Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Cave Bear's Cub

One last look up the snow-swept path that led to the pass, and Tana let out a long sigh. For the moment, the danger was somewhat passed, and moving to step around the trunk, the Nord girl lowered her frame to sit atop the banded lid, glancing back to the Khajiit.

"I'm Tana," she finally answered.

The knife, rather than being slid back into the leather sheath at her belt, was set in her lap.

A few more moments of silence passed before she went on.

"Thank you... " a fingertip ticked on the iron blade, "... for lying to them."

TheHolo.Net Poster

Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Vince
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: vinceisgreat
    Kazahan paused in his carving breathing on the bow and wiping the tiny curled shavings that had not fallen to the earth by his booted feet, but did not respond. The two Nords stood and nodded to Kazahan while giving Tana wary glances, but their caution was outweighed by exhaustion, and they were soon curled up on their bed rolls, fur blankets keeping out the night's chill.

"This one is called Kazahan, Tana fleet-foot," he said, finally. "Or perhaps should you be called Tana Bear-Cub? You were in the pass above, correct? Living in a cave like a bear?"

The bow was laid carefully on the ground beside him, and a pack was opened. A bowl and wooden spoon were retrieved, and he filled the bowl with a watery stew that smelled heavily of venison, salt, and potatoes, though there seemed to be more than enough meat in it to make up for the small amount of salt and potatoes. He turned and held the bowl out to her.

"Eat," he said. "No matter how many layers of furs one wears, one is more easily warmed from the inside out, rather than the outside in."

Matea stiffened a bit at the question. She had managed to avoid any trouble, and just as quickly now found herself back into the thick of it. It wouldn't be hard to come up for an excuse for why she couldn't travel with the Legionaires, but at the same time a 100 septims could go a long way towards getting her supplies in the next town, and she was dangerously low as it was. She had enough for now, but she was having to carefully ration. She chewed at her lower lip, careful not to bite too hard and split it, eyes glancing under her helmet towards Tiberius, who simply whined low and hunkered down.

"I think I can spare the time to assist, at least for the night." She patted her leg, and let the dog approach, tail still down and ears pinned back. Oh he knew he was in trouble. She knelt and grabbed him by his scruffy face. "You'd best be a good boy, Tiberius, while we assist these men in this task." She gave him a gentle 'whap' on the nose, watching him wrinkle it and pull back, though his ear perked up when she didn't scold him further.

"I am at your service, my good sir." She stood, extending her hand to the soldier. "Matea Antriius."

Darruk gro-Khazgur
    Darruk met her extended arm, grasping at her forearm as she reciprocated.

"Darruk gro-Khazgur. Centurion of the Fourth Legion, Second Cohort."

Breaking the embrace, he watched as his men continued to police through the ramshackle camp, and brought his newfound deputy up to speed.

"We've pursued a band of Stormcloak skirmishers from east of Rorikstead, and up through the Hjaalmarch. I am...annoyed...at having to cross into another hold for their traitorous hides."

Just then, the clapping of hooves against stones could be heard from the cave's northern mouth. Darruk jerked his head in their direction, and headed to the exit of the cave to see Jorgen Shield-Breaker and his squad returning from a patrol of the mountain.

"I see you have passed through the cave unscathed, sir."

Darruk frowned at that.

"One casualty. Troll attack."

The Nord legionary shook his head at the bit of bad news.

"Shor's bones, they're a bane on these mountain passes. Who died?"

"Bjorn Iron-Axe." replied the Orc, knowing the connection between the two men.

"I...see." Jorgen's reply was forced and stoic. "I know his kinsmen in Dragonsbridge. I would like to be the one to tell them."

It was bad business every time, the duty of dealing with the dead. Darruk said his words in his own time to Malecath, but the Nords did things their own way. He nodded.

"At the rate this is going, I expect we'll be passing through their before long on the way to Castle Dour to explain things. Any sign of the Stormcloaks?"

Jorgen shook his head.

"Not one. We passed a hunting camp on one of the slopes. Khajit and a few Nords by the look. I didn't stop to check their camp. We had too much ground to cover."

The Centurion looked to Matea and nodded.

"We'll look into it. This is Matea Antriius, from the Dawnguard. She's agreed to aid us in our search."

"A vampire hunter?" Jorgen queried, his horse showing his confusion as it shifted its weight sligthly.

She had only been able to have a small bit of the rabbit on her own fire, and so Tana's stomach rumbled and growled like a sabercat high in the mountains as her nose caught the scent of venison. Needing no other bidding, the girl leaned forward, hands going out to gingerly take the bowl being handed to her. The soup was blissfully warm, and she couldn't help the smile that came unbidden to her lips, small though it was.

"Thank you," she nodded gratefully, mindful to take the spoon.

At Kazahan's mention of names, her smile grew slightly, and spooning up a small amount of soup, she blew on it.

"My Da used to call me Little Bear, but that was when I was younger."

Satisfied that the soup was cool enough to put in her mouth, Tana did just that, chewing hungrily on a chunk of venison and swallowing eagerly.

"And occasional sell-sword, it would seem." She amended to the title of vampire hunter the Legionnaire had given to her. "There was a misunderstanding, between the good commander and myself." She motioned at Darruk. "It only seems fitting I assist you in your cause to make amends for it. At least until our paths split." She scratched lazily at the dog who sat at her side's head and considered, before speaking to Darruk again.

"My companion, here, isn't the best tracker by any means, but he had taken to the girl before her flight, and the revelation of her allegiance. He may be able to pick up her scent." or I may though she would never share that particular information with any of the well armed, and well-armored Centurions.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123