Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Devil Marches On

Open Thread The Devil Marches On

Xanatos sat cross legged on the floor of the brig aboard the Whaladon. The ship was oddly quiet as it seemed the main functions of life had transferred to the camp and construction site, and it was admittedly a touch eerie sitting alone in an ever quiet space with no windows and only one locked door.

Supposedly there was a guard on him, though they had not been forthcoming with conversation up to this point. Still, he had been told he'd be allowed to ask questions regarding the Force and it's nature, perhaps even study some. His curiosity had only continued to grow the longer he had been left alone with naught but his own thoughts. He stood slowly, stretching and finally knocking on the locked door.

"If it's not too much to ask, I don't suppose I could get some manner of reading material?"

He really wasn't sure who he was expecting to answer, but hoped that someone would.

TheHolo.Net Poster

Has anyone ever told you that the configuration and juxtaposition of your features is extraordinarily apposite?

Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Charley
    "I can help with that, sure."

The Jedi guard parted the door of the brig with a mindful eye as red-haired woman entered. She looked fairly nondescript. Unlike the Jedi in his tunic and robe, she wore unremarkable casual attire, save for an Ident badge worn on her jeans. As she entered, so too did the guarding Jedi, who stood away from the pair, yet clearly in sight of both.

"Is that necessary?"

"Council's orders. Mr. Etanial's visitations are supervised."

The red-haired woman considered this briefly, nodding her head affably.

"That's fine."

Her green eyes returned to the reason why she was here, and she extended a hand to Xanatos.

"Xanatos Etanial? I'm Eluna Thals. Captain of Alliance Intelligence. I'm your debriefing contact."

He took her hand with a smile. "It's a pleasure to meet you Ms. Thals, and I must say I'm thankful to finally have the opportunity to speak to someone again. It gets a little maddening in here with my own thoughts."

He gave a polite nod to the Jedi guard who stood in the corner observing them, and was not the least bit surprised when no such politeness was returned. Word of exactly who he was, and what he had been was likely starting to get out. That was another life though, and one he was very much hoping to leave behind. Speaking to Alliance Intelligence would be a first step toward moving on he hoped.

TheHolo.Net Poster

Has anyone ever told you that the configuration and juxtaposition of your features is extraordinarily apposite?

AKA
    Charley
    Behind the illusion, the Girl stirred at Xanatos' words.

It gets a little maddening in here with my own thoughts

She took it in wistfully from her menagerie. Here, she was mainly a spectator. The Machine had work to do. It set the pace of the mission at hand. First off was rapport building. The Girl was an easy assist.

"Could get you some crayons for mural work too, I guess."

An affable little smile, she kept the encounter charming but not schmaltzy.

"Well hopefully your time in here won't be for too long. As for myself, I'm just passing from Bothawui and back and was asked to handle your case file, so here I am. Before we begin, do you have any questions that I can address?"

"Ah, yes, and this is for... you as well." he motioned at the Jedi. "I mentioned something to read. If possible I'd like something that could get me started learning more about the Jedi teachings. Beyond that I would very much like to be an open book, Ms. Thals to make this as easy as possible."

He motioned to the small, hard cot that had been made up for his stay inside the ship's brig and sat down at the edge of the bed to give the Alliance officer as much space as she needed. He wasn't sure what potential paperwork she may need to spread out while they talked.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    "I can get you something to read."

Eluna nodded along.

"Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but I'm sure I can pass your request along."

Eluna took a seat adjacent to Xanatos on the cot.

"Let's start from the beginning of your relationship with the Imperial Inquisitorius. If you can, describe events and give times and names as you're able to recall."

He nodded, considering what he could recall. "Oh... I want to say it was around 4 years ago? I was on Coruscant when the Inquisition picked up up under suspicion of being Force adept. My contact while I was detained was one Victor Crestmere, Inquisitor. He was the man who recruited me to the Empire and the Inquisitorius. I worked under Inquisitor Helghast, and I was briefly a part of what was known as Project Nightmare, where I was placed in an Intelligence role - though only after I was tested in several potential positions for the organization. As such my actual hands on field activity was minimal, and usually saw me following with an established squad."

He shifted at the memories, while he hadn't done much for the members of Project Nightmare, only seeing a few field experiences, those few had left enough of a lasting impression on him to make him uncomfortable now, with the knowledge of what he was a party to. Of the understanding of the lies the Empire had fed to him.

"When that project was suspended, 2 years or so after I entered the service of the Empire, I sought a transfer to Imperial Intelligence. Direct field work didn't agree with me..." He shook his head, again remembering what had happened on Bespin. "And I found myself sat mostly behind a desk."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    The Machine sorted and prioritized the data given. Most of this information was of little use, having been either already corroborated or no longer fresh enough to be relevant. At the least, it was specific enough to give credence to the veracity of Xanatos' claims.

More relevant to Eluna's interest was the more recent data he could manage.

"Tell me about your service with Imperial Intelligence. You mentioned having issues with the field work given."

He sighed, shaking his head at the thought. Bespin, she was asking about Bespin. He knit his fingers together and leaned forward, forcing himself to remember the events.

"It was my first assignment after transferring - as I had experience from my time with the Inquisitorius and Project Nightmare I was put in command of a small squad of Agents tracking a believed defector hiding on Bespin."

He scratched his chin, eyes wandering the ceiling as he spoke, "What was his name... Tyrelle? I think it was..." He shook his head slightly to try and clear the cobwebs, "I really wish I could remember more clearly, I feel awful that I don't." He let out a soft sigh and continued. "We found him hiding in an apartment complex in Tibannopolis. We locked down the local citizenry and went in. Minimal resistance. We found him on the 5th floor of the complex, I remember that. I gave the order to kick in the door of the apartment and he was just huddled there, fear in his eyes, staring at us. Swore up and down he wasn't defecting, that it was politics at play. Someone in command wanted him dead because he had information that put them at risk with their superiors. It was obviously false, it just seemed too... obvious. But something about the look in his eyes, the way he spoke, the conviction that he spoke with."

He made a small 'tchting' noise with his lips, the memory hard on him, "It made me wonder. What if. What if it was just someone wanting him gone because they wanted him gone. I asked for clarification from command, recommended extracting him for further review, let him make his case before the Imperial Centre."

Xanatos got quiet. "The order was clear. He was a defector, and we were to terminate him." Xanatos wrung his hands slowly, "So we did. I started having trouble sleeping after that. Put in inquiries to my superiors about the situation, wanted to be sure that we had done the right thing. I heard nothing back from my inquiries for a month, my work suffered as a result and finally I received a reply, but not the one I expected. I was being reassigned, off of field duty and into the data management pool."

His shoulders slumped, shaking his head slowly. "Tyrelle Marcellus. His name was Tyrelle Marcellus."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    It took picoseconds for the Machine to already match the admission to a case file already assembled. Alliance intelligence had assets in play on Bespin during the testified events, and this too was corroborated. One thing was missing.

"Who gave the kill order?"

He shook his head a bit, it was in there, he was certain of it. His brow knit as he tried to remember who had given the order. He knew that he was aware of it, he recalled it being on the report he had filed afterward. Who was... recognition dawned in his eyes.

"Moff J'rvin." He locked eyes with hers, nodding to himself slowly. "The order was signed by Moff J'rvin."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    "Ah."

Eluna blinked momentarily, then smiled affably. A key piece of an unseen puzzle fit into play, and the Machine archived that for further analysis. Returning to matters at hand, Eluna laced her fingers together in her lap.

"So the end result was that you were desk bound after the incident on Bespin. Explain your duties there. If possible, include areas of influence, fields of operation, and any involved parties. Agents dispatched, superiors attached to orders."

Eluna placed a hand on Xanatos' shoulder.

"I understand it may be a lot to ask, but the quicker we're settled here, the sooner you can get back to your studies. I'd rather not inconvenience you more than I have to."

He knit his hands together and considered the question. "I will answer to the best of my abilities, Ms. Thals. I was initally placed into the data management pool as I said, my immediate superior was Col. Jarred Antiran, I served under him for roughly 6 months, and was..."

Xanatos continued, speaking freely to the extent he could remember each event, transcribing events of importance that had stood out. More than an hour passed, and the knight in the corner jerked upright, drawing attention away from the conversation occurring between the Alliance Intelligence officer, and the former Imperial one.

The Knight straightened and fought the urge to sigh at the fact that they were still going over a number of facts and information that was boring him to sleep. He'd thought being assigned to guard a former Imperial would have been more interesting than this, but all of this technical talk meant nothing to him.

"I'll let you wrap up, Captain."
    He said, hoping to hurry this process along as he walked to the door. "Give a knock when you are finished." He had supervised most of the visit, and if he didn't get a cup of stimcaf before too much longer he'd be useless for the rest of his shift. He exited, locking the door behind him. He'd just be down the hall, afterall, and it was becoming apparent that Xanatos had no interest in trying to leave.

Xanatos watched him go, giving a soft shrug at the Knight's actions before turning back to Eluna. "Should we continue - or would this be a point that you'd like to break at? It seems we may be boring our chaperone."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    Xanatos had been a fount of information. Most of it by this point was too stale to be practical, but there were some mentions of assets they still knew to be in play, and operational priorities within Imperial Intelligence that could be exploited. Surely his code clearances were by now void, although Eluna gathered any pass keys he could recall in the rare chance a clerical misstep may have allowed them the use of a back door.

"I think we're just about done here, Mr. Etanial."

Eluna didn't stand, however. They were alone for once, and the Alliance operative felt the vacancy allowed her to speak somewhat more candidly.

"You've got a unique insight into Imperial operations. It would be a shame if that talent wasn't put to use. While you stay on Ossus, I hope you consider the possibility of putting your skills to work for the Alliance. The war might be over, but in our line of work, it never really is."

He'd expected this, honestly sooner than this and had hoped that maybe it wasn't coming. He shook his head, "Ms. Thals if I can be direct? I have no real assurance that the Alliance is any better than the Empire. While I certainly hope that is the case, I do not feel it is responsible to immediately return myself to a life that may require compromises that I am unwilling to make."

He considered how much power she likely had in his ability to be removed from this cell in the future, and shook his head despite the risk. "I will consider the offer, for a time when I can make a more informed decision, but for the moment I must decline."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    The Machine filed away Etanial's file under Prospect, making no further attempt on the matter. He'd be observed, and if there was a change in his situation, he may yet be more receptive to recruitment.

"I understand. It's been a harrowing journey for you, Mr. Etanial."

Eluna rose to her feet, offering a hand to shake.

"Thank you for your cooperation. This should conclude our debriefing. I may have additional questions later, but nothing further at this time."

He too stood, taking her hand and shaking, bowing ever so slightly as he did so in respect. "It has been a privilege, Ms. Thals. If you do need me for anything, well, I'm very certain you'll know where to find me."

He smiled brightly and returned to sitting on the floor, for more contemplation and meditation, though caught himself before she had a chance to leave, "Ah! And, if you could possibly put in a word for that reading material? I would be ever so grateful."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    A furtive smile responded to his observation of knowing where to find him. Certainly, the Girl and Machine were of one mind. As she put a hand on the door to knock for exit, Eluna turned a shoulder back to the former Imperial, nodding in understanding.

"I'll make sure you have something to pass the time. Thank you again, Mr. Etanial."

Finally knocking, Eluna waited for the Knight to open the door to her and permit her exit.

Xanatos watched the door finally open and the Knight step in to inspect the room, careful to be sure that nothing was out of order before stepping aside and allowing the Alliance agent to leave. He closed his eyes and thought on everything he had done while an Imperial, he could never remove those stains, but perhaps he could reflect on them, grow from the experiences. He still had much to learn.

-- Some days later --

Ms. Thals had come through with her promise of finding him something to pass the time with. A collection of Flimsi, some bound, some loose covered the entire mattress, the bedroll and pillow had been moved, spread out on the floor, where Xanatos had taken to sleeping. The bed itself had transformed into a desk, which he now knelt at, reading through the collected work. Some of it fiction, some of it philosophy, he'd even been allowed a few copies, not the originals mind you, of some Jedi texts to study from.

He let out a long breath, eyes closing as he thought over the collected volumes. Even in so short a time, he was finding a surprising level of inner peace with his surroundings. For the first time in his life he truly felt free, even if he were still a prisoner.

There is no emotion, there is peace.
    There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
    There is no passion, there is serenity.
    There is no chaos, there is harmony.
    There is no death, there is the Force.

He meditated on the words, looking inward to try and and find the reflection within himself for each teaching.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Probably would have taken over the Galaxy by now, if she wasn't so easily distracted by brightly colored balls of yarn
    AKA
    Andrew
    Xanatos's studies were interrupted by a hollow rapping at the metal hatchway, followed by a feminine voice with a purring lilt calling through, "Lunch!" Without further preamble, the door locks p-chunked free and the door rocked inward, admitting a black-furred felinoid in a red vest and trousers bound below her knees with linen wraps, down to the ankles of her bare, padded feet. The feline held a tray in her paws with a meager offering from the mess hall: a bowl of quivering, coiled noodles bathed in a questionable cheese sauce and a sandwich of cold nuna salad, along with a carton of iced Dantaari tea. At the small of her back, just above a freely swaying tail, was the ebony-lacquered haft of a saber staff in a contact holster.

Akasha Khan looked at the blue-haired prisoner, then down at the ongoing literature review scattered across his bed, and back at Xanatos again. "Where do you want it?"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast