Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Gotham Reborn?

Scout Ravenwood
    I know, but I meant if you wanted it later or we got a Cassandra. Do we have a Robin yet? Steph could be Robin

For that matter, where's the old Bat himself?

I kinda alluded in a Jason Todd post to there having been a Robin who "replaced" him, but I left it kinda vague and open-ended.

Personally, I say just go with Batgirl. If someone comes along to play Cassandra, they can always use her "Black Bat" codename. Steph should definitely have been a Robin first though - it sucks that everyone (including Batman) keeps acting as if that didn't happen / doesn't count. Maybe after Jason Todd disappeared, she was all "Batman needs a Robin!" and started doing solo stuff in a Robin costume to attract Batman's attention, not realising that Jason was "dead"? Becoming Batgirl was sort of a... Batman is still in mourning, he's not ready for a new Robin yet sort of thing. That way it doesn't matter if there was a Batgirl before you or not: you've got the name because Batman gave you the name, sorta thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Grayson View Post
    For that matter, where's the old Bat himself?
    Peter is our Batman... I just haven't roped him into a thread yet. Have something planned, just need to get around to writing it.

Scout Ravenwood
    Maybe, but Steph has always been pushy and disapproved by Bruce. I like her as the Robin he doesn't like lol, and it gives us a Robin, which could be fun. Then she could work towards being Batgirl.

We've literally only just started, though. Our Batman hasn't even posted yet. It might be jumping the gun a bit to assume that no one wants to be Tim or Damian... especially when you're about to start writing Steph. Doesn't it make more sense to keep your options open in case someone wants to come write the Tim / Steph dynamic with you?

Also, as far as being disapproved of by Bruce, being a self-styled Batgirl could potentially play on that. You're "stealing his brand", and he gets to be cranky about that. Then you get to be all sassy about how you're actually copying Batwoman, and point out how egotistical it is for Bats to assume everything is about him.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Holly
    Well right now, no one wants to be Tim or Damian. And if they do, then she could transition from Robin to a Batgirl? I think we need more villains personally, we've got a plethora of heroes.

The "right now no one wants to play" argument seems like faulty logic to me. Batman hasn't posted yet. Peter hasn't filled out a plotter yet. No one is sure of what our version of Batman is going to be like, so of course no one has decided that they want to be Batman's sidekick yet. No one has any idea what they'd be letting themselves in for.

Like I said, feels a little bit like jumping the gun. Give Peter the chance to actually post before we conclude that no one wants to be his Robin.

Scout Ravenwood
    Just to counter-argue here a moment... firstly, Tim is only Robin in the Steph/Tim relationship when Steph is spoiler. After she becomes Robin, he becomes Red Robin. So her being Batgirl and him being Robin would be out of sequence anyway. If the argument is 'what if we get a Tim?' a) the same argument applies for 'what if we get a Cassandra?' and b) the argument should be Steph should be Spoiler, neither Batgirl nor Robin.

Secondly, we haven't concluded nobody wants to be Batman's Robin. In fact, we've concluded I want to be his Robin. You've just done the exact thing you complained about, you've dismissed Steph as a legitimate Robin. She counts just as much as Tim or Damien, and Tim has his Red Robin alter-ego anyway as an alternative. So why does me wanting to have Robin be Steph be any different than somebody wanting to write Tim or Damien as Robin (in which point the exact same 'but what if somebody wants to write the other Robins' argument applies)?

Or is it just because Steph is a girl so not a 'stereotypical' Robin?

Well for starters, there's no need to make this about Steph's gender.

If you want to write a Batman & Robin story, and you happen to want to write a female Robin, go ahead. You absolutely can do that. However, that is not what you have said at any point so far. You started out asking if people would mind you writing Batgirl, and that turned into a conversation about codenames where you casually suggested using Robin instead. I am basing my comments purely on the information you have actually given: you did not say, until just now, that you want to write Robin - you said that you wanted to write Batgirl, and were concerned about the codename.

*shrug* Sorry for responding to what you said, instead of what you were thinking.

Scout Ravenwood
    I didn't mean to imply anything by the gender comment. Just that on a surface level, if you want the 'standard' look of Batman and Robin, having a girl is different. I accept that.

Sure, I started off wanting to be Batgirl, but I changed my mind as I thought it through and discussed it here . I can do that sometimes >.>.

Be the Robin.

Robin's are cool.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    We should have a whole flock of Robins. Batman can unleash them like a swarm.

oh what a tangled web I weave

Well next time you change your mind in the middle, make sure you let the rest of us know.

A female Robin is an awesome idea. You just hadn't actually said that's what you were wanting to do.

Batman
    Just reading the thread and wanted to apologise for not being active just yet. Got some real - life shit going on right now, the jury is out on how serious it is. I am making an effort behind the scenes to be involved, it just hasn't transitioned into posting yet. If the proverbial weather clears for me, it'll happen sooner rather than later, but as Geoffrey Rush says in Shakespeare In Love - its coming.

Scout Ravenwood
    Didn't that actually happen in the comics? There be a whole flock of Robins

I thought my change of mind was obvious by my enthusiasm. Sorry

I'm still undecided. I'll spend a few days probably making my mind up.

Also, no rush, Batman . Although if you can weigh in on a Robin opinion that'd be cool .

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Gordon View Post
    I think we need more villains personally, we've got a plethora of heroes.
    To that end... would anyone mind if I wrote a female version of Firefly, inspired by last night's Gotham?

Pyromaniac Cinderella seems like she'd be fun to write, and her costume looked so cool.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    I don't think anyone would mind, but I do worry about one person taking on too many characters and not being able to keep up once the stories start expanding. So if you think you can, and you want to, then go for it?

Green Lantern
    Oh, any hero/Gotham entity who wants to show up in Green is Not My Color, now can. Pretty sure most of the city is aware that the top just got taken off of a luxury high-rise, by some new, strange hero, to help stop a fire. =)

Said hero is NOT prepared to deal with the media/police firestorm he's about to get hit with. =P

AKA
    Jace
    Bear in mind that I'm pretty much trapped in my house for medical reasons... I don't exactly have a shortage of free time.

Plus... like you pointed out yourself, we've got a shortage of villains. Someone's gonna have to start writing 'em, else things are going to get a smidge dull... might as well be the guy with nothing better to do.

Stephanie Brown
    I happened . And I'm (very temporarily) not Batgirl or Robin, but Spoiler

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast