Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Gotham Reborn?

Supergirl
    I don't mind the 'of America' thing being here. I just don't like it in the comics/movies. But it's how it is. I still think it's not quite right. (I mean, the Avengers may be mainly American, but they aren't 'The American Avengers!' in name). But that's a complaint with DC as a whole, not how we do things here.

As for Booster's question, I vote Flash style, as that means not everything is dictated by how Booster sees it (and a lot of things can be vague; like I know in the Flash comics, things were vague for history for Eobard about the Flash until he time travelled back, so things don't necessarily need to be 100% known).

The reason the Justice League was called the Justice League of America is two-fold, per the history of the actual comic itself, coming from the industry side. First, it was an update on the Justice Society of America, which in itself was a play on the Society of Nations, back in the 30's and 40's, which the USA was nor part of. The word "America" was added to make it clear that these were heroes for America, as comics sold to a primarily American audience.

In the 60's, when the Justice League was formed, the head of DC at the time liked baseball, and since the Society of Nations had crumbled, and was reformed as the United Nations, he decided that "Society" wasn't the right word, and that heroes should be in a "League" like baseball. So, they became the "Justice League." The "of America" part was added partly due to patriotism, and partly as a throwback to the Justice Society of America, in order to establish some false continuity.

That's the real-world reason for the "America" in the name. As far as I'm concerned, we could simply have a "Justice League" in general, here, without a country affiliation, since the world is so alarmingly sensitive and looks to find racism/nationalism where it isn't, so leaving out "America" would make the news happy.

Batman
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Untouchable View Post
    How about we have it be some sort of super casual Superman and his super-friends thing, and have "Justice League" be the name that the media has given them? They're like the Justice Society from the old days, but they're in a "league of their own", or something cheesy like that.

We still get the advantages of there having been a Justice League, both in terms of characters having worked together and also in terms of public awareness, but it's not a formal "team" per se. Heck, it's probably Superman's fault: he's probably being all hippie and casual about it, which is why Batman decides that enough is enough, and takes it upon himself to turn Team Casual into everything Peter already suggested.

Perhaps that marks the transition from being the "Justice League" to being the "Justice League of America"? In the current comics, the Justice League is the team established by Superman/Batman/etc, whereas the Justice League of America is/was the version endorsed by the United States government. If Batman is transforming us from something informal to something official, perhaps adding the "of America" is part and parcel of that... a more formal name for a more formal team?
    If people are cool with this, then I say we go for it. It allows whats established to remain just so, but allows me to run with what I had in mind. It certainly won't be a quick turnaround though. My plan is to have something happen and Batman will realise that despite what the Justice League is capable of right now, it's not enough. And so he invests in it to make it greater.

Supergirl
    I don't mind what we do. I don't wanna make a big thing out of the 'of America' thing. It bugs me in the comics but I don't care what we do here . It doesn't bother me majorly .

Lucius Fox
    We don't have to rename it "of America", but I like it being an informal media-created term that sticks. The project could just officially adopt the name when Wayne starts to develop and invest in it, off the books of course - don't want Bruce Wayne to suddenly appear to be publicly funding superheroes and at a press conference Bruce is there with every single member apart from Batman - Jimmy Olson might put two and two together!

TheHolo.Net Poster

Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Mitch
    No, Jimmy Olsen has never put two and two together in his entire life. He is incapable of it. He is the most inept news agent of all time.

Also, he's ginger.

AKA
    Jace
    Guys, we need to have some sort of fancy party in Gotham.

For important reasons.

(helloooooooo ladies )

Supergirl
    As if Wally would ever dress that smart

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    Grant Gustin is just the cutest ever.

oh what a tangled web I weave

Quote Originally Posted by Supergirl View Post
    As if Wally would ever dress that smart
    Then I guess you don't want to dress up and come see the new Bond move, Kara.

Supergirl
    What's a Bond movie and why would we dress up for it? (IC )

You have been on Earth for a year, and no one has had the decency to introduce you to James Bond?

My room. Bring popcorn and a sleeping bag. We are having a marathon.

Supergirl
    I spent that time on a farm! Ask me a question about farming and I've got it down! That's about it.

Okay, okay, I'm there. Is this gonna suck?

Is a movie marathon about the coolest, most suave and sophisticated spy in the history of the entire human race "gonna suck"?

No Kara. No it is not.

Supergirl
    So what you're saying is this man is the 'coolest' person humanity has to offer so if I'm not impressed by him, all of humanity therefore sucks, right?

Scout Ravenwood
    So, on another note, how would people feel if I made Stephanie Brown as Batgirl? As it'd kinda cut out Babs Batgirl career but I sorta wanna >.>

The universe is a happier place with Steph in it

Who says we can't have multiple Batgirls?

Scout Ravenwood
    Well it'd get confusing codename wise

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Holly
    I already picked Oracle as my code name

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast