Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Night Without Darkness

TheHolo.Net Poster

Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Jenny
    “Very impressive.. a castle fit for a Chume.”

The girl smiled sleepily and moments later was smothering a yawn with her hand as she appraised her handiwork. “I'm not tired,” she protested, before anything further could be said.

Dusting sand from his palms, Salem got to his feet. “You aren't?” he lifted an eyebrow and smiled as Beatrix shook her head. “Well, I am. I'm going to bed.. and I think I'll take Fiona the Firaxan shark with me.”

At the thought of her precious stuffed shark being shared with anyone, the young Chume had a sudden change of heart. “But I'm more tired. I should get Fiona.”

Head tilted back, Salem favored her with a knowing smile then held out his arms to her. “Come on, then. Up you come.”

TheHolo.Net Poster

Sometimes I think about having you executed, just to see the expression on your face!

DragonCon 09

AKA
    Erin
    That Salem knew about Fiona was impressive, and very telling about where the little queen though he ranked in the scheme of importance. Not everyone knew about her stuffed animals.. especially not her favorite one. The revelation was over shadowed by Bea's sudden exuberance a moment later when Salem held his arms out to her. With a second wind, she ran to him and let him pick her up.

Razielle gathered up her daughter's things for her, putting the spade in her back pack. She asked Beatrix where she had left her sandals and the girl pointed. The place she indicated was now covered in foamy waves, and the little sandals were floating out to sea. She watched for a minute, her lips pursed to one side, then just sighed and continued folding up their blanket. After collecting a few of their shells from the castle, she added them to Bea's bag for her to find later, and then they started back.

The sound of the waves and her comfortable perch soon found Beatrix nodding in her father's arms, one of her arms around his neck, and her cheek on his shoulder.

"It's late, even for her." Razielle commented. The chume was not a fan of bed time.

"She's going to be a handful in the morning.", she cringed in anticipation.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Jenny
    Salem headed towards the path that would lead them out of the cove and back up to the plateau surrounding the Reef Fortress, in no rush as he went. He looked over the top of Beatrix's head at Razielle, almost smiling.

“You should get at least a few hours of sleep, then.”

TheHolo.Net Poster

Sometimes I think about having you executed, just to see the expression on your face!

DragonCon 09

AKA
    Erin
    It was not yet midnight on Hapes. If she were to join Beatrix in slumber now she would have many sufficient hours of rest to deal with a bothersome little monarch in the morning. Salem had not said that though, he had said ' a few'. That sounded very promising. Razielle did smile, though it seemed a little predatory in nature.

"Me? I'll get plenty. Maybe you can get up and sing the jelly song at breakfast.", she teased, not going into the details.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Jenny
    “The Minister of State does not sing,” Salem replied dryly.

As they climbed the slope ahead of them, the Reef Fortress loomed into view. Silent, ever watchful captains of the Chume'nor stood on guard, the evening breeze tugging at their cloaks. They sank to one knee as Razielle approached, their heads bowed.

TheHolo.Net Poster

DragonCon 09

AKA
    Erin
    Razielle did not comment, but were she a betting woman she would place her bets against Salem on that count. Everyone sang the jelly song.

Saying nothing to the bent figures of the Chume'nor, Razielle continued on up the path. Though they would never speak it, some of them might believe that they were all the same interchangeable guard to the regent. Not so, she knew each by name, face and rank, and had familiarized herself with each of their records. Each of them had sworn oaths to defend both herself, and Beatrix. She could also sense the dissatisfaction that went unsaid as their beloved Queen Mother was carried along by Minister Ave. If they thought it too familiar, or inappropriate the words would never be spoken. Their opinions on who should handle the sleeping chume would not have been received. Even were Prince Tristan still hanging about, she was the Regent of the Consortium now as his legally wedded wife, that made her will the only one of any importance. Right now it was her will to spend her time with Beatrix's godfather, and enjoy the remainder of her stay in the royal family's retreat.

Sandy pathways gave way to carpeted halls as they entered the Reef Fortress.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Jenny
    Inside, the Chume'nor stood along the hallways of the fortress like the suits of armor that lined the corridors in the royal residences of Iziz City. If Salem was concerned by their presence, he did not show it, acknowledging the silent guards with a nod only when they came forward to open doors before the Queen Regent.

The royal sleeping quarters were located in a tower at the centre of the fortress, accessible only by a secure turbolift. Two of Her Majesty's Select Commando's stood with pikes crossed over the entrance to it, which they drew away as the Chume neared them. In the privacy of the elevator, Salem looked sidelong at Razielle over the top of their daughters head and smiled.

TheHolo.Net Poster

DragonCon 09

AKA
    Erin
    There had been a time when a Salem smile might have had Princess Shadana's knees wobbling to the nearest seat. The Queen Regent of Hapes was no less impacted by the sight, but time and experience had taught her to prepare for the accompanying shift in gravity that made her bones feel suddenly weightless. It could be done.

Razielle smiled back, stepping forward she brushed a strand of hair out of Beatrix's face, tucking it behind her ear. She kissed her little fingers where they rested on Salem's shoulder, and then stepped back as the door opened once more.

It was not until they had arrived at Beatrix's room that their only company was Lira, who had been absorbed in a book spread upon her lap, where she was seated beside the chume's bed waiting to put her to sleep. She looked truly uncomfortable that she had been caught unaware, and popped from her seat like a cork from a bottle, but without a sound. When she would have been happy to take over, Razielle just shook her head and Lira vanished in a moment. It was not every night they could put their child to bed together. Salem held Bea while Razielle exchanged her little dress for a nightgown, and they both tucked her in.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Jenny
    Salem waited until Beatrix was settled, with Fiona the shark clutched tightly to her chest, before leaving her bed-side. With the curtains drawn to shut out the perpetual sunshine, only the girl's night-light cast a soft glow against the bedroom walls in the pattern of the Cluster's constellations. Stepping out of the room, Salem edged the door closed behind him.

TheHolo.Net Poster

DragonCon 09

AKA
    Erin
    Spending time with Bea on the beach..? Both of them putting her to bed...? The normalcy of the whole evening was sufficient enough to cause an ache beneath Razielle's ribs. Just after telling herself that she would maintain her composure, act with a little bit of the decorum the Regent of the Consortium should have, Razielle successfully made it out the door before her resolve caved in. The door had no sooner shut, than her pale arms closed around Salem from behind, pulling his back to her front and laying her cheek against his shoulder.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12