Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kiss Your Enemies

SW-Fans.Net Poster

A larrrge penjisss jisss alwajysss welcome!

Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Charley
    Bothawui, or one of her many villas in the Carshoulis Cluster
    Taataani's ears swung back and forth as she nodded at the truth in Alexi's metaphor.

"jI'd ssajy that maxjimjizjing prrofjit jiss sstjill queen, asss jit werre. But the uncerrtajintjy."

Her full lips turned up in a smile, fully appreciating the difference illustrated.

"We'rre all trradjing jin djifferrent currrencjiess, and trrjyjing to fjind the exchange rrate. The rreal tesst comess when jyou ssorrt out who beljievess jin ssjynerrgjy, and who beljievess jin the zerro ssum game."

Turning to Lucia in the framing of an analogy, Taataani continued.

"Sso, werre jyou to one dajy become Ssenatorr of jyourr homeworrld, jyou mjight look at the competjitjion between majorr sshjipbujildjing jindusstrrjiess jin the Alljiance and decjide how to courrt them. Lantjilljiess dependss on the flow of sstarr trraffjic, sso do jyou beljieve that a rrjissjing tjide between competjitorrss ljiftss all boatss, orr do jyou ssettle the matterr morre forrcefulljy, notjing jyourr ssoverrejign jinterresst."

TheHolo.Net Poster

Alexi wondered where Meorrrei's scenario came from.

The Cizeri might be aware of the work he had a his staff doing on transportation. If so she could be seeking to establish his position in advance. Then again, she might, simply, have plucked the scenario at random from her own interests. They included shipbuilding after all.

The Lantillian had no desire to speak prematurely. It might gain an ally or an opponent. It seemed too soon for either.

Fortunately, he was not being asked the question his niece was. Lucia would talk a little and then they could move on.

"I wouldn't know where to begin answering that question," Lucia said after a few moments of thought, "How would you, Uncle?"

Damnit!

Rather than glower at his niece, Alexi looked to the ceiling marshalling his thoughts.

"Well," he began, "It would depend upon why I was seeking to, as you put it Senator, 'court' the shipbuilding industry."

His eyes came back from their examination of the ceiling as he continued.

"If I was seeking votes or backing to stay in office, then I would court only the Lantillian shipbuilders. I would probably be sorely tempted to work something only for their benefit and, if possible, the detriment of their competitors. I would protect and advance the Lantillian interests before all else.

"If, however, the objective was greater than my own survival in office I would be inclined to work more widely. Lantillies is, after all, only one world and our shipbuilders have their limitations. It might be more effective to work something wider reaching.

"For that, of course, compromise with others- in and out of the Senate- would be needed. I could not expect to have everything I wanted on my own terms."
    You can't help all of the people all of the time.
    So you try to help all of them some of the time and hope that is enough.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

A larrrge penjisss jisss alwajysss welcome!

AKA
    Charley
    Bothawui, or one of her many villas in the Carshoulis Cluster
    Senator Meorrrei's attempt to goad any real insight out of Alexi and his daughter had been carefully sidestepped. Taataani's eyes sparkled behind her drink as she considered what little had been revealed by the Lantillian's suppositions. He's careful, she thought, as her lips parted glass.

"jI ssupposse one musst alwajyss be mjindful of the rrealjitjiess at home beforre makjing ssuch a bold sstatement. Verrjy good, Ssenatorr, jyou arre a thoughtful colleague."

Her flattery was as tangible as Alexi's answer. It sounded lovely, but they were steps in the same complicated dance. Tactically withdrawing, the Cizerack Senator continued to steer the Lantillians through the room under her charm.

"Tell me, Ssenatorr, arre jyou a ssporrtjing man? jI would jinvjite jyou and jyourr daughterr to mjy lodge on Taltjimant forr a weekend to contjinue ourr frrjiendsshjip. jI would be devasstated jif jyou rrefussed."

Which was far from the truth, but in terms of polite conversation, it was an effective means of setting the hook.

TheHolo.Net Poster

Alexi caught the look of triumph in Lucia's eye. His niece would, no doubt, see this as evidence that her efforts during the bidding had borne abundant fruit.

"That is a very kind invitation, Senator," he said, "But I think I'll have to decline."

Lucia could not help shooting her uncle a surprised look. Alexi explained himself as best he could.

"Lantillians are pragmatic folk. We know that this sort of thing," his free hand gestured to take in the auction house and its patrons, "serves a purpose. We expect our politicians to put their heads togehter with others in the seat of government and not just in committees. That's how business gets down. But we are wary of them doing so...elsewhere."

He took a sip of his drink, allowing a few moments for his words to be absorbed and to cover his own awkwardness.

"Besides," he offered by way of mitigation, "I so rarely get away from here these days that I feel inexolerably drawn to home when I do have the chance."

He did not add that, given the reputation of the Cizerack, eyebrows would be raised and jokes made about hims spending time with Meorrrei in so intimate a setting as her holiday home.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12