Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Improving the Forums

TheHolo.Net Poster

This is not the Empress you're looking for

DragonCon 09
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Dani
    An addition,maybe you didnt get the analogy of a car model- here . there is no loss. either WE like it, and use it. or DELETE it from the server. is that too hard to comp?
    as i said... keep it on topic. Otherwise posts such as this are going to be removed. such comments directed at other posters, especially a staff member are unwarranted and unwelcomed.

JediMaster Orin Di'Freeze
    I never would have thought this a place to shoot down and idea. After all. Star wars was created on the idea of diversity. maybe you people havent read that part yet.

good day.

God speed.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Silver-Tongued Devil

Yearly or possibly monthly awards for well played characters and stories. That people could vote on.

Something like:

Best Villain

Best up and coming evil character.

Best Hero

Best up and coming new writer.

Best roleplaying story

Best storytelling story

ummm

Most Jedi like character (What i mean by this is what Jedi on the boards best conveys the actual Jedi in the movies etc)

Stuff like that. I think it would be fun and a better way to motivate people to come up with good plots, stories and characters.

Maybe a listing of people who have won the award for the year or month. So people can view and see a link where the person won or why he/she recieved the award

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: W4BSY Steam ID: ApexLupine
    Originally posted by JediMaster Orin Di'Freeze
    I never would have thought this a place to shoot down and idea. After all. Star wars was created on the idea of diversity. maybe you people havent read that part yet.

good day.

God speed.
    I should have woken up earlier, heh. I just want to address this real quick, and hopefully clear this misunderstanding up a little more. First off, there's really nothing from stopping any two members from doing this if they are on at the same time. But, Morgan does have a very good point - a majority of us just can't. I myself am a prime example of his 'exotic hours' comment, as I work nights and sleep days (sometimes ALL day).

As far as the chatroom, it's a great idea. Problem is, we run the risk of bots and spammers flooding Fans if we have it hosted and a part of the site. For the sake of keeping such nuisances away, all we need to do is tweak it. Turn it into a satellite operation kind of deal, where there's no official chatroom on the site, yet someone can host IM chatrooms for people to talk and whatnot. I don't see anything wrong with setting dates and times (maybe have them displayed somewhere on the Portal) that are the easiest for everyone, and holding 'chatroom get togethers' on Trillian or Yahoo or whatever IM service you use.

The yearly and monthly awards I really like as well. Like you said, it gives people motivation to write. And possibly learn from others how to write better. I know that when I first showed up here, my writing was pretty bad. But I read what alot of people did, saw how they wrote and looked at their styles, and built from that. Not only that, but it's a great feeling winning an award like any of the categories you listed (especially the ummm one). At least for me it would be

JediMaster Orin Di'Freeze
    Originally posted by s'Ilancy
    I should have woken up earlier, heh. I just want to address this real quick, and hopefully clear this misunderstanding up a little more. First off, there's really nothing from stopping any two members from doing this if they are on at the same time. But, Morgan does have a very good point - a majority of us just can't. I myself am a prime example of his 'exotic hours' comment, as I work nights and sleep days (sometimes ALL day).

As far as the chatroom, it's a great idea. Problem is, we run the risk of bots and spammers flooding Fans if we have it hosted and a part of the site. For the sake of keeping such nuisances away, all we need to do is tweak it. Turn it into a satellite operation kind of deal, where there's no official chatroom on the site, yet someone can host IM chatrooms for people to talk and whatnot. I don't see anything wrong with setting dates and times (maybe have them displayed somewhere on the Portal) that are the easiest for everyone, and holding 'chatroom get togethers' on Trillian or Yahoo or whatever IM service you use.

The yearly and monthly awards I really like as well. Like you said, it gives people motivation to write. And possibly learn from others how to write better. I know that when I first showed up here, my writing was pretty bad. But I read what alot of people did, saw how they wrote and looked at their styles, and built from that. Not only that, but it's a great feeling winning an award like any of the categories you listed (especially the ummm one). At least for me it would be
    holy cow, the voice of reason.

My name is Rob. how are you?

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    Please edit your post so you do not set off the swear filter. I realise you are new here - but please remember everyone is required to go by the rules of the board whether you have read them or not.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    As an extension/alternative to the idea of awards... I think it would be cool to do a thread showcase. Again, this is something TheRebelFaction does, and I think it's pretty cool. Basically, once a month members vote on which threads they have been enjoying. You can nominate as many as you want, and at the end of voting the top 4 or 5 are stickied at the top of the forum, and linked to in a front page update.

Lion El' Jonson
    Something like a database that ties all of our characters to our OOC persons, and includes information such as our RL location and timezone, might be useful; then again, most of this forum's functions can be used to extract information like this, so I doubt the time it'd take to maintain would be worth it.

The Chat Room idea sounded good to me, but I understand the problems that we'd likely have with it. Furthermore, as people have already pointed out, I doubt that many of us have the time to devote a couple of hours to chatroom RPing. It sounds like fun, but I doubt it'd fly.

Obviously, the key element in reviving the forums is getting Fans to grow again. We're going to need more people if we're ever going to reach a level of activity such as that which we had in the old days. Therefore, anything that increases demand to join Fans sounds like a good idea.

TheHolo.Net Poster

Sitting in a high-backed chair doing some plotting.
    I'm all for the idea of having awards. Especially as we could use it to recognise writing talent, which brings me to my own suggestion.

Make it possible for people to comment on threads when they are completed, a kind of review as it were in which people can offer their views and give constructive criticism of threads. I feel that there has been an increase in the storytelling aspect- particularly between the factions- with people actually sitting down and planning a story rather than just creating a situtation and plunging the characters into it. Allowing people to comment on threads, to tell others about threads that they have read and enjoyed would be a great way to foster a writing community.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    Originally posted by Tiberius Anar
    I'm all for the idea of having awards. Especially as we could use it to recognise writing talent, which brings me to my own suggestion.

Make it possible for people to comment on threads when they are completed, a kind of review as it were in which people can offer their views and give constructive criticism of threads. I feel that there has been an increase in the storytelling aspect- particularly between the factions- with people actually sitting down and planning a story rather than just creating a situtation and plunging the characters into it. Allowing people to comment on threads, to tell others about threads that they have read and enjoyed would be a great way to foster a writing community.
    I really like this idea

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Originally posted by Dasquian Belargic
    As an extension/alternative to the idea of awards... I think it would be cool to do a thread showcase. Again, this is something TheRebelFaction does, and I think it's pretty cool. Basically, once a month members vote on which threads they have been enjoying. You can nominate as many as you want, and at the end of voting the top 4 or 5 are stickied at the top of the forum, and linked to in a front page update.
    I like this idea - especially the link to from the front page. Fits in with what s'Il and I were thinking.

But we also need suggestions for the rest of the board. Not just the RPing community. If you see the "Star Wars" guys around, tell them to stop by here.

imported_Blade Ice
    I personally like the awards Idea's bring some of the lesser know hero's and villians to light. I mean a good example would be my character Blade Ice I'm know more for my contrubutions at Meras then here at fans.

I like all of the ideas floating around here the chat room Idea was a good one but morgan is right it would cause to many problems for the staff.

As for what I would like to see it depends more on the groups then the staff. I would like to see more group oriented threads. I would like to see more darksiders running around turning the Jedi upside down. I would like to see a all out group against group war going on. I would like to things change in the IC aspect. I would like the whole face of the galaxy be twisted around. But like I said that depends on if the groups are willing and I don't see that happening.

I would also like to see more planet take over threads. I think maybe the award system or just a recongintion system would do wonders to change things a bit.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    I would like the whole face of the galaxy be twisted around.
    The Empire are taking over the galaxy, and the Jedi are going to become outlaws. The galaxy is getting twisted around

Originally posted by Dasquian Belargic
    The Empire are taking over the galaxy, and the Jedi are going to become outlaws. The galaxy is getting twisted around
    Its all just a matter of time. Once that happens, I can see there being a bit more activity, since there will be so much new things to do then.

imported_Blade Ice
    Yeah for the Jedi (the biggest force using group) and the empire(the biggest non force using group) and the bounty hunters (the biggest non group oriented faction). But what about everyone else like those who can't play Jedi well at all or aren't very interested in playing imperials (me included)?

I'm not saying it won't be fun just asking what it has to offer for others.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    All Force users are going to be affected. The Imperials don't like Sith or Dark Jedi either

imported_Blade Ice
    Oh okay thats what i orginally heard but the way you and rogan where talking it only involved Jedi.

Wich means it wouldn't affect me in anyway what so ever since right now I only play two failing characters a sith and a bounty hunter.

Now if it affects all force users then I can have some fun with it too.

Well, what I was trying to say was, with the galaxy being flipped upside down, that there are going to be a lot of different story and Rping and just everything when the scene has changed and everything is in a kind of was/domination. Everyone should be able to get some kind of action out of the event.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Anyone else have any ideas?

I think we should try to put an emphasis on the other parts of the board - the collectors and the movie buffs are just as important a part of these forums as the RPers. So we should be trying to draw in more posters for those parts of the board as well.

s'Il and I are/were working on getting some ad space on some webcomics, to advertise Sw-fans. We would need $$ to spend on the ads, and so the thought was brought up that we could set up a paypal account for advertising $$ for the posters to donate into.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Silver-Tongued Devil

Yep ill make sure all you renegade force users out there are hounded and hunted at every turn.

I think the change in scenary will be good for rejuvinating the boards a bit. Plus when the new movie comes out im sure there is gonna be a wave of noobs to moderate and teach.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast