Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Episode VII - Cast In Depth

Aaron Nomarr
    Don't forget, she has to be yelling "Pull Out! Pull out!"

Thing is, though, how many women were in the first Star Wars trilogy? Or the second, for that matter? Not many, and we all are here because of how awesome the first trilogy was. It is entirely possible to have a good story where the gender of the characters simply doesn't matter because the story is so good.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    Quote Originally Posted by Halajiin Rabeak View Post
    Thing is, though, how many women were in the first Star Wars trilogy? Or the second, for that matter? Not many, and we all are here because of how awesome the first trilogy was. It is entirely possible to have a good story where the gender of the characters simply doesn't matter because the story is so good.
    I don't think the number of women in previous films is relevant, although I do agree with you that the quality of a story isn't gender-dependent, and in light of that, it only bolsters the reasoning behind the question: "Where are the women?"

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    It's funny, "gender doesn't matter" is something that you rarely hear women say... in the same way that the words "race doesn't matter" or "sexuality doesn't matter" tend to come exclusively out of the mouths of white, heterosexual men.

Anyway, I'm not going to dwell on the issue, because if you don't see the problem here then there's a good chance that discussing it won't change your point of view, but this article touches quite succinctly on my problem with the lack of (meaningful) female characters here:

http://www.wired.com/2013/02/opinion...females-media/

Quote Originally Posted by Dasquian Belargic View Post
    It's funny, "gender doesn't matter" is something that you rarely hear women say... in the same way that the words "race doesn't matter" or "sexuality doesn't matter" tend to come exclusively out of the mouths of white, heterosexual men.

Anyway, I'm not going to dwell on the issue, because if you don't see the problem here then there's a good chance that discussing it won't change your point of view, but this article touches quite succinctly on my problem with the lack of (meaningful) female characters here:

http://www.wired.com/2013/02/opinion...females-media/
    So glad you think so highly of me, being that I am a white, heterosexual man, and you can't possibly think I might mean exactly what I said, and do regard every gender, race or sexuality equally.

Or, to be more blunt, I just don't give a shit, give me a good story.

It's way too early to pronounce judgment on the new movie's casting decisions once and for all, as we have only the slimmest idea of the roles these actors will be playing. But given the criticism Star Wars has received before concerning its dearth of female roles, it would have been a very easy thing to imagine a story that could include some more important roles for women. Who knows, maybe there are main characters who haven't yet been cast/revealed. But an announcement like this could just as easily have removed all doubt.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Did I tell you about the time I stole fire from the gods? I couldn't fence it, it was too hot. I really got burned on that deal...

AKA
    Andrew
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
    Who knows, maybe there are main characters who haven't yet been cast/revealed.
    I guess we don't know for sure if they're main characters, but...

Lupita Nyong'o and Gwendoline Christie Join Star Wars Episode 7 Cast

If Gwendoline Christie does not play a Jedi Knight, I shall be very cross.

TheHolo.Net Poster

The Scorpion Prince
    Oil my peanuts, you blood-cursed bastards.
    DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Peter
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CrusaderJ11
    Maybe Gwendoline Christie plays Chewbacca's wife or his daughter.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    Adam Driver captured in a SPY PHOTO (maybe) - is it a spoiler? Who knows! I've spoiler tagged the link because it sort of spells out what may or may not be happening with Driver's character.

[http://entertainthis.usatoday.com/20...-x-wing-pilot/ ]

It does look like him.

edit: OH you can see links through spoiler tags. WELL that isn't very helpful.

oh what a tangled web I weave

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12