Thread: Mutants Unite ....?

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    NEAR enough to visit, but not the town next door. Sorry, I wasn't clear enough I guess.

edit: I also said that New York City would be near. Near in USA terms means like a train or car ride away, not walking distance.

oh what a tangled web I weave

That's what "near" means when you grew up in the middle of rural England too.

I guess what bothers me is that if Cullen's is close enough to this new township that you can drive there in a few hours... then you'd have to be a pretty shitty parent to not enroll your mutant child there. It is clearly better. It's a safe environment that caters explicitly to mutants, and that focuses on helping them to understand their powers/abilities as well as on their education. It is close enough to the new township that you can visit on the weekends if need be - not perfect, but it's clearly the option that is in the best interests of your kid.

If you choose to not go for that option, and enroll your kid in the co-ed high school instead... either you're choosing that for your own benefit because you want to keep your kid around (instead of inconveniencing yourself for the benefit of your kid's education/development), or you are making some kind of "political statement" with your child. You're showing your support for the township, or you are taking a stand against "mutant elitism" or segregation or... whatever.

For the idea of the township being some safe haven to work... having an even safer haven within driving distance seems a little counter-productive. If having Cullen's nearby is so important, then it probably makes sense for the township to actually be Westchester, and have Cullen's expand to be more inclusive by adding non-mutants to the faculty and student body. Make it a... the mutants are inviting the mundanes to come and live with them sort of dynamic.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

So the options are:

--Separate from Cullens, but we'd have to shutter Cullens for that to make sense, unless the haven town isn't in NY at all.

--The town nearest to Cullens, and mundane kids are invited to go to school there as well. Some kids live at home, others at the boarding school. This town is either Westchester or Kingston (my preference as this isn't the X-mansion and it's a real place with a real lake and stuff, within train ride distance to NYC). edit: if all the previous RPing (years ago) was saying that Cullen's is near Westchester then I guess that's that
    Last edited by Lilaena De'Ville; Oct 11th, 2015 at 11:59:31 AM.

If Kingston is a real place, I'm all for sorta... hand-waving and saying Cullen's has been there the whole time. I think we probably just fell into a trap of assuming it was in Westchester because comics, rather than because that's what the actual lore was. Real places are a bit more fun (to my mind at least) because there's maps and photographs and all that. Plus, a lake sounds fun! (is there a squid monster in it?)

And yeah, that sums up the options pretty nicely.
    It's like that, and that's the way it is.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

The Resevoir is really pretty, too.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashokan_Reservoir

It's also amusingly close to Woodstock.

Dang mutant hippies!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123