trusted with the task," Nikole explained, motioning for Kalyn to sit down. She soon followed and found it peculiar that their employer was quick to reel them back in, stunned at her own response.

Perhaps ... she was just as flustered as I am? But that's ridiculous. Not in a million years would someone like her, be attracted to someone like me ... despite how good I am at what I do.

"What did you have in mind for us?" she countered. "I wouldn't want to take advantage of you."

Her eyes barely widened, realizing how she meant it, but her hammering heart made her feel like it may have been taken an entirely different way.

Aurelia took a deep breath, relief clear on her face when the two women sat back down. It was clear to anyone who knew her that this was more than about getting her way, or retrieving the gift for Keir. Unfortunately, there were very few who knew her well enough to recognize that.

Her brows lifted slightly at Nikole's word choice, wondering if there was a subtle game of interest being played here. Auri opted to respond professionally though, not wanting to cause any further misunderstanding. There was a deal to close here, after all.

"Spec out for me your travel costs then," she replied evenly enough, "and I'll meet those with a considerable gratuity for the trouble. And... perhaps... dinner tonight as a personal thanks with home cooking? I know how hard it is to find a good Corellian restaurant even in this metropolis."

The tea had gone from hot to warm, but it was still delicious nonetheless as Nikole took a healthy swig while Aurelia outlined the arrangement. She had been following along in agreement until the dinner plans. That confidence she managed to cultivate back went poof in an instance because her mind was reeling with what that meant! Who invites beings you just met for a home cooked meal? Because that implied going to her home and she was actually preparing the meal. Was Aurelia starving for that much attention or companionship?

Nah... she probably has a dozen staff to do all that stuff. No way those manicured nails touch anything more than a pen in case it gets chipped.
    Once again her twin's silence made it clear Kalyn had to reinsert herself into the conversation. "You don't need to go out of your way to accommodate us for a meal, despite it being a captivating idea."

She spared a glance towards Nikole and smiled. "Though I will admit, bit homesick as of late. Been months since we've been on Corellia. I do miss the food."

And I can find an excuse to stay behind and allow Nikole some time alone with Aurelia so those two can figure out what's happening, if anything, between them.

"Delightful," Aurelia replied, flashing a genuine, thankful smile to Kalyn. "After all, we're nearly friends having a friend in common, hm?"

She provided her address in the posh residential district an airtaxi ride away. Aurelia also provided them the code they'd need with Vega in Coronet, and promised to comm ahead to him right away so all would be in order well before they shipped out. Despite the peculiar reaction she had to Nikole, Aurelia felt very good about the arrangements.

"So, I'll see you both this evening then?" she said, extending a hand to each of them.

"Quite true," Kalyn agreed and typed in the provided information into her datapad. "We'll bring by the estimated costs of flying to Corellia and back to dinner tonight."

She saved the information and slipped the pad inside her inner jacket pocket before rising, extending a hand. "Look forward to it," she said with a smile.

Nikole rose to her feet and shook Aurelia's hand next. Immediately a shiver that both thrilled and scared her passed through her body. She unconsciously tightened her grip and looked away, speaking quietly. "See you tonight, Miss Wayne."

Bemused, Kalyn's assumptions were all but confirmed now. Nikole hadn't been so shy since meeting her late girlfriend, Faithe. She was definitely going to ensure that these two had a nice dinner alone tonight.

"Until tonight."

Aurelia smiled, staring intensely at Nikole despite the way that the brunette looked away from her. When their hands separated, she curled hers into a fist, gently rubbing the pads of her fingers against her palm. She gave Kalyn a final nod as the women left.

Auri sagged against the now-closed door, closing her eyes. She tried to figure out what the hell had just happened! No one had ever gotten under her skin like that, especially considering that they'd only barely interacted!

"Gods above... I must be working too hard," she whispered.

And with that, Aurelia regrouped (again), and wrapped up what she absolutely had to in the office. She then debriefed Jamit on important items and took her airspeeder back to her apartment. Kicking off her killer heels, the young executive quickly tidied her place, which meant restacking datacards and fluffing up a few pillows in the living room. Glancing at the chrono, she set to work on elements of dinner in the stark kitchen before showering and changing into a simple black dress.

Dinner was just finishing in the oven, so Aurelia put the finishing touches on the salad and checked her stock of Corellian wines, pleased at the options they had. One last glance at the chrono and she realized her dinner guests should be arriving any minute.

Because Kalyn was plotting against her dear twin, she decided to not heckle Nikole on the way back to the ship. Instead they worked out the expense details and saved the information in a fresh datapad that Aurelia could upload from. It was clean and no other information on it. It was just how the Nystroms worked. Once they arrived back at the Ronan, Nikole went back to finish covering that panel, needing to bury herself in work and not think about the beautiful executive that had made the steely Morellian falter into a bashful bundle of nerves.

Kalyn had checked out their supplies and needed to replenish. She informed her sister she was taking Katja along and they would meet her at Aurelia's. They would take the rental speeder to store the supplies, and Nikole would take the air taxi. The eldest sister, by eleven minutes, thought nothing of it and changed into something more suitable for a business dinner, a tailored dark grey suit and deep blue blouse - unknowingly picking out a color similar to Aurelia's eyes. She also plucked an aged bottle of Corellian Red from their stock as a gift.

Her taxi arrived several minutes early and as they pulled up, the speeder was noticeably missing. She paid the driver and got out, immediately texting her sister.

Are you alright?

Of course. Just running a little late. Traffic.

Long as you two are okay?

Totally.

She laughed because that was definitely Katja.

Good. See you soon.

Stuffing her link into her pants pocket, Nikole walked up the stairs and could see the posh insides of Aurelia's apartment. It was completely sleek, modern and far too monochromatic for her tastes. She hit the buzzer and waited, bottled tucked under her arm with a foot tapping nervously as she hoped her sisters arrived soon. She needed back up in case she turned into a babbling idiot again.

Aurelia went to the door, smiling. The expression shifted for a just a moment when there was only one Nystrom woman at her doorstep, unsure which one it was until she saw the alarmed look on her face.

It's Nikole. Alone!

Unable to place how she felt about that because she was somewhere between thrilled, predatory, and scared to death quite suddenly. Aurelia plastered the confident smile back onto her face and nodded her head to her guest.

"Nikole, right? Please come in," Auri said, gesturing for her to enter with one hand. The other was gripping the doorknob with a vice grip. "Is your sister joining us still...?"

She immediately brushed past Aurelia, not commenting on her host's astute deduction she was Nikole, and was relieved for the few moments of silence to screw her head on properly so she can answer a simple, and logical, question.

"My sisters are stuck in traffic. I apologize for the delay," she explained, looking everywhere but Aurelia at the moment and realized her response warranted further information. "Katja is our youngest sister. There are three of us. Perhaps Claire mentioned that? Oh..."

Turning around, she pulled the bottle free and presented it to her awkwardly. "For you. Well ... us. All of us. For dinner."

Frak!

"No... Claire didn't. But that's fine. The more the merrier," she replied graciously.

Aurelia reacted quickly when Nikole thrust the Red toward her, accepting it. She spied the vintage and gave an approving nod.

"Thank you. This will go well with dinner."

She gazed at Nikole as the woman avoided eye contact. Aurelia tried to make sense of the feelings she experienced again and came up at a loss. There was one thing that was clear: Nikole did not seem to feel whatever it was she was dealing with. The brunette seemed anxious and annoyed at being alone in her presence.

"Well, please sit down. I'll pour us a glass now, if you don't mind. Dinner will be just a few minutes longer, so I hope your sisters arrive soon..."

Truth and lie
    ​, she thought.

"I ... I had a feeling it would," she admitted. Nikole had a penchant for wine as much as tea - and it helped that she knew the menu was Corellian. The red went with almost anything, but it was the aged quality that would make the taste spectacular.

That makes two of us ...

"Hopefully the traffic's not too bad." She took a seat and marveled at how soft the cushions were. "And thank you. I'd like a glass."

She tentatively peeked towards the kitchen, watching Aurelia move around it as easy as if she were in the office, admiring such grace a beauty. Swallowing down her nerves as best as she could, she needed to muster some strength in her voice. "Thank you again. For dinner. With your schedule so busy, this really was unnecessary."

"You're welcome," Aurelia replied as she poured.

She carried the glasses into the living room and passed one to the brunette, taking a moment to admire her appearance in non-rugged attire. Nikole cleaned up nicely, Auri thought.

"Despite Coruscant being a melting pot of cultures and identities, it's not that often I run across other Corellians besides those who moved with the company two years ago. So, it was my pleasure to be able to make something for us," she said. "I cook for my brother when he can get away... but you can imagine what his hours are like, finishing up medical school."

Sitting down across from Nikole, Aurelia swirled, sniffed, and sipped the exquisite wine with an approving nod. She crossed her legs and regarded her.

"Thank you again for bringing the wine. It's perfect."

Like you.

Auri, stop. What are you even thinking?

She's perfect.

She isn't even your type. What's wrong with you?

The thoughts raced through her mind as she gazed at her pensively, a delicate frown crossing her brows.

Taking the glass, grateful to have something to busy her hands with, Nikole afford a momentary gaze up at her hostess, before doing the same - swirling the glasses contents, inhaling its distinct blend, and then took a small sip to appreciate its flavor. She practically purred doing it.

"I'm glad you're enjoying it," she said with a heartfelt smile.

Licking her lips after taking another sip, she became thoughtful. "I can relate to your situation in a sense. To not having many of your kin around that is. It ... sometimes lonely that way. More so with your brother away at school. At least I've my sisters to keep me occupied."

"It is," Aurelia agreed. "And you're lucky to have them close. Keir is on-planet, but his schedule makes it like he's light-years away. Actually... so does mine."

She looked wistful at that, and took a sip of her wine. Expressing vulnerability made her uncomfortable, and it was twice now that Nikole had evoked that from her.

Strange.

Aurelia glanced at the chrono. She had the curious feeling that Nikole's sisters had abandoned her; her intuitions were usually right, but she wasn't sure what to make of that, if she was right.

"Have you been in your business for long?" Aurelia asked, steering the topic back to an easier topic. "I traveled with my parents in my youth... but it was being shuttled to Sith planets, or in and out of war zones, sometimes of their creation. not quite the same as working for yourself, I suppose...?"

Brown eyes grew sympathetic. As much as Katja drove her nuts, she loved her dearly and was grateful that their arguments haven't driven her away. At least they saw each other almost everyday, while Aurelia so far from her own kin despite being on the same planet.

Speaking of... where are they?

"Business reminds me of something I've almost forgot. Here." She produced a datapad from her jacket and slide it across the caf table. "Projected expenses as promised. But to answer your question, yes. We've been doing this for awhile. Sort of fell into it after our parents passed."

Admitting that made her uncomfortable because never spoke to strangers of such matters. It confused her as fer link chimed and she excused herself. "I'm sorry. I hope this is them letting me know they're almost here."

Not gonna make it.

Eyes widened in terror. Why not?!

Traffic was an accident. By the time we're rerouted, we're gonna be late. Taking Big Sis number 2 to a bar instead.

Are you joking?

Nope.

You're joking!

Nikole's panic said everything that needed to be said, especially at how hard she pounded at the keys. She eventually pocketed the link with distress and quickly took her glass once again. "They can't make it," she said through gritted teeth. "An accident occurred that would delay them for hours..."

Shaking her head with embarrassment, she sighed. "I'm so sorry for this."

Aurelia waited quietly as Nikole communicated with her siblings, studying her reaction. She could see the blind terror and panic on the smuggler's face and realized that her intuition was right. Aurelia looked down at the specs that had been provided while she waited, confirming payment of their costs for the journey to and from Corellia.

"No need to apologize," she said with a perfect sabacc face as Nikole confirmed the situation. "Coruscant traffic, you know. There's no avoiding it. Literally, at times."

Aurelia's eyes narrowed, trying to decide what the appropriate course of action was now. Nikole was clearly uncomfortable in her presence. Encouraging her to stay for dinner, no matter the jolt she felt by engaging with her, would be foolish. Right?

"You're... welcome to stay for dinner, if you like. But, I understand if this would be too uncomfortable." She rose, still holding her wine glass. "Two strangers, nearly, and... I'm sure you'd have things to do to prep for the trip..."

There were no lies with that. The accident that delay her family had all the emergency lanes flooded as well and unless they wanted to be complete asses and dart in and out of traffic while avoiding debris and the law, it was best that they went out for dinner instead.

"True," Nikole agreed pensively. That was until Aurelia outright stated how the Morellian was feeling.

She glanced down at her drink, trying to slow her rapidly beating heart. "I don't mean to come off as uncomfortable," she admitted and set down her glass. "And I'm sorry that you wasted your time preparing dinner for all of us."

Standing up, she awkwardly shuffled herself towards the door, but not before giving Aurelia a timid smile. "Thank you."

It was far easier to leave then try and figure out what it was about this woman that made her feel vulnerable and lost. Why she wanted Aurelia to find a way to make her stay can capitalize on this moment, instead of running ...
    Last edited by Nikole Nystrom; Oct 4th, 2015 at 08:40:39 PM.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast