Thread: Godzilla [2014]

Movies Godzilla [2014]

I was not excited at all when I heard that Godzilla is being rebooted by an American studio. Being so badly burned by the version with Matthew Broderick tends to make one more than a little skeptical.

Now the first teaser trailer is out, and...well...is it possible that it might actually not be a total cesspool of suck? Of course, only time will tell, but the teaser is decent, and when you consider the cast involved (Bryan Cranston, Elizabeth Olsen, Ken Watanabe, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, and David Strathairn, among others), maybe it's worth keeping an eye on.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    This is a really well-made trailer. Of course, that could mean anything these days, but I'm definately interested. There's a human element here that was missing from the Pacific Rim trailers, which in my estimation amounted to nothing more than glorified transformers and shouty Idris Elba. This I want to see because it conveys the enormity of the threat, and makes Godzilla look truly intimidating.

Edit: Just read in the official synopsis that Godzilla will battle other monsters. I know this is a staple of the franchise, but honestly, my enthusiasm has just gone through the floor. Big things hitting other big things just doesn't do it for me. Maybe the theatrical trailer might assuage my fears, but every second spent on huge monsters punching each other through skyscrapers is a second not spent on the humans, and consequently wasted.
    Last edited by Droo; Dec 14th, 2013 at 06:35:16 AM.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Nzat
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nikita Satach Steam ID: Nzat
    I disagree - in monster movies any moment of big things not hitting other big things is time wasted by showing humans. I want monster carnage!!! Cities leveled! Mass hysteria!!! AND GIANT SHOVELS OF SALTED POPCORN SHOVED IN MY MOUTH! That and shiny tin foil hats with felt dressing and pipes from the local hardware store guns shooting imaginary ray guns at shadowy things in smoke filled rooms.

Trailer looks interesting. Meh... we'll see. I'm a jaded film geek. I don't hope for anything anymore.

"I think of my body as a side effect of my mind." - Carrie Fisher

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Inappropriate for Public Consumption

Quote Originally Posted by Mu Satach View Post
    I disagree - in monster movies any moment of big things not hitting other big things is time wasted by showing humans. I want monster carnage!!! Cities leveled! Mass hysteria!!! AND GIANT SHOVELS OF SALTED POPCORN SHOVED IN MY MOUTH! That and shiny tin foil hats with felt dressing and pipes from the local hardware store guns shooting imaginary ray guns at shadowy things in smoke filled rooms.

Trailer looks interesting. Meh... we'll see. I'm a jaded film geek. I don't hope for anything anymore.
    She GETS it! Yes, that's exactly what I want too - for example the Transformers movies were utterly abhorrent when they had humans in them. When robots were beating the shit out of everything, that's when it WORKED!

And to be honest, Godzilla has been about two things - a social comment on nuclear power / weapons and Godzilla beating the shit out of other monsters and the scenery. So you mean they are looking at doing a real Godzilla movie? Sign me up!

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

I guess we just have different tastes. I'm burned out on brainless action in films. It does absolutely nothing for me. I don't want to pay for it, and I don't see why action and emotional/intellectual engagement needs to be mutually exclusive. Also, when you use spoiler tags in the first paragraph of your post, please use the extra square brackets to stop the text appearing in the activity feed, like this:

(except with square brackets instead)

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    I really enjoyed Pacific Rim

oh what a tangled web I weave

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

I have no opinion on Pacific Rim as a film, as I've never taken the time to see it. The reason for that was because the trailers snuffed out my interest, which was what I was talking about, the difference in the way the films are conveyed in their trailers. The first half of the teaser is dedicated to a really intense sequence that puts you inside the head of one of the soldiers plummeting into what could very well be hell itself, I loved that.

Please let this movie live up to its trailers. PLEASE.