Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: Rogue One

Star Wars: Rogue One

That's the title for the first stand alone Star Wars film. It's going to start filming this summer and has a release date of Dec. 16, 2016. Gareth Edwards is directing and the first cast member announced is Felicity Jones. A new film every year, good times, good times indeed.

"Dad, you killed the zombie Flanders!" "He was a zombie?"

I have to say, I'm fascinated how these stand-alone films are going to turn out (maybe even more than the upcoming trilogy, simply because SW has never done stand-alone films before).

Curious about the name 'Rogue One' - a possible reference to a new Rogue Squadron perhaps? Or maybe the name is just a coincidence.

"A Jedi must remain focused. Mastery of the Force requires that all unnecessary activities be purged from daily life."

TheHolo.Net Poster

Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Andrew
    Back when it was announced they would be doing standalone movies, a Rogue Squadron movie was one of the first ideas that came up. I'm pretty positive that's what we're getting here.

Of course, it doesn't have to be set in the sequel era - it could even be about the formation of the original squadron during the Civil War. Either way, with The Force Awakens almost undoubtedly being a Jedi-centered plot, I'm thrilled that we're going to see other sectors of the Star Wars universe featured as well. Rogue One could be your war movie. A Han Solo prequel could be a heist/crime drama. So many possibilities to explore!

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    With the EU thrown out, it'll be interesting to find out what it will end up being. Are they going to use some of the EU stuff or just start fresh with...?

oh what a tangled web I weave

I believe they're starting out completely fresh, but new events are being put in place. Disney/Lucasfilm is getting ready to release close to 20 books that will fill in the gap between ROTJ and TFA. Some of them will be novels, young adult books, etc. I believe one of the first ones will be released in September and pick up right after ROTJ. I remember reading the EU novel that took place after ROTJ and it was pretty forgettable, I can't even remember the title.

I find the idea of a Rogue Squadron movie great. It was always one of my favorite vehicles and I think there's a lot of potential there. Disney clearly wants this new Star Wars cinematic universe to function just like Marvel. We're going to keep seeing SW movies now until they stop making money.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

What, you can't remember the Thrawn Trilogy?? Or do you mean the Truce at Bakura?

The Thrawn trilogy was amazing, but I think you've got it with the Truce at Bakura. I believe that's the one that had Luke in command of a fleet and sitting on the bridge of a starship still suffering from the after effects of the Emperor's Force lightning. I could look up a timeline, but I'm too lazy.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Hmm, maybe. My memory on the details is fuzzy, besides the sentient dinosaurs using the life force of everyone to power their tech.

anyway, looking forward to the movie and the new books!

SW: Rogue One teaser was shown at Celebration the other day and had been uploaded to YouTube, but Disney have already swooped on it and shut it down.

EDIT: FOUND A VIDEO LINK GO GO GO

https://vid.me/4eLe

(earlier) EDIT: someone managed to make an animated GIF of it :

And we have a synopsis from Twitter as well:

A band of resistance fighters unite for a daring mission to steal the Death Star plans in Star Wars anthology film, Rogue One #RogueOne
    Last edited by Atreyu; Apr 20th, 2015 at 08:43:42 PM.

If it's stealing the Death Star plans, I hope this movie plays out like The Dirty Dozen. That would be amazing.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

that is amazing D:

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: W4BSY Steam ID: ApexLupine
    Oh... oh WOW O_O

Quote Originally Posted by Charley View Post
    If it's stealing the Death Star plans, I hope this movie plays out like The Dirty Dozen. That would be amazing.
    Yeah that would be awesome.

Also, from seeing that teaser we now know that the stand-alone films are going to be packaged and marketed as 'Star Wars Anthology'.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Casting is ramping up: http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/13...luna-rogue-one

As production on Gareth Edwards’ Star Wars spin-off, Rogue One, comes closer and closer, casting is ramping up. The latest actor to jump into the cockpit is Diego Luna, who joines Felicity Jones in the story of the Rebel raid to steal plans for the first Death Star.
    The Y Tu Mamá También actor will join Jones and Riz Ahmed (Nightcrawler) as one of the film’s leads, while Ben Mendelsohn will portray Rogue One’s main villain, according to Variety. Luna’s reps and Lucasfilm didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment.

At Star Wars Celebration last month, Edwards expressed his intention to put the “war” back in Star Wars, comparing the film’s military-heavy action to Black Hawk Down. Another stand-alone film, which was set to be directed by Josh Trank, was thrown into turmoil when the director left the project. That movie, which sources tell EW is a Boba Fett-led bounty hunter team-up, is now in the hunt for a new filmmaker.

Another spin-off film previously in development was a young Han Solo story, but that project has been bumped back to avoid confusion. Harrison Ford will reprise his role as a lead character in this December’s The Force Awakens, and executives were concerned about the appearance of “rebooting” the character with the first stand-alone the very next year.

Star Wars: Rogue One is currently scheduled to hit theaters on Dec. 16, 2016.
    The Boba Fett film isn’t expected until at least 2018, after the release of Looper director Rian Johnson’s The Force Awakens follow-up, the as-yet-untitled Episode VIII.

Sounds like things are moving along nicely.

In regards to the rest of the article:
    * Fairly indifferent to a Boba Fett-focused film - unlike other parts of the fandom I've never had an overt interest in him (I like the character, but not to the obsessive levels some poeple have). Hope it turns out well regardless.
    * Young Han Solo film - yeah I concur with the executives. Watching the Celebration reaction where the fans just went ballistic when old Han and Chewie appeared on screen, I think trying to launch a 'younger version' of Han now is just too soon and the comparisons (almost certain to be polarising) would be inevitable.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

I'm very excited about this. I enjoy the story arcs about non Force using characters.
    [[XXXXXX]]==================================>

Retired writer for Hwoarang, Ice Fox, Pal Vader, Jehovah

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Some pictures have apparently leaked: http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/20...ne-leaked.html

Not huge spoilers, they're reportedly images of some of the ships that will feature in the film.

I guess that answers the "are they actually X-Wing pilots, though?" question, then.

I know we all kinda assumed that because of the whole Rogue One thing, but there wasn't anything particularly piloty about the cast photo they released (or the synopsis so far). Good to know they aren't misusing Jaden's callsign.
    It's like that, and that's the way it is.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    New photos of costumes from Rogue One: http://pulse.therpf.com/new-photos-o...tar-wars-story

Zeven Ekkel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasquian Belargic View Post
    New photos of costumes from Rogue One: http://pulse.therpf.com/new-photos-o...tar-wars-story
    This looks so awesome!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast