OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie

Movies Filming for Episode VII to Begin May 2014

http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-e...-may-2014.html

Disney and Lucasfilm are excited to announce that principal photography on Star Wars: Episode VII, directed by J.J. Abrams, will commence May 2014, and will be based at London's historic Pinewood Studios.

This will be the first Star Wars film to start shooting in the month of May. Lucasfilm has documented the first day of principal photography for every installment of the Star Wars saga:

• March 22, 1976 -- The first day of principal photography in Tozeur, Tunisia, for Star Wars. A crew of 130 ventures into the desert in 42 trucks and cars, including eight army trucks full of equipment. The first shot was completed at 9:35 a.m.
    • March 5, 1979 -- The first day of principal photography in Finse, Norway, for The Empire Strikes Back. The crew endures the subzero temperatures, frostbite, heavy winds, and avalanches to pull off the first shot within 65 minutes of setup.
    • January 11, 1982 -- The first day of principal photography at EMI Elstree Studios outside of London for Return of the Jedi. Although inside a studio, the set must weather a sandstorm in a scene that would ultimately be cut from the film.
    • June 26, 1997 -- The first day of principal photography at Leavesden Studios in Hertfordshire, England, for The Phantom Menace. Ending a long absence from the director's chair, George Lucas shoots a sequence in a bluescreen-lined set with actors Ian McDiarmid and Ray Park.
    • June 26, 2000 -- The first day of principal photography for Attack of the Clones at Fox Studios Australia. In their new home Down Under, the production crew once again photographs actor Ian McDiarmid three years to the day after Episode I started shooting.
    • June 30, 2003 -- The first day of principal photography for Revenge of the Sith at Fox Studios Australia. The first scenes shot feature Hayden Christensen and Ewan McGregor as Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi, respectively, along with R2-D2.

It has also been confirmed that Star Wars: Episode VII is set about 30 years after the events of Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi, and will star a trio of new young leads along with some very familiar faces. No further details on casting or plot are available at this time.

Star Wars: Episode VII will release in theaters on December 18, 2015.

It's getting closer, guys!

oh what a tangled web I weave

Is it too much to hope that the first shots filmed for Episode VII won't be in front of a blue or green screen?

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    Quote Originally Posted by Suriyesh Rajinaathra View Post
    Is it too much to hope that the first shots filmed for Episode VII won't be in front of a blue or green screen?
    Not only do I feel this should be essential, I think they should make a point of giving evidence of it at the time of filming.

TheHolo.Net Poster

The Scorpion Prince
    Oil my peanuts, you blood-cursed bastards.
    DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Peter
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CrusaderJ11
    I guess we will get our first production stills during the summer then. I wonder if JJ goes all Into Darkness secrecy mode or if he is going to film this movie more "openly".

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Apparently shooting has already started: http://www.superherohype.com/news/29...ready-shooting

TheHolo.Net Poster

The Scorpion Prince
    Oil my peanuts, you blood-cursed bastards.
    DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Peter
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CrusaderJ11
    I guess those are mostly screen tests and second unit shoots. I doubt that JJ Abrams would be able to keep the first unit shoot a secret. Lucasfilm/Disney has been very open in the past two years when it came to production schedule and confirmed information. I expect a lot of news at the end of the month or at beginning of may. I think the only reason we do not have a confirmed cast list yet is because they are most likely still casting people and/or some actors might be replaced after the first few days of shooting. Full CGI characters might be casted in early 2015 like in the Guardians of the Galaxy movie where they casted Groot and Rocket Racoon after shooting the movie.

Since every lead actor will most likely work for 5-7 years for the mouse house Abrams and Kennedy might recast roles as soon as possible if somebody is not living up to their expectations. For example Peter Jackson replaced Aragorn in the LOTR and recasted Azog and Bolg after shooting the Hobbit.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    Wait, who was the first Aragorn??

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Stuart Townsend, aka Lestat from Queen of the Damned.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Holly
    Hmm, interesting. (Should I watch that movie? I've never seen it, or Interview with a Vampire [partial on the latter])

TheHolo.Net Poster

No, Mister Belargic. I expect you to... die.

AKA
    Vince
    Within the darkness just beyond the horizon; behind the shroud that blinds your sight
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: vinceisgreat
    Quote Originally Posted by Droo View Post
    Stuart Townsend, aka Lestat from Queen of the Damned.
    I kinda want to see some footage of him playing Aragorn. Simply because I can't unsee Viggo playing him and the thought is tickling me.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Ndonsa View Post
    Hmm, interesting. (Should I watch that movie? I've never seen it, or Interview with a Vampire [partial on the latter])
    Interview, yes. Queen, nooo.

Martinet
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    I expect a lot of news at the end of the month or at beginning of may.
    Bearing in mind we're talking about Disney here, I wouldn't be surprised if they intentionally hold off on any initial announcements until May 4th. They do love their little brand recognition type doodads.