Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Unraveling

Goodnight, Palara

"Shall I tell you a story, Palara?"

Her mother sat beside the bed, smoothing the rough blankets with graceful, slow motions. Palara was tired, her eyes drooping, but nodded.

"Yes mama, please," she said, feeling her sore, aching body relaxing.

"Do you have a preference?" her mother asked, smiling softly at her daughter. Her hand came up to caress the young girl's face, her fingertips tracing the cheekbone and jawline with slow, gentle touches. Palara smiled sleepily in return, nuzzling the hand.

"Tell me of the Knight, mama."

Her mother laughed softly, her smile as gentle as her touch.

A long time ago, there was a kingdom. It wasn't a large kingdom, nor was it small. It was ruled by a Queen, who had three beautiful daughters, and two handsome sons. She ruled well, with care to both her position as Queen, and to her subjects. But not all was well, as there were kingdoms around them, and there was constant strife for land and water, for metal and for prestige. So for her kingdom's defense, she had brave knights, trained from their youth to fight and war. They were strong men, and their code called for them to be gentle in peace, and merciful in war, to fight for glory and honour and renown.

Her knights were men, of course, so not all adhered to this code as well as others. Some were brutal in peace and war, others not so brave, and yet others were filled with greed, desiring wealth and land for themselves and their families. Not all held land, and were sustained by the Queen's own wealth. Among them was the Knight, a poor man from no great family, whose name was not descended from heroes of old. He was honourable and kind, strong and brave. Because of his origins, the other knights did not hold him in great esteem, though his conduct and rigorous training told all of his character.

He was good friends with the Princesses and Princes of the kingdom, who admired him and learned from him, hearing tales of his travels and the people he had met before becoming a knight. In no small part due to his influence, they grew to be humble and kind, and aware that the simple folk who were ruled by their mother had lives of their own, with dreams and love and sadness. He was not considerably older than they, but the gap was noticeable, and his maturity and kindness, his strength and mien endeared him to the youngest princess, no more than a child. She loved him with all the innocence of her youth, a pure and wholesome love, not less than that she held for her brothers, but of a different kind; the kind that woman holds for a man she wished to marry and bear children for, an idealistic admiration, for the young Princess knew that he would care for her and treat her well. She then put herself to her lessons in governance and maths, in mediation and speech, and most of all in caring for a household, managing the wealth and resources she would one day come into by virtue of her birth. She carried herself as a woman, hoping to gain his attention. She knew she was young, and knew that the Knight would one day marry, and her hope remained as the years passed and he remained unwed and the star of her admiration.

The Knight was aware of her regard, but did not think of her in such a way. He was flattered and touched that he was seen by her so, and so firmed himself to be what she saw him as, so that when the day would come that she would choose to wed if she desired, she would choose someone worthy. He treated her with patience and kindness, but not as a child, for he knew that when she was grown, she would need her own strength, and would remember him and use his conduct as the measure of her husband. Her taught her well, for she grew into a wise woman despite her youth. Her beauty and kindness endeared all the people to her, and her wisdom and intelligence made her the object of admiration of foreign princes and brave knights.

Peace reigned in the kingdom, and the Queen took ill, and died. Her first born son became King. But not all were happy with this, as they felt that his youth made him weak, and their greed overcame their restraint. Conflict arose as they tested the young king for weakness and vied for power and influence either over the king himself or to challenge him for the throne of the Kingdom. The princesses, his sisters, were married to suitable men for alliances and to secure the peace of the kingdom. The young king, remembering the Knight, made sure to choose kind men, strong and just, who would be chivalrous to his sisters, and also was sure to ask of them their opinions. They loved their brother, and after deliberation, assented to some of his choices for their husbands. All of them did so, save for the youngest, who still yearned for the Knight. He respected her desire, but warned her that the Knight was far too aware of his station to deem himself worthy of her favor. She was saddened, and decided that she would not turn down a suitor that was everything her kind and just Knight was. For some time, the alliances secured in this way peace and stability.

A disease swept through the kingdom, and one of the Princesses' husbands died, leaving her with children. Though her late husband was a good and kind man, his family sought more wealth and influence, and thought that they could supplant the King with his sister's son, and so rose in rebellion with their friends and allies. They locked away the princess and her children and rode to war against the King.

"Why did they do that? It's wrong," Palara asked, her mind conjuring images of the princess and her children locked away and sad that they were being used as reasons for war against their own family.

"Darling, greed and envy overcame their restraint. Everyone has these desires for more within them. Everyone wants to be safe, or happy. When they are afraid that what they have is not enough to give them happiness, they try for more, and some do not have the strength to restrain themselves from taking from others for this security."

"Is that why we're here? Why we can't leave?"

Her mother smiled sadly and nodded.

"Yes, darling. People allow their fear and desire for more to blind themselves to others, or to not care for others beyond those they already care for. The people who own us do not see us as people, but as things to be used, like the tools farmers use to grow food, or the wrenches and spanners mechanics use to repair starships. They have grown up this way, and so it is difficult for them to change. One day we will be free, my dear little one. But not yet. Shall I continue?"

Palara nodded.

The Knight stood with the young King, and fought bravely for the Kingdom. He gained renown and glory, and led soldiers and knights alike, and was given accolades and the trust of his young King, but his lack of wealth and influence meant that he did not lead large armies and was always commanded. In the meantime, the youngest Princess worked for peace, attempting to mediate the conflict and shorten the war. She sent letters and spoke with many, her words and intelligence bringing many of the Rebels' Alliance away from them. However, the cruelty of war, and the barbarism of the soldiers fighting it, soured her, and she became cynical and weary. She still held regard for her Knight, but despaired that he was either the only one of his kind, or held a dark secret within him. The King's enemies grew to fear her, and so sent men to kidnap her, and take her away.

She was intelligent and wise, but she was not a violent woman, and did not know how to defend herself against such men, nor did she have the will to kill them if she could. She had relied on the Knight and her brothers for her safety, and they had gone off to battle. The Alliance's men stole into the castle and killed her guards and fled with her. They mistreated her badly, binding her and touching her without ruining her virginity, as they were greedy men, and thought that a despoiled princess would be worthless to her brother the King. The survivors of the Castle guard sent word to her brother the King, and the Knight was with him. Upon hearing of her capture, the Knight swore to find her and bring her to safety. The King allowed it, but could not send men with him because of the war. So the Knight left, alone, to save the Princess.

He knew of the paths and roads, and used his own money and influence to set up a search for the men and the Princess. He knew the men would want to return to their own castle and stronghold as soon as possible to secure her and use her to force the King to abdicate his throne, to step down from it, and allow them to name his infant nephew as King.

The Princess, having learned from the Knight, was intelligent and smart. He had taught her to remain calm in dangerous times, and to think rationally and clearly in the face of panic. She left clues for anyone who would search for her, and convinced her captors that she was no threat to them and could not survive on her own, and so gained a small bit of freedom. Her clues were carvings in trees, and quick messages send to those she could recall were loyal to her brother and her family. In one village, she met a young boy, who was captivated by her beauty and strength in the face of her trials. He was not much younger than she, but he was a builder and farmer and laborer, and was strong. He promised her that he would take her message to the Knight. Despite his regard for her, and knowing he was brave and kind and true, her own despair and wariness of the darkness of men, and his status as a commoner and hers as a princess, kept her from seeing him as she saw her Knight.

The Boy found the Knight, and told him all he knew, and swore to be the Knight's companion in saving the Princess. The Knight, knowing how limited his resources were, agreed, and trained the boy in the sword as they chased after the men who had taken the Princess.

They caught up with the men in the wilderness, and seeing how many there were, came up with a plan. The Knight would challenge the men, and while they were busy with him, the Boy would steal in and carry the Princess away. The Knight made his challenge, and the men debated whether to run or fight. Seeing the Knight was alone, they all faced him, sure that their numbers would overcome him. They fought, and the Knight was wounded, but he continued on.

The Boy had come to admire the Knight during their travels, and cut the bindings of the Princess but did not flee with her. He was assured of her safety and hid her, bidding her to remain quiet and stealthy, as the men would not be able to find her if the fight went badly and the Knight and himself died. He went to aid the Knight, and the Princess watched as the Knight and the Boy fought the men, forcing them to flee. The fight was not quiet though, and they were near to their own lands and castles, and would return shortly with more men to kill them and retake the Princess.

The Princess was overcome by the sight of the blood and the fear of the battlefield, and fell to the ground as if dead. The Boy bound the Knight's injuries, and waited for him to awaken, as he had fallen asleep and would not wake. The Boy told the Princess of his love and admiration for her, and she saw how akin to the Knight he was, and was endeared to him, but did not return his feelings. The Boy, though saddened, respected her choice. So, the boy awakened the Knight with salts. The Knight and Boy stole away, with the Boy carrying the Knight's sword and shield, and the Knight carrying the Princess, who awakened in his arms. She saw the Knight, his face and eyes, and smelled his scent, and felt him carry her despite his wounds; she knew then that she would have no other for her husband. She told the Knight this, and he, though still cautious, promised her that if he survived the war, he would make her his bride. She kissed him, a sign of her regard and love, and knew the Knight was hurt grievously, and told him that she would be his bride before he died. The Knight assented finally, as the Boy promised to care for her in his stead should he die.

The Princess and the Knight wed in the dark of night, finding a magistrate in the town, and returned to the Castle. The Knight was abed for weeks, as he recovered. The Princess remained at his side, and the Boy donned the Knight's armour and sword and shield in his place.

Palara sighed as her eyes closed, imagining being held in her Knight's arms and cared for so fiercely.

"Perhaps one day I will find a Knight, mother," she said as she fell asleep. The woman smiled and watched her daughter succumb to her dreams.

"I am sure, one day, you will," she said. "Goodnight, Palara."

Palara never found her Knight, and though she held the memory of her mother dear, she thought nothing of the story aside of it being childish and naive.

Goodnight, Palara II

Trian Orbit, ??.???

"I have to go," Ben said, his face red and his breathing labored. He was panting over the speakers, as he'd found a fighter to steal. "There are prisoners here. I can get them out; I know the codes and commands. I can stop the launches with them."

Palara looked at him, as Alderaan followed the fighter to the fleet ahead of them. The ship's alarms sounded, and the decking underneath them shuddered.

"Non," she answered. "Zere eez no time. We must flee."

"Palara," he said. "I can't let this happen again. Not again. I... folded last time. I have to make my family proud of me. They were disappointed, you know? I never amounted to much. But even if I'm not much, I'm here right now. I'm... I'm alive. And here. I have to do something. Maybe... maybe I can keep it from happening, you know? Keep someone from waking up in the middle of the night from nightmares and remembering there aren't any graves, because the planet's gone. I have to try, Palara. I've been almost dead for so long. I feel like... I feel like I'm actually breathing right now."

Palara could see it. In the Force, Ben felt aglow, even if he was rail thin and gaunt, his cheeks hollow and shadowed in the hologram. He felt more alive than she had ever felt. It was soothing, and painful for her.

"Zen go. I will go and cause a distraction for you. Vel Aath eez 'ere. I will keep her eyes from you."

"As will I," Loklorien s'Ilancy said beside her. "If Vel Aath is the presence I feel here, she is... powerful."

Ben's lips thinned as he looked at her intently.

"I'm sorry Palara. I knew you. It hurt too much."

Palara smiled at him.

"You silly man. You knew I understood." She said. "Atrapes is on his way. If anyone can defeat 'er, 'e can. We just need to survive."

"We've always been pretty good at that, huh?" he smiled. She nodded.

"We 'ave," she agreed. "Now go, 'urry!"

Ben flew like a man possessed, his voice echoing over the speakers in breathless exhilaration. Vel Aath's flagship loomed ever closer, as the clouds of fighters and warships obscured it from their own returning fire. They managed to make it. Somehow. Ben landed in a bay his fighter too damaged and broken to fly again, and Alderaan docked at a hatch nearby.

"Damn, hubby!" She heard Jesse Buchanan shout in glee as the man appeared with a pistol. "Too bad we're in rush, because I could just eat you up. I knew you could fly, but... damn."

The woman licked her lips. Ben looked at her, some of his customary skittishness on display, but largely unphased.

"I got lucky," he said. "Down girl. Save the thirst for when we get out of here, yeah?"

"You know where we're going, Ben?" Cerie asked. Ben nodded, and looked at Esther.

"I'm not going back without you, Ben," the girl said, her face resolute. Ben looked exasperated.

"Of course not. Can't let me be even a little less stressed right now, huh? Fine. Stay in the middle. I'll lead; I know the way." He turned to her. "Stay safe, Palara."

"Non. Eef I wanted to stay safe, I would 'ave never come 'ere."

"Suppose that's true. Then take care."

He, and the rest of the party save for s'Ilancy, rushed off. They proceeded to carve their way through the main corridors to the bridge turbolift, killing every soldier and guard along the way. The death and their Force presences would distract Vel Aath from Ben and the rescue party. No words were said until they reached the bridge.

"I... I am glad you are 'ere, s'Ilancy," the twi'lek said, taking a deep breath. Vel Aath's menace and will oozed around them like a cloying, oily smoke in the Force. "I am glad to 'ave met you."

s'Ilancy smiled tightly, and nodded, aware that Iscandar's growth over the course of the war was in no small part due to the time they had spent together. Both had studied and healed from time with Solomon, and had continued the process with each other.

They stepped inside.

Palara awoke. Pain lanced through her body, and she hissed, aware of the burning in her side and gut. She couldn't feel her legs. She opened her eyes, and saw skin. She took a breath, and immediately knew Ben was holding her. She looked up, and saw his jaw, the heavy stubble and the lack of healthy fat. She looked up further and saw his ragged, longer hair, and he looked down, and her breath caught in her throat as she looked him in the eyes.

"Maman," she breathed. "Ze Knight. My Knight."

"You'll be all right, Palara!" He gasped, shifting her in his arms and pointing his blaster behind them. "We're getting you out of here, and you'll be fine! Don't give up!"

"Ben," she breathed, and smiled. "Brilliant. I 'ave found 'im, maman. Ze Knight."

She was vaguely aware of what was going on around her, but her focus was on Ben. They'd stopped; Shuvin and Cerie were opening a door.

"Palara," Ben gasped, leaning against a wall. Palara simply smiled, a soft expression she was sure had never graced her face before. Her hand came up, and traced his jaw, and his cheekbones. Her fingertips ghosted over his face as he looked at her.

"My Knight," she breathed, feeling the pain in her side go numb. "My brave Knight. You 'ave saved me."

Ben's face warped, and she could feel the grief tearing through him. She giggled, her fingertips tracing his lips. A jolt passed through her.

"Zank you, Ben," she breathed. "Oh, I did not zink I could ever feel zis. Zis... zis is what it feels like."

He didn't seem to understand, but he did as well, as he shifted her to cradle her head against his neck. He stood.

"I've found 'im, maman," she breathed. "I did not zink I ever would."

She held him tightly, feeling ever more like she was dreaming.

"Palara!"

She reached up, tilting his face to her.

"A kiss, for my brave knight," she breathed, and she felt Ben's lips pressing to hers, soft and chaste. A true kiss from a Knight to his princess, or a prince to his beloved Knight. "Zis was a good dream, maman. Ben. I love..."

Darkness fell over her. And then there was light.

TheHolo.Net Poster

Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Vince

The Sketch I

Palara arrived with a younger girl, about fifteen years old, if she had to guess. She looked like a Zeltron slightly, with pinkish skin and dark brown hair. She seemed graceful until you looked at Palara beside her; she stood stiffly, walked stiffly, and spoke stiffly as well. It was suspicious to Ben Merasska, the captain of Alderaan, Shuvin could tell. His eyes narrowed and his face took on a weird expression. It wasn't something Shuvin Undhi, mechanic and engineer for their little tramp freighter, could describe. She didn't know the words. The concepts slipped from her mind when she tried to think about them beyond the instinctual sort of knowing that came to her when she looked at a deck plan or an engine diagram.

Palara herself was gorgeous, as always. Twi'leks usually were, as far as she had seen, though she knew there had to be an objectively ugly woman twi'lek out there somewhere. It was the guys that were definitely hit and miss. It raised questions for her; why were all the girls super hot and the dudes usually pretty scary? Did Twi'lek women like ugly dudes?

"Ben," Palara said with a smile. "Zis is Onika. She is... a student, of sorts."

"Nice to meetcha, Onika. Name's Ben. This here is Shuvin. Cerie's inside."

Ben walked up to them, opening his arms slightly. Palara embraced him (hug didn't seem to be the right sort of word for her; too ordinary). Onika seemed to be super surprised or something about it too.

"'Ow are you?" Palara asked. "Any word on...?"

Ben shook his head. "No, but thank you, Palara. Just... thanks."

Shuvin and Onika both watched the interaction with quite bemused expressions.

"This ain't normal for her either, I'm guessing," She whispered to the other girl, who shook her head.

"Do... do you know what... uh, what Palara does?" Onika asked. Shuvin raised an eyebrow.

"Not really," she answered. "Don't really care either. Some sort of investigator or something? Probably super secret, I'm guessing."

Onika smiled weirdly, like a grimace, but also surprise, and a little knowingness. If that was a word. Was it?

"Well, let's get on, then," Ben said. "You've got the coordinates and travel route?"

"I do," Palara said, picking up her pack and gesturing to Onika. The girl took a deep breath and followed them onto the ship.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123