Thread: Fresh Pair of Eyes

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilaena De'Ville View Post
    We are looking into implementing a "like" system where you can like posts if you enjoy it and don't have a rep comment to leave. Hopefully we'll be able to roll that out soon.
    As I mentioned in the chat, I have concerns about this, and I hope the matter will be raised for discussion prior to its implementation. In short, however, I'd just like the opportunity to disable the feature for myself if possible, so I don't have the option to like posts, or have my posts liked, or see other people's likes.

Quote Originally Posted by Droo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilaena De'Ville View Post
    We are looking into implementing a "like" system where you can like posts if you enjoy it and don't have a rep comment to leave. Hopefully we'll be able to roll that out soon.
    As I mentioned in the chat, I have concerns about this, and I hope the matter will be raised for discussion prior to its implementation. In short, however, I'd just like the opportunity to disable the feature for myself if possible, so I don't have the option to like posts, or have my posts liked, or see other people's likes.
    I'm with Droo on this, pretty much for the same reasons (I feel your post edited pain, Droo).

Also, I kinda like the Rep system as it is? I know we don't always remember to do it very often, but I think that makes it more "special" when you do get rep. Clicking a like button is easy, but working out how to articulate why you thought something was great gives it a bit more weight I think.
    It's like that, and that's the way it is.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    Well, the rep system is not changing or going away.

oh what a tangled web I weave

No, but if it's more convenient to just click "like" without having to think of a comment, isn't that going to make people use it even less?

Out of curiosity, what is the concern with a 'like' feature? (just curious - I probably wouldn't use it much myself, and I don't have access to the chat so don't know what people's concerns were)

"A Jedi must remain focused. Mastery of the Force requires that all unnecessary activities be purged from daily life."

(sorry, double post)

One suggestion I'd like to make - is there a way we can have the mods/admins of the board listed for easy perusal? Right now the only way I can find this info is by clicking the 'View Site Leaders' link at the bottom of the board, however that info also includes all the various group leaders, RP staff etc which makes the list very unwieldly to use.

If there isn't an existing option I might suggest a simple sticky in the Intro forum that lists the site mods/admins (RP mods/admins - if there are any left - could have a similar sticky thread in their relevant group forum).

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: W4BSY Steam ID: ApexLupine
    Yeah, I had made mention of that in the chat a week or so ago, and Holly brought it up in the admin forum, so we'll be putting together a simplified list asap.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    Quote Originally Posted by Atreyu View Post
    Out of curiosity, what is the concern with a 'like' feature? (just curious - I probably wouldn't use it much myself, and I don't have access to the chat so don't know what people's concerns were)
    I was shown an example of it on another forum. I disliked the aesthetic and felt it intruded upon the posts themselves in a much worse way than the "Edited by..." messages.

Also, and this part is personal, but if I notice my posts are not being liked, I will definitely feel disheartened about my writing. Secondly, I fear there will be an element of obligatory liking going on - someone who has experienced this on another forum confirmed this sort of thing occurs - when people just like each other's posts because they're in a thread together. A liking etiquette evolves, and suddenly, I'm paranoid I'm not liking people's posts enough. Yes, I am something of a people-pleaser in the sense that I'd feel compelled to like everything because I'd hate to be singling anyone out, or making people feel upset or demoralised because I don't like their post. And then, the like becomes a meaningless courtesy.

Overthinking things? Absolutely. I know that, but that is me. I would just like the option to avoid the feature altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Loklorien s'Ilancy View Post
    Yeah, I had made mention of that in the chat a week or so ago, and Holly brought it up in the admin forum, so we'll be putting together a simplified list asap.
    Sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by Droo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Atreyu View Post
    I was shown an example of it on another forum. I disliked the aesthetic and felt it intruded upon the posts themselves in a much worse way than the "Edited by..." messages.

Also, and this part is personal, but if I notice my posts are not being liked, I will definitely feel disheartened about my writing. Secondly, I fear there will be an element of obligatory liking going on - someone who has experienced this on another forum confirmed this sort of thing occurs - when people just like each other's posts because they're in a thread together. A liking etiquette evolves, and suddenly, I'm paranoid I'm not liking people's posts enough. Yes, I am something of a people-pleaser in the sense that I'd feel compelled to like everything because I'd hate to be singling anyone out, or making people feel upset or demoralised because I don't like their post. And then, the like becomes a meaningless courtesy.

Overthinking things? Absolutely. I know that, but that is me. I would just like the option to avoid the feature altogether.
    Makes sense, thanks for the feedback. If a 'like' feature were implemented I'd probably hardly use it myself.

(I've used the feature on TFN, and I admit it can feel a little bit awkward when others posts are getting liked in a thread but not your own, makes you feel left out and/or being ignored)

For the record, I'm also not really down with a "Like" system on the boards. Yes, some people do enjoy them, but to me, they're a trivial annoyance, and can lead to hurt feelings if someone doesn't feel they're getting "liked" enough. I've seen enough Facebook pity parties about not getting "likes," and I'd prefer to keep that sort of drama from infecting this place.

And, if we are to implement it, I'm with Droo in that I'd like a way to disable it for my accounts, so I can neither "like" or be "liked." It's just cleaner, that way.

I see the Mod/Admin list is now up. Good job.

... though Empire] (sic) is misspelt.

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Ha, that's what I get for rushing, lol. Thanks for the spot All fixed now.

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Renamed the Alliance and Empire subforums. If anyone has any better ideas for the blurbs just let me know.

Just noted the listing of mods/admins in the forum descriptions. Is there a way to combine them so that it's a single line, as opposed to having 'Moderated by: TheHolo.Net' on the top of the description and then 'Moderators: (list of names)' at the bottom of the description? Or is it just a quirk of the software?

Attachment 2888

EDIT: after clicking around I now realise the 'Moderated by: TheHolo.Net' is actually a link to the FAQ, so I'm guessing it's manually added to the description. The FAQ is actually in need of updating (it still mentions group forums that no longer exist etc), but with a dedicated Intro forum with sticky threads of up-to-date info having the link in the forum descriptions might now be a bit redundant. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Atreyu; Sep 17th, 2015 at 06:31:18 PM.

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Yah, it's manually added in. I'll get with Ogre to see if he's cool with cleaning it out.

Proprietor / Admin
    AKA
    Ogre / Chris
    Go for it

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

In that case, I've cleaned it up.

I don't really care about likes one way or the other. If given the preference between two options available for use, I'll probably stick with the existing reputation system because I enjoy it a little more.

Just noting some little discrepancies:

* The 'Moderators' list under each forum has disappeared (except, curiously, the Hobby forums which still have Carr listed underneath). Bug or removed?

* Miranda Tarkin has the title 'Super Moderator' under her name - is it a special position that sits between a normal mod and admin, or just an old title that hasn't been updated?

* On the Staff list, there's the heading 'SW Roleplay Planning & Discussion' but no-one is listed underneath.
    Last edited by Atreyu; Oct 4th, 2015 at 08:56:30 PM.

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

SuperMod is pretty much a Board Mod. The permissions and whatnot are different than our last version of vBulletin. We're switching Board Mods over to SuperMods so that their abilities are the same as what they once were. As for why the Board Mods aren't showing up, it might be because we're going through the switch. That's my best guess though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast