Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Repeating Day - 10.138

TheHolo.Net Poster

Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Holly

Complete The Repeating Day - 10.138

Morning dawned bright, Adega Prime doing it's best to shine in the windows of the Jedi dormitories. All of the modular dorms were equipped with shades, but Ndonsa left hers open. Waking with the sun helped her feel a little more... normal. The thing that beeped on the shelf by her bed had been turned off forcibly by spear point several weeks ago, and she hadn't bothered trying to figure out how to turn it back on. The sun warmed her fur and she stretched, smoothing down her fur and pulling on clothes. They were not as loathsome as she had first found them to be, but still felt unnatural. As did the sonics shower, which was just like being blasted with warm air and she avoided it at all costs after trying it once. Also, the toilets were inside the buildings, which was completely unclean and against all she knew about such things, but they were similar to the one on board Evil Dirk's ship and everything was flushed away leaving no waste in the living quarters.

It was still very strange. She tied her headband on and adjusted her necklaces, making sure the one made of teeth was underneath some of the others. A bird thumped into her window, startling her, and Ndonsa peered out at it on the ground. It lay there, dazed, on the ground as a barely visible lump of feathers. She frowned.

Exiting her room with her spear in hand, she walked down the hallway past other doors where she could hear other padawans beginning to stir. Someone's beeping chrono was making noise, and Ndonsa hurried her steps, making her way out into the early morning light. The sun was not over the mountains yet, and as she walked to the mess tent she saw the Orryxian padawan, Akasha, leaving. Ndonsa padded into the mess hall, grabbed a tray and lined up with the other early morning risers for... some sort of oatmeal and canned fruit. Canned fruit tasted like regular fruit but sweeter and mushier, and always had a syrup on it that tended to run into everything else on the plate.

She took her utensil and stirred the oatmeal and fruit all together as she walked to a table and sat down alone to eat.

[out of character thread]

He'd not even bothered to brush his hair when he'd rolled out of bed this morning. It was just going to get mussed up again at some point over the course of the day, and as Jamis Kerr shuffled his way through the line for breakfast, he watched with still-cloudy eyes as a bowl of delightful oatmeal and a portion of fruit that looked just a touch sad. He supposed it had to do with being canned; he remembered the fresh fruit from home, and they'd never looked anything like these sad offerings. But still, food was food, and he needed something to begin his day, at least. So, oatmeal and sad fruit were the order of the morning.

Not entirely paying attention, the boy simply made for the closest open seat that offered the least amount of walking he'd have to do to get there.

And that was what made him choose to sit across from the Nehantite.

Immediately spearing a piece of fruit with a plastic spork before holding it up, he looked at his new table-mate from behind a mop of bangs that'd been partially brushed aside.

"I think they're trying to kill us," came his final verdict at the state of the... what fruit was this, even?!

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Holly
    Ndonsa considered that, and said, "This will not kill you." She looked him in the eye and then slowly dropped one eyelid in a wink. "It simply makes you wish you were dead."

Then she scooped up a big spoonful and shoved it in her mouth, chomping through the soft oatmeal and slightly firmer fruit with gusto.

Hwooroc wasn't so fussy, hefting spoonful after spoonful of fruity oatmeal to his mouth as he talked about his classes with Kala. The Nautolan seemed to be the only one aware of exactly how much of Hwooroc's oatmeal he was actually wearing on his face rather than eating, and tended to the mess while trying to stifle a laugh.

With a bit of trepidation, Jamis gave a sigh before taking a nibble of the fruit. It wasn't bad, but it certainly wasn't good. A bite of the oatmeal proved better, and unfolding his napkin, the boy set about removing the offending bits of fruit from his main course and setting them on the napkin. Finished, he looked to his breakfast partner while sliding the pile towards her.

"I don't think I'ma chance it," came his wry answer, a smile none-the-less on his face.

"You can have 'em."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Holly
    She picked up the offered food with her fingers, chewing energetically as she finished it off. Ndonsa licked her fingers clean loudly, and stacked her empty bowl inside his. "Your headfur is getting long, Ja-mis." She brushed her hand over her own cropped headfur and added, "I can cut it for you. A warrior should keep their vision clear."

A spork-full of oatmeal halfway to his mouth, Jamis considered the offer.

She certainly had a point, but he wasn't so sure he was ready to let go of his hair... still though, many of the padawans he'd seen in holo's of years past showed them with short hair and a single braid. It was something he'd considered, but the indecision was clear on his features.

"I dunno," he started, bringing the oatmeal to his mouth and finally taking a bit, half-chewing before swallowing.

"I've seen lots of holos of old padawans with their hair cut short, but I'm not sure It'd look right on me."

He spooned another bit of oatmeal, still in thought.

"I dunno, what do you think?"

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Holly
    She stared at him, and after a moment said, "It should be short. I said this." Ndonsa wondered if the boy was slow. "Or I can braid it against your head in rows," she reached across the table and drew her finger over his scalp, next to his part, and then rubbed a bit of his hair between her fingers. "Your headfur is thick, it would work well."

Ndonsa got up before he could answer, and picked up the bowls. "Perhaps tonight after dinner." The mess hall was being invaded by the youngest padawans, younglings, with their minders. The tall female Council member, Serena, was bringing up the rear of a line of children, her calm voice directing them to food and table. Ndonsa nodded at the woman, and hurried out without saying good-bye to Ja-mis. While she didn't mind children, it was easier to get to class on time if she avoided them entirely.

"Stay in line -!" Serena stopped a wayward youngling by grabbing her with the Force, but her overly excited companion darted out in front of Ndonsa as the Kufu made her way out the door. They collided with force, the little one bouncing backwards onto her rump.

"Ow!"

The mongoose knelt, perhaps conscious of Serena's proximity, and helped the youngling to her feet. "Watch where you are going," she said brusquely, though Serena sensed no ill feelings behind the words. She reached out and took the youngling's hand, smiling at the former shaman.

"Apologies, Ndonsa, they are full of beans this morning."

there is no passion; there is serenity
    there is no death; there is the Force

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Holly
    She straightened up. They hadn't even eaten yet, and breakfast was oatmeal, not beans. For a language called Basic, there were many things about it she did not understand. "Indeed," she said finally. Agreeing with a council member was the wise course of action, even if you didn't quite understand them.

Ndonsa bowed her head slightly, and walked out into the morning sun. Meditation class would be starting soon enough.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    "Don't slouch, Kennua."

In the meditation tent, Anbira paced around the group of a dozen padawans, gently correcting the posture of the Zabrak boy in front of him with a hand at his shoulder. The horn-headed padawan kept his eyes closed, back straightening as he sat cross-legged.

"This is meditation, not just a time to rest. You restore not only your body, but your mind and your spirit. Careful attunement of all three will ensure you are receptive to the mysteries of the force."

Satisfied for now that his students had a proper posture, Anbira took his own place at the head of the circle, sitting in the manner he had instructed the students to do. His back straight, head looking forward, the Jedi hermit placed his hands at his crossed knees and allowed his eyes to drift closed.

"Next comes breathing. It isn't just taking in air and letting it out. You don't simply breathe with your lungs. You breathe with your all. Deep through the nose, and let your breath ebb gently from the mouth. Feel yourself let go of what holds you back."

Eyes still shut, Anbira tilted his head almost imperceptibly.

"Ndonsa, come in. We've only just begun today."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Holly
    She slunk in, ears reddening even though no one was looking at her, and took a seat in the circle. She was larger than most of the padawans, older, and yet so far behind. They were similar in skill when it came to the magic of the Force, but the children had knowledge and familiarity with the customs of the galaxy that she was still struggling to keep up with.

Clear the mind.

She closed her eyes and began the calming breathing pattern, in through the nose and out through barely parted lips. In, and out. She pictured drawing thick fabric curtains all around herself, enclosing her in a dark cocoon of peace. The only thing here was the breathing...the Force...and Master Hicchoru's voice.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Holly
    An hour later, mind sufficiently cleared and energy cleansed, she thanked Master Hicchoru and jogged toward where some older padawans were helping clear brush. Eventually this field was to be planted with grains, but for now it needed to be emptied of existing plant life. It was ridiculous work for her, but she wasn't too proud to get her paws dirty even if the concept of planting anything was completely foreign. From the explanation of others she gathered that if you put seeds in the ground then the plants would grow and they would get food for the future, but why they wouldn't just hunt for what they needed...

She straightened from tugging on a securely rooted bush, and looked around. No, this place was much bigger than her tribe. To feed this many mouths it made some sense to prepare a place where food could be reliably found. Still. She looked at the bush and concentrated, yanking it out of the ground with the Force.

Dr. Theo emerged from the greenhouses, having just spent the last hour having a lively discussion with Dr. Arlan Solborne. Though he and the botanist only knew each other by reputation and several correspondences, the two seemed to get along well and chatted with ease on such topics as their work, their journeys, and the sorry state of today's youth.

But now it was back to work. He had to find whoever was in charge here and see about getting some proper lodging. The tiny one-room apartment where he had found B1 unloading his gear was simply unacceptable. Making his way back to the camp, he passed a field where a group of the aforementioned youth were dutifully working the land. He waved over the closest padawan, a small, red-furred individual.

"Excuse me, Miss... hrm, not a Shistavanan, snout's too narrow....not an Amaran, skull's not the right shape....not a Nalroni...I say, I don't think I am familiar with your species." He grabbed her firmly by the shoulders and quickly examined her up and down. "There, stand up straight, let me take a look. Wonderful specimen. Fascinating, we'll have to talk later on. But for now, where can I find the leader or whoever heads the zoning board?"

"Oh, where are my manners? Dr. Theo Phastus." He tipped his hat. "And you are?"
    -- Dr. Theo Phastus --
    Advanced degrees in Zoology and Geology

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Holly
    "Ndonsa," she replied, regarding the lizard-thing-person warily. He didn't look like he would be faster than anyone, let along the fastest. Still, she was learning to keep an open mind about this sort of thing. She stepped backward out of his reach, and smoothed the fur of her arms back down. What was zoning? Jamis said once that he often zoned out during history lessons. The lizard-person seemed to want her to turn around so he could stare at her backside, but she stood firmly resolute.

"Doctor Theo, the Jedi Council will be in their meeting room after lunch. I do not know if they zone ...boards or not."

"Ah yes, the council meeting room; I believe a saw that on my way here. Very well, to the Council I go. Thank you, Miss. Ndonsa, we'll have to continue this on another occasion and you can tell me all about your species and your homeworld. Until then. Carry on."

Theo replaced his helmet and continued down the road, allowing the Nehantite to return to her work.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Holly
    She watched him go, feeling a bit nervous about their next meeting. Ndonsa decided it would be better if she avoided him in the future, and returned to her work. By the time for the midday meal, she was hot and sweaty from the work, and the mess tent only helped keep in the heat of the day. Ndonsa glared at the loaf of meat that disgraced her plate. She needed to go hunting for some proper meat.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    A breeze passed Ndonsa by as she queued up in line at the mess tent. It seemed to be amiss until the source was revealed. At a table inside the tent, one of the padawans, Chen Duaar, fell out of his seat, his plate of meatloaf going flying along with his fork. In place of his meal on the table, the menacing figure of Draiya Naaianeye appeared from thin air, the business end of her fist appearing like a battering ram where Chen's face used to be a moment before.

"I got you!"

Chen fell ass over teacup, holding a reddening side of his face as hot tears threatened to come out. Draiya was not moved.

"Too complacent!" she scolded, "Your senses should always be on guarrd!"

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Andrew
    A stunned hush fell over the lunchroom crowd, and then a strong, booming voice pierced the silence:

"Miss Naaianeya!"

Solomon came swiftly down the aisle between the cafeteria tables, and before Draiya could extricate herself, he'd laid his large, three-fingered hand firmly on her shoulder make sure she couldn't ghost and bolt. Then he looked down at the boy clutching the side of his face on the floor.

"Padawans Shan and Drax, will you please take Mr. Duarr to the medical tent?"

As a Togruta and Rodian wordlessly got up from their lunches to help Chen to his feet, Solomon guided Draiya off the table and marched her toward the exit.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Holly
    Ndonsa poked the loaf with her utensil, watching the padawan be frog-marched out of the tent by Solomon, a Jedi of no small renown in the group. He was missing an arm and some fingers, but had obviously been able to stay useful to the group despite his horrific mutilations. Those who could not be useful, in Ndonsa's experience, usually took a spear into the jungle for the Long Hunt. They did not return.

She choked down the meat of unclear origin, and hurried out of the mess tent, grabbing a canteen and filling it just outside. If she hurried she would get to the sparring rings before anyone else showed up.

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast