Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Return of the Jedi

"Taanab is a farming planet. They don't have a history of much but agriculture. Don't need to go digging into the archives to learn that," Hal replied. It came out a bit snippier than he intended, and he immediately hung his head.

"I'm sorry, I took us all off topic," he said, rubbing the bridge of his muzzle. "I came here because I am tired of being on my own. There's only so much time a man can take to find himself, and find myself, I have. I am a Jedi Knight, in an Order that can use my help. Yes, some of my skills are better suited to urban environments, but still, there's got to be something I can do, here, that is of value."
    Last edited by Halajiin Rabeak; May 11th, 2015 at 09:17:41 AM.

"The archives in this Library predate the Great Sith war. If there was a record of previous darkside activity on Tanaab, however old it is, it would be good to know. However, I am sure that the archivists and librarians among us can be directed to turn over any such evidence that they uncover while they continue to catalog and preserve. There is no need for Halajiin himself to do this. Of course," she reminded Hal gently, "You seem to have a knack for getting information out of the library. You can forgive this Council for assuming you enjoyed doing so - or perhaps it was the clandestine nature of your expeditions that drew you back again, and again."

She tapped the edge of the datapad in her hand with a finger. "I am glad to hear you wish to integrate with this Jedi Order, Halajiin. If you do not wish to return to your studies at the Great Library, with the Council's blessing this time, then I am sure we can find something else for you to do."

Serena looked at Zem. "You are right, of course, that we cannot throw the proverbial baby out with the bathwater when it comes to our dealings with the Alliance. However, I also want to be sure we are not placing the Order back into the position we were at in the beginning of the Clone Wars. Knight Rabeak has his experiences with the Jedi and the old Republic, but ours have been different - even if it was just a subtle twist of the relationship he remembers, a twist it was, and the Dark side polluted everything. And even today you well know how the Sith easily pulled the wool over the eyes of this Alliance. It is a fine line to walk that brings us to a continued partnership with the Alliance of Free Planets. You will forgive me if I am slow to place my trust in them."
    Last edited by Serena Laran; May 11th, 2015 at 09:49:28 PM.

there is no passion; there is serenity
    there is no death; there is the Force

"So, I need the Council's blessing to look at books in the Jedi library?" Hal asked, raising an eyebrow. "Silly me, I thought I was a Jedi. They're the property of the whole Order, not just the Council, if you'll pardon me."

The Nehantite locked his eyes upon Serena's at that, and remained there. "I went exploring, yes, and I took books, tablets and data devices, yes. But I believe you'll find that my transcriptions and research are superior in their quality than that of the research teams going in there with your blessing. And it's not like I've abused the materials I've taken. Ask Master Solomon, he'll confirm that everything in my possession is in excellent condition, and is thoroughly organized. I wasn't going to the Library because I was told not to, I was going because it was there, and it was something useful I could do. My apologies if there was some memo I didn't get."

TheHolo.Net Poster

Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Andrew
    And it had been going so well.

"Knight Rabeak, I'll thank you to check your tone when speaking to this Council," Solomon said. "And since you apparently didn't get the memo, access to the Great Jedi Library has been restricted, even for members of the Council. It is a delicate archaeological site, and many of the structures inside still need shoring up before they're safe to explore. As impressive as your research is, you likely could have benefited from coordinating with the dig teams rather than sneaking past them."

The sigh of defeat which collapsed the Nehantite's chest, and brought down his proud shoulders was so palpable, even those who could not feel the Force in his emotions would have known. Head nodding, Hal stepped back to the center of the room, paws clasped behind his back.

"My apologies, Masters," he said. His voice was calmed, collected, yet still carried with it a twinge of remorse. "I will not go back into the Library without permission. I thought what I was doing was helping. I'm... used to doing what I feel is best, first, and sometimes having to ask for forgiveness, later. That was my role before the last Council. This adjustment has not been easy. I have spent a great deal of my time in seclusion trying to catch up on what I've missed, but, in doing so, I've missed out on the growth of this Order. And I've missed out on my place in it. I can't promise to be perfect. Though I will try my hardest, some old habits are hard to break. I want to be a Jedi. I want to be the kind of Jedi that I saw my Council praise and respect. I want to be the kind of Jedi that I never was, and never was allowed to be. I guess that's why I'm here. I want a second chance. I want to be able to prove, not only to you, but to myself, that I can be a real Jedi. Not just someone the Order had to take in and make the best of."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    Zem listened to Halajiin's empassioned pleas, and gestured simply to Serena.

"You already have your permission, Knight Rabeak. The work you've done in the past, though without our mandate, has been both thoughtful and respectful. It is clear that not only do you have talent for it, but you have drive to see it through. All we ask is for coordination in your efforts. Report to this council. Coordinate with the research teams. Be mindful not only of the delicate situation in the library, but also the potential for the discovery of something dangerous."

There was something inherent that made Zem uneasy about anyone traversing the library alone.

"These archives are ancient. They harbor not only the sum of the old order's existing teachings and records, but they are also rumored to hold captured knowledge. Forbidden knowledge that must not be warded over lightly. However the task is done, it must be done with great care. But rest assured, it must be done."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

[insert vespa picture]

"Please feel free to come to us when you need something. We are all engaged in our own projects, but if you ever feel stumped and need guidance, or at least a Sounding Board, we can make ourselves available to you. Thank you for taking on this task. Our Order is depending on you to see it through."

Wei saw no reason for the meeting to continue for much longer. "Is there anything else?"

"When will I be able to take on a padawan?" Hal replied.

The question was as blunt as cannon fire, but the expression on his face gave no indication that he was anything but serious.

"If I am a Knight, and this order is to grow, we have to train as many as we can. I have skills unlike yours. If I cannot teach them to others, we may lose them, and it could be hundreds, perhaps thousands of years before someone else researches enough to discover them again."

The Nehantite's paws didn't move, nothing about him changed, other than starting into a gentle pacing back and forth, while from the hardwood floor rose a mist. It was not white as a fog would be, nor as dense, instead it was dark, and grainy. the mist began to swirl around Hal as he came to a stop, his gaze shifting between each of the Masters while he held out his paw. The mist grew tighter in its spinning cloud, first into a narrow band, then into a sort of hoop before something became visible within it. A dark core began to spin around Hal, the hoop growing smaller as it grew larger unto only that core remained, and it slowed to a halt, coming to rest upon his palm. Stepping forward, Hal placed the item onto the table before the masters, then backstepped to the center of the area before them.

It was a small model, approximately three inches in height, formed of wood resin and powdered organic matter. It was of himself, naturally, striking an action pose, lightsaber in paw, one arm outstretched and fingers splayed. Despite its small size, the detail was remarkable, and as the masters looked at it, Hal smiled. "Not that we need toys made, but... I'm the first guy to be able to do that since Debrius Gul, over three thousand years ago. Read his book in the old Archives on Coruscant. Got a few other party tricks we might not want to lose, too."

It was an impressive display, and Serena picked up the figure, turning it over in her hands. "You will have a padawan, in time." She looked at her fellow council members, and they nodded.

"We will match you when we find a compatible student for you, Halajiin. And when you have shown that this," she indicated his clothing, "is more than simply getting your laundry done. Until then, we do have students, and other Jedi who could benefit from your knowledge. Perhaps some one on one tutoring with those who are sufficiently advanced...?" She looked at Solomon for corroboration, or suggestion. He knew the Nehantite Jedi the best, after all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12