Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Musical Chairs

TheHolo.Net Poster

Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Jace
    There he was, and there it was: a son of Alderaan with his unbreakable resolve. It didn't matter how hard the galaxy tried to crush Alderaan under foot: the façades might crack and fracture, but the heart inside every Alderaanian was harder than diamond, and would never break.

"A fortunate coincidence then," Adonis lied, finishing the last touches to the final piece of his subterfuge. It was a long practised skill, one that Adonis had honed during his days serving the Empire: typing something on a datapad while making it seem as if you were searching for something that you had prepared earlier. Quite the valuable skill for the kind of man that Adonis had been back then, lazy and uncommitted, leaving everything to the last possible moment. It felt strangely fitting that such a talent had finally found himself a benevolent use.

With an expression that made it seem as if Adonis had finally discovered what he was looking for, he twisted the datapad around and handed it to the pilot. "I'm sorry that this is so last minute: I only received the assignment a few hours ago myself, and getting a transfer proposal cleared through Command takes time."

Oisin was still confused, and Adonis had to fight against a small amused smile at that.

"I've been placed in command of the Destiny, and I'm being deployed to Jovan Station to help coordinate the intelligence efforts along the border. I've been pulling together what crew I can, especially since Captain Terius is taking some of his officers with him. I need a First Officer; preferably one who is familiar with reconnaissance operations and telemetry, and you're the best option I have available."

His gaze shifted to the airlock again, imagining the starship beyond.

"She's no X-Wing, but I'll wager that the bridge of the Destiny will be a damn sight less mind-numbing than flying training missions with a bunch of Alliance rookies."

Adonis stood and watched, his mind and training decoding the various shifts and twitches of expression that belied the thoughts bouncing back and forth in Oisin's mind. The pilot didn't speak, clearly not quite sure how to react to his unexpected and seemingly coincidental good fortune. Adonis pressed the datapad into his hands, his expression softening into one of knowing, one that hinted at the ulterior motive lurking behind this turn of events. A hand gently placed itself on Oisin's shoulder.

"I'll arrange for your belongings to be collected from your quarters. You go tell your family the news."

And with that, Adonis strode past Oisin and off up the corridor, leaving the pilot still dumbfounded outside the airlock. The Commander tugged a fresh datapad from his pocket as he walked; he was supposed to have been headed to the ship, but it wouldn't take long to circle around and come back; the staging and theatrics of it all seemed worth a few moments of delay. He smiled to himself as he tapped his way through the datapad menu, beginning a new message to be transmitted to Admiral Tyree.

I'm taking Oisin Ocasta - long story. Transfer forms to follow. I owe you one.

He hesitated, staring at those last four words blinking on the screen before he corrected.

I owe you another.

Chrys Atreides
    I worry I won't see your face
    Light up again

Even the best fall down sometimes
    Even the wrong words seem to rhyme
    Out of the doubt that fills my mind
    I somehow find
    You and I collide

The melody threaded through her head, the soft tones emerging as a half-hearted hum as she cradled the twins in her arms, their faces buried in the soft fabric of her sweater. The few things they'd carried onto the ship were stowed neatly away near their seats, and both Emma and Brianne were doing their level best to leave every last tear and sniffle they could produce on her shoulders. Chrys didn't mind in the least that they did, and if she were to be honest, wished she could do much the same.

They had some measure of privacy with the seats aboard the luxurious craft, and even an extra one which she thought would be a boon if and when the girls exhausted themselves into sleep. Would that there was a welcome presence to fill that seat and to share the burden he had so willingly picked up without her having asked. He'd fit so seamlessly into their lives it was as if he had always been there. And that tore her heart apart anew. After Lorrd, and the time it took for her to pull herself together after she'd healed, Chrys knew well she wouldn't have been half as successful if Oisin hadn't been there for her.

For all three of them.

I'm quiet you know
    You make a first impression
    Well, I've found I'm scared to know
    I'm always on your mind

Even the best fall down sometimes
    Even the stars refuse to shine
    Out of the back you fall in time
    I somehow find
    You and I collide

There was a quiet announcement, discreet in its volume to the point where she couldn't hear half the words. Chrys shook her head and tilted it down to press a kiss against each trembling head, the twins' soft blonde curls tied up in tiny pink ribbons. There were distant sounds of a door softly whooshing open and closed again, and a set of hurried footsteps striding down the hall. They almost sounded like his, but she dismissed the thought as sheer wishful thinking on her part. The woman stepped back a bit and gazed briefly down the corridor and saw nothing, before she sighed quietly and steadfastly ignored the dampness on her cheeks, voice faintly giving rise to the last few lyrics.

Even the wrong words seem to rhyme
    Out of the doubt that fills your mind
    You finally find
    You and I collide

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123